The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man Sequels

Old 01-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #351
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sony Expands Spider-Man Cinematic Universe: Announced Venom and Sinister Six movi

People have theorized that the symbiote is in that bottle in that container.

Spooderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #352
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

Default Re: Sony Expands Spider-Man Cinematic Universe: Announced Venom and Sinister Six movi

I writing a story base on The Sinister 6 as a tie-in to Marc Webb's TASM...check it out as it is developed, and give an honest assessment of the story.

Venom'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #353
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Sony Can't Survive On 'Spider-Man' Alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mendelson
Sony Pictures already has enough healthy properties (Spider-Man, 007, Resident Evil, its animated properties, the seemingly surefire Goosebumps adaptations, and its comedy star vehicles) to survive and even thrive as they foster new franchises, attempt to reboot older ones (Men In Black, Ghostbusters, Charlie’s Angels, etc.), take some financial hits, and occasionally distribute “real” films like Captain Phillips or Looper. A film slate built on the overexposure of Spider-Man will do little more than to to kill audience interest in the web-slinger while leaving the studio with that much less money and release date real estate to foster other would-be franchises for the future. Point being, Sony had a bad summer. It happens. As you recall, they had a terrible summer 1996 (The Fan, Multiplicity, The Cable Guy, etc.) only to roar back to life in 1997 with My Best Friend’s Wedding, Men In Black, and Air Force One. The worst thing Sony can do is panic and just overload on the one surefire property they own while ignoring their very real successes.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #354
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

I think Sony should try and do something big with Men in Black. If they got better writers to work on it, they could do something special with it.

As far as Spider-Man goes, I don't think Sony is actually going to release a Spider-Man film each year. You'll have spin-offs coming out in between Spider-Man movies, which can come out every 2-3 years. Compare it to the Avengers: for 3 years, you have movies like Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America being released, all leading up to The Avengers, which are also released every 3 years.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #355
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I think Sony should try and do something big with Men in Black. If they got better writers to work on it, they could do something special with it.

As far as Spider-Man goes, I don't think Sony is actually going to release a Spider-Man film each year. You'll have spin-offs coming out in between Spider-Man movies, which can come out every 2-3 years. Compare it to the Avengers: for 3 years, you have movies like Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America being released, all leading up to The Avengers, which are also released every 3 years.
Eh, Sony only have Spider-Man. It's not like Marvel where it's many franchises that can be quite varied and different. Sure a Venom movie could work but you can't make him a franchise of his own. Most of the potental characters are just too similar to Spider-Man in terms of powers. Other non-spiderlike characters like Prowler you mentioned or Cloak and Dagger just arn't that important enough in Spidey history to get a spin off.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #356
Picard Sisko

Venom can appeal to a wide audience, and I can see him pulling off a few films if done right. The Sinister Six is going to be pretty big, so there's no telling what they can pull off with that.

And just because characters aren't popular doesn't mean they can't do well on film. With that logic, I guess Marvel shouldn't be making movies for Thor, GOTG, Captain America, or Ant-Man, right?

Any of these characters can be made into good movies. It'll be tricky no doubt, but I think it can be done. I don't see why they aren't "important enough" to get their own movies.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 03-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #357
universeman
Side-Kick

I agree looking forward to The Sinister Six movie!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #358
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Venom can appeal to a wide audience, and I can see him pulling off a few films if done right. The Sinister Six is going to be pretty big, so there's no telling what they can pull off with that.

And just because characters aren't popular doesn't mean they can't do well on film. With that logic, I guess Marvel shouldn't be making movies for Thor, GOTG, Captain America, or Ant-Man, right?

Any of these characters can be made into good movies. It'll be tricky no doubt, but I think it can be done. I don't see why they aren't "important enough" to get their own movies.
Captain America is a major Marvel character with it being a seperate franchise. Venom isn't a seperate franchise and his abilitys are too similar to Spider-Man.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #359
Picard Sisko

Outside of comic book fandom, how many people gave a crap about Captain America before the movie came out? While you can say Venom is "similar" to Spider-Man, I think a better way to describe him is the anti-Spider-Man. He is basically a mirror character, and people like that. Venom is actually a separate franchise in the comic book world as well. Not as successful of course, but I'm sure people are willing to go out and see a Venom film if marketed right.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #360
Zantera
Side-Kick

While Venom's powers might be similar to Spider-Man, there is a huge interest for more Venom on screen. I would say arguably the villain people have shouted for the most, and the appearance in SM3 didn't really change that, because a lot of people felt that it was more of a cameo than what they wanted. So even if he has similar powers to Spider-Man, he is a popular character, and a very different character to Spider-Man. Making Venom-related movies also opens up the possibility of more symbiote-related stories, maybe we will eventually get to see Carnage? Or even Toxin?

I think the Spider-Man universe is vast enough that Sony could make a small universe. While Marvel has a few big heroes, they have also expanded into smaller territory. If you ask people in general about Ant-Man or Guardians of the Galaxy, chances are they most likely will have no idea what you are talking about. If you are into comics you will know, but the kind of movies Marvel are expanding with now, aren't HUGE names. People will probably have heard of Iron Man or Hulk, but something like Dr. Strange is more unfamiliar. My point with this, is that Sony could expand more and more with other characters. Some people have talked about a Black Cat movie, and that could certainly be possible.

As long as people are still interested in Spider-Man related movies, they could pull just about anything. If the movies continue doing well, they could even do a Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider movie, even though I highly doubt it.

Zantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #361
Picard Sisko

As long as the Venom film is marketed well, people will go see it. I think a Spider-Man cinematic universe will do fine as long as it doesn't try to be as big as the MCU. And I think that's why a lot of people are against it. The SMCU just means that we'll get some spin-offs here and there, and if those films do really poorly, then Sony will probably stop and just focus on Spider-Man films.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #362
Zantera
Side-Kick

I think Marvel have been lucky with being the "first" at what they have done. There were superhero movies before Marvel started doing their thing, but the whole shared universe and crossing over to other films is something that has just blown up, and people love it. At this point it feels more like a brand-thing if anything. "I have no idea who Ant-Man is, but it's from Marvel... here's my money"

I think the mentioning of Captain America was a good example. Apart from a select group of comic book fans, nobody would care about a Captain America movie. But people got into the first couple of Marvel-films and wanted more, they were able to make a movie for Captain America, which got good reception, and after Avengers they can do pretty much whatever they want, considering how popular and successful Avengers was. They could probably make a Black Widow or Nick Fury movie, and people would watch it.

Zantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #363
Picard Sisko

Yeah. Just slap the "Marvel" logo on something and it already has an advantage.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #364
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Spider-Man Villains Movie 'Sinister Six' Gets Nov. 2016 Release Date
As part of the move, Sony pushed back "The Amazing Spider-Man 3" by two years to 2018.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #365
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I cannot wait for Sinister 6!

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #366
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

In Sony's next attempt to expand the Spider-Man Universe, they should do something like Love Actually romantic comedy staring MJ, Felicia Hardy, Liz Allen, Flash Thompson, etc.