The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 01-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
Fizicks
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
I have a question concerning a negative review I saw: this one person (I think of him as a fanboy, in a negative sense) said that MOS got Superman, the character, wrong and that they got his core concept wrong. He also added that he didn't like the idea that he was a flawed hero, pointing out that he is a hero and nothing else should be said about it. Now, what's confusing about these reviews is that, I SAW Superman in that movie, and got him; way more than I did from SR. He was Superman, nothing more nor less. Flawed, relatable, fallible, but in the end, he was still the idealistic hero we know him to be at the end of it.

So my question is, a) what did that guy mean by what he said, and b) what's your overall POV of that criticism?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
At the end of the day, he grows into that "example". Man of Steel's Clark is still growing into that figure.
Exactly what Smallville Fan says. I've read criticism like this so many times and it's starting to annoy me. People say that the Superman in MOS should be that idealistic superhero like the one in the Donner films, instead of the flawed, more humanized Clark seen in Man of Steel. What they do not realize is that Man of Steel was kind of like a "Superman Begins", where we see Clark discovering his powers, learning to cope with it, as well as finding his identity. In Superman: The Movie, Clark was already Superman for quite a while and is thus already the idealistic superhero. Certainly he didn't get to that point immediately! As Smallville Fan said, Man of Steel is the first act of a large story where Clark will eventually grow into that more ideal superhero where people look up to. So no, Man of Steel did not get the character wrong at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
I'd suggest books like Kingdom Come where we see Superman as a complex flawed character. As well as that perhaps have a look at Earth One or watch episodes of Smallville where we see him with very human flaws, I mean for god sake he's lived and raised as a human being.
I actually didn't like the take in Earth One. Yes, it did give Superman a more human and imperfect side, but it also put in the element of revenge and made him into a reluctant hero, which I think is taking the "flawed" character a bit too far.

Last edited by Fizicks; 01-03-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Fizicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
roach
I am the night

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also in Superman: The Movie...Jor-el trains him to be Superman for several years.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizicks View Post

I actually didn't like the take in Earth One. Yes, it did give Superman a more human and imperfect side, but it also put in the element of revenge and made him into a reluctant hero, which I think is taking the "flawed" character a bit too far.

I mainly put Earth One on the recommendations list as a lot of stuff from that book was used for the movie.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Im currently working my way through the Journey of Discovery extra for Man of Steel and I did wonder beforehand if Henry spoke in his normal accent between takes but here we see that he didn't. He stuck with the American accent but broke character (if that makes sense). I did remember reading that he had to work up to the American accent and he couldn't just switch to it so I wasn't surprised he stuck with the accent. Just something I found interesting.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Im currently working my way through the Journey of Discovery extra for Man of Steel and I did wonder beforehand if Henry spoke in his normal accent between takes but here we see that he didn't. He stuck with the American accent but broke character (if that makes sense). I did remember reading that he had to work up to the American accent and he couldn't just switch to it so I wasn't surprised he stuck with the accent. Just something I found interesting.
I actually noticed that too. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I wasn't impressed with his American accent so I'm glad he kept it up in between takes.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:39 AM   #8
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I actually noticed that too. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I wasn't impressed with his American accent so I'm glad he kept it up in between takes.
How cone you weren't impressed?

I thought it was spot on, was very happy with it, thought yep sounds like Superman lol

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 01-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #9
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Yeah, his accent sounded fine to me.

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Cavill's accent didn't sound bad, but there were just certain phrases that sounded a bit odd. His accent is better than Hunnam's, but there were certain times when it reminded me of that.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
nogarni
New User - Level 0

a new GIRL OF STEEL fan film!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

nogarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
JoeFriday37
New User - Level 0

I thought the movie was amazing. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it. I wrote a pretty massive article on it actually on tumblr. http://helpthemonsters.tumblr.com/po...an-of-tomorrow

I don't think there was anything wrong with any of the cast. It's a shame we didn't get to see more of The Daily Planet guys, but I'm hoping there'll be enough time for them in the next movie. It's a little worrying that there's so much planned for the next one, but I trust Zack and David completely.

JoeFriday37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Has anybody read the novelization? I read some of it today, and I thought it was quite good.

Interestingly, when Clark is under the world engine, it was written so Clark is remembering his father's words, which is what I always thought would have been cool to have in the movie (though the line I imagined was a different one).

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Yeah I've read it, which is why I'm hoping we get an extended edition. There is a lot of dialogue that didn't make it into the movie, and according to some those scenes were filmed and cut for time.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I've just watched Trailers 2 and 3 for this and I still get that same buzz watching them now that I did when I saw them back when they came out. Trailer 3 is definitely the best movie trailer I have ever seen, its a perfect trailer, shows you so much yet it doesn't spoil a single thing about the film.

Last edited by BH/HHH; 01-12-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #16
georgec
Not a hero

I rewatched the trailers last week. I agree about trailer 3 - it's awesome.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
I rewatched the trailers last week. I agree about trailer 3 - it's awesome.
Its so good isn't it? Summarises the movie perfectly in 3 minutes

Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #18
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Its so good isn't it? Summarises the movie perfectly in 3 minutes
Yea and the music was fantastic, too.

I remember seeing the movie and thinking during the scene where Clark gets his suit, "This moment was so much more powerful in the trailer with the music building up."

But anyway, that's why I choose to have faith in Snyder. I think the guy has the right DNA and feel for how to tell these stories. MoS' issues boiled down to the script and pacing (but I still enjoyed it overall). With a better script I really do think Snyder could knock one out of the park.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #19
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFriday37 View Post
I thought the movie was amazing. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it. I wrote a pretty massive article on it actually on tumblr. http://helpthemonsters.tumblr.com/po...an-of-tomorrow

I don't think there was anything wrong with any of the cast. It's a shame we didn't get to see more of The Daily Planet guys, but I'm hoping there'll be enough time for them in the next movie. It's a little worrying that there's so much planned for the next one, but I trust Zack and David completely.
Welcome. I agree . The cast are fantastic.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:33 AM   #20
bluearth
Side-Kick

After watching the film again, how do they explain how the craft he arrvied in showed up at a military base without the military finding where it came from and thus where he lives and thus who superman is? Thats probably the only plot hole I ran across that really bothered me

Last edited by bluearth; 01-16-2014 at 05:10 AM.
bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:54 AM   #21
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
After watching the film again, how do they explain how the craft he arrvied in showed up at a military base without the military finding how where it came from and thus where he lives and thus who superman is? Thats probably the only plot hole I ran across that really bothered me
I think Superman just carried it out of his own barn and flew it to a safe place where he regrouped with Col Hardy and the rest of the military.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:09 AM   #22
bluearth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I think Superman just carried it out of his own barn and flew it to a safe place where he regrouped with Col Hardy and the rest of the military.
Ill take that as an explanation

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #23
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
After watching the film again, how do they explain how the craft he arrvied in showed up at a military base without the military finding where it came from and thus where he lives and thus who superman is? Thats probably the only plot hole I ran across that really bothered me
Superman was there so he probably dropped it off

Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #24
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Yeah....that's the explanation I came up with myself. I think the novelization did say he brought it to them, but I can't remember now.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #25
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Yea I was scratching my head on that as well.....I assumed that's why that soldier said they got superman in tow lol