The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #226
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - Part 11

Some people are crazy defensive here acting like something written by a screenwriter is the infallible, definitive, word of Marvel.

I'm sure if you go over everything released so far within the MCU with a fine comb you'll pull up continuity errors and things inconsistent with how the characters have been established.

So far as I can tell Shane Black mostly disregarded what Jon Favreau did with the 10 Rings in favour of his own version, going so far as making it seem like this group was news to Stark despite the 10 Rings being the reason he ever even became Iron Man!

Writers are just human and despite there being many people vested in a cohesive MCU surely somethings slip by.

So far as his strength, TFA Cap definitely seem to be more than peek human just judging from his first scene after the transformation;he did a full sprint after a speeding vehicle for what I assume was at least a few miles, he dove after a submarine, and iirc peeled it open like a can of sardines and pulled kruger out.

I haven't gotten around to seeing the AoS episode saved on my PVR, what was the exact quote anyways?

From the lazy google search I did the most weight on ever pulled was a train weighing in at 297 tons, some other guy pulled a plane that was 188 tons.

But what kind of tractor are we talking about anyways, don't they come in all manner of sizes?

Regardless, if it really is 50 thousand tons then I feel that sort of feat should be left to the Hulk or Thor, and leave Cap within 300-600 tons.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #227
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr0oT View Post
But what kind of tractor are we talking about anyways, don't they come in all manner of sizes?
Liebherr PR 764. Operating weight: 97,488 - 116,150 lbs (48 to 58 tons)

By comparison, an M1 Abrams battle tank weighs around 68 tons, a C17 cargo plane is 140 tons empty or 290 at maximum takeoff capacity and Enterprise- or Nimitz- class aircraft carriers are right around 100,000 tons.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion

Last edited by Whiskey Tango; 01-05-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #228
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:

So far as I can tell Shane Black mostly disregarded what Jon Favreau did with the 10 Rings in favour of his own version, going so far as making it seem like this group was news to Stark despite the 10 Rings being the reason he ever even became Iron Man!
I have no idea how you can come up with that conclusion, please elaborate.
The Mandarin might have been news to him, sure, but the Ten Rings?

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #229
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Which is sadly the minority around these parts.

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 01-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #230
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Liebherr PR 764. Operating weight: 97,488 - 116,150 lbs (48 to 58 tons)

By comparison, an M1 Abrams battle tank weighs around 68 tons, a C17 cargo plane is 140 tons empty or 290 at maximum takeoff capacity and Enterprise- or Nimitz- class aircraft carriers are right around 100,000 tons.
Well hell, if some weirdo who ambitions to be in the guiness book of records can haul around 300 tons then I can accept the idea of Steve doing that and more, in a similar context anyways.

Pulling a train on a track is much different then pushing or pulling something without any momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
I'll need to watch the film a third time but throughout all of IM3 never did I get the impression that the 10 Rings terrorist organization was being recognized as anything but new.

I felt it would have been appropriate if there was reference to "hey these are the bastards Stane hired to kidnap me", but everyone involved in IM3 seemed to treat them as a new threat and not just because Slatterly was a new front man.

Do you feel I'm completely off the mark about that?

It also seems convoluted that Aldrich would have had his terrorist organization kidnap his enemy and left it at having them trying to extract weapons manufacturing information out of him and leaving Stane to do as he did.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #231
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
so who is writing the novelization of the script? I wonder when it will come out.
Does Marvel even put out novelizations of its films? The only things I've seen are the tie-in comics and the kids' story books that give away moth of the plot a few months before each film is released.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #232
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
It's too far-fetched.
Its not whether its far fetched. Its whether it fits with the rest of his portrayal. Stuff like this happens all the time in comics. Its best to just learn to spot major outliers for what they are, and ignore them.

That said. . . are we *sure* its the same model of bulldozer as in the link?

Last edited by metaphysician; 01-06-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #233
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Its not whether its far fetched. Its whether it fits with the rest of his portrayal. Stuff like this happens all the time in comics. Its best to just learn to spot major outliers for what they are, and ignore them.
I was being sacarstic.

1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 01-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #234
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
That said. . . are we *sure* its the same model of bulldozer as in the link?
I am certain.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #235
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
My issue with it was more that this is the group that originally crippled him, kidnapped him, and held him captive for months, and the Mandarin is apparently their leader. And yet, that never really comes up, at no point does Tony seem to really ponder this or have it weigh on his mind. It was a missed opportunity.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #236
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Saw a movie on TV this weekend, and well...

Evans and Scar Jo ten years ago:

Them on Cap 2 set:

Eh....just bored waiting for new info.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 01-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #237
fixxxer
Side-Kick

This MCU Cap's strength level/bulldozer BS goes on for any longer and y'all get a 500,000 word dissertation that would involve, but not be constrained to... frictional coefficients, soil densities, kitchen midden, skull measurements, random draconian edicts, seemingly non-linear epistemology-based axioms, epinephrine synthesis, WWII era U-Boat propeller angular momentum statistics and the hidden meaning of REM's "E-Bow The Letter". In other words, you have been warned.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #238
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
This MCU Cap's strength level/bulldozer BS goes on for any longer and y'all get a 500,000 word dissertation that would involve, but not be constrained to... frictional coefficients, soil densities, kitchen midden, skull measurements, random draconian edicts, seemingly non-linear epistemology-based axioms, epinephrine synthesis, WWII era U-Boat propeller angular momentum statistics and the hidden meaning of REM's "E-Bow The Letter". In other words, you have been warned.
O_O my stupid brain does not compute

Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #239
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Lawd... New day, New "Is Chris Evans gone as Cap?" rumors pop up.

This after the site-that-will-not-be-named posted some lovely quotes from Chris about playing Steve Rogers and how much he loves playing him...

Old 01-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #240
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

He loves it so much he's running for the hills! Must be a slow news day.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #241
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:

Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #242
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
He loves it so much he's running for the hills! Must be a slow news day.
It's all kinds of stupid. Cele*****y "reporting" on rumors based pretty much on spec.

Stupid, kind of entertaining in a groanworthy way. (Though you won't hear me complain if they eventually went the BuckyCap route! Eventually.)

Old 01-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #243
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
There were pages of nitpicky posts about the helmet, chinstrap, wings, color, lack of stripes, etc., on Cap's SHIELD suit so the strength discussion is par for the course.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #244
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Oh how I yearn for the classic discussions of hobbit feet and chest hair. We were so young and carefree in those days.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #245
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh how I yearn for the classic discussions of hobbit feet and chest hair. We were so young and carefree in those days.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #246
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
It was kind of like that, yeah.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #247
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
It was kind of like that, yeah.

Some people have too much time on their hands these days.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #248
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
My issue with it was more that this is the group that originally crippled him, kidnapped him, and held him captive for months, and the Mandarin is apparently their leader. And yet, that never really comes up, at no point does Tony seem to really ponder this or have it weigh on his mind. It was a missed opportunity.
Thank you, you worded my discontent and reasoning better than I had, and the worst thing about it is that all it would have taken is a few lines of dialogue.

Quote:

I'm sure a mathematician could come up with a formula based on that video, you have the weight of the machine, and since he's on a football field you can hypotheisize how fast he is going for the distance we see him cover and after factoring things like the resistance given by the field come up with a close approximation of how many watts of power he is generating.

Then you take into consideration that his time "was not even close" to Captain America's and perhaps assume that Cap pushed the weight at least 1.5 to 2 times faster than he did.

That considered and it really seems like this is ridiculously overpowered for Cap to be, with that sort of power he'd have been ripping off Hydra heads quicker than they could grow in TFA with every hit he made.

I think it's pretty apologetic for some to come on here and preach in a close minded manner that the script writers really did put much thought into this and that it is infallible canon.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #249
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
I'm sure a mathematician could come up with a formula based on that video, you have the weight of the machine, and since he's on a football field you can hypotheisize how fast he is going for the distance we see him cover and after factoring things like the resistance given by the field come up with a close approximation of how many watts of power he is generating.

Then you take into consideration that his time "was not even close" to Captain America's and perhaps assume that Cap pushed the weight at least 1.5 to 2 times faster than he did.

That considered and it really seems like this is ridiculously overpowered for Cap to be, with that sort of power he'd have been ripping off Hydra heads quicker than they could grow in TFA with every hit he made.

I think it's pretty apologetic for some to come on here and preach in a close minded manner that the script writers really did put much thought into this and that it is infallible canon.
It's not the only instance of incredibly uneven strength displays in AoS. Specifically the scene with May, Ward & Peterson fighting the Extremis/Centipede goons. A goon casually tosses a shipping container across the warehouse, then suddenly looses all that strength when going toe to toe with May & Ward. The Agents should been smushed corpses after that fight. Very poor writing.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 01-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #250
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Don't forget Alexei. That was the height of his reign.