Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #226
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Will it tho? Ive been growing concerned that Disney will stop print of non canon material. Not that it will matter. Someone will upload them in ebook format eventually if Disney were to dobthat...which is a great reason for them not to do that i guess.
I dunno. I can't imagine them ignoring the money the sales of that stuff generate. That's a huge back catalog of material and as far as I know anything with STAR WARS on it sells like hotcakes. I'll admit I could be wrong and they're planning to retire some or all of it, though.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #227
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

It's funny,because Lucas was originally very protective of continuity.That's why I think Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the only "official" tie-in novel.(there were other Han Solo & Lando prequel books,I believe.)

Then when he let them do the Thawn Trilogy,I think he'd made up his mind at that point that he wasn't doing episodes 7-9.(I guess he never imagined he'd hand the keys to Disney)

Old 01-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #228
georgec
Not a hero

I loved Splinter of the Mind's Eye. I think it was possibly the first EU novel I ever read.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #229
sueb1863
Side-Kick

I loved Splinter, too - bought it when it first came out! It was a great story.

But I didn't like that Han Solo isn't in it, and only gets barely mentioned once in passing.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #230
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueb1863 View Post
I loved Splinter, too - bought it when it first came out! It was a great story.

But I didn't like that Han Solo isn't in it, and only gets barely mentioned once in passing.
There is a reason for that, Splinter was planned as a sequel to Star Wars if it had failed in theaters. At least if the behind the scenes info regarding the book on Wookieepedia is accurate. There is alot of interested tidbits there regarding the book and being the possible sequel to Star Wars.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the first ever Expanded Universe novel to be written and published. Its author, Alan Dean Foster, had ghostwritten Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, the novelization of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, and this early involvement in the Star Wars universe gave Foster the opportunity to write Splinter.

According to an interview with Foster in Empire magazine, the novel had been written to be filmed as a low-budget sequel as a fallback plan in case Star Wars hadn't been a huge success. This accounts for the book taking place almost entirely on a fog-shrouded planet. Additionally, Harrison Ford was not signed for the sequel as of the writing of the book, which is why Han Solo does not appear in it. Though Foster was granted a great amount of leniency in developing the story, one requirement was that a lot of props from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope could be reused when filming the new story. According to Foster, Lucas' only request upon inspecting the manuscript was the removal of a dogfight in space undertaken by Luke and Leia before they crash-land on Mimban. Presumably, this sequence would have cost too much money to film.

The Kaiburr crystal was originally developed in the second draft of Lucas's The Star Wars script, where it appears as the Kyber crystal. (The script for Star Wars: A New Hope was a revised version of the fourth draft.)

There are minor inconsistencies between this novel and the one existing film. In the novel, the blade of Darth Vader's lightsaber is described as blue, like Luke's, although this may be due to the bland coloration of the lightsabers in the original theatrical release of Star Wars. R2-D2 is referred to in the novel as a "detoo" unit, despite the film clearly establishing "Artoo unit" as the standard nomenclature (in lines by Luke, Leia, Threepio, Owen Lars, and the Rebel Crew Chief). In the novel, Vader says that he had a difficult time discovering that Luke shot up his TIE fighter; in the film, the Millennium Falcon, piloted by Han Solo, had shot Vader's wingman, who spun into Vader's TIE.

At the time this book was written, story elements revealed in later films had not yet been established. For example, the sibling relationship between Luke and Leia had yet to be decided. But the characters themselves would have been unaware of their relationship at this point in their lives, which explains the presence of some sexual tension between them. (The credibility of Leia's claim on Endor that she had "always known" Luke was her brother is undermined by the decidedly unbrotherly kiss she bestows him on Hoth.) Although Lucas claimed to have had the Star Wars saga mapped out even at this early stage, the fact that he allowed this plot element to remain in Foster's novel has been cited as evidence that he hadn't yet decided on the characters' backstory. However, Lucas has stated that this tension was intentional, to show that the two had feelings for one another, but that they did not know exactly what type of feelings.[source?]

Additionally, when Luke duels Vader in the novel, the former's technique is markedly more accomplished than in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, even to the point of severing Vader's mechanical arm, and Leia too is able to defend herself against the dark lord. But these can both be explained by elements from the novel and the later films. During the Mimban duel, Luke tells Vader, "I am Obi-Wan," which could indicate that Luke's prowess against the far more powerful and experienced Vader was a result of Obi-Wan's Force spirit flowing through Luke during the duel. This is also supported by Obi-Wan's claim in The Empire Strikes Back that he "can no longer help [Luke]," which implies that he once had helped Luke in battle. Leia's ability to hold off Vader without any Jedi training can be explained by the revelation in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi that she was Force sensitive and a potential Jedi.

In this novel, released in 1978, C-3PO mentions that Darth Vader knows "all the proper code words and commands" to shut him down. This eventually received an explanation, as it was revealed in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (released in 1999) that Vader himself, as a young Anakin Skywalker, built Threepio. However, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (released in 2005) brings this explanation into question when Bail Organa orders C-3PO's mind wiped. Whether Lucas had developed any of these story elements at this early stage is not known.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #231
georgec
Not a hero

Did anybody see Conan last night? Bill Hader did a couple amazing SW impressions (Jabba and Tauntaun dying).

http://teamcoco.com/video/bill-hader-dying-tauntaun

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I know I've seen his Jabba dying tongue thing before, but I can't recall in what.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat

Last edited by georgec; 01-28-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: add youtube embed
Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #232
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Did anybody see Conan last night? Bill Hader did a couple amazing SW impressions (Jabba and Tauntaun dying).

http://teamcoco.com/video/bill-hader-dying-tauntaun

I know I've seen his Jabba dying tongue thing before, but I can't recall in what.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 01-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #233
Octoberist
point blank

First look at Carrie Fisher and James Earle Jones guest starring on Big Bang Theory:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/28/bi...carrie-fisher/

Old 01-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #234
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE - Liam Neeson is ready to return to Star Wars

"I'd love to return to Star Wars! But no contacted me yet. I expect the phone to ring ...
http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-C...r-Wars-3942551 (translation from Google)

Old 01-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #235
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I'm still pissed he didn't return for RotS.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #236
Bim
Side-Kick

What the heck would Qui-Gon do though? lol unless it's for a flashback or something. If Ewan's phone hasnt rang i assume Liam's is less likely to ring

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 01-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #237
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
God bless the French but this is such a fluffy piece of Non-News.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #238
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I'm still pissed he didn't return for RotS.
Indeed, I really thought we were going to see him in some capacity at the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
What the heck would Qui-Gon do though? lol unless it's for a flashback or something. If Ewan's phone hasnt rang i assume Liam's is less likely to ring
More Qui-Gon is ALWAYS a good thing...not even considering more Liam Nesson always being a good thing as well.

I think maybe using holocrons to have flashback stories would be really cool.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #239
Octoberist
point blank

Wow this has been a very slow week in general, not just for Star Wars but for any sort of news (Besides X-Men)

Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #240
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Ya news in general is really slow. Gaming news, and all my other things I keep up on just seems very slow this week. Well maybe that means an influx soon enough

Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #241
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Wow this has been a very slow week in general, not just for Star Wars but for any sort of news (Besides X-Men)
That, or Liam Neeson really isn't Qui-Gone from the picture.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #242
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

I blame Obama and the Superb Owl.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #243
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
there's been a lot of news

X-men pics
sneaks looks at the ninja turtles
Cap 3 gets directors
Thor 3 gets writers
Avengers 2 gets another actress
Apparently BvS is filming

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #244
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
I blame Obama and the Superb Owl.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 01-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #245
georgec
Not a hero

It's just the calm before the even calmer period of no news.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #246
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
It's just the calm before the even calmer period of no news.
I still think by March 10th we will have some casting news and probably other news for Episode VII. With JJ saying around May, and Carrie saying March/April, and Ali saying April 22nd. I figure by March we will start getting some influx of news.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #247
Serpico Jones
Side-Kick

How hard is it to write a god damn Star Wars movie...it's been over a year since the announcement and we still know **** all about this movie.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #248
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

The script is done. Making a film of this size is not over night. They are heavy into pre-production right now.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #249
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
How hard is it to write a god damn Star Wars movie...it's been over a year since the announcement and we still know **** all about this movie.
Good..good. I can feel your anger..

Last edited by Octoberist; 01-29-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #250
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

That and it's not really just for one film. It's really setting the ground work for a trilogy. Also a whole new era too. JJ and his team have not been "sitting" around.