The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 01-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
eatup
Side-Kick

Default Why I think JJ Abrams is Big on Lens Flare...

I'm probably assuming Abrams is a gamer, much like James Cameron. There is every trace of StarCraft in Avatar what with the previous minerals and mechs and all. I think Abrams is so into Lens Flares b/c games like the hit Unreal Tournament '99 featured them and popularized them. Remember, even Spielberg made use of Unreal Engine to build virtual sets and test out camera angles for one of his films. As a whole, I think video games have had a very pronounced influence on Hollywood artistic directors.

I hope this message gets to Abrams:

Unreal Tournament '99 had lens flare only in the old DirectX 7 version. If you download updated DirectX 9 drivers for UT '99, the lens flares are gone. You'll see the same intro subway scene, where the camera passes one of the lights originally with lens flare, looks so much more beautiful without the lens flare, but only b/c of the new CG algorithms in DirectX 9...

I guess Abrams doesn't or didn't know about the DirectX 9 drivers when he worked on previous films...

Last edited by eatup; 01-26-2014 at 01:19 PM.
eatup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Default Re: Why I think JJ Abrams is Big on Lens Flare...

Whaaa?

Anyways, Abrams has discussed his obsession with lens flares and that's all it is...an obsession. A DOP showed him how to do it on one of his projects and he got carried away in his following films until it culminated in the ridiculous amount present in STID. He's said he is cutting back from here on out. They actually had to go back in post and remove lens flares from STID, because people couldn't see what the hell was going on in some of the scenes lol. Even his wife called him on a scene or two when he showed her some footage.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatup View Post
I'm probably assuming Abrams is a gamer, much like James Cameron. There is every trace of StarCraft in Avatar what with the previous minerals and mechs and all. I think Abrams is so into Lens Flares b/c games like the hit Unreal Tournament '99 featured them and popularized them. Remember, even Spielberg made use of Unreal Engine to build virtual sets and test out camera angles for one of his films. As a whole, I think video games have had a very pronounced influence on Hollywood artistic directors.

Unreal Tournament '99 had lens flare only in the old DirectX 7 version. If you download updated DirectX 9 drivers for UT '99, the lens flares are gone. You'll see the same intro subway scene, where the camera passes one of the lights originally with lens flare, looks so much more beautiful without the lens flare, but only b/c of the new CG algorithms in DirectX 9...

I guess Abrams doesn't or didn't know about the DirectX 9 drivers when he worked on previous films...

Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Are you just making up words?

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
Zaron
nerdy nerd dance

Abrams just uses lens flares to excess in Star Trek, because he feels it fits the theme of a bright, optimistic future. Star Wars is a far more gritty, dirty, grimy universe. The lens flares would work against that aesthetic. I don't think we need to worry about that bleeding across franchises.

Zaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaron View Post
Abrams just uses lens flares to excess in Star Trek, because he feels it fits the theme of a bright, optimistic future. Star Wars is a far more gritty, dirty, grimy universe. The lens flares would work against that aesthetic. I don't think we need to worry about that bleeding across franchises.
It's going to happen, if you like it or not. It's his signature. And I hope he flares away to piss off all of the whiners.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Oh god...this thread.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Oh god...this thread.
Everyone loves this thread.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
Apollo
Canned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Oh god...this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
Everyone loves this thread.
I "" this thread..

Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 AM   #10
Lord
All Mighty

Before J.J. Abrams, Spielberg was the most associated name with lens flare, Abrams realy wants to be like him, so my guess is that he was inspired by Spielberg.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #11
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatup View Post

Shut your noise you ****ing butternut squash.