The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Future Batman Movies

View Poll Results: Which Robin would you like?
No Robin 27 16.36%
Dick Grayson 92 55.76%
Jason Todd 8 4.85%
Tim Drake 23 13.94%
Stephanie Brown 0 0%
Damian Wayne 8 4.85%
I don't know 7 4.24%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #201
Rorschach2012
$

Default Re: Robin or no Robin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Joker has Joker immunity. Batman tried to kill him, but Superman stopped him. Batman then confronted Joker on a helicopter, Joker got shot in the heart and the helicopter crashed, Superman rescued Batman from drowning (he didn't want to surface).

Truth is, Batman did go crazy (moreso) after Jason's death, which gave us the highlights of Bruce deciding to try and kick the crap out of Dick, leaving him crying in the cave and telling him not to return. Jason's death defined Batman comics, and the lack of resolution (it was intended to eventually lead to DKR) plagued the Bat-verse, creating what is knoen as the era of the Bat-jerk/Bat-dick etc. until the 21st Century. It was Tim who pulled him out of it.

Jason was the first to be adopted. Gotham knows exactly (minus the clothes) what happened. Jason discovered his birth mother was still alive, he went ahead to meet her, Bruce came out later, but Sheila was working with Joker, and Joker killed them both.
If Joker knew Jason was Bruce's adopted son, wouldn't it be pretty easy for him to figure out Bruce is Batman?

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #202
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
If Joker knew Jason was Bruce's adopted son, wouldn't it be pretty easy for him to figure out Bruce is Batman?
Joker does know. He just doesn't care.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #203
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

No Robin. No Nightwing.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #204
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Robin.

I'd like to see Dick Grayson get the same care and consideration on the big screen that Nolan gave the character of Batman. As a matter of fact, i THOUGHT that was going to happen with Nolan, and it was teased but...well, you know....

Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #205
Walt Bickle
Side-Kick

I think it would be ballsy to start the movie with Jason established as robin as nightwing will be established in B vs S.
Joker escapes arkham and batman wants robin to retire for his safety telling him tales ( flashbacks )of how ruthless he is.
Then near the end of the film have Joker kill robin.

The mainstream audience will be gobsmacked and blown away.
and the film could be a love note to Batman and Jokers relationship and death in the family and debuting Jason to mainstream audience.

Then they could do a Batman vs Superman 2. Where Batman is gone crazy for revenge and wants to kill Joker, while Superman tries to stop him cos of what Batman would have thought him about not killing in Batman vs Superman 1...

If you wanted to go further you could do Batman 2 after B vs S 2 and have Batgirl being crippled by Joker and then Nightwing kills him. Batman then resussitates joker back to life so dick won't have blood on his hands and then exiles nightwing as a vigilante in Gotham, and that's when he goes to Bludhaven.

and Batman 3 could be set some time after and Tim does his thing and reunites Bruce and dick and becomes the new robin.

this would be an interesting way to go methinks!

Walt Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #206
Infinight888
Side-Kick

I really hope the rumors of Nightwing are wrong. Not because I dislike Nightwing, but I would rather it be something built up to. Here's what I'd like to see:

Batman 1 should introduce us to Batman's world through Dick Grayson's eyes. Dick should only be around 12 or 13, and the movie should really a father-son relationship between the two of them. The movie as a whole should take place over a six-month period, showing Robin becoming a powerful teammate. I think by the end of the movie, though, Dick should realize that he doesn't want to become like Bruce. He doesn't want to wear the mask until that becomes all that's left of him. (Did I mention the primary antagonist should be The Black Mask?) Robin walks away, and Bruce is proud of him for it.

The next year, DC should release a movie about Raven and one other Teen Titan (Cyborg?). Follow those up immediately with Teen Titans. From there, you could have one Teen Titans movie every two years until Robin is an adult. At this point, the Titans could go their separate ways, and you could have a Nightwing movie.

Meanwhile, on the Batman side of things, Batman 2 could introduce Oracle to the team and Batman 3 introduces Jason Todd as the new Robin, only for him to get killed by the Joker in the fourth movie (I'd like to see the Joker introduced and arrested in 3, but then escape to be a primary antagonist in the fourth as well).

That's my dream, anyway.

Infinight888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #207
shauner111
Side-Kick

Im really not a fan of the Teen-Titans concept or giving Batman sidekicks (plural). A bat-family just won't work IMO. Dick, and then maybe referencing Jason's death is enough. Even just Dick growing up to be Nightwing.

I dont think we're getting more than 1 or 2 solo movies with Affleck in the cowl anyway. Probably one. So if they do prequels it'll be a different actor, and i dont think WB would do that for another 8 to 10 years.

Best thing to do, show Grayson in a scene in Batman vs Superman. Maybe the end of Justice League as well, when Bruce returns to the cave after the big mission. He gets rid of the drones, reconciles with Dick, and wants to be Batman in Gotham City again. Puts that old classic suit back on for the solo film. Keeps the high tech suit for the League outings.

Show Grayson helping out Batman, as Nightwing. But do some flashbacks to when Bats was in his prime fighting with Robin. Quickly show the origin flashback with Zucco, the circus, skip to when Dick is like 13 or 14 as Robin.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #208
Rorschach2012
$

If we only get one movie, the most satisfying story to me would be basically a loose adaptation of the Arkham Asylum game. If we only get one movie to set up a whole new Batman universe, I think Joker should feature...along with a host of Batman's other most popular villains. Arkham Asylum introduced multiple villains in a way that didn't really crowd the story. It made sense. Joker takes over Arkham and unleashes Batman's worst enemies. Maybe add some footage at the beginning of the movie establishing Batman's life outside Arkham, but other than that, it's a pretty good model for a solo Batfleck movie. Imagine horror influenced scenes with Killer Croc and Scarecrow.

I really want Robin or Nightwing to feature in the next solo Batman movie though...
How would you guys feel about a movie loosely based around Arkham Asylum + Robin?

Last edited by Rorschach2012; 02-14-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:25 AM   #209
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Im really not a fan of the Teen-Titans concept or giving Batman sidekicks (plural). A bat-family just won't work IMO. Dick, and then maybe referencing Jason's death is enough. Even just Dick growing up to be Nightwing.

I dont think we're getting more than 1 or 2 solo movies with Affleck in the cowl anyway. Probably one. So if they do prequels it'll be a different actor, and i dont think WB would do that for another 8 to 10 years.

Best thing to do, show Grayson in a scene in Batman vs Superman. Maybe the end of Justice League as well, when Bruce returns to the cave after the big mission. He gets rid of the drones, reconciles with Dick, and wants to be Batman in Gotham City again. Puts that old classic suit back on for the solo film. Keeps the high tech suit for the League outings.

Show Grayson helping out Batman, as Nightwing. But do some flashbacks to when Bats was in his prime fighting with Robin. Quickly show the origin flashback with Zucco, the circus, skip to when Dick is like 13 or 14 as Robin.
The way they handled Grayson's origin on BTAS was pretty much perfect. TBH Grayson's origin wasn't even handled badly in Batman Forever either

I can take or leave the Bat family. I mostly just want Dick Grayson. Either as Robin or Nightwing.

I gotta say though I am a fan of the Teen Titans concept. The way they explained the team on Young Justice made sense. They're basically a covert team used by the League to handle smaller scale missions. The main line up on Young Justice was pretty sweet too.

There's apparently a Young Justice live action tv series in the works. my line up would be Robin, Superboy, Cyborg, Kid Flash, Raven, and (Starfire or Cassie Sandsmark)

Colton Haynes' Roy Harper could show up from time to time similarly to the way he did on Young Justice.

But if it's on the cw, we've got to keep the budget in mind.. Nightwing and Arsenal/Speedy are probably locks then. I have no idea what characters they would use... most characters powers would be too expensive probably.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #210
Oswald
Side-Kick

No Robin, it's a relic of other age. It just doesn't fit nowadays.

Oswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #211
Astro13Zombie
Exterminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
No Robin, it's a relic of other age. It just doesn't fit nowadays.

Astro13Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #212
shauner111
Side-Kick

I think Robin, as a 10 year old or 13 year old boy just doesn't work in a live-action movie without it coming off like some comedic Kick-Ass kind of thing. Which only works because they fuse humor with crazy violence for Hit-Girl. You can't do that kind of violence in a batman movie, so all your left with it is goofy ****. The origin can be done, but it would have to be in flashbacks or just one film dedicated to a 10 year old Grayson becoming Robin, then the next film is several years later where he's about to be Nightwing.

This is why Batgirl, etc doesn't work either.

A 10 year old fighting crime is just a ridiculous concept anyway, no matter how you spin it. It works in the comics and animation but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
If we only get one movie, the most satisfying story to me would be basically a loose adaptation of the Arkham Asylum game. If we only get one movie to set up a whole new Batman universe, I think Joker should feature...along with a host of Batman's other most popular villains. Arkham Asylum introduced multiple villains in a way that didn't really crowd the story. It made sense. Joker takes over Arkham and unleashes Batman's worst enemies. Maybe add some footage at the beginning of the movie establishing Batman's life outside Arkham, but other than that, it's a pretty good model for a solo Batfleck movie. Imagine horror influenced scenes with Killer Croc and Scarecrow.

I really want Robin or Nightwing to feature in the next solo Batman movie though...
How would you guys feel about a movie loosely based around Arkham Asylum + Robin?
Id love it.

I was thinking of the same thing myself. Having Robin (Nightwing would fit better) injected into the Arkham story. Maybe he comes back to Gotham and he's the one who aids Batman in the final act.

You can have a world where Batman has met every single one of his rogues. Riddler, Two-Face, Joker, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, Croc, they're all in Arkham. Penguin and Catwoman get referenced or have cameos, on the outside.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #213
Chip Chipperson
Dr. Pavel I'm CIA

Quote:

love this idea, hope we get something similar to this in a solo bat film.

BELIEVE IN THE FLECK.
Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #214
Infinight888
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think Robin, as a 10 year old or 13 year old boy just doesn't work in a live-action movie without it coming off like some comedic Kick-Ass kind of thing. Which only works because they fuse humor with crazy violence for Hit-Girl. You can't do that kind of violence in a batman movie, so all your left with it is goofy ****.
Why does Robin have to be comedic? Why couldn't we have a serious child hero? Hitgirl was certainly comedic, but that doesn't mean she needed to be. The entire Harry Potter franchise was children fighting bad guys, and never resorted to using graphic violence for comedy. Granted, they didn't fight physically, but still. And while Rue in the Hunger Games wasn't fighting much, she still proved that you could give children serious roles in dark shows.

Although it ultimately depends on the skill of the directors and actors, I think a 12/13-year-old Robin could be pulled off.

Infinight888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #215
Rorschach2012
$

12-13 year old Robin is way too young. he should be 16-20

Old 02-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #216
BLobo
Banned User

The whole idea of Batman having a teenager fighting alongside him is stupid.

BLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #217
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinight888 View Post
Why does Robin have to be comedic? Why couldn't we have a serious child hero? Hitgirl was certainly comedic, but that doesn't mean she needed to be. The entire Harry Potter franchise was children fighting bad guys, and never resorted to using graphic violence for comedy. Granted, they didn't fight physically, but still. And while Rue in the Hunger Games wasn't fighting much, she still proved that you could give children serious roles in dark shows.

Although it ultimately depends on the skill of the directors and actors, I think a 12/13-year-old Robin could be pulled off.
Because it's ridiculous to begin with, having a 10 year old, 12 year old, heck even a 14 year old crime-fighter. No matter how serious you make him when he's kicking ass, it's still silly and will come off either goofy or just some brat trying to be all tough. You can give Grayson a serious role, especially his interactions with Bruce in private. But once he's Robin it all goes out the window. That's my opinion on it. It's much easier to translate into a cartoon.

It's best to stick with a young adult Nightwing.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #218
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLobo View Post
The whole idea of Batman having a teenager fighting alongside him is stupid.
Thank you.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #219
BLobo
Banned User

And lets not forget why Robin was created in the first place. Not for coherent reasons, thats for sure.

BLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #220
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

The whole idea of a billionaire who scrambles rooftops preying on the poor and homeless of a city and trying to punch away crime instead of donating his fortune to philanthropic gestures is stupid.

Recruiting impressionable teenagers to his cause seems pretty par for the course.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #221
Oswald
Side-Kick

Quote:
The whole idea of a billionaire who scrambles rooftops preying on the poor and homeless of a city and trying to punch away crime instead of donating his fortune to philanthropic gestures is stupid.

Recruiting impressionable teenagers to his cause seems pretty par for the course.
Robin was created for commercial reasons and then has been assimilated to Batman's mythos, but he's dispensable: how many stories have you seen with Robin helping Batman in his adventures? Generally writers don't like him, he's a bother to them and to the own Batman. The one reason I see for his existence is being part of Bruce Wayne's psychosis (he represents the innocent kid Bruce was the night his parents were murdered, in opposition of Batman, the man who should've avoided the crime), and this is a dark reason that puts Batman still nearer the villain side... but anyway, Robin is a nuisance.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #222
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Robin was created for commercial reasons
Which is different to Batman, how?

Quote:
and then has been assimilated to Batman's mythos, but he's dispensable: how many stories have you seen with Robin helping Batman in his adventures?
Literally hundreds.

Quote:
Generally writers don't like him
[citation needed]

Quote:
he's a bother to them and to the own Batman.
Opinion masquerading as fact.

Quote:
The one reason I see for his existence is being part of Bruce Wayne's psychosis (he represents the innocent kid Bruce was the night his parents were murdered, in opposition of Batman, the man who should've avoided the crime), and this is a dark reason that puts Batman still nearer the villain side...
Wow! Robin has thematic reasoning to his character, as a reflection to Bruce himself, which by extension makes him less pointless than most of the characters in the universe.

Quote:
but anyway, Robin is a nuisance.
Opinion masquerading as fact.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #223
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Batman was still created as a dark/serious character and was quickly made into one with a tragic past. Robin was brought in just so Batman can have a lighter buddy to talk to, for kids to get into it more. He was a gimmick.

Of course he developed into something more over the years.

Quote:
Wow! Robin has thematic reasoning to his character, as a reflection to Bruce himself, which by extension makes him less pointless than most of the characters in the universe.
He does, but the idea of him suiting up (in that suit) at that age, is still ridiculous. The Robin bits have always been hokey while the private Dick Grayson-Bruce Wayne moments have the potential to be serious and different. Sometimes they are.

I think it lightens up the mood too much for Batman, it distracts from the Gordon-Batman team/relationship that i love so much.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #224
Oswald
Side-Kick

Quote:
As Shauner said Robin was introduced to attract kids and teenagers and make the world of Batman less dark, not for dramatic coherence. With the years some layers of depth have been added, but in the basis isn't essential to the Batman mythos.

Quote:
Literally hundreds.
And sure all them are awful

Quote:
Yeah, Robin's a reflection of Bruce himself, but I simply can't see how to make it work in a contemporary reboot. Nor him, nor Batgirl, nor any of the members of the Bat-family.

Maybe the Robin's concept would work if he's a bit older (20 years, for example), doesn't suit a ridiculous costume and helps Batman from the distance. He can be the brother of Barbara Gordon, who would be just Oracle after being paralyzed by the Joker (Batgirl is an horrible character, even worst than Robin). This is the one possible way I see in a post-Nolan Batman movie.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #225
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Batman was still created as a dark/serious character and was quickly made into one with a tragic past. Robin was brought in just so Batman can have a lighter buddy to talk to, for kids to get into it more. He was a gimmick.
You missed the point, he said Robin was created for commercial reasons, as if Batman were any different.

Robin was created because Batman was failing to sell. Batman was created because Detective Comics, Inc. wanted another character as popular as Superman (who for around a year, was insanely popular). That's Batman's sole reason for existing, "Superman without powers" that's why his original costume was red and blue (but reversed colours to Superman, as well as reversed hair colour).

Quote:
Of course he developed into something more over the years.
As have all the characters.

Quote:
He does, but the idea of him suiting up (in that suit) at that age, is still ridiculous. The Robin bits have always been hokey while the private Dick Grayson-Bruce Wayne moments have the potential to be serious and different. Sometimes they are.
Both DC Comics and I agree with you, for what it's worth. A pre-teen, in live action, would look ridiculous.

Quote:
I think it lightens up the mood too much for Batman, it distracts from the Gordon-Batman team/relationship that i love so much.
You're welcome to. However, you're also not spouting your opinion as fact and claiming that "most writers hate Robin".

Quote:
As Shauner said Robin was introduced to attract kids and teenagers and make the world of Batman less dark, not for dramatic coherence. With the years some layers of depth have been added, but in the basis isn't essential to the Batman mythos.
Literally the only thing essential to Batman is he is a man dressed in a Bat-Motif.

Quote:
And sure all them are awful
Not nearly as much as you, dear .

Quote:
Yeah, Robin's a reflection of Bruce himself, but I simply can't see how to make it work in a contemporary reboot. Nor him, nor Batgirl, nor any of the members of the Bat-family.
Your imagination is clearly defective, bro. Trade it in for a new one.

Quote:
Maybe the Robin's concept would work if he's a bit older (20 years, for example), doesn't suit a ridiculous costume and helps Batman from the distance. He can be the brother of Barbara Gordon, who would be just Oracle after being paralyzed by the Joker (Batgirl is an horrible character, even worst than Robin). This is the one possible way I see in a post-Nolan Batman movie.
If you ever actually decide to think "Hey! I'll read what I'm criticising!". I'll recommend to you Nightwing #0, as well as Batman & Robin Annual #2, buy them, pirate them, whatever. I won't spoil it from here, but you'll actually be pleasantly surprised.

As for Barbara as Batgirl, I always preferred her career to be very "flash in the pan" maybe a year, perhaps stretched to a couple if you subscribe to the 15 year Batman career. I always preferred her as Oracle too.

Last edited by Llama_Shepherd; 02-15-2014 at 11:12 AM.