The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?
I loved it, she was a great Lois. 27 77.14%
She was alright- passable. 6 17.14%
Didn't like it, she didn't suit the character. 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #51
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I think its debatble to be honest. She pretty much finds out in the first movie after she kisses him and its confirmed in the second so that for me shows its old hat. Also superhero genre has moved on from Raimi's films.
No, she didn't found out until the end of Spider-man 2.

And the genre hasn't moved on in terms of identity reveling since Raimi. Burton had Batman revealing his identity back in 1989.

But in Superman's case, the whole dynamic between Clark and Lois starts as a trio. And there's a desire of Clark of being accepted by Lois regardless his powers and other superheroic self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Agree to disagree, it takes something away if Krypton is still around. Superman works best as the last born of his race.
Same thing with Lois knowing everything about Superman from the start. It takes a big piece away and doesn't work as well as if she thought Superman and Clark were different people at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Lois knowing Clarks identity before did work, it also worked very well on Smallville. To be the disguise he needs a backup to help him. Lois is just that.
Well, Smallville was an atrocity committed against Superman. It was its own thing with the Superman universe names thrown in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Well no because the secret I'd still exists its just now Lois knows. Of course all CBMs suffer from the same reveals though. People seem to find out rather quickly, worst one by far was Spider-Man 2 where that whole train of people found out. But to let the love interest know can work for the better and I certianly think it did in the case of Man of Steel.
Spider-man's constant unmasking is still one of Raimi's criticisms. Unmasking yourself before a whole train... not clever.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #52
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
No, she didn't found out until the end of Spider-man 2.

And the genre hasn't moved on in terms of identity reveling since Raimi. Burton had Batman revealing his identity back in 1989.

But in Superman's case, the whole dynamic between Clark and Lois starts as a trio. And there's a desire of Clark of being accepted by Lois regardless his powers and other superheroic self.



Same thing with Lois knowing everything about Superman from the start. It takes a big piece away and doesn't work as well as if she thought Superman and Clark were different people at first.



Well, Smallville was an atrocity committed against Superman. It was its own thing with the Superman universe names thrown in it.



Spider-man's constant unmasking is still one of Raimi's criticisms. Unmasking yourself before a whole train... not clever.
Nope she knows at the end of 1 after she kisses him, well lets say suspects. Hence the reason she tries the upside down kiss on her fiance.

See I van't take you serious when you say Smallville was an atrocity. No it wasn't you didn't like it thats all their is to that. It was another take on the Superman lore, one that was very faithful to the comics in actual fact.

We will simply have to disagree on the love triangle because we aren't gonna convince one another either way.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 AM   #53
Visualiza
What is a yout?
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 1,334
Dry Re: What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I'm not been inconsistent at all and I'm certainly not been snarky like the other poster.

My point us you can change certain aspects but others you can't.
And who exactly decides that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
The secret identity triangle wouldn't work with todays audiences and its really not essential. It doesn't effect who the character is where certain things i.e. krypton not been destroyed would. Its like you can't take the S off his chest but you sure can remove the red underwear.
Again, according to who or what? You can't just make these broad statements and expect people to take you at your word, especially when you're so vehemently against any other creative suggestions. "Because it just won't work" isn't a reason. In the same way that you and the rest of the Man of Steel fanbase are so staunchly against people projecting their own idealized version of Superman(Supes doesn't kill, he should've saved his dad, etc.), you can't do the same yourself without some better reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Also thanks for putting words in my mouth, where the hell did I say that ever decision Snyder made was infallible?
You don't have to say something verbatim for it to be the undertone of your message. The way you gush about this movie, unconditionally defend its questionable creative decisions, and denounce mere suggestions for creative alternatives says as much. That big bold sig of yours doesn't help your case, either.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:14 AM   #54
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
And who exactly decides that?



Again, according to who or what? You can't just make these broad statements and expect people to take you at your word, especially when you're so vehemently against any other creative suggestions. "Because it just won't work" isn't a reason. In the same way that you and the rest of the Man of Steel fanbase are so staunchly against people projecting their own idealized version of Superman(Supes doesn't kill, he should've saved his dad, etc.), you can't do the same yourself without some better reasoning.



You don't have to say something verbatim for it to be the undertone of your message. The way you gush about this movie, unconditionally defend its questionable creative decisions, and denounce mere suggestions for creative alternatives says as much. That big bold sig of yours doesn't help your case, either.
Well DC comics decided the red underwear were not necessary so I guess according to them.

I do love this movie and it is for me the best of the CBMs so why does that bother you? I'm not saying its perfect at all, nothing is and much like everything there are 1 or 2 minor changes I would make. If I wanna gush over it I wil, get over it!

And anyway there's a major majority that like the fact that Lois knows beforehand. Its one of the biggest praises I've seen this movie get, cause it doesn't make her look stupid that she can't figure it out. For me I don't think her not knowing would work now, audiences want a smarter film and smarter characters.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME

Last edited by BH/HHH; 01-09-2014 at 03:19 AM.
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #55
Visualiza
What is a yout?
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 1,334
Default Re: What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Well DC comics decided the red underwear were not necessary so I guess according to them.

I do love this movie and it is for me the best of the CBMs so why does that bother you? I'm not saying its perfect at all, nothing is and much like everything there are 1 or 2 minor changes I would make. If I wanna gush over it I wil, get over it!

And anyway there's a major majority that like the fact that Lois knows beforehand. Its one of the biggest praises I've seen this movie get, cause it doesn't make her look stupid that she can't figure it out. For me I don't think her not knowing would work now, audiences want a smarter film and smarter characters.
Way to not answer a single question I posed...again. There's nothing for me to get over, because I personally couldn't care less whether or not you tattooed your love for this movie on your forehead, my point is that you let your love for the movie get in the way of discussion, in that you can't be objective when debating it or empathetic to a contrarian opinion.

All that aside, you make too many broad presumptions. For one thing, a 'major majority' is irrelevant, not to mention debatable considering the polarizing reception. And how on earth does Lois knowing his identity make for a smarter movie or smarter characters? How is that in any way reasonable? If anything, it's a veiled insult(or just good old fashioned poisoning of the well) to anyone who would consider otherwise, and here you are asserting as much without any sort of basis at all. That very statement illustrates your problem - a lack of objectivity.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 AM   #56
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?

How have I let my love of his film get in the way of discussion exactly? I just prefer Lois knowing as I did on Smallville. I don't see what else I've objected to exactly, as for my objection to Krypton blowing up that's just a personal preference as that's the way its always been and I don't think it works without that.

Do you have some sort of problem with me loving this film? And last I checked if someone does love something then why would they want it to be any different?

It makes Lois smarter because a simple pair of glasses and a meek personality don't blind her from seeing the two men she's closest to are one in the same.

You're turning this discussion into something its not. I'm not insulting anyone I'm saying it makes the characters smarter.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #57
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero
 
Hulk-1700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,074
Default Re: What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?

It's always better to have the love interest know the superhero intimately. That doesn't always have to be the case, but in Lois case, I think it adds more to her character in this case. If she's supposed to be one of the best reporters on the planet, what would be there to stop her from finding out Clark & Superman are the same person?

I mean besides memory wiping kisses.

Hulk-1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #58
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?

Adams was a solid Lois Lane. My sole complaint is that I wished she was given more time on the screen. I wasn't expecting alot of Lois walking into the film, unlike some critics. I expected this to be a story about first contact and Clark Kent, not a love story between Superman & Lois. I am hopeful that Amy will be given more in future films. I did very much enjoy how this interpretation of Lois was greatly "involved" in the events transpiring. She wasn't a damsel in distress. She tracked down Clark, found out who he truly was, was the person who helped initiate the plan of sending Zod and his people back into the phantom zone, ect.
Amy played the spunky parts of Lois perfectly, but I feel Amy added a softer side to Lois than we've seen in past incarnations.

ConnorKon-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 AM   #59
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton
 
Young Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,343
Default Re: What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?

I thought she was great as Lois.

__________________
Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear: until my dream where dignity, honor, and justice becomes the reality we all share I'll never stop fighting. Ever - Superman
Young Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #60
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero
 
Hulk-1700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,074
Default Re: What did you think of Amy Adams' Lois Lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Adams was a solid Lois Lane. My sole complaint is that I wished she was given more time on the screen. I wasn't expecting alot of Lois walking into the film, unlike some critics. I expected this to be a story about first contact and Clark Kent, not a love story between Superman & Lois. I am hopeful that Amy will be given more in future films. I did very much enjoy how this interpretation of Lois was greatly "involved" in the events transpiring. She wasn't a damsel in distress. She tracked down Clark, found out who he truly was, was the person who helped initiate the plan of sending Zod and his people back into the phantom zone, ect.
Amy played the spunky parts of Lois perfectly, but I feel Amy added a softer side to Lois than we've seen in past incarnations.
I think she had enough screen-time, honestly. She was very intimately involved with the plot. Jor-El taught/told her how to operate the Phantom drive & how to send the Kryptonians back into the Phantom Zone which was an integral part of the third act. I'd say she did quite a bit from finding out about Clark (on her own, I should add) & helping to stop an alien invasion.

Hulk-1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.