The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #51
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,259
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
There has been four Spider-Man films and SM3 wasn't a success, that gives us three films to various degrees people liked.
Doesn't matter if people didn't like it as much, Spider-Man 3 made almost 900m ww without 3D. Its like the 5th highest grossing comic movie of all time worldwide. It was a very successful film at the box office. The film isn't even critically rated that low for how much it's hated by fans on the internet. It's in the 60s on RT. Not too far from ASM.


Last edited by def28; 02-02-2014 at 06:52 AM.
def28 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #52
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,863
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

The inherent problem with the X-Men movies - from a fanboy point of view - is that many key characters are relegated to minor or undeveloped roles.

It doesn't help with good buzz before the movie - or good word of mouth after the movie is released.

Nightcrawler got a great intro in one movie then vanished; the Phoenix saga was a subplot that was not meshed well with the rest of the movie; Cyclops died off screen; Storm doesn't have any backstory or real reason to be there.

If you are doing an Avengers-level X-Men movie, you would have to bring all the key characters for an epic adventure. Cyclops, Storm, Jean, Beast, Angel, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Kitty (or Jubilee), Colossus. Oh, and uh, Wolverine. And maybe Gambit.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10

Last edited by X-Maniac; 02-02-2014 at 07:49 AM.
X-Maniac is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 06:54 AM   #53
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

its would be repetitive for me to say it, but yeah, 100% agree.

Fox is doing half the X-Men movie fans want.

Just not having Cyclops, Wolverine, Gambit and Rogue on the same movie is a Huge fail to me, and to many fans.

Angamb is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #54
JEM
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 283
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Personally, I think Avengers proved you can make a superero team movie where each characters shine with his action scene that why the movie work well . But, it is doesn't prove that each character can have development and backstory in ONE movie.

Heros's history come from solo movies and not of Avengers, it is the difference between the X men and Avengers. Fox can improve giving more space other characters like Gambit, Colossus or Jubille but you can't have a good character development with structured films like Avengers.

In Avengers, it doesn't matter because there are the solo movies but X men is different .
Again, you have a character like Mystique is only develop from First Class and all the fanboys say it is enough .

Avengers = Team movies
Solo Maverls movie = characters 's development.

X men movies = Team + characters development

* I consider the work to be done on X men is different and more complicated than Avengers.


Last edited by JEM; 02-02-2014 at 07:38 AM.
JEM is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #55
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,863
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
Personally, I think Avengers proved you can make a superero team movie where each characters shine with his action scene that why the movie work well . But, it is doesn't prove that each character can have development and backstory in ONE movie.

Heros's history come from solo movies and not of Avengers, it is the difference between the X men and Avengers. Fox can improve giving more space other characters like Gambit, Colossus or Jubille but you can't have a good character development with structured films like Avengers.

In Avengers, it doesn't matter because there are the solo movies but X men is different .
Again, you have a character like Mystique is only develop from First Class and all the fanboys say it is enough .

Avengers = Team movies
Solo Maverls movie = characters 's development.

X men movies = Team + characters development

* I consider the work to be done on X men is different and more complicated than Avengers.
Well, yes the Avengers model is different.

But X-Men has now had six movies and is about to have its seventh. There should be time to spread the character development in those.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #56
JEM
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 283
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

You're right about the 7 films but I would like to add a comparison. X men franchise has lost his vision when Bryan left after X men 2. Marvels phase one is 5 movie supervised by Kevin Feige's vision who had a 5 year plan that end with Avengers. X men franchise has had only two men structured film (X1 and X2) by Singer.

Then we had a tick chaos between Tom Rothman , Lauren Donner, Brett Ratner, Gavin Hood. There was no real view of the whole franchise. There is a renaissance with The Wolverine and First Class but it takes time .
Normally, DOFP is supposed to be the beginning of a new era for the franchise X men if Singer doesn't fail.

If Singer stayed in 2005, we would have 7 differents film with a powerful Rogue, Storm more developped, Cyclop as leader, Apocalypse, Sinister, Gambit, Cable ect.

Unfortunately, the franchise was injured and is now trying to comeback as Phoenix with DOFP .

X men is not historical, a normal franchise like the other ....

