The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #10
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Do you think The Wolverine could be the best 2013 superhero film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I just don't see that. But hey we all have our preferences. Thought MOS, Wolverine and Thor where all better then the RT. Especially with multiple viewings.
Mos had a lot of problems when it comes to filmmaking, using techniques that don't fit at all, like using shaky cam in talk scenes where there's no action at all, along with other problems. The Wolverine was amazing until it reached the 3rd part, which was very weak, and there were also a lot of the usual Hollywood clichés of what they think Japan is like, you could even make a drinking game out of that. Thor was pretty generic, the problem was that it was mostly a studio film where you can barelly notice the director's input, though i found the final battle a lot of fun, it was weird and creative.

Quote:
But Kick Ass 2 is nowhere near that level of bad. Nowhere. Maybe not in everyones taste with the violence and humor, but that comes with the material and for what it was going for it actually improved on the book and told a solid continuation as a film sequel for those characters stories. Critics should have realized that imo. I havn't disagreed with a rating that much in awhile.
Yeah, gotta agree there, but it still wasn't all that good, i would put it in the 60s% at most

Quote:
Most the time I think the RT can be legit, but this new age of critics is a different beast with social media and personal expectations when it comes to genre films. They can come off way too pretentious and don't give full credit when it's due at times. I expect alot of the overall views on these past years comic films to be much more positive come 10 years. If I let the RT choose my films this year I would have missed out. I personally just can't rely on them.
I don't think they're pretentious (you should see some of the critics here in Portugal, one of the most famous ones gave Lord of the Rings and The Dark Knight 1 star, with the rating going from zero to 5), the problem with most genre films and blockbusters right now is that they've become very stale, still following the almost exact same standard set by Jaws and Star Wars in the 70s. We need more blockbusters to try new things, the only ones i really see doing that are Nolan and Cuaron, while Marvel Studios is making the industry even more comercial, now that every successful film needs to expect a sequel before it's even released.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote