The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 AM   #26
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: Light Sabers in New Trilogy

I always thought it went without saying that every Jedi had one. I mean, "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age." + The PT being about the Order being alive and well... that naturally meant lots of lightsabers. I don't see the problem.

Now, granted, I believed Yoda and Sid were above lightsabers, too, but the rest of them? Didn't bat an eyelid when I saw everyone pulling a saber on Geonosis.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:03 AM   #27
titansupes
Side-Kick

They should around more than the OT, because Luke has rebuilt the Jedi Order to some degree or another. But I don't want to see them as much as the PT, either. They should be kept as much a special thing as possible. And from the sounds of what that Ronin girl said about her audition ("pretending not to know what a lightsaber was") then we might just get that... assuming she wasn't just reading the Luke/Obi-Wan/Anakin's lightsaber scene from ANH.

As far as the lightsabers themselves, I also want a return to the dangerous, heavier fights and blades of the OT (as well as the hilts just a little more 'workmen' like as they did in the OT). I want to blades to have the depth and instability of the OT, compared to how flat and boring they looked by the time RotS rolled around.

And the sounds of the sabers... again, return to the OT. The sounded different than the prequels, deeper pitch, more dangerous.

That's what I want.

HOWEVER - If they do maintain the lighter lightsabers, then I want them just like they were in TPM. The look, the sound... just pure sex. In the other two they lost that.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #28
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I always thought it went without saying that every Jedi had one. I mean, "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age." + The PT being about the Order being alive and well... that naturally meant lots of lightsabers. I don't see the problem.

Now, granted, I believed Yoda and Sid were above lightsabers, too, but the rest of them? Didn't bat an eyelid when I saw everyone pulling a saber on Geonosis.
Agreed. We were supposed to be seeing jedi in their prime in the PT, so of course there would be more lightsabers, since we had more jedi.

The one person i was surprised to see had a lightsaber was Sidious, but i honestly dont lose sleep over it. The red blade for sith is so iconic to me, that it does make sense he would have one. He had to be taught to use the weapon his nemesis used as a sith apprentice. Atleast that's how i look at it lol.

I do wonder what kind of lightsabers and fighting style we could see in the new movies. But i dont want to think about it too much. I want to be surprised and open, i dont want to have any expectations as to how it would be. In all honesty, that's how i'm approaching these new movies.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #29
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
I do wonder what kind of lightsabers and fighting style we could see in the new movies. But i dont want to think about it too much. I want to be surprised and open, i dont want to have any expectations as to how it would be. In all honesty, that's how i'm approaching these new movies.
Same here. No proconceived notions, no adamant stance on what the new movies need to do/be to turn out good or great, no particular expectations. I'll see what I see, and if I like it, I'll be the first to mastur-- er, to post about it.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #30
The Endless
Side-Kick

I didn't mind all the Jedi having sabers... they are supposed to. But i just thought the choreography was silly and over stylized. I was like "are these guys actually trying to hit each other or just try to look cool"?

Some style is great, like in martial arts films. But not so much it takes you out of the moment and you lose all sense of the characters purpose.

The Endless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #31
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

They need new colors that we haven't seen before,like orang,yellow,or black.Even a lightwhip would be cool and different.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #32
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

keep it simple, don't overdo it and don't do any of those silly whirling and jumping choreographies that helped to drag the PT down.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #33
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post

The fight between Sidious and Yoda would be vastly improved if it were force powers intermingled with lightsaber combat, instead of a lightsaber fight followed by a bit of force pushing. It was Lucas' chance to really go all out in the force department and he blew it.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #34
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

I just want them to tone right the hell back with the lightsabers.

The lightsaber was the signifier of a confrontation of emotions and passion during the original trilogy. it was only used as a last resort defense against an AT-AT or an oncoming Speeder Bike or during a duel.

In the prequels we see them in practically ever second scene. It just ruined the special effect they had on a scene.

HERESY!
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 PM   #35
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
I just want them to tone right the hell back with the lightsabers.

The lightsaber was the signifier of a confrontation of emotions and passion during the original trilogy. it was only used as a last resort defense against an AT-AT or an oncoming Speeder Bike or during a duel.

In the prequels we see them in practically ever second scene. It just ruined the special effect they had on a scene.
This is more what I meant about there being too many on screen. It's more about intent when they are used. Always for defense, never for attack as it were. The Jedi were not predominately portrayed as peace keepers in the prequels.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #36
Soapy
It's happening again...

I just want to see normal lightsabers. Double-bladed are fine, but no "lightwhips" or "lightaxes" or "lightnumchucks" or whatever other dumb **** came out of the EU.

With regards to fighting style I think they should avoid at all costs the flashy-to-the-point-of-being-completely-nonsensical style we saw in the prequels. However, I also recognize the need to spice things up from what we saw in the original films. Maybe more "swashbuckle" and less prequel-style faux-martial arts.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 AM   #37
titansupes
Side-Kick

^ I completely agree. Also, this might be unpopular... let's keep the saber colours the way they are. Blue, green, red. Maybe I can handle one purple. But I don't need or want any orange, yellow, whatever, whatever.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:55 AM   #38
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I just want to see normal lightsabers. Double-bladed are fine, but no "lightwhips" or "lightaxes" or "lightnumchucks" or whatever other dumb **** came out of the EU.

With regards to fighting style I think they should avoid at all costs the flashy-to-the-point-of-being-completely-nonsensical style we saw in the prequels. However, I also recognize the need to spice things up from what we saw in the original films. Maybe more "swashbuckle" and less prequel-style faux-martial arts.
I would like this a lot!

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:23 AM   #39
Octoberist
point blank

Swashbuckling is the way to go.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 AM   #40
Lord
All Mighty

What's the problem in the samurai style of the prequels? If anything it's the exageration in it what should go, not the style itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #41
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
What's the problem in the samurai style of the prequels? If anything it's the exageration in it what should go, not the style itself.
The prequels dont have a samurai style tho.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #42
Octoberist
point blank

Swashbuckling it is.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #43
Soapy
It's happening again...

These videos are good examples of what I was talking about:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Before the prequels that's kind of what I always imagined "modern" lightsaber fights would be like, and more or less how I would like them to be in the sequel trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
The prequels dont have a samurai style tho.
What are you talking about?

Historically accurate samurai fighting style:

It's a little-known historical fact that very few samurai were killed in combat. Most battles ended with opponents trying to out-dazzle the other with ineffective, but flashy sword twirling.

Last edited by Soapy; 01-29-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #44
eatup
Side-Kick

I swear, this fight scene looks more kickass than the duel with Darth Maul:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF9Qk6m_b74

It's not just about the choreography, but the artistic direction, which the above video is plenty capable of... If Disney was smart, they'd bring in the Tron Legacy Team to do the light saber battles... You see the same kind of stuff in TL as in the above video, only they're choreographed and CGIed by professionals. Of course, if Disney wanted to be really extraordinary, they'd have a fight scene with huge swords and have each other dancing about the huge blades... Skinny samurai Jedi blades have become almost a commodity nowadays. Any kid with Photoshop or 3D StudioMax can pull it off in their basement...

Last edited by eatup; 01-30-2014 at 12:18 PM.
eatup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #45
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
These videos are good examples of what I was talking about:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Before the prequels that's kind of what I always imagined "modern" lightsaber fights would be like, and more or less how I would like them to be in the sequel trilogy.

What are you talking about?

Historically accurate samurai fighting style:

It's a little-known historical fact that very few samurai were killed in combat. Most battles ended with opponents trying to out-dazzle the other with ineffective, but flashy sword twirling.
I actually have heard they avoided hitting blades because the steel would shatter and dull quickly. But i had heard the goal was bodily attacks not to twirl and dazzle. Regardless tho lightsabers dont shatter and are perfectly fine hitting each other so a samurai fighting style makes no sense whatsoever. The fighting styles would have evolved after the lightsabers invention and due to the strength of the blades and its capabilities samurai style fighting doesnt seem like a natural evolution. A jedi should be using the force to find ways into his opponents defenses to make a body strike not dazzling his opponent. I want to see Vaapad lightsaber form on screen. Now there is a form about focus and pure deadliness.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 01-29-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #46
gcash
New User - Level 0

ive got an idea. what if they made it so jedi could use the force to focus the light in the saber. the more they master the force, the more powerful the saber becomes

gcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #47
misjuevos
I am Groot

I would like to see them dual wielding a light saber. In knights of the old republic I would dual wield and just find myself spinning them a lot. Looks cool. Also I liked using an orangish looking color saber. The colors should expand a bit more. A new order needs new traditions. Not every color but a few more like a light orange. This was my favorite saber color in kotor.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #48
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

It'll be somewhere between ROTJ and the prequels.

The prequels showed a time in the Jedi order where everything had been mastered - including weaponry for thousands of years.

In the OT, you have an old man, a bulky cyborg and a novice fighting with lightsabers. Luke would have had to teach everyone the lightsaber now, and it would probably be something in between the way he fought in ROTJ and the way the experts fought in the prequels.

Two handed for power, one handed for speed. It'll be super practical. No theatric, unnecessary twirling, but no slow, two handed posture all the time either.

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Asteroid-Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #49
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I sure as hell hope they've got nothing to do with the RotJ ones. They managed to make the duel worse than the ANH one. ESB was easily the most balanced in the OT - plus it looked great. Fancy moves, but not too fancy. If anything (and if they want to return to an OT approach), then ESB is the movie I'd like them to model the duels after.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #50
eatup
Side-Kick

There's no point in rehashing OT or prequel lightsaber fighting styles. The light saber has become such a common commodity that any kid with Photoshop can create their own cinema-grade lightsaber fights. Nobody's gonna go see a 100M budget film that could be accomplished for $250 by a pimply highschooler (or however much Photoshop standard edition costs). They must come up with new "warfare", which is why I suggested Final Fantasy-type light sabers for the sequels...

Light sabers in the sequels must be novel. Obviously, they can't do something like have smoke coming out of the blade and call that a novelty b/c that's been done in Clone wars. Nobody's ever done a Cloud FF light saber fight though, let alone how such a light saber prop would look like.

Last edited by eatup; 02-14-2014 at 06:10 PM.
eatup is offline   Reply With Quote