JEM is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #57
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,314
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

bryan singer being onboard may have made X3 better but i don't think it would have mean't another 4 X-Men movies with the OT just because it was with bryan, i mean FOX stopped making them after X3 for a reason and decided to go onto solo movies, and that probably wouldn't have changed even with singer

they likely had their reasons for stopping after X3 and looking at other options, personally i think it was to do with actors contracts fox didn't wanna renew due to having a large cast who would likely demand pay rises to star in a 4th movie

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 02-02-2014 at 09:13 AM.
GuestStar2004 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #58
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,259
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
If Singer stayed in 2005, we would have 7 differents film with a powerful Rogue, Storm more developped, Cyclop as leader, Apocalypse, Sinister, Gambit, Cable ect.
Non of that was a guarantee, just hopes. Rothman was still at Fox and they were not making the best choices with many franchises.

def28 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #59
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,863
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Yes, no guarantees on that.

Fox was talking about ending the main series with X3 well before the film was made, because the films were very expensive to make (because of actor salaries - paying the cast alone cost about 100million).

In that regard, pursuing the First Class series with newer cast who aren't megastars will at least be cheaper on salaries and mean more money for special effects and other pre/post/production costs.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #60
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,022
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Doesn't matter if people didn't like it as much, Spider-Man 3 made almost 900m ww without 3D. Its like the 5th highest grossing comic movie of all time worldwide. It was a very successful film at the box office. The film isn't even critically rated that low for how much it's hated by fans on the internet. It's in the 60s on RT. Not too far from ASM.
Look at what the audience thought.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #61
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,259
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Look at what the audience thought.
They all still or have watched it droves, but Im not talking about the internet preference and everyones opinion on the film. That was not the original point. You said it was unsuccessful and thats pretty far from being true. Spidey makes box office money. Always has, people love him. SM3 box office is not easy to hit. If ASM2 sucks Spidey is still walking away with cash.


Last edited by def28; 02-02-2014 at 09:59 AM.
def28 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #62
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,031
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Look at what the audience thought.
Considering the money it made, the audience must have liked something about it.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #63
JEM
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 283
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

You prove my point of view.

Why Singer left the franchise? Because Fox never wanted to give time and money to X men. The history of this franchise is related to the relationship Bryan Singer-Tom Rothman.
Singer would have stayed in this franchise only under certain conditation (X1 and X2 was rushed production).

In reality, it isn't Singer, Ratner, Vaughn, Hood, it is rather that if Fox had really believed in this franchise since the beginning, we wouldn't be in the situation that after 7 movies we debate on the place Gambit, Storm and Rogue. Rothman wanted to kill the franchise since the beginning, he didn't succeed but slowed his development.

Normally, a successful franchise has his budget increased , Fox has just done the opposite since X2.


Last edited by JEM; 02-02-2014 at 12:18 PM.
JEM is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #64
kasjan
Side-Kick
 
kasjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,608
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Just not having Cyclops, Wolverine, Gambit and Rogue on the same movie is a Huge fail to me, and to many fans.
I see you want Blue Team?

kasjan is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #65
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,132
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
You prove my point of view.

Why Singer left the franchise? Because Fox never wanted to give time and money to X men. The history of this franchise is related to the relationship Bryan Singer-Tom Rothman.
Singer would have stayed in this franchise only under certain conditation (X1 and X2 was rushed production).

In reality, it isn't Singer, Ratner, Vaughn, Hood, it is rather that if Fox had really believed in this franchise since the beginning, we wouldn't be in the situation that after 7 movies we debate on the place Gambit, Storm and Rogue. Rothman wanted to kill the franchise since the beginning, he didn't succeed but slowed his development.

Normally, a successful franchise has his budget increased , Fox has just done the opposite since X2.
Singer has basicly confirmed his depature was because Rothman wouldn't give him money and control he wanted.Singer wanted to more ambias with a 2 part film on Dark Phoenix just lord of the rings and matrix trilogy.The reason why they started doing spin-offs was because of how cheap Rothman was.

__________________
Best Comic Book films-Superman X2 X-Men Days of Future Past The Amazing Spider-Man Batman Returns X-Men Batman Captain America The Winter Soldier The Wolverine The Dark Knight
marvelrobbins is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #66
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,259
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
In reality, it isn't Singer, Ratner, Vaughn, Hood, it is rather that if Fox had really believed in this franchise since the beginning, we wouldn't be in the situation that after 7 movies we debate on the place Gambit, Storm and Rogue. Rothman wanted to kill the franchise since the beginning, he didn't succeed but slowed his development.
Fox could have definitely handled things better but again, that doesn't mean those characters would have had the development you wanted with those directors. There's no guarantee Singer would have focused on Storm, Gambit and Rogue and done what people want with them. I doubt Storm would have had much more focus in Singers X3. Storm probably got more screen time and lines in the X3 we got.


Last edited by def28; 02-02-2014 at 12:49 PM.
def28 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #67
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,132
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Fox could have definitely handled things better but again, that doesn't mean those characters would have had the development you wanted with those directors. There's no guarantee Singer would have focused on Storm, Gambit and Rogue and done what people want with them. I doubt Storm would have had much more focus in Singers X3. Storm probably got more screen time and lines in the X3 we got.
Singer's X3 would have been much better than what we got with Last Stand.A part version of dark phoenix with no cure storyline already Is much better.

__________________
Best Comic Book films-Superman X2 X-Men Days of Future Past The Amazing Spider-Man Batman Returns X-Men Batman Captain America The Winter Soldier The Wolverine The Dark Knight
marvelrobbins is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #68
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!
 
Mulholland-Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,199
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Let's not bring that up again. I just now got clean.

Mulholland-Jr is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #69
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,259
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Singer's X3 would have been much better than what we got with Last Stand.A part version of dark phoenix with no cure storyline already Is much better.
Im not debating the Phoenix or the films quality being better marvelrobbins. Im sure it wouldnt have had half as many issues. But I don't think fans would have gotten the focused versions of Storm, Gambit and Rogue they have wanted in that film. It wasn't going to be about them.

But yeah, thats all in the past.


Last edited by def28; 02-02-2014 at 01:06 PM.
def28 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #70
JEM
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 283
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

I didn't say that the fans would have gotten what they wants in X3. In a film about the Phoenix saga, it is normal that the main characters are Cyclops, Wolverine and Jean. So fans should understand that it can't be only on Rogue and Gambit during 2 hours .

My main point is that if we had 7 films not necessarily made ​​by Singer but in a coherent vision with good production, fans would have been more satisfied (Rogue, Gambit , Sinister, Storm, Apoc ). The franchise would evolve in normal way with or without Singer.

But like you said thats all in the past.

JEM is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #71
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,259
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
My main point is that if we had 7 films not necessarily made ​​by Singer but in a coherent vision with good production, fans would have been more satisfied
Agreed.

def28 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #72
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick
 
jaymes_e06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana unfortunately....
Posts: 14,886
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
There has been four Spider-Man films and SM3 wasn't a success, that gives us three films to various degrees people liked.

Now Cap has First Avenger which was no Iron Man but I think the general concensus was that it was liked or atleast decent. The Avengers (which featured Cap) made more money and is more liked than any Spidey film thus far.
I don't think that that makes a difference honestly. The novelty of the team film of over the top superheroes is more indicative of it's success. Even then he was not the lead he was a part of an ensemble cast. They are different animals. That being said the movie has definitely been helped by the Avengers success just not to the degree which you are proposing. The bottom line is Caps film only made $370 million compared to the $2.5 billion that the Spider-Man films have made overall.

What do you mean SM3 wasn't sucessful? It made more than any other SM film ever.

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #73
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota
 
Tymminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,154
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

I just want it to do well enough for us to get X-M:AoA.

__________________
"I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me." ~The 11th Doctor
Tymminator is online now  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #74
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick
 
EnDz0n3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,058
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Hugh is on Super Bowl Pre-game right now! They also showed Pat and Ian's Super Bowl pic.

The interviewer also mentioned X-men DOFP twice.

SHOW THE PEOPLE THE TRAILER!

EnDz0n3 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #75
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: chicago,il
Posts: 743
Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

DOFP

180-200 domestic. 450-500 mil worldwide.

PoSeiDon is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.