The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which Zod do you prefer ?
Michael Shannon (acting) 6 33.33%
Terence Stamp (acting) 4 22.22%
Superman II's Zod character (Mario Puzo/Tom Mankiewicz) 1 5.56%
Man of Steel's Zod character (Snyder/Goyer/Nolan) 5 27.78%
a mix of one version's acting with the other's characterization 2 11.11%
prefer a different version of Zod (comics, animated films) 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default I will find him or Kneel before Zod ! Choose your favourite Zod portrayal

Yo MOS fans ! General Zod is one of THE quintessential Superman villains.

We've seen two very different versions of the characters on the big screen.

To accommodate this, the discussion needs to include both comparisons of acting and characterization (the way in which the character itself was represented Stamps' somewhat campy megalomaniac would-be dictator, vs Shannon's obsessed, fanatical genocidal monster with a propensity for shouting ).

So, which do you prefer.

Michael Shannon's acting

Terence Stamp's acting

The Superman II characterization of Zod (Mario Puzo/Tom Mankiewicz)

the Man of Steel characterization of Zod (Snyder/Goyer)

or perhaps an amalgam (e.g. Stamp playing the Zod from MOS),
which would be fantastic.

Personally, I think that the actor's contribution and the writer/director's contributions are separable, but that's just IMO.

If you don't feel that way, feel free to say so and why,
after all it's all just opinions -which is why it's a "which is your fave " thread.

Or if you prefer neither, is there a particular comic book or animated
version of Zod that's your fave ?

Last edited by Batmannerism; 02-01-2014 at 02:36 AM. Reason: missed something
Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:09 AM   #2
bluearth
Side-Kick

Default Re: I will find him or Kneel before Zod ! Choose your favourite Zod portrayal

Man of Steel's characterization and Stamp's acting

Michael Shannon's Zod was too mechanical because of his genetic engineering, but his motive was more believable

Stamp's Zod was too much of a Diva, but his goals were unique, even though they were cartoonish

If I had to choose one I'd go with Stamp's Zod because he had more charisma

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:33 AM   #3
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: I will find him or Kneel before Zod ! Choose your favourite Zod portrayal

They're both superb in the films they are in, neither would work in the others film. I don't prefer one over the other in the same way I don't prefer Jack Nicholson's Joker over Heath Ledger's Joker and vice versa. Its a tie.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
sef
Side-Kick

For me there's way too much of the stereotypical 'stache-twirling villain in Stamp's portrayal - not to mention the flamboyant campness - to take this incarnation and characterization of Zod serious.
And I generally prefer serious comic book movies.

Ergo - Shannon's General Zod (with a capital 'General') all the way.
Whose motives and purpose you can actually relate to, whose in a way admirable devotion for Krypton pushes him to become "evil" and who you may even end up rooting for in the end ('And now... I have no people.').

Last edited by sef; 02-01-2014 at 10:41 AM.
sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Eh, I cannot chose. Both were very good in their movies.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero

Choosing is kind of hard, whether you're going for portrayal or just plain ol' preference.....I don't think I can vote. I love both interpretations far too much.

Hulk-1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

You know I've been thinking about this since I last posted here and I actually think Stamps portrayal is my favourite. Simply because he's more memorable, which is no fault of Shannon's its just that portrayal was different. Stamp's Zod might be my favourite villain ever tbh.

Shannon owned the role in MOS and as I've said before neithers version would work in each others films but I just lean abit more towards Terrence Stamp.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I chose man of steel's Zod character. It was more interesting than previous Zods.

MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

Shannon. Both the characterization and the acting were over-the-top, but I just enjoyed them both. Stamp is a delight to watch, but I never took his Zod as a legitimate threat. More like an operatic punching bag.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Man... This one was a tough choice. I thought that Shannon did an excellent job as Zod. When he learned to fly, I, a 37 year old, was actually scared for a brief moment that Supes was really in trouble. Snyder's presentation and Shannon's acting gave us a Zod that is of course more well rounded and with more dimension than what we got previously. That being said.... C'mon son!!! Terrance's Zod is so much fun, and so imposing in his own way. There is a reason his catch phrase is a genre favorite and classic. This is hard, but someone has to come out a winner I suppose, and after seeing S:TM/SII and MOS back to back I have to call it in favor of Shannon. The pathos and empathy in his Zod makes him an understandable monster. I think that the best test of a new portrayal in a genre/franchise piece like this is to ask if this new version has added anything of value to the character that will have a lasting impact. I'd say the specific touches of this film did that for Zod. I would also say that Shannon's impact probably took a C to B lister and put him in the A list of Superman villains.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote