The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #726
Daywalker89
In Zion I await my spirit

Default Re: What are your complaints? What would you do differently? *SPOILERS* - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
WOW. This video does an amazing job decontructing the popular criticisms of the movie. I love how he demonstrates that Superman actually SAVED more people in Man of Steel than Superman: The Movie, because people LOVE to go on and on and on about how he saved zero people in Mos. Smh

I mean, I respect everyone's opinions but I think the guy who made this video summed it up perfectly by comparing MoS to food. It is a movie that is well cooked but not to everyone's taste.

I was grinning throughout the entire video, it really made my day

" I have spent my whole life lookin' for that thing that killed my mother, and made me what I am. And every time I take one of those monsters out, I get a little piece of that life back. So don't you tell me about forgetting "
Daywalker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #727
eatup
Side-Kick

Default Re: What are your complaints? What would you do differently? *SPOILERS* - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
Tried not to comment on your posts but I just can't take your criticisms seriously from a movie you haven't watched. Your basing your beliefs on clips and other peoples opinions whether or not a flim is bad to you??...I really don't see how people even have conversations with you on anything you post about MOS or any movie you bring up that you haven't watched lol...smh
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is: We definitely need a new(-er) Superman reboot...

eatup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #728
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatup View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is: We definitely need a new(-er) Superman reboot...
I think you're wrong man. Based on what? I haven't read your posts, just what other posters say about you being wrong. That's how it works, right?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #729
eatup
Side-Kick

Shaky camera. Bad CGI. Terrible plot. Plus artistic camera direction got a yawn from me on Youtube... Yes, I really need to see MoS!

Last edited by eatup; 02-15-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #730
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Shaky camera. Bad CGI. Terrible plot. Plus artistic camera direction got a yawn from me on Youtube... Yes, I really need to see MoS!
Your critics say you're wrong, so I have to believe them.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #731
eatup
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Your critics say you're wrong, so I have to believe them.
Not critics. That's what I saw on Youtube. Plus, Nolan made Batman seem like he's just a rich kid with cool gadgets (ie. anybody in Gotham with a deep enough wallet could become Batman)... If that's how Batman was in BB/TDK(-R), ie. an anybody-billionaire-viligilante, what makes you think Man of Steel wasn't similarly treated, ie. an anybody-Kryptonian who's only advantage over another anybody-Kryptonian is that he had more time to develop his powers, instead of the-one-and-only Superman....

(Still waiting for the Batman reboot where only Bruce Wayne can become The Batman...)

Last edited by eatup; 02-15-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #732
Wooden Routh
Banned User

Quote:
Why would someone spend so much time on a forum about a film he claims he'll never see? Just to repeatedly state he won't see the film, all the while making criticisms against said film he says he'll never see?

I have a STRONG feeling you have seen the film. More than once.

Wooden Routh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #733
eatup
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Routh View Post
Why would someone spend so much time on a forum about a film he claims he'll never see? Just to repeatedly state he won't see the film, all the while making criticisms against said film he says he'll never see?

I have a STRONG feeling you have seen the film. More than once.
I've seen maybe 5 mins total footage max of MoS (beside the trailers) to date... Snyder/Nolan would be so lucky if this goes up to 15 mins anytime in the foreseable future...

Old 02-16-2014, 01:00 AM   #734
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've seen maybe 5 mins total footage max of MoS (beside the trailers) to date... Snyder/Nolan would be so lucky if this goes up to 15 mins anytime in the foreseable future...
Dude, with respect, I suspect that Snyder and Nolan probably won't lose a lot of sleep about how much of MOS you watch, or don't watch.
In fact, you're doing them a favour by prolonging the discussion about it, you know the old any publicity is good publicity. If you really want to dismiss MOS you might consider stopping posting about it or replying to the responses to your posts.

I don't agree with him often, but Senator Pleasury is correct in pointing out (rather sarcastically) the underlying flaw in stating your opinions about it.

Anyway, I still agree with you on Speed Racer. Great film, lots of fun, a bit of an acid trip, but still a lot of fun. And of course it has the immortal line
" Ninja ? More of a nan-ja ! Terrible what passes for ninja these days."

Okay back to MOS, and the topic of this thread,

This is a nitpick, well actually more of an observation really.

- When Kal smashes open the side of Black Zero, during his final conversation with Jor El, he wouldn't be able to hear what Jor El was saying because of the rush of air out into space, and once the air was gone, sound doesn't travel in a vaccum.

Of course, given that the Kryptonian's technology was so advanced the hologram could have been communicating using other means than just sound (seeing as its a download of Jor El's mind, it could be some form of telepathy ?) Anyway, who cares. It's an opportunity for him to say that
great line "You can save all of them."
Technically what would have made more sense would have been for Jor El to tell Kal to look thru the hull (using his x-ray vision) then say the line, and then have Kal smash through it, into his Jesus-flight-pose.

Did that little inconsistency diminish the scene one iota ?????
IMO, not one bit. Still worked for me.

peace out super fans

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #735
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

If you're gonna nitpick about that, you should wonder why Jor-El didn't tell Clark to destroy the World Engine when he was aboard.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #736
eatup
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Dude, with respect, I suspect that Snyder and Nolan probably won't lose a lot of sleep about how much of MOS you watch, or don't watch.
In fact, you're doing them a favour by prolonging the discussion about it, you know the old any publicity is good publicity. If you really want to dismiss MOS you might consider stopping posting about it or replying to the responses to your posts.

I don't agree with him often, but Senator Pleasury is correct in pointing out (rather sarcastically) the underlying flaw in stating your opinions about it.

Anyway, I still agree with you on Speed Racer. Great film, lots of fun, a bit of an acid trip, but still a lot of fun. And of course it has the immortal line
" Ninja ? More of a nan-ja ! Terrible what passes for ninja these days."

Okay back to MOS, and the topic of this thread,

This is a nitpick, well actually more of an observation really.

- When Kal smashes open the side of Black Zero, during his final conversation with Jor El, he wouldn't be able to hear what Jor El was saying because of the rush of air out into space, and once the air was gone, sound doesn't travel in a vaccum.

Of course, given that the Kryptonian's technology was so advanced the hologram could have been communicating using other means than just sound (seeing as its a download of Jor El's mind, it could be some form of telepathy ?) Anyway, who cares. It's an opportunity for him to say that
great line "You can save all of them."
Technically what would have made more sense would have been for Jor El to tell Kal to look thru the hull (using his x-ray vision) then say the line, and then have Kal smash through it, into his Jesus-flight-pose.

Did that little inconsistency diminish the scene one iota ?????
IMO, not one bit. Still worked for me.

peace out super fans
Lol, I was under the impression Free Speech actually exists. Anyways, as I said earlier, I am in no way trying to dismiss MoS. I'm just indifferent towards it... And how can you even compare Speed Racer to MoS? SR (no pun intended) isn't even in the same league...

Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #737
Superman_200
Superman

I for one wanted Kryptonians that did not speak English.

English is not even the official language in the U.S., so I don't know why these aliens were speaking English.

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #738
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

English isn't an official language in the US, because the US branch of English developed there. English isn't the official language of the UK either, and that's where it was invented.

I guess the kryptonians must have learned English along the way to Earth.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #739
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
English isn't an official language in the US, because the US branch of English developed there. English isn't the official language of the UK either, and that's where it was invented.

I guess the kryptonians must have learned English along the way to Earth.
I don't like the Kryptonians speaking it. It would be one thing if it was implied that they traveled to Earth and adopted English, but it really is not. We all know that the reason they speak it is because it was easier to do that than film it in an invented language that sounds good and then caption it.

If we went with the assumption though they learned English and all these guys use English from traveling, it would make me wonder why they chose English as the language they will speak in their planet of engineered people when they are so proud of their heritage and why chose English anyway? Chinese is more popular.

If you have the technology to travel to other planets, obviously you already at least speak. So they should have already had a language by the time they visited Earth. Why adopt English? No reason other than that it is easier to script.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #740
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not critics. That's what I saw on Youtube. Plus, Nolan made Batman seem like he's just a rich kid with cool gadgets (ie. anybody in Gotham with a deep enough wallet could become Batman)... If that's how Batman was in BB/TDK(-R), ie. an anybody-billionaire-viligilante, what makes you think Man of Steel wasn't similarly treated, ie. an anybody-Kryptonian who's only advantage over another anybody-Kryptonian is that he had more time to develop his powers, instead of the-one-and-only Superman....

(Still waiting for the Batman reboot where only Bruce Wayne can become The Batman...)

Lmao. This post. What kind of sense does this make.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #741
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post

English is not even the official language in the U.S., so I don't know why these aliens were speaking English.
It would not have the same dramatic effect if it was another language. Audience would be to busy to decipher the language as opposed to trying to soak everything in. Especially with superheroes drawing kids in.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #742
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
It would not have the same dramatic effect if it was another language. Audience would be to busy to decipher the language as opposed to trying to soak everything in. Especially with superheroes drawing kids in.
I know, it would have also been harder to script but I would have liked it because I think in the long run in a few years when those same kids see that movie again they wouldn't be joking about it saying how everyone even in Kryton speaks English blah blah blah you know? I guess it would depend on what your goal is, if it is to take all things into consideration and try and make one of those amazing movies that is talked about for years, etc., or if you want a fun action adventure to get a franchise started, etc.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #743
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know, it would have also been harder to script but I would have liked it because I think in the long run in a few years when those same kids see that movie again they wouldn't be joking about it saying how everyone even in Kryton speaks English blah blah blah you know? I guess it would depend on what your goal is, if it is to take all things into consideration and try and make one of those amazing movies that is talked about for years, etc., or if you want a fun action adventure to get a franchise started, etc.
I guess but MOS wouldn't be the only film where English is spoken in a foreign planet.

Plenty of films are done where it's a olden time story taken place in a foreign country where the characters speak olden English.

And the Donner films and Timm's cartoons had Kryptonians speak English. It's just how it is.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #744
eatup
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
Lmao. This post. What kind of sense does this make.
And am I to suppose your posts aren't also incoherent ramblings?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #745
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
If you're gonna nitpick about that, you should wonder why Jor-El didn't tell Clark to destroy the World Engine when he was aboard.
Actually, no need to nitpick about that one, because my original nitpick was about an obvious violation of natural laws, as in sound doesn't travel in a vaccum, which really doesn't have much to do with the story.

And, as I mentioned in my original post, it's easily explained, maybe you must have missed the bit where I mentioned it didn't diminish the story, and was more of an observation.

Now your comment about the world engine is different, as it's a story nitpick.

There are some of very good reasons that Jor El doesn't mention it, mostly to do with time being very short and other issues being rather pressing.

For starters, Zod hadn't deployed it yet ( and that would have wiped out a fair slice of the movie, like Superman's whole wiping out the World Engine scene, which I really liked ).

Second, Clark/Kal had a pressing problem, what with having to save Lois Lane from re-entry, so he was busy.

And then he got busy trying saving his mom, and scrapping it out with Faora and Nam EK, so he couldn't have taken time out to have a catch up with Jor El then.

So really, there wasn't time and it wouldn't have fit with the story.

And, by saying "You can save them all" ghost-AI-Jor El is trusting that Kal will know what to do, he's got a lot of faith in his son. Personally, I like that explanation best.

cheers.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #746
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:

This is just IMO, but when I saw Thor TDW, most of Malekith's lines (in the first half of the flim) were in Elvish for some reason that really diminished their impact for me.
Christopher Eccleston is a very good actor and can be pretty intimidating, but the Elvish didn't do much to convey his meaning. Really, they should have just stuck with English.

Sometimes having made up languages in a movie really do a lot to establish the other-worldly-ness of the setting (like in Lord of the Rings), and Star Wars. Who knows it might have worked in MOS, but I just didn't think it was necessary.

But really, who cares ? Well okay, you did, and hey you're entitled to your opinion, no disrespect there.

Personally, it worked for me. I actually preferred that the Kryptonians spoke English, it just made the dialogue flow better. Besides, what'd be the point of having a quality actor like Russell Crowe delivering lines, if they were just gibberish ?

Hell, the Asgardians speak English, The Chitauri spoke English, in Superman TM kryptonians spoke English, in that awful Green Lantern film the Guardians of Oa, Kilowog and Sinestro all spoke English.

Yeah, there are lots of technical explanations for Zod and co speaking English, universal translators, advanced technology blah blah blah, it's like all the aliens in Doctor Who speak English, so really, it's nothing new.

But this is just IMO, if you didn't like it, I think it's a fair criticism, but personally, didn't think it was a problem.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #747
Panthro
Our Savior Hellboy

I would've toned down some of the language used by young Pete in the flashback to the bus crashing and removed any and all use of the word "freak" since I'm so sick and tired of hearing that word in every superhero film - or every other superhero film.

And I would've removed the shot of Superman floating in the Crucifix pose, since I'm not a big fan of the "Space Jesus" angle as some call it.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #748
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
I would've toned down some of the language used by young Pete in the flashback to the bus crashing and removed any and all use of the word "freak" since I'm so sick and tired of hearing that word in every superhero film - or every other superhero film.

And I would've removed the shot of Superman floating in the Crucifix pose, since I'm not a big fan of the "Space Jesus" angle as some call it.
True, I would have probably removed the scene where he goes and asks a priest for advice as well. That should have been something he decided with the help of his mother. He could have revealed to her that he felt guilty he did not save his father, etc. and turn it into an emotional scene. But him asking a priest for advice who we don't see anywhere else in the movie just seemed a bit out of place.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #749
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I found the priest scene to be both refreshing and appropriate.

(I'm atheist btw).

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #750
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
I found the priest scene to be both refreshing and appropriate.

(I'm atheist btw).
I'm an atheist too, but I didn't particularly care for it. I like the thought that since he does come from another world he would have a more open mind to the possibility that there are no gods. He has not explored other worlds much other than what his father told him on the ship; however, he has traveled the world apparently. But then again he is raised in Kansas by what you would imagine would be 2 conservative farmers.