The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #51
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 14

Quote:
There are two handles on the shield and Steve Rogers can hold onto the handles in order to utilize it in an eastern style of fighting.
What is an 'eastern style of fighting'?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #52
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Character Descriptions and Fun Facts

Steve Rogers aka Captain America
After a top secret Super-Soldier program transformed Steve Rogers into the powerful and heroic Captain America, his amazing WWII exploits made him a living legend, but after awakening in present day following being frozen in ice for decades, Steve found himself alone in a modern world that he hardly recognized. Nevertheless, he quickly suited up as Captain America to help The Avengers defend Earth against Loki’s treachery. After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers team, Steve is living a quiet life in Washington, D.C., struggling to adjust to his new life, when he is drawn into a web of intrigue and danger to unmask a powerful but shadowy enemy that threatens to put the world at risk.

Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow
S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Natasha Romanoff, aka Black Widow, is one of the world’s greatest spies and quite possibly the world’s most skilled assassin. After the events in New York with The Avengers, where her specialized weapons and vast repertoire of martial arts skills helped the team defeat the invaders, Black Widow returned to S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters to take on new assignments, only to find herself joining forces with Captain America to expose an ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off assailants sent to silence them at every turn.

Sam Wilson aka Falcon
Sam Wilson is an ex-military paratrooper who works with veterans in Washington, D.C. Secretly trained by the military in aerial combat using a specially designed wing pack, Falcon becomes an indispensable ally when he teams up with Captain America and Black Widow to run a danger-filled race to halt an impending threat in its tracks.

Nick Fury
Nick Fury, the legendary director of the international peacekeeping organization, S.H.I.E.L.D, is back at headquarters in Washington, D.C. following the success of his special team, The Avengers, in repelling an alien invasion of New York City. Now Fury is faced with a hidden enemy that threatens to put the world at risk.

Alexander Pierce
A high-ranking S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and personal friend of Nick Fury, Alexander Pierce is respected and politically connected. Often the person who interfaces with prominent world officials, Pierce is polished and well spoken, and presents a credible face to the world on behalf of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Winter Soldier aka Bucky Barnes
Steve Rogers’ best friend Bucky Barnes was thought to have died in World War II. However, he resurfaces decades later as the Winter Soldier, a brainwashed, mega-enhanced Super-Soldier doing dirty work for a mysterious organization. The hardened Winter Soldier has no memories of his former identity and that suits him just fine — he is simply a killing machine.

Brock Rumlow
A highly trained operative on S.H.I.E.L.D.’s counter-terrorism S.T.R.I.K.E team, Rumlow is an excellent soldier and often battles side-by-side with Captain America, for whom he has great respect.

Agent 13
Agent 13 is a young, attractive S.H.I.E.L.D agent with skills in martial arts and weapons whose mission is to guard Steve Rogers — and not let him know it. She is guided by a strong moral compass and is not afraid to speak out when her ethics are challenged.

Agent Maria Hill
Agent Maria Hill proved her worth and her loyalty to both S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury during the events in New York with The Avengers. When she is called to come to Fury’s aid, Hill is drawn into the wide-ranging conspiracy unfolding in Washington, D.C. that has completely entangled both him and Steve Rogers.

----------------------------

Fun Facts

For the scenes in the film that took place on the ship Lumerian Star, the filmmakers used the Sea Launch Commander, docked in Long Beach, Calif. Although there were space challenges involved to choreograph complex fight sequences in the tight spaces of a real ship, the filmmakers were happy to be able to further ground the film in reality by using an existing vessel.

In Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier fans will get to see multiples of the 2.0 version of the helicarrier as well as S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters based in a building called the Triskelion in Washington, D.C. The Triskelion is a newly designed design, state-of- the-art facility that fits seamlessly into the backdrop of Washington.

Sebastian Stan, who plays the Winter Soldier, also went through rigorous fight and weapons training. He took a lot of good-natured ribbing from his friends because he would walk around all day practicing his moves with a plastic knife because he wanted his movements to feel natural.

The filmmakers were interested in adding more of a tactical design to the Falcon costume than was represented in the comic books. Accordingly, they incorporated a lot of real-world webbing, straps and gear. The final result was a costume that retained the iconic parts of the Falcon costume but stripped away the more comic book elements that would not work in the modern day. The Falcon costume takes actor Anthony Mackie 25 minutes to put on.

Anthony Mackie, whose excitement and energy for his character was infectious, liked to say ‘cut the check!’ whenever something had gone right or a scene had been completed. It became a contagious phrase that caught on and before long everyone on set was saying it.

Reigning UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre plays a French mercenary in the film. For the filmmakers, landing the popular MMA fighter for the role was a stroke of luck and good timing but is was equally a stroke of luck for Georges St-Pierre who was excited to get his first chance at being in a big action movie.

Shooting in Washington D.C. put Steve Rogers, Black Widow and Falcon in scenes at some of the most prominent national landmarks, including the Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, National Air and Space Museum, Capitol Building, National Mall, Occidental Restaurant at The Willard Hotel, DuPont Circle Neighborhood and the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge, which the production shut down for the first time ever for the filming of a major motion picture.

In battling the Winter Soldier, Captain America needs all the resources he can get, including his iconic shield, which has a lot more uses in the film. The shield is traditionally used mostly as a defensive weapon, but in Captain America: The Winter Soldier the filmmakers wanted to explore using it more as an offensive weapon. There are two handles on the shield and Steve Rogers can hold onto the handles in order to utilize it in an eastern style of fighting.
BRAVO!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #53
Loki882
Side-Kick

Steve was already using the shield as an offensive weapon in TFA and TA.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #54
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

In ancient Sweden the viking warriors fought brave with the help of their eastern style of fighting. This meant (amongst a lot of other things) that they´d let their secondary palm grasp the one and only handle and rest the shields weight on the forearm in different positions, as opposed to having two handles where you´ll place you entire forearm inside.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #55
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Hmmmm.... if I were to rank the Marvel Studios movies, I'd probably go:

1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. Thor: The Dark World
4. Iron Man 3
5. Captain America: The First Avenger
6. The Incredible Hulk
7. Thor
8. Iron Man 2

As for overall superhero movies....

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman Begins
4. The Avengers
5. Superman: The Movie
6. X2
7. Batman
8. Spider-Man
9. Iron Man
10. X-Men
Not a bad list, not bad at all. Here's mine:

Marvel Studios films:
1. The Avengers.
2. Iron Man.
3. Captain America: TFA.
4. Thor.
5. The Incredible Hulk.
6. Iron Man 3.
7. Thor: TDW.

Overall superhero films:
1. The Avengers.
2. The Dark Knight.
3. Iron Man.
4. Batman Begins.
5. Man of Steel.
6. X2.
7. Spider-Man 2.
8. The Dark Knight Rises.
9. Hellboy.
10. X-Men: FC.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #56
Ultron-5
The One.

This will hopefully be up there with the likes of the dark knight, but i will wait to see it. I had huge hopes for Thor:TDW and even though that was a good movie i felt it was too short and anti climactic.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #57
Ultron-5
The One.

Marvel studios:
1. Captain America: TFA
2. The Avengers
3. Iron Man 3
4. Thor
5. Iron Man
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. The Incredible Hulk
8. Iron Man 2

Old 02-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #58
Ultron-5
The One.

Overall Comic Book Movies:
1. The Dark Knight
2. Captain America: The first avenger
3. Man of Steel
4. The Crow
5. Batman 1989
6. The Wolverine
7. The Avengers
8. Spider-Man
9. Spider-Man 2
10. Iron Man 3

Old 02-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #59
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
In ancient Sweden the viking warriors fought brave with the help of their eastern style of fighting. This meant (amongst a lot of other things) that they´d let their secondary palm grasp the one and only handle and rest the shields weight on the forearm in different positions, as opposed to having two handles where you´ll place you entire forearm inside.
cool, thanks for that insight. you're a better encyclopedia than me.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #60
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

For me:
1. Cap: TFA
2. Avengers
3. Thor
4. Thor 2
5. Iron Man 2
6. Iron Man
7. Iron Man 3

I for one love TFA, simply cause Cap is awesome and cause Bucky+Peggy... and cause Tommy Lee Jones is awesome. Avengers was good, but the more I think about it the worse it seems it is. I like Thor 1 cause of his 'out of place' attitude, and Thor 2 was decent. But it's hard deciding the better between Thor and Iron Man movies; I really like ScarJo in Iron 2.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #61
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
cool, thanks for that insight. you're a better encyclopedia than me.
Thx man but we both know that´s not true!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #62
protocida
Side-Kick

I'm hoping Pierce doesn't turn out to be anyone. I think he'd be a pretty compelling villain on his own.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #63
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

what's great is we keep hearing about the awesome fight sequences, offensive shield, and cap's increased skill set, yet the trailers have barely lifted their skirts in this regard.

i think people are going to be blown away when sitting in the theatre.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #64
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocida View Post
I'm hoping Pierce doesn't turn out to be anyone. I think he'd be a pretty compelling villain on his own.
Agreed; I hope he's not also being controlled by the Red Skull either.

Plus, if Pierce was either the Red Skull or was being controlled by the Red Skull all of this time, then he would have found a way to kill or dispose Steve Rogers back when he was first thawed out.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #65
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Yeah, I am hoping its Pierce as a bad guy, because thats who he is .

Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #66
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
what's great is we keep hearing about the awesome fight sequences, offensive shield, and cap's increased skill set, yet the trailers have barely lifted their skirts in this regard.

For me, the trailers have pulled off that secret to an excellent trailer, where you do a whole lot to convey the tone of the film and the general themes at play, while giving very little actual plot and content away.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #67
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post

Just wait until the main TV spots hit. Its goign to end up being like MOS and to a lesser extent The Avengers where the Main trailers giving away 2% of all the action and the TV spots gives away the Bulk of the action. I hope they main trailers don't show anything becasue i'm going to try to avoid all the TV spots. I want to go into this movie fresh and be blown away while in the moment.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #68
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Brock Rumlow
A highly trained operative on S.H.I.E.L.D.’s counter-terrorism S.T.R.I.K.E team, Rumlow is an excellent soldier and often battles side-by-side with Captain America, for whom he has great respect.
Rumlow as anything approaching a decent human being is just something I can't wrap my head around.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #69
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Agent 13
Agent 13 is a young, attractive S.H.I.E.L.D agent with skills in martial arts and weapons whose mission is to guard Steve Rogers — and not let him know it. She is guided by a strong moral compass and is not afraid to speak out when her ethics are challenged.
It'd be cool as hell if the orders to guard Steve and not let him know about it came from Peggy herself.

Quote:
For the scenes in the film that took place on the ship Lumerian Star, the filmmakers used the Sea Launch Commander, docked in Long Beach, Calif. Although there were space challenges involved to choreograph complex fight sequences in the tight spaces of a real ship, the filmmakers were happy to be able to further ground the film in reality by using an existing vessel.
I'm wondering if that's a typo, and the ship is supposed to be called 'Lemurian Star.' Hell of an easter egg, if so: the Lemurians in Marvel Comics are a branch of Atlanteans who are most noted for creating the Serpent Crown. I was talking about the Serpent Crown just the other day in the AOS thread as a possible means for "The Clairvoyant" to have such extensive telepathy and other mind-control powers.

If the 'Lemurian Star' is supposed to be a Roxxon Oil freighter as well....

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #70
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunBoy View Post
Joe Russo about Sharon Carter:

So it looks as if Sharon will be a part of Marvel movie plans for a while.
Meh.

Those seem like hollow promises.

Less like "We're going to use her in several movies Marvel has in the pipeline" and more like "She's now part of the MCU. We'll see where it goes from here"

Union Jack was introduced in the last movie, but who's using him now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speno94 View Post
I'm actually glad it will be just a 'soft introduction' because it will concentrate on bringing proper closure to the Peggy Carter relationship and Sharon won't be interfering to much in that storyline, but leaves room for sequels for a proper modern day team up with Falcon and Sharon Carter like in the comics.

It's like the same reason why they decided to cut out Mary Jane from TASM2 because she interfered to much with the Peter and Gwen romance, so they left her for the third one and it looks like they are doing the same with Sharon Carter.
The two situations aren't really the same.

Gwen and Peter are still very much involved. Gwen is very much part of Pter's life, and vice versa.

Steve and Peggy were never really involved, and Peggy has since moved on.

All that is left is for Steve to move on, and that's not so much a storyline as much as it is a plot point. It isn't going to be taking up the whole movie, neither is Peggy going to be heavily involved for Sharon to be 'interfering'.

I agree that it makes sense that Steve doesn't jump into a relationship with Sharon, if at least for the sake for propriety.

But at the same time, making Sharon's role only an 'introduction' is all around not a good move. It is also terribly reductive.

Couldn't we have had Sharon as Steve's purely platonic pal who fights on his side, and then have that friendship turn into something more in Cap3?

Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #71
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Given the different approaches they're taking with Rumlow and Sharon, it's really important to reiterate that CA:TWS and the rest of the MCU are different from the comics while still adhering to the general story that the comics have told, but in longer form.

I really love changing up the story, especially with Rumlow. I want to see his decent from a good guy who helps (and, from watching the first trailer, someone who's impressed with Cap's abilities as a super soldier) Cap and Widow together, who then goes really, really dark. I like the idea a lot, especially since the entire movie revolves around Steve not knowing who he can trust, who he can rely on…

Ditto with Sharon. She may have a small part in the movie, but at least from the facts we do know that she's
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
protecting and guarding him; I have a feeling it's for Peggy.
I like it, in that it's a call back to her double agent nature.

It's different from the comics, but intriguing. And it doesn't sound like the story suffers from it at all, at least going by what people on here are saying, the ones who attended screenings already.

Quote:
Less like "We're going to use her in several movies Marvel has in the pipeline" and more like "She's now part of the MCU. We'll see where it goes from here"
Or, maybe, just maybe they will use her more in Cap 3…

Old 02-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #72
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Meh.

Those seem like hollow promises.

Union Jack was introduced in the last movie, but who's using him now?

The two situations aren't really the same.

Gwen and Peter are still very much involved. Gwen is very much part of Pter's life, and vice versa.

Steve and Peggy were never really involved, and Peggy has since moved on.

All that is left is for Steve to move on, and that's not so much a storyline as much as it is a plot point. It isn't going to be taking up the whole movie, neither is Peggy going to be heavily involved for Sharon to be 'interfering'.

I agree that it makes sense that Steve doesn't jump into a relationship with Sharon, if at least for the sake for propriety.

But at the same time, making Sharon's role only an 'introduction' is all around not a good move. It is also terribly reductive.

Couldn't we have had Sharon as Steve's purely platonic pal who fights on his side, and then have that friendship turn into something more in Cap3?
But now you're being terribly reductive to Peggy's role in the MCU. I get that you're upset about the marginalization of Sharon in the movies, but the movies are different from the comics. The comics introduced Sharon before Peggy maybe, but the movies did the opposite, necessitated by the need to tell Steve's origin story from the beginning.

The movies and comics weren't going to be 100% in sync. The movies need to tell the stories that make sense within the cinematic universe, and it makes sense for Steve to still be palpably feeling Peggy's loss. It may also make sense to ease the movie audience into Sharon's introduction as a potential love interest in the future for Steve, to establish her as her own character separate and apart from Peggy.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #73
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Agreed; I hope he's not also being controlled by the Red Skull either.

Plus, if Pierce was either the Red Skull or was being controlled by the Red Skull all of this time, then he would have found a way to kill or dispose Steve Rogers back when he was first thawed out.
not if he thinks that there might be a way to house his own consciousness within Rogers body; after losing his own enhanced form somehow. it's a storyline that has turned up in the comics once or twice.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #74
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
It'd be cool as hell if the orders to guard Steve and not let him know about it came from Peggy herself.

There is no reason to post a guard on Steve Rogers for his protection. He is the Super Soldier; he doesn't need a mere human protecting him. I suspect that Carter was ordered to watch Steve to see where his loyalties lie and monitor his contacts.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #75
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Ditto with Sharon. She may have a small part in the movie, but at least from the facts we do know that she's
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
protecting and guarding him; I have a feeling it's for Peggy.
I like it, in that it's a call back to her double agent nature.
[spoiler]Given it is Captain America, I don't think her protecting him will amount to much.[/quote]

Quote:
It's different from the comics, but intriguing. And it doesn't sound like the story suffers from it at all, at least going by what people on here are saying, the ones who attended screenings already.
Kind of like the MCU doesn't suffer from the lack of Black Panther and Captain Marvel and the Wasp, but people still would like to see them.

Quote:
Or, maybe, just maybe they will use her more in Cap 3…
The operative word is maybe.

Given how this movie returns Bucky, introduces Sam and places Natasha as Steve's closest friend, that grants four "lead" characters in an ostensibly solo movie. I'm not even going to talk about new villains.

And when you consider that Cap3 could very well be the last Cap solo, as it is along with Avengers 3 the last movies Evans is contracted for, and comic book franchises have usually not gone beyond a third installment, it would stand to reason they'd focus on wrapping up with what they had instead of developing newcomers. Might just hook Steve up with Natasha, or plain not give him a new romance and just let him wallow in celibacy.

So how much room will there for Sharon's role to grow, really? They're not going to reduce the role of established characters for the sake of cameo girl from the last movie.

Them using her more in Cap 3 probably means she gets ten minutes of screentime instead of six.

Closed Thread