The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Old 01-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
eatup
Side-Kick

Default I have an idea for a light saber in real life...

Obviously, it's not possible to stop a laser beam 3-4 feet from its source in real life. But, that doesn't mean you can't construct one in real life. It just has to emit a different form of energy. Or, some one has to figure out how to beam off condensed photons so it dies off in a few feet. But, science already has all it needs/knows to construct a real-life light sabre. Can you guess how we can construct such a light sabre with everything we know about science up to now?

(Hint: The answer is so simple, even a farmer without a PhD in physics can figure this one out...)

eatup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Default Re: I have an idea for a life saber in real life...

Hate to be a downer, but lightsabers are pretty impractical in the real world as a weapon and a tool. Everything a lightsaber could do as a tool a laser can due and a laser can be run by a computer. Plus, a lightsaber in a person's hand would be a risk to both the user and everyone and everything around them. A human can't deflect bullets or any of that nonsense either so really a lightsaber is about as useful as a third leg. I'd rather have a small pocket size laser with a high enough intensity to burn through metal.

Isn't there a mention in the EU about lightsaber being dangerous for non force users due to the weightlessness of the blade and how easy it is to cut off one's own limbs. I imagine that's pretty accurate to how a lightsaber would go in real life. Stupid people being stupid and hurting themselves or others.

Don't get me wrong a lightsaber has the cool factor, but they just offer no advantages in our real world.

H.E.

Last edited by Marvolo; 01-27-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Marvolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Marvolo: crusher of dreams

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
Marvolo: crusher of dreams

H.E.
Marvolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!

Default Re: I have an idea for a light saber in real life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatup View Post
Obviously, it's not possible to stop a laser beam 3-4 feet from its source in real life. But, that doesn't mean you can't construct one in real life. It just has to emit a different form of energy. Or, some one has to figure out how to beam off condensed photons so it dies off in a few feet. But, science already has all it needs/knows to construct a real-life light sabre. Can you guess how we can construct such a light sabre with everything we know about science up to now?

(Hint: The answer is so simple, even a farmer without a PhD in physics can figure this one out...)
Magnetic field encasing plasma is probably the way that makes the most sense, but if it's so easy why aren't you a billionaire?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #6
Hoorayforeric
Side-Kick

First, it's a Lightsaber, not Life Saver. Although it could save a life, I guess. Secondly, since it can only stop laser fire, I'm guessing a machine gun would wipe them out. All of them.

Hoorayforeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Hate to be a downer, but lightsabers are pretty impractical in the real world as a weapon and a tool. Everything a lightsaber could do as a tool a laser can due and a laser can be run by a computer. Plus, a lightsaber in a person's hand would be a risk to both the user and everyone and everything around them. A human can't deflect bullets or any of that nonsense either so really a lightsaber is about as useful as a third leg. I'd rather have a small pocket size laser with a high enough intensity to burn through metal.

Isn't there a mention in the EU about lightsaber being dangerous for non force users due to the weightlessness of the blade and how easy it is to cut off one's own limbs. I imagine that's pretty accurate to how a lightsaber would go in real life. Stupid people being stupid and hurting themselves or others.

Don't get me wrong a lightsaber has the cool factor, but they just offer no advantages in our real world.
I have always felt that a Force user should have a connection through the Force to their Lightsaber, giving them full control of it. Who and what it cuts, being invulnerable to their own weapon, able to block foreign use of the Force, can cut through Force barriers, etc. Up the "mystical".

Would make the Saber imperative in battle with another Force user.

Also always though blocking blaster bolts was impractical. Much prefer the idea of an offhand shield, and some Jedi powerful enough to create a barrier to shield them and others.