The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #751
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 8

I want to see an updated Baxter Building, different from the office tower of old.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #752
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

They could make the Baxter Building look like an observatory, like a dome or something. Make it as different as possible to the comic version. Or it could look like the Gherkin in London.

In fact, why not just use the Gherkin and say it's the Baxter Building. No-one will know the difference or recognise it.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #753
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

nice design, is that a Hammond Druthers?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #754
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Wait, there were "major" rewrites? So Human Torch and Invisible Woman probably aren't going to be mutants? For a second there, I was about to join the haters. I'm hoping that Trank isn't lying to us to our faces. I can take the Ultimate origin provided that ALL of the characters are present and not just two of them and as long as Human Torch and Invisible Woman get a chance to explain that they're step-siblings, half-siblings or one of them is adopted, it's all cool. If they are going with the Ultimate origin, they should probably go with Annihilus as the villain.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:10 AM   #755
fangz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Seriously. Someone help me out here and give me one, good, solid positive thing about this film for me to feel good about.

So far the best I can come up with is: "Josh Trank hasn't made any terrible films yet." But even that positive is tempered by the fact that he hasn't made any great films either.

Heck, I haven't made any terrible films but that doesn't qualify me to direct it.
This probably won't convince you, since you have seen Chronicle and don't seem to think it's good, but since you're asking.... try to watch the big end set piece when Dane Dehaan is floating around outside the hospital and making his last stand, or whatever.

And really, I'd say watch the whole movie up until then if u felt up to it, cuz that scene is really built up to.

But the one thing that rings a bell for me and this FF movie is picturing Doctor Doom here.

I feel like the movie led up to that moment so deservedly and it paid off there, where we see this kid basically in a whole mess of a lifetime of pain, abuse, humiliation and rejection, a life of denying himself validation as a human being like everyone else... but this kid's messed up life intersects with the ability to bring the human will to power. And he's embracing it. And the scene to me was great cuz it wasn't just some guy floating around shooting powerful bolts at the heroes, or opening a portal or chasing the hero back from Krypton or any of that generic scientist gone bad stuff. some great characters, but overall just pretty fake setups.

In Chronicle, Trank was able to show us what makes a supervillain. for real. in language we could read onto ourselves even in the mirror. And when Dehaan is freaking out in that scene, that just felt totally real and immediately human and understandable. Or when Dehaan first flicks the truck, like that first violation in letting go a little bit.

and also, in the sky when Dehaan murders Jordan...
that was amazing, it felt like how comics books can sometimes play out in your head, with all the heavy real deal consequences and implications that most movies just don't even bother attempting to touch.

it's funny, cuz everyone says that comic book movies are so much more grounded now. like Nolan's films were 'grounded', MCU is 'grounded and so on... but Chronicle was 'grounded' I thought in the way that matters...
which is emotionally and just from the basic structure of the characters.

it was grounded there. and all those scenes paid off becuz of how true to life he made those characters behave and everything came to a very final climax that was pure in the sense that you go... yes, this would've been inevitable. this is true.

and I swear if they took even half of what I was seeing in those scenes in Chronicle and invested that in Doctor Doom, let him embody that hurt and bitterness and hatred and spite and the need to feel superior coupled with the ability to lash out and murder people?

my god, that would just be the best Doctor Doom ever, I think.

Like even Joker was for me the best pure CBM villain, but even when he stuck a pencil in some guys head, it just felt abstract and meaningless to me in any real sense. I got the point of the scene and liked it, but i get it, he killed the guy. big deal. or when Loki is cutting out that guy's eye.

it just doesn't mean much cuz it's so silly.
but Jordan's murder in Chronicle, that I thought was just almost reminded of the Bible or something. haha. it was beautiful and scary and full of dread and you realized the terror of taking something elses life, accidentally, kinda.... and that should be heavy. that is heavy, you know?

watching Chronicle just makes me remember how stupid all comic book movies are. becuz they don't ever delve into the real depths of humanity.

just pats on the head and biscuits.

so that was a long of saying, this is why Trank could kill an FF film..

right now after thinking about how good Chronicle was, actually, i'm disgusted by every CBM ever made no exceptions. they are not truly great movies.
they hide from the human elements in their characters, they're just maybe 3 rungs up from plain old action movies. comic book movies are embarrassing to comic books and embarrassing to actual truly great movies.

they're stupid. every single one. and yeah including Nolan.
Nolan's own movies are just as silly as comic book movies are. these aren't people, they're cardboard mannequins walking around acting like people.

so that's really why I think there's plenty of reason to take Trank seriously on this FF movie.

and I love the FF. I love Marvel Comics, but their movies have really not been all that great when you compare to great movies. they're silly. comic books themselves are not silly. and never have been. i'm not saying that. it's comic book movies and we need more people like Josh Trank who understand human beings directing them.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #756
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Saw something funny. The FB movie page has over 1200 likes and the Anti-Reboot page has a whopping 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdude View Post
Guys, at this point it's pretty obvious we are not going to get a serious adaption.
Since we know nothing about the movies story, it's not obvious in the slightest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
But, I think the point being made was that Disney/Marvel can't just take the rights back to make a movie.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #757
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Maybe Trank will kill off Johnny Storm in this movie as a shocker.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #758
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Saw something funny. The FB movie page has over 1200 likes and the Anti-Reboot page has a whopping 13

Since we know nothing about the movies story, it's not obvious in the slightest

To be very fair.. That's ungodly low for an official movie page. and the anti-page was just started...

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 01-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #759
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
That is funny. 1200 likes for a mainstream superhero film is absurdly low, further emphasizing that hardly anyone cares about this thing. And the other page was only created a short while ago.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #760
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

I don't find the Anti-Reboot page. Link so I can add another Like?

Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #761
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangz View Post
This probably won't convince you, since you have seen Chronicle and don't seem to think it's good, but since you're asking.... try to watch the big end set piece when Dane Dehaan is floating around outside the hospital and making his last stand, or whatever.
I didn't think it wasn't good. I thought it was good, not great. And I don't think the best elements of it translate to an FF film.

One thing that I didn't like about chronicle is that the special effects were pretty weak and when people were 'flying' it seemed to very obviously be people on wires and it didn't give the impression of people with real powers.

I did like the realism and believability of the characters and I hope some elements of that translate to the FF film, but not too much. Chronicle had a unique story and it wasn't the story of the FF.

Comic book characters need to be larger than life - we're not looking for On Golden Pond - so while I have some hope based on Chornicle, I can't begin to go as over the top as you.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #762
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
I don't find the Anti-Reboot page. Link so I can add another Like?
I assume this is the one he's talking about: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring...06476909554832

Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #763
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I assume this is the one he's talking about: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring...06476909554832
Thank you. Up to 17 now, heheh

Old 01-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #764
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
They could make the Baxter Building look like an observatory, like a dome or something. Make it as different as possible to the comic version. Or it could look like the Gherkin in London.

In fact, why not just use the Gherkin and say it's the Baxter Building. No-one will know the difference or recognise it.
Jane had her date in the resturant at the top and Thor and Malekith slid down it in Thor The Dark World

Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #765
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Is there really an official FB movie page? I couldn't find it.

I was asking the other day for something positive related to this film and I think I've found something. Take a look at some of the crew listed:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502712/fullcredits

There are some good people with good experience on the right kind of films on that list. That gives me some confidence that IF Trank has the right vision and IF Fox gives him enough money, there are people who can make it happen.

But those are two big 'if's and if Trank takes them in the wrong direction, that crew could implement his plan perfectly and we could still get crap.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #766
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
Thank you. Up to 17 now, heheh
23 now...Just doing my bit, lol

Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #767
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
That is funny. 1200 likes for a mainstream superhero film is absurdly low, further emphasizing that hardly anyone cares about this thing. And the other page was only created a short while ago.
Agreed.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #768
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

This movie casting... I can't even.... just.... no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #769
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
Yup, I feel you.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #770
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
This entire production should be set to Yakety Sax.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #771
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

Quote:
This entire production should be set to Yakety Sax.
Yakety Sax makes everything better.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #772
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

So here we are in February, just a little more than a month from when filming's started and this place is quiter than it has ever been. What the heck, are we going to get a cast soon or what?

Are they just trying to get our hopes up before unveiling the worst cast in history? I just want something other than the crap on top of crap on top of crap that we've gotten so far.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #773
Donut
Side-Kick

This place was nicer when it was empty lol

Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #774
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
So here we are in February, just a little more than a month from when filming's started and this place is quiter than it has ever been. What the heck, are we going to get a cast soon or what?

Are they just trying to get our hopes up before unveiling the worst cast in history? I just want something other than the crap on top of crap on top of crap that we've gotten so far.
I don't know if the agreement with Marvel will allow it, but FOX may delay production until they get opening week numbers for DOFP. If it blows up into the Iron Man/Spidey range, it might be worthwhile to take a potential loss on the FF reboot to keep the characters viable for potential crossovers (if they are allowed under the Marvel contract). If DOFP opens soft like the First Class and the Wolverine, Trank's FF may just fade away.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #775
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:

Seriously...Every damn time I start thinking 'no news is good news' they come out and announce something...

So I'm trying not to think about this one at all...

(Now I've gone and said something though I expect a Fox announcement within the next few bloody hours. It has been the sodding pattern so far... ).