Aaaaannnd finally, introducing Hera:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/20/st...ll-characters/

Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #377
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Default Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Mandalorians do have a strong warrior tradition. However, they're also known for being quite diverse to. Personality-wise, tactically, their hobbies, and so on. They vary quite a bit.
oh. then Sabine should fit right in!!

I don't see the problem.........

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #378
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I think it would have been more authentically Mandalorian if she tagged using the blood of her enemies, but this is a kid's show, so, graffiti an acceptable substitute.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #379
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

I'm just happy to be looking at a new cast of characters. For now.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #380
ares834
Side-Kick

I gotta say I am impressed by how diverse the group is. And Kanan in particular looks like a great character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven X View Post
oh. then Sabine should fit right in!!

I don't see the problem.........
I just have a hard time seeing Mandalorians going around painting graffiti on walls. Mandalorians are efficient and honor bound not merely a group of thugs.

Still, it's not a big problem, especially since the EU will likely be purged and the Clone Wars has already radically changed Mandalorians.

Last edited by ares834; 02-20-2014 at 01:43 PM.
ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #381
James
Built from Lego

I like that they're not lumping an entire race with one trait. Alien races should (in my opinion) be just as diverse as humans and human culture. Some Mandalorians are all about being warriors, maybe others like knitting. I'm glad to see some variety.

One thing I'm really excited to learn is all the new character's motives for being part of the Rebellion.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #382
ares834
Side-Kick

I'd agree but in the EU Mandalorians aren't an alien race (at least not during this time period) rather they are a group of warriors from various species. It's a warrior culture pure and simple, quite similar to the Spartans.

But like I said, the Clone Wars pretty much revamped them turning them into pacifists. And honestly, I've never been the biggest fan of Mandos so it didn't bother me all that much.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #383
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
I'd agree but in the EU Mandalorians aren't an alien race (at least not during this time period) rather they are a group of warriors from various species. It's a warrior culture pure and simple, quite similar to the Spartans.

But like I said, the Clone Wars pretty much revamped them turning them into pacifists. And honestly, I've never been the biggest fan of Mandos so it didn't bother me all that much.

Huh, interesting! I just checked Wookiepedia and I didn't realize Mandalorian referred to a multi-species culture. I always assumed it was a specific race of people originating from one planet -interesting!

Perhaps Sabine could be described as part of a 'sub culture' as it were. Variances within cultures are totally feasible.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #384
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

btw.....what species was Ahsoka??

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #385
James
Built from Lego

Togruta.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #386
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

thanks.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #387
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Don't know how to feel about the Mandy. Not liking her so far, but that can change.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #388
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Sorry, but I REALLY don't understand what you're trying to say here? Seriously, what are you talking about? She's got some diverse interests, it happens. There's nothing "forced" about it, period.
It's about having a central focus. That the summary of the character was very superficial - especially when compared with ALL the other characters - and that the characteristics provided seem very disparate from one another, rather than form a cohesive narrative (i.e. one characteristic does not build, explain or shed light on another).

Yes, people have diverse interests in real life. However, real life does not make good storytelling. Real life essentially boils down to a series of random events, some predictable but many not; where as a hallmark of good storytelling features story devices such as foreshadowing, thematic arcs and allegories. As such, reality =/= fiction and that one cannot be used as a benchmark for another.

Ultimately, all I'm doing is trying to offer a critique of the character. If I've persuaded you, great. If I haven't, I hope my rationale and argumentation are at least understandable. It is hardly the de facto, one and only way to evaluate the character. When evaluating from her physical design, Sabine is pretty well executed - not just in utilising the advantages of CGI - but in conveying the core characteristics we are meant to take home for her. However, for me, having a clear, well thought out and sensible concept triumphs over physical design.

**Edit:**

Basically, my argumentation can be broken down as follows:

I can't readily see - and am not willing to blindly accept - how the character could come about. What we have with Sabine is a character who has a love for both, creation and destruction. If she grew up in a militant lifestyle with exposure to explosives and firearms, then why would she pick up tagging of all forms of self expression? Conversely, if the character is a street artist, then how did she get exposed to and become familiar with the use of explosives? Considering, she's been given a positive, upbeat personality, trying to merge the two seemingly contradicting traits into one character feels somewhat forced and artificial. Conversely, if the character had been given a more morbid/emo-esque personality, it would make more sense. Or alternatively, if her tagging was restricted specifically as a means to taunt the Empire by marking their triumphs.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 02-20-2014 at 07:48 PM.
mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #389
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
It's about having a central focus. That the summary of the character was very superficial - especially when compared with ALL the other characters - and that the characteristics provided seem very disparate from one another, rather than form a cohesive narrative (i.e. one characteristic does not build, explain or shed light on another).

Yes, people have diverse interests in real life. However, real life does not make good storytelling. Real life essentially boils down to a series of random events, some predictable but many not; where as a hallmark of good storytelling features story devices such as foreshadowing, thematic arcs and allegories. As such, reality =/= fiction and that one cannot be used as a benchmark for another.

Ultimately, all I'm doing is trying to offer a critique of the character. If I've persuaded you, great. If I haven't, I hope my rationale and argumentation are at least understandable. It is hardly the de facto, one and only way to evaluate the character. When evaluating from her physical design, Sabine is pretty well executed - not just in utilising the advantages of CGI - but in conveying the core characteristics we are meant to take home for her. However, for me, having a clear, well thought out and sensible concept triumphs over physical design.

**Edit:**

Basically, my argumentation can be broken down as follows:

I can't readily see - and am not willing to blindly accept - how the character could come about. What we have with Sabine is a character who has a love for both, creation and destruction. If she grew up in a militant lifestyle with exposure to explosives and firearms, then why would she pick up tagging of all forms of self expression? Conversely, if the character is a street artist, then how did she get exposed to and become familiar with the use of explosives? Considering, she's been given a positive, upbeat personality, trying to merge the two seemingly contradicting traits into one character feels somewhat forced and artificial. Conversely, if the character had been given a more morbid/emo-esque personality, it would make more sense. Or alternatively, if her tagging was restricted specifically as a means to taunt the Empire by marking their triumphs.
and that makes her more interesting to me.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #390
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

That could also end up making her a poorly written character.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #391
James
Built from Lego

Any character has the potential to be poorly written.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #392
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Yep. Potential is afterall offers us numerous possibilities.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #393
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

I just think it's way too early to judge any character.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #394
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

I don't think it can ever be too early to critique a piece of work. Even one in progress. Especially when the creators decide to release some information about it. Too early to draw final conclusions? Perhaps. But never to appraise the information available and have an opinion. Just because something isn't complete doesn't make it immune to criticism. In fact, that's when criticism is most useful.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 02-21-2014 at 02:51 PM.
mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #395
Octoberist
point blank

I'll admit that if this is cannon, I can't see a character like Sabine in the same universe as Luke and Han in A New Hope. A little jarring but I'll accept the creative license.

I mean, I like her, but she's a very modern creation especially with the graffiti art obsession.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #396
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

I knew Vanessa Marshall was going to voice a main character, she was in Young Justice and Spectacular Spider-Man both properties that Wiseman was involved in.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:55 AM   #397
Octoberist
point blank

Spectacular Spider-Man is still way better than that Ultimate Spider-Man series.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:57 AM   #398
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Well no ****, Sherlock.

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:59 AM   #399
Octoberist
point blank

grumble grumble

Old 02-22-2014, 02:02 AM   #400
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

The SSM character designs just showed me not to judge a book by it's cover. I thought the character designs were ****ing awful, but then I watched the episodes and was like "Whaaaaat?"

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote