The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Old 02-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #201
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Default Re: The Official Cell Phone Junkies Thread - Part 2

Just a heads up for AT&T customers, they just redid their plans. I just called them and changed mine, 3 smartphone lines, and saved about $50/month!!! Pays to check up on these things from time to time.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:29 AM   #202
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

To add to that it seems that there is a way for us grandfathered into Unlimited Data on Verizon to keep it at the discounted 2-year contract without adding a line. You have to do it through Best Buy Mobile online and select "keep current plan." When you get the phone via mail, just insert your current SIM card instead of the new one, and voila...unlimited still in tact.

So far it's worked for people, but YMMV and make sure to take screen shots of the data part so if they do change it, you can provide proof that you were given the option.

I'm hyped to try it out, and hopefully it's still in effect in two months when the new phones are announced. I've been sitting on my upgrade for the last since nothing wowed me. I hope to change that this year because my Bionic is really showing its age.

EDIT:
Also, Ubuntu is shaping up to have a cool thing going with being a true cross-platform OS. Check it out it's pretty interesting.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Ubunt...and-PC_id52554

Quote:
Ubuntu convergence shown with the same app running on a phone, tablet, and PC

One of the most compelling visions for the future of computing is in the idea of convergence - the idea that there should be one operating system that spans all devices. Some companies are taking a slow road to convergence (Microsoft/Google), and some companies don't believe that this is the way forward at all (Apple). Canonical is the one company going all out on convergence with Ubuntu, and we're starting to see exactly how that will work.

The basic idea for Ubuntu is that the OS itself will be the same on your phone, tablet, PC, and TV; and, the apps that run will be the same as well and the design will adapt to the display being used. This makes a developer's job easier, because you write an app once and it will run onbmulitple devices. And, it makes the experience better for users because you don't have to set up the same app multiple times or worry about transferring app data, because it's all the same app. We are seeing similar functionality with Windows 8 right now in the app space, but the systems themselves are still separate.

Canonical's Community Manager Jono Bacon has released a new video showing off this convergence with a community-made Reddit app called Karma Machine. Bacon shows the app running on a phone, tablet, and Ubuntu PC and how the UI will adapt to each display. This functionality looks pretty compelling, especially keeping in mind the plans to allow you to dock your mobile Ubuntu device to a monitor and keyboard and have it serve as a full Ubuntu PC. In this case, when you dock your phone, any apps open would simply adapt to the new display, while underneath they are still running the same code in the same OS. Pretty impressive stuff.

Although, it should be noted that while Canonical will have the phone and tablet system ready to go with Ubuntu 14.04 in April, and it will be releasing the Ubuntu Software Centre for mobile devices when handsets start hitting the market, converged apps will not be coming at the same time. Converged apps rely on the new Mir display server and Unity 8 UI in order to work, but both of those pieces have been delayed and won't be part of Ubuntu 14.04. More likely, we'll see those updates and proper converged apps in Ubuntu 14.10 in October.

Last edited by the dmg; 02-15-2014 at 12:44 AM.
the dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:47 AM   #203
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

DogManBriscoe!

I am really interested in Ubuntu Touch and had hoped Canonical's Kickstarter for the Ubuntu Edge would have worked out.

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:25 AM   #204
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Okay I flove my Lumia 920, I was lucky enough to have one that had no problems with it, but my love is being tested with the new Nokia Lumia Icon (or the global equivalent) and Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. They both look so good and feature pretty big cameras, although I've read the Icon's is better. If I had to upgrade I'm sort of leaning towards the Z1 just to try out Android KitKat, but Lumia Icon will most likely get WP 8.1 and I love the Windows ecosystem. Decisions, decisions...

Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #205
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
DogManBriscoe!
It's you!!!!!
Quote:
I am really interested in Ubuntu Touch and had hoped Canonical's Kickstarter for the Ubuntu Edge would have worked out.
I've only scratched the surface with Ubuntu in general on PC, but that video shows a really forward mindset with making a streamlined OS work for different ecosystems.

Quote:
Okay I flove my Lumia 920, I was lucky enough to have one that had no problems with it, but my love is being tested with the new Nokia Lumia Icon (or the global equivalent) and Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. They both look so good and feature pretty big cameras, although I've read the Icon's is better. If I had to upgrade I'm sort of leaning towards the Z1 just to try out Android KitKat, but Lumia Icon will most likely get WP 8.1 and I love the Windows ecosystem. Decisions, decisions...

The Lumia Icon is a sweet looking phone and the Z1 Compact to me is a little too late since new phones are going to be rolling out soon. I just hope one of these phones wow me soon.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #206
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

It's official Nokia X has been confirmed:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia...hone_id52709#6-

Quote:
The Nokia X has been leaking out extensively over the last few weeks, and the more we learned about it, the more we understood that Nokia’s first Android smartphone would be more of an Asha replacement, an affordable gadget, rather than a higher-end device that would compete with devices the ranks of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One.

Now, what looks like an official press image of the Nokia X has leaked out and it comes from the web’s leaker-in-chief @evleaks. It confirms that Nokia X will indeed be the official name of the handset that we were used to referring to as ‘Nokia Normandy’ (Normandy is said to be the internal codename for the device). You can clearly see that the Nokia X will indeed be a colorful device with green being at least one of its colors.

We have earlier seen leaked information about the Nokia X saying it’d come with a 4-inch screen and the run on Android masked with an interface that is a mixture of Asha and Windows Phone’s tiles. The rest is a bit controversial. Rumors diverge on some specs like the camera that could be either a 3- or a 5-megapixel one, as well as on the Android version (some say that it’d come with KitKat that seems logical, and others have suggested it’d run on the dated Android 4.1 Jelly Bean).

At least, now, it seems we’ve settled on the name. For all the rest, we’ll update you in just a few days - the Nokia X should finally get officially unveiled there.

Last edited by LibidoLoca; 02-17-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #207
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So It's Confirmed: Samsung Galaxy S5 Will Have Fingerprint Scanner... in the Home Button

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Repor...button_id52715

Quote:
Whether you find it useful or not, it looks like a fingerprint scanner will be among the new features of the long-rumored Samsung Galaxy S5. We previously heard that the S5’s fingerprint scanner would be embedded into its display. SamMobile today is reporting that this isn’t true.

According to the website, the Galaxy S5 will have a fingerprint sensor built in its home button. Just like Apple’s iPhone 5S, you may think. Well, yes and no.

SamMobile says that the sensor is a swipe-type one, requiring you to swipe your finger pad from base to tip against the home button. Reportedly, the fingerprint scanner is “sensitive to moisture”, hence it won’t work if your finger is wet. If this is true, the moisture sensitivity could be a nuisance at times.

It’s said that Samsung has integrated various fingerprint scanning-related features into the Galaxy S5’s OS (Android 4.4 KitKat). Apparently, users will be able to register up to 8 fingerprints, and at least one of them must have the purpose of unlocking the smartphone. There will be a new Private Mode, including a Personal Folder, accessible either by fingerprint authentication, or with a PIN. Among other things, your fingerprint will be used to verify tour Samsung account.

SamMobile mentions that these features have been “confirmed” by an insider. The website also reports that the Galaxy S5 will not have on-screen buttons. Naturally, we can't be sure that this info is accurate. Not yet.

We're now only a week away from the start of Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona, where Samsung is expected to officially announce its next-generation flagship smartphone. Until then, here is all we know about the Samsung Galaxy S5 (based on rumors, of course).
This sounds familiar, but I don't know why...

Old 02-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #208
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

BlackBerry's New Handset, The Z3 Leaks!

http://www.phonearena.com/news/All-a...rry-Z3_id52712

Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #209
ComicChick
Carpe DIEM r.i.p.
SHH! Global Moderator

do they make cell phones that are cell phones anymore

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall

The Official Nov/Dec Fan Art Contest
ComicChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #210
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Are you talking about a phone that you dial a number and talk to the person on the other end?

No, I don't think so.

Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #211
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I use my smart phone that has an app that let's me order a pizza. Try doing that with a regular phone.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 AM   #212
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I use my smart phone that has an app that let's me order a pizza. Try doing that with a regular phone.
The pizza places around here doesn't even do home delivery so that app would not work for me anyway

But even if they did, I could just use a regular phone and just call the pizza place.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #213
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Guys I need your help. My mom is buying a new cellphone and wants to try out a smartphone. Her only requirements is that it be burgundy and be small with no steep learning curve on how to use it. I showed her different phones, but the one that hits her both in looks and price tag is a red Samsung Galaxy Ace 3. I've scoured the interwebz in defeat as I cannot for the life of me find the damn thing in red. I even Google'd and Bing'd it several times only to have images and tech-blogs confirm that it does come in red or wine red, but still nothing in shopping results. Help...

Old 02-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #214
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

You can stalk the Swappa listing and hope someone posts a red one. If color is that important, there's always the Moto X but that's probably more than you want to spend. I'd work on convincing your mom to ditch the color requirement.

Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:33 AM   #215
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Well I did show her the Moto G with the red shell, but the red wasn't dark enough.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #216
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

Have you shown her the Xperia SP?? Directly from Sony's site. It's compact and the red is like a burgundy/merlot. Pretty eye catching. You can get it for around 200$ online.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:57 AM   #217
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Why thank you! I showed her the Xperia L which had a similar shade of red, but was apprehensive of showing the SP due to the sheer size. She has some aversion to square phones, though. It's one of the reasons she dislikes my Lumia.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:01 AM   #218
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why thank you! I showed her the Xperia L which had a similar shade of red, but was apprehensive of showing the SP due to the sheer size. She has some aversion to square phones, though. It's one of the reasons she dislikes my Lumia.
You have the Lumia 920 right? I am in love w/ that design (the nokia lumia on the bottom of the phone is nifty) I think i might have to upgrade mine. It's since been sitting in the shelf since my work sent me a Note 3. I'm leaning towards the Icon.

Hopefully you find something your mom likes, it was tough getting a phone for my mom as well, i ended getting her a 920 in white. She still loves it!

Old 02-19-2014, 02:07 AM   #219
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Yep Black with a red case, I prefer a matte over glossy. The Icon seems like a great choice, but watch out about not having Glance support. Nokia did say it was coming, but not when exactly. The Icon is available through the Microsoft Store and you can get a free Qi Charger until March I believe. It seems to be made similar to the Lumia 925, so a metal frame with a polycarbonate back. I'm anxiously awaiting for the WP 8.1 devices, but if you want to pull the trigger go on ahead cause it's still a great device and most likely getting that update as well.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:10 AM   #220
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yep Black with a red case, I prefer a matte over glossy. The Icon seems like a great choice, but watch out about not having Glance support. Nokia did say it was coming, but not when exactly. The Icon is available through the Microsoft Store and you can get a free Qi Charger until March I believe. It seems to be made similar to the Lumia 925, so a metal frame with a polycarbonate back. I'm anxiously awaiting for the WP 8.1 devices, but if you want to pull the trigger go on ahead cause it's still a great device and most likely getting that update as well.
You read my mind! I'm TRYING to hold out for a WP 8.1 device, preferably a Microsoft Lumia/Surface? Phone (one can dream right??) I do miss Windows Phone

Old 02-19-2014, 02:17 AM   #221
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

I want to say Microsoft is going to start using Lumia for smartphones and Surface for tablets, but it's Microsoft.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:23 AM   #222
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

I've always wanted something similar to this..

As Microsoft's first Windows Phone. Obviously more screen and less bezel. Thinner. W/ a screen size of 4.7 to 5" 1080p. Obviously WP 8.1 w/ a Pureview camera. Oh and on screen buttons. The Zune HD imo has been such a underrated piece of tech, i have always loved the design.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:34 AM   #223
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

On screen buttons are confirmed through WP 8.1, but I also heard the next Lumia may be 1440p display.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #224
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So my mom said no to the Xperia SP, but I showed her the raspberry back of the Moto X and she's interested. Unfortunately, Moto can only make the back that color not the front. She won't like that. The SG3 mini is looking pretty good right now for her.

Also for anyone on Verizon, the Lumia Icon is now available to order:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/d...kia-lumia-icon

I WANT IT!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #225
Nightwing
The Next Batman

I found my Nokia 3310 in the cupboard after almost a decade...still had 2 bars of battery. True story

Avatar requests? PM me...I'll see what I can do.

Show some support to a budding writer

Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote