The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #401
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Still flames, they didn't prove liek something that could be used against power beams, if anythink it would probably bounce back to Killians face.
I still could see it happening, stranger things have been done in comic book movies. Plus Killing could've also used fire breath as a response after dodging IM's repulsion.

You know what would've been badass, if Killian shot flame in IM's face after catching his palm and stopping that last repulsor.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #402
Quasar
Side-Kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUYW0JyzydA

Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #403
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
Why aren't those guys writing superhero movies? Funnier and mores sense.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:27 AM   #404
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

The single most unforgiveable thing I feel that was done with IM3 is that so far as I can tell everyone in that film seems to view the 10 rings as a new phenom in the life of Stark.

The 10 rings are responsible for the kidnapping of Stark in IM1.
They are the cause of him becoming Iron Man!

How can everyone forget this? Case in point when Tony and Rhodey are contemplating who this "new" threat is in the cafe.

This is the single most frustrating dismissal of continuity in all of the MCU and it could have easily been avoided, how does this get a pass?

Gr0oT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #405
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Loki882 actually summarized my thoughts on this much better than I so I'll just quote him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
My issue with it was more that this is the group that originally crippled him, kidnapped him, and held him captive for months, and the Mandarin is apparently their leader. And yet, that never really comes up, at no point does Tony seem to really ponder this or have it weigh on his mind. It was a missed opportunity.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 PM   #406
starwolf_oakley
Side-Kick

Various reviews and such have wondered if we are supposed to think Killian was behind the Ten Rings the whole time, or just stole their logo and such for the Mandarin videos. And the movie makes it pretty clear the Mandarin videos are a cover for the Extremis explosions that are accidents.

Killian *says* he wants to control both sides of the War on Terror, but in actually watching the movie, it looks more like he wants to cover for times Extremis doesn't work. And they don't even say *why* Extremis causes certain people to explode.

Did the movie say how many Extremis soldiers were working for Killian? It seemed the ones that exploded were ones that weren't directly "on the payroll."

starwolf_oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #407
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr0oT View Post
Loki882 actually summarized my thoughts on this much better than I so I'll just quote him.
This I can agree with.

In addition to that, I'd have preferred if there was a bit more reverence paid to Yinsen's memory for his role in Tony's escape.

No two ways about it - he is the reason that Tony was able to get out of there in any capacity, from putting the initial electro-magnet in his chest, to giving him the needed motivation to improvise the Mark I suit.

With that, a legitimate grudge between Tony & Killian could have been established, with a call-back to Yinsen towards the end. The cameo was a nice nod, but again, Tony has acted as if he doesn't even remember the guy since the moment he got out of the cave. This was one thing that I think Avengers did well, with the "His name was Phil" line for Coulson's 'death'. Either something along those lines or a photo of the guy (maybe a forgotten one from Bern that he dug up from some old boxes) somewhere in his basement would have been a nice touch.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #408
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD View Post
2-Guy Pearce's character is just a copy/paste of Jim Carrey's Edward Nigma from "Batman Forever" (even the haircut is the same):

Just watch IM3 again and then watch "Batman Forever", then tell me it's not the same f**king character (without Carrey's funny faces and the drag queen looks).

Ugly nutty professor is ignored by billonaire, he is mad about it, he uses his inventions to become a playboy billonaire as well, then flirts with the protagonist's redhead girlfriend (Kidman, Paltrow), and ultimately goes insane until he is stopped by our hero. Same story arc, same character. I expected that he would scream at the end: "I'm The Riddler!!!" instead of "I'm The Mandarin!!!". XD
I noticed that right after watching it.

He also destroyed the heroes lair/vehicles (in this case home and armours) and kidnaps the heroes girlfriend.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #409
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

I'd say he was more similar to Syndrome than Riddler in Batman Forever.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #410
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I still could see it happening, stranger things have been done in comic book movies. Plus Killing could've also used fire breath as a response after dodging IM's repulsion.

You know what would've been badass, if Killian shot flame in IM's face after catching his palm and stopping that last repulsor.
It was a waste that they didn't used his Fire Breathing in the Final Battle.

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #411
Lord
All Mighty

flames having a standstill against repulsor rays would look a little laughable IMAO

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #412
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I'd say he was more similar to Syndrome than Riddler in Batman Forever.
Well Syndrome wanted to be the heroes sidekick and idolised the hero, and was a kid.

Killian and Riddler both idolised the man not the hero and wanted to share tech/work together. Both were adults who went from nerdy guys both with long hair to suave attractive guys with their own companies.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #413
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Well looks like my one big gripe about the film was addressed in the amazing All Hail the King one-shot!

See, I wasn't nuts, I knew something was amiss.
God, I love the MCU.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #414
Shasta

The movie was disappointing. Not only did they throw out all the interesting points of a classic Marvel villain they substituted a stock character we have seen many times before. To complete their deconstruction of marvel's enduring characters Iron Man III has Stark being freed from his nuclear heart which is the signature feature that binds him to the suit and his identity as Iron Man. The idea of the fatal flaw, the paradox of a strength which comes with a weakness is what makes heros memorable. You might as well have Aunt Mae finally have that ever-impending heart attack and die. By subsequently getting therapy to work through guilt and grief Peter Parker might finally liberate himself from his compulsion to risk his life for the sake of justice. It is like a surgeon finding a way to restore Daredevil's sight.

Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #415
EssayM
Just A Guy

I liked the movie, but I think the ending could have been a little less emphatically "final", especially when we already know he's coming back for Avengers 2 and probably more Iron Man movies. It felt a little too obviously fake.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:21 AM   #416
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
I liked the movie, but I think the ending could have been a little less emphatically "final", especially when we already know he's coming back for Avengers 2 and probably more Iron Man movies. It felt a little too obviously fake.
Hmm, I get the critique, but my takeaway wasn't a sense of finality with respect to Tony Stark's identity as Iron Man. What I got from the final post-battle sequences was:

Stark was in a paranoid and unsettled frame of mind when he created all those armors. Now that he was in a more peaceful place, mentally, he thought it would be best to start over. This involved destroying his multiple armors (which might or might not contain embedded abstractions of his manic state of mind), taking out the arc reactor in his chest and going back to basics: "I am Iron Man".

fixxxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #417
los pollos
Newbie First Class

1. Too many comedic scenes that didn't feel very natural within the story, especially the scenes involving the little boy. The comedy wasn't as funny as what was in the avengers, or IM1, which made it worse. To contrast, CAP2 had much fewer outright comedic scenes, but still had a sense of humor through the chemistry of the characters that felt natural, and not like the movie is pausing the story for a gag.

2. The twist with the mandarin, I felt they kind of wasted his character and turned him into a comic relief that wasn't funny.

3. Apart from the air force one sequence, the action in this movie didn't really impress me. The final battle was too busy and CGI overload. Tony's armors came off as weak when they were destroyed so easily. I kind of wish that the extemis power that Killian and his henchmen had were more visually impressive.

los pollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #418
Lord
All Mighty

Iron Man 3 was very funny, not as much the parts with the kid, but the ones with Killian's goons were a lot of fun.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote