DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 8

@spideyfan: Actually, you're wrong. This is the definition of Gravitas:
Quote:
grav·i·tas noun \ˈgra-və-ˌtäs, -ˌtas\
: a very serious quality or manner

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #978
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Ron View Post
Okay, that made me laugh.
Much as I wish I'd have thought of it, credit goes to Dark Raven.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 02-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #979
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
@spideyfan: Actually, you're wrong. This is the definition of Gravitas:
@fanficwriter

Good for that. The cast still does not have the "gravitas" to be considered for the role.....

"seriousness" is also a "vibe one gives off" Kate Mara does not remotely begin to emote the same persona sue is

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #980
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikePirado View Post
And they're going to play the characters as they're written in the script (and as the director envision them).
At the moment I'm not sure a thumbs up on that one is appropriate. Not for anyone who was hoping we might get something like the 616 FF at any rate.

And tbh, I'm always a little wary of the 'Directors vision' taking over someone else's creation too much for a film. Sometimes it can work well (Nolan's Batman) sometimes not so well (Schumakers Batman).

Hopefully Trank's 'vision' is not too far off from the 616 FF, but the rumours so far do suggest his take on them will not be one us older fans will find much to our liking. Looking much more like an UFF turn atm, and personally, that's not what I want to see.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #981
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
I've not made up my mind about anything.

As for 'legitimate' reasons, I can think of several off the top of my head as to why a particular actor might not be right for a given role:
* The actor in question doesn't have the 'gravitas' for the role in question
* The role in question legitimately requires an actor of a certain age, gender, or ethnicity and the actor in question does not fit those criteria
* The role in question has been 'earmarked' for actors with a certain level of experience that the actor in question doesn't yet have
So does Miles Teller have the gravitas to play Reed?

Is Miles teller the right age to play Reed?

Does Miles Teller have the physical appearance to play Reed? (Just because you've taken it off the table doesn't mean it's not a valid question for a film based on characters that have defined appearances)

And don't cop out and say the answers depend on the studio's and director's vision. We know who the Fantastic Four are. If the studio and director aren't giving us the Fantastic Four then they shouldn't tell us they are.

The answers to those questions are obvious to FF fans, so it's not really as complicated a discussion as you'd like to try to make it.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #982
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

An accurate example of the word 'gravitas' that proves you're still using it wrong even after I accurately defined it (courtesy of Merriam-Webster):
Quote:
a comic actress who lacks the gravitas for dramatic roles

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Old 02-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #983
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
An accurate example of the word 'gravitas' that proves you're still using it wrong even after I accurately defined it (courtesy of Merriam-Webster):
And yet "seriousness" isn't the only quality that goes into a role... SUE is a motherly character... Kate mara doesn't fit the bill

Move on we've made our point

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #984
Rike
Something strange here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
At the moment I'm not sure a thumbs up on that one is appropriate. Not for anyone who was hoping we might get something like the 616 FF at any rate.

And tbh, I'm always a little wary of the 'Directors vision' taking over someone else's creation too much for a film. Sometimes it can work well (Nolan's Batman) sometimes not so well (Schumakers Batman).

Hopefully Trank's 'vision' is not too far off from the 616 FF, but the rumours so far do suggest his take on them will not be one us older fans will find much to our liking. Looking much more like an UFF turn atm, and personally, that's not what I want to see.
The thumbs up was for the quote "These people are ACTORS".

And I was referring to the comments that said these actors would play the characters in the same way they have interpreted other characters (which we have no way of knowing, since nobody knows how they are going to be written in the script).

Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #985
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
While I prefer to wait until we have an actual cast before commenting, I will say that Miles Teller is completely wrong for Reed in nearly every way.

Miles is a nice, likable everyman. We can see ourselves hanging out with him. He seems fun and funny - just like one of our friends.

Reed isn't a likable everyman. He's exceptional. He's strong, confident, a bit arrogant and an a**hole at times. He's a little bit scary and intimidating - he's smarter than us and we and he know it. We wouldn't want to hang out and socialize with him, but he's a leader and a doer and we sure would want him around if trouble was brewing.
The problem Willie with that description is that is a 616 description of Reed....that is not necessarily Reed in the UFF, pretty much because he is much younger. He isn't "as serious". It may not seem like a lot, but just from reading the comics, it seemed very different to me.

Last edited by Kelly; 02-05-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #986
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
The problem Willie with that description is that is a 616 description of Reed....that is not Reed in the UFF.
Well to me, UFF isn't FF. To me, saying the FF are defined by UFF would be analogous to saying Batman is defined by the Schumacher films.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #987
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Hey, I'm simply saying that from what we have seen thus far, and from what we had in the first two movies. They tend to be leaning towards the UFF. YOUNGER people tend to have some of the inherent characteristics that they will keep into adulthood, but if they are going from the very beginning, as in an "origin" movie from the UFF, then he will be younger, and his father will be totally different, his upbringing different, and in later issues he is FAR more than a a**hole. There are some differences in the young Reed of UFF, and the adult Reed of 616. Just saying...

Old 02-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #988
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well to me, UFF isn't FF. To me, saying the FF are defined by UFF would be analogous to saying Batman is defined by the Schumacher films.
So, basically, you have no truly legitimate reason(s) for why these particular actors are wrong for these roles.

Quote:
Old 02-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #989
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Which was inspired by the Silver Age as well as the Adam West show. Like it or not, they are indisputably seminal periods of the property.

The Ultimate universe may be young in comparison, but for many people it was their introductions to this world. They're not any less valid.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #990
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Not to mention... Other then the ages ... If the leaked synopsis has any validity, this doesn't sound much like the ultimate FF either

Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #991
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
^ So, basically, you have no truly legitimate reason(s) for why these particular actors are wrong for these roles.
Move on.....the reason you are probably not getting an answer is because you are being extremely rude, you are probably being ignored.

You are wanting objective reasoning in a discussion it's very much open ended. It's their opinion, they "just don't see" these actors for these roles. They very well may do a fantastic job, but right now some just don't like the choices thus far. It's an opinion...they can have it, without giving you an essay as to why they have that opinion.

Opinions right now with as little as we have in real information are very subjective, and that's ok...

Last edited by Kelly; 02-05-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #992
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ I don't feel like I'm being rude, but will drop the subject because you've asked me to.

Quote:
Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #993
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Not to mention... Other then the ages ... If the leaked synopsis has any validity, this doesn't sound much like the ultimate FF either
At this point, who the hell knows.....lol

Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #994
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Agree entirely.

616 FF is still in print after more than 50 years. The UFF book had it's day and is done, their characters now only showing up for Ultimate 'events'.

The math seems simple to me so I know which book I'd be looking at for inspiration and direction. Hint: it's not the one where Reed becomes a deformed genocidal lunatic, Ben in banging Sue, and the title has joined the choir invisible.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #995
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

About the possible changes being made... if the eventual movie is better for it, then they should go for it. A lot of you naysayers seem like the ones who derided the likes of Tobey Maguire, Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Lawrence, Heath Ledger, Ben Affleck, et al when they were cast in prominent franchise roles. (I remember being thrilled when Lawrence Fishburne was cast as Perry White in MOS.)

Just saying... but it seems like Fox and Trank are trying to find the best actors for the quartet, not exactly big names. Who knows, the final product might be better than expected.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #996
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
About the possible changes being made... if the eventual movie is better for it, then they should go for it. A lot of you naysayers seem like the ones who derided the likes of Tobey Maguire, Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Lawrence, Heath Ledger, Ben Affleck, et al when they were cast in prominent franchise roles. (I remember being thrilled when Lawrence Fishburne was cast as Perry White in MOS.)

Just saying... but it seems like Fox and Trank are trying to find the best actors for the quartet, not exactly big names. Who knows, the final product might be better than expected.
What?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #997
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post

To be honest, I'm having a hard time believing there is no acting equivalent/superior for a role which is conveniently the biggest demographic in Hollywood; white males. It's impossible to run out of candidates.

When studios/directors deliberately go outside the box in those cases, logic tells me it's to capitalize on the novelty or cashing in on an actor's rising stock.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #998
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
To be honest, I'm having a hard time believing there is no acting equivalent/superior for a role which is conveniently the biggest demographic in Hollywood; white males. It's impossible to run out of candidates.

When studios/directors deliberately go outside the box in those cases, logic tells me it's to capitalize on the novelty or cashing in on an actor's rising stock.
Being the Directors BFF also helps....Just saying...

Old 02-05-2014, 11:09 PM   #999
JP
Smelly

They did one movie together where he had a minor supporting role 2 years ago. Total BFFs.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:09 PM   #1000
Sardaukar
Side-Kick

Yeah, it gets me when people say Michael B Jordan is just the PERFECT choice for Johnny Storm.

Really? There's no one better in all of Hollywood? The fact that he knows the director and participated in his last project has no bearing on him likely being in this picture?

Closed Thread