The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Returns

Old 01-18-2014, 06:06 AM   #26
Ipodman
Love Tension

Default Re: Superman Returns - Extended Cut

Now I feel like watching this film again... I like the fact that Superman is seen actually saving people in Superman Returns, something I find missing in MOS

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #27
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodman View Post
Now I feel like watching this film again... I like the fact that Superman is seen actually saving people in Superman Returns, something I find missing in MOS
Yeah cause Superman didn't save people in Man of Steel i.e. The oil rig workers, bus full of kids. (including Pete Ross separately) as a kid, the soldier that fell out the helicopter, Colonel Hardy when Faora was about to kill him with a knife, the family that Zod tried to kill, Lois Lane several times and oh yeah the entire human race!

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:53 AM   #28
Ipodman
Love Tension

Saving in a cheesy heroic manner

Old 01-19-2014, 04:06 AM   #29
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodman View Post
Saving in a cheesy heroic manner
Well you got me there

It will come back one day, everything has its day, right now we're in the serious moments but one day I reckon they'll go back to been more lighthearted. May be not cheesy per se but something that's more about the heroic nature rather than angst.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:12 AM   #30
Ipodman
Love Tension

Yeah I hope the triumphant heroism comes back sooner or later. There's actually a bit of that in MOS - the scene where Superman's in the prison. Looks like Henry Cavill was channelling Christopher Reeves there and I loved it

Old 01-19-2014, 05:11 AM   #31
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I love Man of Steel but as with anything things change in future so
I reckon we'll definitely get a different incarnation once again in future. I actually have an idea for a lighter hearted version that still maintains a serious edge, based on Grant Morrison's Action Comics origin run.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #32
Spamtron
THE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I've just watched the Superman Restored Cut and I think its definitely a more improved cut than the one we saw in cinemas or on TV, Blu Ray, etc. Now don't get me wrong it isn't perfect, there are one of two moments where his editing was a little off but nothing major. From a personal stand point ?I wanted the deleted scene where Lex and co are heading to the Fortress adding in but the editor obviously didn't feel it was needed. Bosworth still grates on me (although thankfully a little more than less with some nice editing), the kid aspect is obviously still there and the ending is still bloated but some problems cannot be fixed by simply re-editing. However, he did re-edit many things and to great effect:

Adding in the Return to Krypton Sequence, more Smallville portions of the film (i.e. restoring Ben Hubbard's scenes and Clark burying the ship) and adding the voice over conversation between Clark and Martha over the flying scene (in place of the Jor El speech) go a long way in making this feel more like Clark's film. I felt the theatrical cut really made it seem like Lois Lane/Lex Luthor Returns featuring Superman but not in this version.

Another note on adding in Clark's conversation with Martha VO really hardens back to Superman the Movie where his Father (Glen Ford) is telling him he was sent here for a reason, especially with the similar imagery of Superman flying towards the clouds. I loved that about it.

I think omitting the Brando dialogue was clever in certain scenes, as other than Superman the Movie fans I can imagine people wouldn't understand why it was there.

I think what this guy did best with his cut of Superman Returns though was simply in re-editing. He makes scenes fly by (no pun intended) with the way he cuts them. No longer do certain scenes seem slow and laboured but thrilling and fun, this is most notable in the way he cut the museum robbery in with Kitty's car trouble.

To be honest I think this cut makes Singer seem look worse as a director he didn't seem to know how to edit his film to better the pacing. Here some guy off the street has come in and re-edited this from an average film to a good film. If there is one thing this edit proved its that simply re-adding the scenes won't make the film any better but doing that along with some re-editing (to make the pacing better) would. I will definitely re-visit this from time to time and had this version been what was released I'd definitely give it a 7.5-8/10.
Are you talking about the tomahawk link or the one people can't seem to find referenced earlier? Got a link to this re-edit in not the tomahawk? Who love for a full on director's/uncut came out... personally liked SR a lot despite the Donnerisms that it still kept in play.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #33
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamtron View Post
Are you talking about the tomahawk link or the one people can't seem to find referenced earlier? Got a link to this re-edit in not the tomahawk? Who love for a full on director's/uncut came out... personally liked SR a lot despite the Donnerisms that it still kept in play.
All I know is it's called Superman Restored. I'm unsure who made it, sorry.