The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Official 2013 SHH! Movie Awards

View Poll Results: Which Movie is the Best Superhero Movie of 2013?
Iron Man 3 22 21.78%
Kick-Ass 2 2 1.98%
Man of Steel 47 46.53%
Thor: The Dark World 8 7.92%
The Wolverine 22 21.78%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #51
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: Best Superhero Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
The Wolverine
^ This. The others aren't even close.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #52
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
^ This. The others aren't even close.
Agreed

Old 01-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #53
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
knew MoS was gunna take this
Agreed.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #54
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

It's funny.

The one I was looking forward to the most was the one that slapped me in the face, IM3.

I have appricated it alot more on a second viewing but it does simply not compare to the first film, which is the best Marvel film IMO.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #55
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

The Wolverine

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #56
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

It's a toss up between IM3 and Thor2. The rest didn't even make it out of the starting gate.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #57
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Man of Steel My favorite movie of the year and 2d favorite Superhero movie period ( Avengers is first)

I enjoyed both Wolverine ad Dark World.

I pretty much loathed IM3.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:56 PM   #58
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

1. Iron Man 3 8.5/10
2. Man Of Steel 8/10
3. Thor 2 7.5/10
4. The Wolverine 7/10

Old 06-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #59
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

The Wolverine 7/10
Man Of Steel 6/10
Iron Man 3 6-5.5/10
Thor 2 4/10

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #60
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

I just love that well probably still be nominating the best films of 2013...in 2015.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #61
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Kick-Ass 2
Man of Steel
The Wolverine

Old 11-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #62
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
I just love that well probably still be nominating the best films of 2013...in 2015.
A little under two more months before this comes true...

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #63
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

You had one job Parker Wayne. ONE JOB.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #64
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

The ones I still watch quite regularly are Man Of Steel, The Wolverine EE and Kick-Ass 2, I dont own any of the others but do watch them on Sky when they are on sometimes. I think thats telling.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #65
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

I'm shocked MoS won here.

Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #66
Chip Chipperson
Man of Murder

who were you expecting to win?

2013 was a pretty bleh year for CBMs in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Then it will be just like The Dark Knight Rises! :o
Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #67
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
who were you expecting to win?

2013 was a pretty bleh year for CBMs in general.
Iron Man 3 obviously. People here like to criticize it because of the twist, which is surprising since I had no idea we had so many hardcore Mandarin fans here.
It was a good movie, significantly better than Man of Steel in my opinion, and garnered more critical (and commercial) acclaim than any other option listed. Figured it was a shoe-in.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:35 AM   #68
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Iron Man 3 obviously. People here like to criticize it because of the twist, which is surprising since I had no idea we had so many hardcore Mandarin fans here.
It was a good movie, significantly better than Man of Steel in my opinion, and garnered more critical (and commercial) acclaim than any other option listed. Figured it was a shoe-in.
The idea of the twist is fine and even good, but they presented it in such a comical way that it was deflating.

The villain also doesn't compensate -- he's quite weak. He has that awful line of dialogue "I AAAAAAMMMMMMMMM THE MANDARIN !!!!" which is very cringeworthy.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #69
The Avenger
Side-Kick

The Dark Knight if you took the superhero angle out it would still be a phenomenal movie. Same with winter soldier. Both would be great stand alone films.

The Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #70
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
The idea of the twist is fine and even good, but they presented it in such a comical way that it was deflating.

The villain also doesn't compensate -- he's quite weak. He has that awful line of dialogue "I AAAAAAMMMMMMMMM THE MANDARIN !!!!" which is very cringeworthy.
Agree to disagree, I felt the twist was effective. I laughed at the right moments (Ben Kingsley was great as Trevor Slattery, I still love when he exclaims "olay!" while watching the soccer game) and I had no problem with Aldrich Killian. I truly was not expecting the twist, as I prefer to go into films knowing next to nothing about it, but I went with it all the same.
Given this particular forum's somewhat mixed reception to both movies, I'm surprised to see MoS has nearly double the votes. I'm also shocked to see the Wolverine tying at second place, as I felt that movie was good but you hardly ever hear anything about it around here.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 11-12-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #71
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Agree to disagree, I felt the twist was effective. I laughed at the right moments (Ben Kingsley was great as Trevor Slattery, I still love when he exclaims "olay!" while watching the soccer game) and I had no problem with Aldrich Killian. I truly was not expecting the twist, as I prefer to go into films knowing next to nothing about it, but I went with it all the same.
Given this particular forum's somewhat mixed reception to both movies, I'm surprised to see MoS has nearly double the votes. I'm also shocked to see the Wolverine tying at second place, as I felt that movie was good but you hardly ever hear anything about it around here.
Another more obvious factor is that Hype forums is relatively pro-DC.

Every online community is different. As counterexamples, io9.com and badass digest are extremely anti-DC, every single comments section is filled with people dumping on Snyder, Nolan, etc. For example, I was reading io9.com yesterday for five minutes and someone said that they don't want Snyder to direct Wonder Woman because they don't want the movie to be about the male gaze ... that's a very stupid comment, there's no excess of male gaze in Snyder's film and he's not directing WW, but that's par for the course there.

The Dissolve is more in between and you find a lot of people defending WB/DC and sometimes even defending Bay.

At the other end of the spectrum, if you go to IMDB.com, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises and Batman Begins are rated the first, second, and third greatest CBM of all time.

Hype is somewhere in between, but it's relatively pro-DC, there are a lot of people here who enjoyed MoS and TDKR, the Batman/Superman subforum is the most active on the site by a large margin, so in general I suggest don't be surprised if you see WB/DC movies doing better in polls than you'd expect from external metrics like rotten tomatoes or box office gross.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #72
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post

Agreed, I think the comedy just went too far in that movie, I think its the reason I dont find it that re-watchable. I didnt think much of the action either, I thought in general it was poor, except for the part where Iron Man saves the Air Force One Crew, but even that was ruined by a comedic moment straight after were we then learn that Tony wasnt even in the suit.

MOS didnt have enough humour and a bit too much action in the 2nd half, but overall it was a much more enjoyable experience for me than any of the 2013 MCU movies.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 11-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #73
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I disagree. I think comedy was the best way to handle the twist. The whole thing was a farce, a joke. It should be that the tone must be as well. Playing it straight could've been catastrophic.

I agree that Guy Pearce was a bland substitute however. He could've been meaner and nastier. But for some reason Marvel doesn't go the distance with their villains.

Quote:
Agreed, I think the comedy just went too far in that movie, I think its the reason I dont find it that re-watchable. I didnt think much of the action either, I thought in general it was poor, except for the part where Iron Man saves the Air Force One Crew, but even that was ruined by a comedic moment straight after were we then learn that Tony wasnt even in the suit.
I thought the action was inventive. Stark being attacked on the mansion, Stark saving those people in freefall, Stark fighting goons with only a repulsor hand and a leg, all were varied and different to what you usually see in blockbusters. Shane's background in action really made itself known here.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #74
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post

I thought the action was inventive. Stark being attacked on the mansion, Stark saving those people in freefall, Stark fighting goons with only a repulsor hand and a leg, all were varied and different to what you usually see in blockbusters. Shane's background in action really made itself known here.
I cant agree, the mansion attack falls apart when you realise he had a legion of armours just underneath him the whole time and decided not to use them and keep using a malfunctioning suit instead. Same with the freefall scene, great until they ruin it with a stupid joke and we find out Stark wasnt even in the suit.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #75
shin55
New User - Level 0

I am always crazy for superhero movies. Iron Man, The Avengers, and Spider-Man 2 are the best superhero movies ever. I have seen these movies countless times.

shin55 is offline   Reply With Quote