The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #626
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
Meh even more money spent, the Special One back and Chelsea still have much of the same problems as last year.... I thought they were all Rafa's fault?

B - in Mourinho's defence he did say that he respected West Ham's tactics and he wasn't one to criticise. He is the master of the backhanded compliment!
We are doing far better than under Rafa last year. When he came in we were a few points off the lead. By this time last year were well out of the title race thanks to inept performances under him.

Last night though was an example (again) of our shortcomings up front. When we get a team 'park the bus' on us we do lack the cutting edge and the luck*, to break them down.

*I say luck as the amount of times West Ham defenders just threw themselves to the deck blindly and still got in the way of shots was remarkable. Another day they do that and they just as easily miss the shot. All the same, a good consistent striker can make the difference in these games, and we don't have one at the moment.

I said back on the last transfer day last summer when we sent Lukaku off on loan that could be a huge mistake. He has since scored more than all our 'strikers'...Doh..

Old 01-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #627
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Arsenal not signing Draxler. Talks have fallen through.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #628
kit1982
Side-Kick

Obviously I don't see Chelsea as much as you, but from what I've seen the points total is better but the performances haven't really been any better than last year, certain players such as Hazard, Oscar and the much maligned JT have flourished but as a team I don't think you look anywhere near as well oiled as City or Arsenal.... having said all that stick Aguero, Negredo or Giroud up top for you and we probably wouldn't be having this convo!

Just on a different topic, as a football romantic it doesn't half depress me seeing arguably THE name of European football taking players from QPR. Oh AC Milan what has happened to thee?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #629
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
I kind of miss the yearly January Wenger talk about how everything will be fine once Diaby comes back from injury.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 01-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #630
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I kind of miss the yearly January Wenger talk about how everything will be fine once Diaby comes back from injury.
You may have to get used to it. There's talk saying that Abou may call time on his career in the summer due to how injury prone he has become.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #631
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Totally? As in not likely in summer either?

I can see an injury coming at some point this season that might cause things to unravel. You're so light up front still.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #632
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Totally? As in not likely in summer either?

I can see an injury coming at some point this season that might cause things to unravel. You're so light up front still.
No chance. Other clubs will get involved, and if he has a good WC his price sky-rocket. It was now or never for us, I feel.

I agree. It already seems to be ocurring now.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #633
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Was Draxler thought of as a striker for Arsenal?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #634
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
Obviously I don't see Chelsea as much as you, but from what I've seen the points total is better but the performances haven't really been any better than last year, certain players such as Hazard, Oscar and the much maligned JT have flourished but as a team I don't think you look anywhere near as well oiled as City or Arsenal.... having said all that stick Aguero, Negredo or Giroud up top for you and we probably wouldn't be having this convo!
I have seen all our games in full this year (no edited highlights that can often distort how a game really went), and while there's been some duff one's in general we are playing better than we were under Benetez (his games were often dour affairs, with an equal abundance of possession, but very few chances created in many).

But obviously what we clearly aint getting is nearly enough goals (City's total puts ours to shame). That's in greater part to due to our ever inconsistent strikers (No Drogba and a good 20 plus goals to count on for Jose this time round), but with games like last night West Ham's luck was also well in (with all the blocked shots I mentioned before nearly every ricochet was going to one of theirs or clear of danger, no rebounds on a plate to one of ours in spite of all the bodies in the box. Odds against that must be rather long). WH should also have had a player sent off as well but I doubt that would have made a difference.

Unfortunately Jose (and all the managers in-between his spells) still seems to have a soft spot for Mickel (why the hell he started the game last night, or ever comes on at all in others, I have no idea) and not getting a striker last summer, and loaning out Lukaku to boot, were also mistakes. The 'special one' is only human after all.

Regarding City and Arsenal being better oiled? City definitely. They remain my bet for the title. But not so much Arsenal imo: They can play the pretty football and it looks great and all that, but only when the other teams let them. When the going gets tough for them (closed down early, given little time on the ball, and a brick wall 10 man defence etc, like we had last night) they don't do nearly so well.

I'd say us and Arsenal are fairly even at the moment. City have been the best so far and are deservedly top (even if we did beat them). The hope for us or Arsenal is that Pelligrini's commendable gun-ho spirit (they keep on going in games, never settling for whatever lead they have) might cause them fatigue later on. Over a long season trying to play at that level over four competitions can often blow up very quickly.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #635
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Was Draxler thought of as a striker for Arsenal?
From what I understand, the intention was to mould him into a CF, yes.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #636
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I think the one chance of City tiring relative to the other teams with the big squad they have is if they go to the CL final getting big draws and very tight games over 2 legs in every round while the others go out in the 16, (quite possible for Arsenal).

As for Draxler I also heard the plan was to gradually turn him into a striker in the way that Henry was turned from winger to striker. Wenger obviously sees the attributes he thinks a striker needs in the player and some of his finishes have been quite clinical. VP, the release clause was already very high though. Do you think his price would be much higher like 50m+? Could see Wenger paying 40 or just above.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #637
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Apparently, Wenger is adamant that anything above 30m is for a player who is pretty much a finished article. Draxler is still developing, so he's not keen on paying over 30m for him. But of course the market and going prices these days tell another story.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #638
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Apparently, Wenger is adamant that anything above 30m is for a player who is pretty much a finished article. Draxler is still developing, so he's not keen on paying over 30m for him. But of course the market and going prices these days tell another story.
Yeah, I think in this case he actually has a point and the market is getting very silly again with all these recycled billionaire's dollars.

FFP was brought in for the wrong reasons but I can really get behind it IF they were able to enforce it strictly but also fairly. Would be good for the game.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #639
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

I agree.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #640
Zeus
Side-Kick

Draxler is not worth 30 million pounds

Old 01-31-2014, 03:44 AM   #641
bapi
Side-Kick

"Arsenal's Julian Draxler transfer looks doomed with board willing to pay 37m asking price but Arsene Wenger refusing"

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 01-31-2014, 04:17 AM   #642
The Endless
WE are Groot

Draxler is a great prospect, but yea he isn't worth more than 30 mill at the moment. If he reaches his full potential he'd be another Ozil in the 50 mill range.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:22 AM   #643
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I have seen all our games in full this year (no edited highlights that can often distort how a game really went), and while there's been some duff one's in general we are playing better than we were under Benetez (his games were often dour affairs, with an equal abundance of possession, but very few chances created in many).

But obviously what we clearly aint getting is nearly enough goals (City's total puts ours to shame). That's in greater part to due to our ever inconsistent strikers (No Drogba and a good 20 plus goals to count on for Jose this time round), but with games like last night West Ham's luck was also well in (with all the blocked shots I mentioned before nearly every ricochet was going to one of theirs or clear of danger, no rebounds on a plate to one of ours in spite of all the bodies in the box. Odds against that must be rather long). WH should also have had a player sent off as well but I doubt that would have made a difference.

Unfortunately Jose (and all the managers in-between his spells) still seems to have a soft spot for Mickel (why the hell he started the game last night, or ever comes on at all in others, I have no idea) and not getting a striker last summer, and loaning out Lukaku to boot, were also mistakes. The 'special one' is only human after all.

Regarding City and Arsenal being better oiled? City definitely. They remain my bet for the title. But not so much Arsenal imo: They can play the pretty football and it looks great and all that, but only when the other teams let them. When the going gets tough for them (closed down early, given little time on the ball, and a brick wall 10 man defence etc, like we had last night) they don't do nearly so well.

I'd say us and Arsenal are fairly even at the moment. City have been the best so far and are deservedly top (even if we did beat them). The hope for us or Arsenal is that Pelligrini's commendable gun-ho spirit (they keep on going in games, never settling for whatever lead they have) might cause them fatigue later on. Over a long season trying to play at that level over four competitions can often blow up very quickly.
Fair do's mate as I said you'll have a more fully rounded opinion than mine. When I say as well oiled as Arsenal, I still fully expect you to finish above them, but for me you've won a lot of games because ultimately man for man you've been better than the opposition, not because you've outplayed them if that makes sense? It's been function over flair even more so than in Mourinho's first spell (in which I think the football you played was horrendously underrated).

Tbh I'm really interested to see how Chelsea line up next year, is Courtois going to take over from Cech? Will we see Bamford get a chance or is he destined to be another Chalobah and McEeachran? I actually think the kid has the talent to be a top PL player. As I say very interesting!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:15 AM   #644
bapi
Side-Kick

Looks like City consider investing in Boavista FC. No limit on foreign players, good climate and environment for South American players... Seems like a smart decision to develope players there.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 AM   #645
bapi
Side-Kick

Aguero out for one month so should miss Chelsea twice, Barca home and League Cup final. Nasri still needs two or three weeks. At least Negredo and Jovetic are fit.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #646
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Having watched the games the last 2 nights I think City just have too much for anyone else, they are powerful all over the pitch and have the greatest firepower of perhaps any team in Europe.

Liverpool look more likely to threaten Arsenal and Chelsea for the 2nd and 3rd spot than United do of taking their 4th spot IMO. I think the top 4 as it is now will be how it is at the end of the season, only the order of the 4 might change.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #647
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Kim Kallstrom to Arsenal. Always liked him but not sure he's needed.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #648
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
Aguero out for one month so should miss Chelsea twice, Barca home and League Cup final. Nasri still needs two or three weeks. At least Negredo and Jovetic are fit.
Damn, why does he keep getting injured?

I want City to storm the CL and drop some points in the league to keep that competitive till the end. Wonder what the odds of a CL win are for City/how many teams ahead of them at the bookies.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #649
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I think Aguero moves to La Liga in the next season or two. I would think he's a lot less likely to get injured in the league than being stomped around my Stoke and Crystal Palace.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #650
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Probably true. Don't want him to go though, one of my favourite players in the league.