The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 02-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #51
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Default Re: Agent 13

this movie is the introduction of Sharon as far as I'm concerned. Maybe she will play a role later

ctsketch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #52
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Heh, in that single second shot of EVC in the UK trailer, I'm actually legit shipping Steve/Sharon already. I'm easy like that.

I liked her swagger a lot. Also, the eyesex she was throwing Cap's way. If he's still a virgin in this movie, he's not after that look she gave him.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #53
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Heh, in that single second shot of EVC in the UK trailer, I'm actually legit shipping Steve/Sharon already. I'm easy like that.

I liked her swagger a lot. Also, the eyesex she was throwing Cap's way. If he's still a virgin in this movie, he's not after that look she gave him.
Lol!

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #54
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Isn't the question what is right for this film? And if that answer is Natasha, why shouldn't she be the female lead? There is a difference between wanting Sharon, and saying she should be the lead, without acknowledge the filmverse and what is best for this particular story and film.
I think good writing can make any character work best, and I think either of those characters fit the story.

And a lot of what we've heard about Natasha's dynamic with Steve has applied to Sharon in the comics, and could apply to her in film.

Mostly, I think the decision to cast Natasha as female lead is a lot more to do with what's best for Marvel Studios than what's best for this particular movie. She's a more easily recognizable character and played by a more bankable actress.

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #55
Loki882
Side-Kick

It's a bit too early to make claims like that. This complaints do seem to come down to essentially "the character who's getting the focus isn't the one that I WANT to get the focus and therefore it's a mistake." That's not a flaw with the movie or it's narrative, that's just people being angry that they're own personal preference isn't happening, at least not yet.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #56
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
I think good writing can make any character work best, and I think either of those characters fit the story.

And a lot of what we've heard about Natasha's dynamic with Steve has applied to Sharon in the comics, and could apply to her in film.

Mostly, I think the decision to cast Natasha as female lead is a lot more to do with what's best for Marvel Studios than what's best for this particular movie. She's a more easily recognizable character and played by a more bankable actress.
One of the first things you learn about good writing is you don't force it. You don't make a character work, the character works or the character doesn't. It has to be natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
It's a bit too early to make claims like that. This complaints do seem to come down to essentially "the character who's getting the focus isn't the one that I WANT to get the focus and therefore it's a mistake." That's not a flaw with the movie or it's narrative, that's just people being angry that they're own personal preference isn't happening, at least not yet.
Agree. Which is why saying Sharon should be the lead without having seen how the film and its narrative plays out is just sour grapes.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #57
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
I'm still shocked by how little we've seen of her in this movie. Sharon Carter is a pretty important character to Cap's story and Emily VanCamp is a pretty known actress, specifically from Revenge.
I know I don't speak for everyone, but before being cast in this movie I wasn't aware of Emily VanCamp. So even though Revenge may be a successful show for its network, that doesn't necessarily translate to big-time stardom and casual recognition for its cast, especially the crowd that goes to see blockbuster movies.

Not saying she isn't worthy of the role, but I totally understand why Black Widow is the female lead in this film because she's already a bankable character from the Avengers franchise.

H.U.S.T.L.E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #58
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Revenge isn't really all that successful. It started out hot, but it really dropped off in popularity. She isn't a "draw" if you will. Though she is a fine young actress.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #59
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Again, no one said its a mistake.

Not one called it a flaw.

People are allowed to have preferences.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #60
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
One of the first things you learn about good writing is you don't force it. You don't make a character work, the character works or the character doesn't. It has to be natural.
Well, the character worked for years in comics.

So I'm pretty sure it can work for the movie without 'forcing'.

Last edited by BullMcGiveny; 02-03-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #61
MysticRain
Side-Kick

Glad to see they are starting to show the character more in the trailers.

MysticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #62
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
I get the feeling that she may be working as a spy for Fury to keep an eye on Pierce since we all know Fury doesn't really trust anyone.
She did it in the comics, when hill was made director of S.H.I.E.L.D. So it would make sense for her to be his eyes while he's relived of duty as the head of Shield.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #63
OccamsTaser
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Again, no one said its a mistake.

Not one called it a flaw.
You may not have outright stated that it is a mistake, but your comment that Natasha being the female lead is not "what's best for this particular movie" certainly implied that it is a mistake.

And as for Natasha being played by a more "bankable actress," it's not like Marvel couldn't have cast a well-known, popular actress as Sharon. They just chose to cast some random basic TV girl instead.

OccamsTaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #64
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post

This.

Also, regardless of whether or not Marvel did it purposefully, she definitely still looks like Hayley Atwell to me and I can't unsee the resemblance.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #65
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Any character is the result of writing.

Someone could write Sharon in a way that serves the story well.

Someone could take Natasha and fail to deliver on any of the points that make her a good fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccamsTaser View Post
You may not have outright stated that it is a mistake, but your comment that Natasha being the female lead is not "what's best for this particular movie" certainly implied that it is a mistake.
No, my comment that whats best for the movie might not have been the main reason behind Marvel's decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccamsTaser View Post
And as for Natasha being played by a more "bankable actress," it's not like Marvel couldn't have cast a well-known, popular actress as Sharon. They just chose to cast some random basic TV girl instead.
Well, there isn't a more bankable actress than Scarlett Johansson. Not in the desired age range, at least.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #66
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Well talk Is going the reason we have seen almost nothing of Sharon Is because she's basiclly a cameo role In film.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #67
ctsketch
Side-Kick

I love the amount of professional writers we have on this board

ctsketch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #68
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

it's just the timing of it all. In Brubaker's run, Sharon was the vital co lead character because Steve had already known her, as well as the audience, for quite some time. So she had her own part of the story and only needed minor background explanation. ... Not the case in the film verse... Steve doesn't know Sharon yet, and neither do most of the audience, so her character will take time to develope. I was certainly hoping to see more of Sharon in the TWS, especially because I love Vancamp. Hopefully we'll see her in a full co lead role in Cap3.

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #69
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
I love the amount of professional writers we have on this board
*raises hand*
Out of the game for about the past eleven years, though.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #70
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Sharon Carter: Glorified cameo. (Spoilers)

Last edited by BullMcGiveny; 02-06-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #71
SharpTeeth
Side-Kick

I think that a large part of the decision to use Natasha instead of Sharon comes from people's desire to see a female superhero on screen. After the Avengers, Natasha is considered a superhero in a way Sharon or Maria or Coulson are not. When media outlets ask Marvel when they are going to release a female-led superhero movie, Marvel can point to Black Widow being the 'co-lead' of Cap2 (ridiculous, IMO, as the trailers seem to show that this is clearly Steve's movie).

I'm pretty sure that Sharon could have been used in this story instead of Natasha without any huge changes - the two of them have a lot of similarities. But using Natasha is better PR.

SharpTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #72
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Johansson is an established star and was featured in Iron Man 2 and Avengers, makes more sense instead of introducing a new character right off the bat.

Unfortunately, it comes at the cost of decreasing Sharon Carter's role in the story.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:44 AM   #73
guy66657
Side-Kick

Well they could have just added in Sharon as the female buddy as they added Black Widow in Iron Man 2. I assume it's only cause people already know Black Widow? Though I wouldn't mind as long as Sharon gets a bigger role in the future.

guy66657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:19 AM   #74
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Frankly, I doubt Marvel has any real plans for Sharon. If they ever had an intention for her to be a prominent character, they've gone about it the wrong way.

Last edited by BullMcGiveny; 02-06-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #75
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Well, maybe she can appear in AOS then?

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote