The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #901
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Rickon is a character I can't wait to get a POV chapter for.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #902
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by antondlt View Post
So, yeah. Just read the chapter about who Young Griff really is.
When I read that, it was unbelievable to me. I kinda fell outta the book when I read that. But now, I'm good with it.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I just hope he really is a Targ and not a fake one conjured up by Varys. I can't take all this deception!

Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #903
Drz
Real Hero

To me, it's not important who Griffon truly is, but what he stands for.

I hope us readers will never know the full story behind his lineage.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #904
Victarion
Cut

I wonder what Qyburn needed all those female victims for, aside from him just being lonely. Perhaps
the Stranger will arise from the depths of the Red Keep? How unexpected would to be for Ser Robert's helm to be knocked off, revealing someone who looks to be neither wholly man nor woman, but the Stranger itself? Such a development would throw the High Sparrow, I think

Old 02-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #905
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I think Qyburn took women for vivisection/experiment because women give birth and he's basically Victor Frankenstein in trying to create artificial life.

The interesting thing about faith in Westeros is we know the Old Gods and Red God exist in some capacity. The Faith of the Seven, despite being the most organized and official religion of Westeros, has shown no little to no evidence that they do exist. I always interpreted this as a commentary on religion from GRRM. Not that an organized religion is wrong or bad, but any faith doesn't need structure to be considered legitimate.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #906
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

I think Young Griff is who Old Griff says he is, I could see it changing but eyes are kinda hard to beat.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #907
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Ashara Dayne had the same eyes as that family did. As do many from Lys where such features are deliberately bred into the bedslaves.

The Blackfyre theory makes the most sense to me, we've had a lot of hints and foreshadowing about it.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:18 AM   #908
Drz
Real Hero

What i love about the Golden Company in regards to the upcoming wars and television show:
War Elephants! In Westeros! I love the idea, i can't wait to see these giant behemoths making a clash.

I love the suggestion of Rickon Stark POV, the kid has suffered so much at a young age, hence i liked the fan theory of him becoming such a cold Winterfell lord.

I also hope we get some Dothraki POV, Martin has hinted at that, since we only know the Dothraki culture from an outsider perspective.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #909
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

What about Mammoth's beyond the Wall?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #910
antondlt
Fish fingers and custard.

I find A Dance with Dragons the most boring book in the series. At least, from what I've read so far in the book. I'm not saying that it's not good, but it's just that it doesn't appeal to me as much as the previous books.

A Storm of Swords is my favorite. That one was magnificent.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #911
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by antondlt View Post
I find A Dance with Dragons the most boring book in the series. At least, from what I've read so far in the book. I'm not saying that it's not good, but it's just that it doesn't appeal to me as much as the previous books.

A Storm of Swords is my favorite. That one was magnificent.
It definitely needed a better edit job. I think he knocked over so many pieces in A Storm of Swords that he needed a resetting of the board, so to speak. The end of Dance is really good though.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #912
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Ashara Dayne had the same eyes as that family did. As do many from Lys where such features are deliberately bred into the bedslaves.

The Blackfyre theory makes the most sense to me, we've had a lot of hints and foreshadowing about it.
I'd say that's sound but the hair color as well helps. I know these are trivial but they are strong indicators if you ask me.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #913
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
What about Mammoth's beyond the Wall?
I loved the Mammoths, but we don't know will we see the Giants or Mammoths going south, gonna be interesting how much fantasy this series will end.

Aren't Mammoths near extinction?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #914
Baramos
Side-Kick

The Blackfyre theory makes the most sense to me as well.
There doesn't seem to be much explanation for providing us with the connections to Illyrio Mopatis' wife and also pointing out that the Blackfyre line continued in the female line after the death of Maelys if it isn't borne out somehow. It also gives a reason for Illyrio's support of the whole scheme, as he seems much more interested in putting a Targaryen back on the throne than one would expect from someone in Pentos if he wasn't personally invested in it.

Last edited by Baramos; 02-12-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #915
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
I'd say that's sound but the hair color as well helps. I know these are trivial but they are strong indicators if you ask me.
Look at the Bastard of Driftmark, that guy has the silver-gold hair of Targaryen, he even looks a lot like Rhaegar yet he's not a Targ or immediately related to them.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #916
Victarion
Cut

What's this I've heard about Arianne
having been in a cavern used by the Children of the Forest? Supposedly from a TWOW chapter, though I haven't seen it.

He's a secret Targ. Every house gets a secret Targ.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #917
Drz
Real Hero

Do you guys think this is Coldhands?

Because if he is, it would be the first thing the television series kinda gives away, instead of the book. Granted, the book has given a strong hints on the identity of Coldhands, but if that is Coldhands, it kinda seals the deal.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #918
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Interesting point, Drz.

The timing is perfect, as I was talking with a friend yesterday about the identity of Coldhands.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #919
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post

Because if he is, it would be the first thing the television series kinda gives away, instead of the book. Granted, the book has given a strong hints on the identity of Coldhands, but if that is Coldhands, it kinda seals the deal.
It looks like a white walker, but it might be. Also, maybe I'm just slow here, but what does that give away exactly?

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #920
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post

No, that's a White Walker.

There's nothing that could be interpreted as Coldhands. Coldhands looked like wight (i.e. a human with white skin, blue eyes, and black hands), not a White Walker. He wears Night's Watch cloaks, has his face covered, and first appeared riding a stag. Even if they replace it with a horse (which wouldn't make sense since stags would be find in the wild north of the Wall), it's a White Walker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
It looks like a white walker, but it might be. Also, maybe I'm just slow here, but what does that give away exactly?
One theory of Coldhands' identity is that he's Benjen, who was turned into a wight by White Walkers but saved by the Children of the Forest. His warging abilities are due to his Stark blood. He goes to great lengths to keep his face covered, which people interpret because he doesn't want Bran to recognize him.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #921
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
No, that's a White Walker.

There's nothing that could be interpreted as Coldhands. Coldhands looked like wight (i.e. a human with white skin, blue eyes, and black hands), not a White Walker. He wears Night's Watch cloaks, has his face covered, and first appeared riding a stag. Even if they replace it with a horse (which wouldn't make sense since stags would be find in the wild north of the Wall), it's a White Walker.

One theory of Coldhands' identity is that he's Benjen, who was turned into a wight by White Walkers but saved by the Children of the Forest. His warging abilities are due to his Stark blood. He goes to great lengths to keep his face covered, which people interpret because he doesn't want Bran to recognize him.
Yeah I've heard that theory before, I just wasn't sure how that picture "gave it away" so to speak. Nothing in it really indicated any one person to me. Besides the fact that it definitely looks like a white walker.

And I thought it had to be Benjen as well, until the Children of the Forest said he had died "long ago." Given how long they live, he must be very old indeed if it was long ago for them. Of course, that's assuming they were talking about age in their terms, and not Bran's.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #922
Victarion
Cut

I wonder why they waited until now to have a clothed White Walker. Looking back at the S2 E10 scene, that one's not nearly as covered as the new one.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:42 AM   #923
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I'm pretty sure Coldhands is the Night's King given life by the Children, Brandon Stark of however many thousand years ago.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #924
Lord
All Mighty

Just discovered this

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #925
Drz
Real Hero

Roose Bolton aka Oberon Sexton aka Joker, i have a question regarding this quote of yours:
Quote:
You mistake my meaning. A joke at the top based around the fact that we've been posting extended and detailed spoilers for the last few pages. The second was my prediction.

If you look at ADWD it's main theme is characters denying themselves and their own identities. This is most obviously personified by Theon, but is also strongly apparent in most of the other story lines running through that particular book. Jon denies his Stark heritage in the post Red Wedding world and throughout the book choices to think of himself purely as a man of the Watch until he reads a certain letter. Ser Barristan starts off as a simple Kingsguard knight who denies any political machinations until he's forced into taking on a bigger role. Victarion starts off as a strictly military man with no greater ambition beyond his role as Iron Captain until he gets his magical epiphany.

With these two characters and Theon it's even underlined in their Chapter titles. Reek doesn't become Theon until he makes his choice, The Iron Captain doesn't become Victarion until he decides to embrace things other than the Ironborn way. Quentyn thinks of himself as hero of a fairy tale as denies the fact that he's just a plain, ordinary man with no special qualities hence the reason why he has no "name".

That should be reflected in the season 5 marketing IMO
Do you think Jon Snow would become Jon Stark by Stannis Baratheon? How does that even work, surely the oath forbids that, would he possibly gain the title "oath breaker"? :b

Also how do you see the fate of Jon Snow happen? Personally:
Let him become a Zombie, let Melisandre resurrect him, but leave something clearly visible for Jon Snow to be clearly seen as something more than a ordinery man, Beric Dondarrion carried his scars, Victarion Greyjoy has a burning hand, let's have something visible for our resurrected hero, also let's have Jon Snow team up with the White Walkers, screw the Azor Ahai theory.

Closed Thread