The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #26
haephestus
Side-Kick

Default Re: Clark Kent The Reporter

I'm not sure how they're going to develop the "Clark Kent the Reporter" identity in MOS2.

It will be interesting since this version of Clark Kent doesn't have a journalism degree, doesn't have any experience in journalism and hasn't ever held down a "regular" job with regular working hours. I have to wonder whether Perry White simply offered "Superman" a job as a journalist to use as a cover in exchange for the "scoop" on all of Superman's heroics. Lois Lane could have proposed the idea to Perry White who accepted.

As such, Clark Kent may do little more than tag along with Lois lane and give Lois Lane all the scoops she needs to write about Superman. In this instance, Clark Kent may not even have to turn up to work very often. And could just be the shy/reserved guy who never seems to be in the office and who seems to get by without doing much work. Lois Lane could even tell people that Clark is Perry's nephew or something so they don't question the overt favouritism.

Or alternatively, they'll ignore Clark Kent's lack of qualifications and experience and simply set him up as a working reporter with Lois Lane. I don't think he'll be clumbsy or cowardly though. Just a little reserved, possibly due to the fact that people constantly tell him that he looks a little like Superman, except he's not as good looking, powerful or muscular as Superman.

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #27
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

There was a journalist on The Daily Show recently that seemed to have switched his careers very suddenly and started to report on conflicts in Africa with no previous journalistic credentials of any kind, so I think it's something that does occur, especially if someone is willing to do what literally NO ONE ELSE will.

I also would love to see Perry totally knowing the secret. I've wanted it in the comics forever. It makes sense and opens up a whole world of dramatic possibilities. I mean, you'd have Perry now wrestling with how much he can really lean on Clark to get answers for some story. It could lead to tension, since Perry could view Clark's commitment to journalism as a mere surface affectation, necessary only for his cover.

"No offense Clark, but you could read every single classified document in Washington at a glance and give us fool proof evidence whenever a politician is lying... Why don't you?"

As for the way Clark will handle himself at the D.P.? Just remember what Lois said in MOS: A ghost, a cypher that never quite fit in.

They've already established that Clark is good at hiding in plain sight. I actually wouldn't mind some of classic clumsy Clark (I think Henry would rock it), but let's also remember how Lois knowing could change the dynamic. When he threatens to go full on Chris Reeve Clark, Lois will give him the subtle hint he's laying it on too thick.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #28
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I think he'll be sort of the quiet assertive CK.....maybe slightly clumsy, but I think he'll be more geeky, then clumsy

Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #29
the last son
Side-Kick

I wish the spoilers would stop.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #30
The_Harvest
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post

The_Harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #31
the last son
Side-Kick

I'm speaking about the poster who spoiled the fate of Clark Kent. I mean what's the point of saying such a spoiler like that?

Old 02-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #32
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
I'm speaking about the poster who spoiled the fate of Clark Kent. I mean what's the point of saying such a spoiler like that?

That was bulls*** anyway man.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #33
The_Harvest
Banned User

Just started reading Superman - Birtright. I like what they did with him as a reporter.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
In the beginning of the comic he's a freelancer reporting on different conflicts in Africa. But we also find out that he has filed stories for nearly every continent. It's an unusual but interesting look to see Clark Kent operate once in a while outside of America/Metropolis.

Seeing how MOS used this comic book as an inspiration I hope that MOS 2 will also explore the Birtright Clark Kent.

Last edited by The_Harvest; 02-23-2014 at 05:31 PM.
The_Harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #34
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I'm hoping that Clark's DP persona will be faithful to the original idea of Clark, which is that he represented the beta male. Much as being clumsy, weak willed, and cowardly was what people considered unnatractive in a male circa 1938, I hope this film gives the Reporter persona traits that people aren't drawn to in 2014.

More than anything, I don't want to see the George Reeves/Dean Cain/STAS approach where there's little to no difference between Clark's reporter persona and his Superman one.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #35
Cassandra Cain
C'mon! Let's get NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-An View Post
I think this movie has some good reasons to use the DP Clark. Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor (research and investigation of a couple of reporters)
Can totally see this happening. Clark (and probably Lois) pose interest in Bruce Wayne's involvement in Metropolis (probably involving Lex and Lexcorp), especially since there are sights of a Batman in neighbor city Gotham and now Metropolis. Speculation commence!

And yeah, I don't think Snyder will portray Clark as the clumsy reporter. Just as Clark's previous aliases, he'll be a good-natured and polite DP employee. His only 'clumsiness' will probably be his amateurish reporting style since he's still new at it, but that's probably it.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #36
Sterling Archer
Worlds Greatest Super Spy

I don't really think the bumbling act is necessary. I mean the person who he will be spending most of his time at the DP with Lois and she already knows. As for everyone else at the DP, it's easy to not notice someone you have almost no interaction with. Now that could change if Jimmy is in the movie but we don't know yet if he is or isn't.

Sterling Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #37
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
That's like saying Bruce Wayne's playboy persona would bring too much attention to Bruce, but you don't see Batfans complaining about that.
I think it is not like saying that at all. Bruce Wayne can be a playboy and they would associate it with "that guy is so charming, this and that", they would think of him more as a George Clooney type of guy. Why would anyone think, that guy has plenty of money, and charm, and if there is one thing people with money, charm, and women like to do is put on a suit of armor and beat up criminals while wearing a mask. Sure, he could be at home watching movies in a private movie theater, or playing basketball indoors with Michael Jordan, or sleeping with Kate Upton, or throwing lavish parties with a bunch of Hollywood movie stars, but running around in the dark getting shot at and beaten up sounds more like a fun time.

Clark bumbling and drawing attention to himself makes Clark more memorable because you would notice a total idiot, you would look more at his face, and realize he looks like Superman. He has no mask, so it is better for him to be forgotten. If I walk into your place of business and slip and fall on the floor, get up, knock down your computer, accidentally spill a soda all over myself, and just to top it off I am a bumbling idiot who says things like "swell", you will probably remember my face a lot more than if I walked in and acted like every single other person you saw that day.

Batman is covered in armor in the night, and in a mask. It doesn't matter how much people look at Wayne's face, Batman has his face covered. And the biggest thing for me is why would anyone assume that if a guy is a billionaire like Bill Gates, but happens to be good looking, and happens to be single, and also happens to have a mansion, gets women left and right, and likes to flirt and has charm, etc. why would that person decide to leave all that at night to go beat up people with his bare hands? That would not make a lot of sense.

In a big city like Gotham is supposed to be you would think there are more than just 1 or 2 people with enough money for a car that looks like a tank. In Miami alone you have Star Island just filled with millionaire, and Palm Island and Hibiscus Island, and South Beach where there are literally towers of $55,000,000 condos.

Last edited by Superman_200; 02-27-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #38
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
I think it is not like saying that at all. Bruce Wayne can be a playboy and they would associate it with "that guy is so charming, this and that", they would think of him more as a George Clooney type of guy. Why would anyone think, that guy has plenty of money, and charm, and if there is one thing people with money, charm, and women like to do is put on a suit of armor and beat up criminals while wearing a mask. Sure, he could be at home watching movies in a private movie theater, or playing basketball indoors with Michael Jordan, or sleeping with Kate Upton, or throwing lavish parties with a bunch of Hollywood movie stars, but running around in the dark getting shot at and beaten up sounds more like a fun time.
And why would anyone think that a clumsy geek would also be an alpha male like Superman? Like the comic books explain, most people would not think that a guy like Superman would spend his time being Clark in the first place.

Quote:
Clark bumbling and drawing attention to himself makes Clark more memorable because you would notice a total idiot, you would look more at his face, and realize he looks like Superman.
Quote:
He has no mask, so it is better for him to be forgotten. If I walk into your place of business and slip and fall on the floor, get up, knock down your computer, accidentally spill a soda all over myself, and just to top it off I am a bumbling idiot who says things like "swell", you will probably remember my face a lot more than if I walked in and acted like every single other person you saw that day.

I think you're overblowing this. One, I don't think Reeve/Routh's Clark did as much slipping, falling, and bumbling as you want to believe. Two, Reeve/Routh's Clark is not the guy you're gonna run home and tell your spouse about. No one pays attention to the bumbling Clark. The only people he'd truly be memorable to are Lois, Jimmy, and Perry, because they're the only ones we actually see talking to at length.

Quote:
Batman is covered in armor in the night, and in a mask. It doesn't matter how much people look at Wayne's face, Batman has his face covered. And the biggest thing for me is why would anyone assume that if a guy is a billionaire like Bill Gates, but happens to be good looking, and happens to be single, and also happens to have a mansion, gets women left and right, and likes to flirt and has charm, etc. why would that person decide to leave all that at night to go beat up people with his bare hands? That would not make a lot of sense.
Um...it does when you realize that his parents were the victims in a highly publicized murder case, Bruce disappears for years, and right around the time he comes back, a giant bat starts taking out his anger on unsuspecting criminals. The women he supposedly gets? He often ups and leaves them without any explanation. And if he gets intimate with these women, they might notice all the scars on his body.

Quote:
In a big city like Gotham is supposed to be you would think there are more than just 1 or 2 people with enough money for a car that looks like a tank. In Miami alone you have Star Island just filled with millionaire, and Palm Island and Hibiscus Island, and South Beach where there are literally towers of $55,000,000 condos.
No other billionaire has the motive that Bruce has. In reality, people would figure out Bruce's identity just as easily as Clark's. Luckily, this isn't reality, so I'm wondering why people are nitpicking something like Clark's bumbler persona. Bruce Wayne's persona is just as questionable as Clark's, yet no one complains about Bruce's. Probably because unlike Superman, there aren't as many wildly different interpretations to Bruce's playboy facade. If Sigel/Shuster/Reeve Clark was all there was, I doubt it'd come under this much scrutiny.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #39
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
And why would anyone think that a clumsy geek would also be an alpha male like Superman? Like the comic books explain, most people would not think that a guy like Superman would spend his time being Clark in the first place.

I think you're overblowing this. One, I don't think Reeve/Routh's Clark did as much slipping, falling, and bumbling as you want to believe. Two, Reeve/Routh's Clark is not the guy you're gonna run home and tell your spouse about. No one pays attention to the bumbling Clark. The only people he'd truly be memorable to are Lois, Jimmy, and Perry, because they're the only ones we actually see talking to at length.

Um...it does when you realize that his parents were the victims in a highly publicized murder case, Bruce disappears for years, and right around the time he comes back, a giant bat starts taking out his anger on unsuspecting criminals. The women he supposedly gets? He often ups and leaves them without any explanation. And if he gets intimate with these women, they might notice all the scars on his body.

No other billionaire has the motive that Bruce has. In reality, people would figure out Bruce's identity just as easily as Clark's. Luckily, this isn't reality, so I'm wondering why people are nitpicking something like Clark's bumbler persona. Bruce Wayne's persona is just as questionable as Clark's, yet no one complains about Bruce's. Probably because unlike Superman, there aren't as many wildly different interpretations to Bruce's playboy facade. If Sigel/Shuster/Reeve Clark was all there was, I doubt it'd come under this much scrutiny.
Even a guy like the Clark Kent from Reeves you'd notice his face more than if he just didn't do anything silly at all. Like I said, lets say you and I work at the same place. I act like Reeves Clark Kent or I act like anyone else you see at your job, I don't say much, or do much other than just do my job, etc. I am just a boring person. Which one of the 2 would you notice more?

This guy would be noticed a little bit more than just any other person who just is boring, unmemorable, bland, etc.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

As for Batman, I don't see why anyone would think that Batman would have to be a millionaire. You would also think that for the movie they won't be making it seem again like Wayne returns and Batman appears. He could have a motive but it would make more sense that a millionaire would hire a fighter (if he were actually behind it) than go do it himself. If people were to suspect a millionaire with a tragic past with beating up criminals 20 years after the fact, they would probably assume a hit-man paid off by a Wayne rather than actually Wayne doing it.

For Bruce Wayne, I'd think he should be portrayed more like a Wayne Huizenga character, that if anyone suspected him of anything, they'd suspect him (like they did Huizenga) of having ties to crime, or more likely to hire someone to do his dirty work than to him actually doing it himself. If they play it right, it can be done very well. If there were a vigilante running around in the world no one would say that it is probably Patrick Duffy (whose parents were murdered during a robbery) or Michael Jordan, or Kelsey Grammer or Dylan McDermott or anything like that. If someone was running around Chicago beating the crap out of criminals I seriously doubt anyone would say, "You know what? Michael Jordan did it".

Last edited by Superman_200; 02-28-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:29 AM   #40
D.P.
Banned User

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:47 AM   #41
matt47
Side-Kick

^ That's totally awesome!

matt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:25 AM   #42
Afrobean
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreakable Lex View Post
The thing that bothers me a tad about the reasoning for him to be a reporter, and why it works to keep his identity secret, is that if he were to really go some place dangerous, it would likely be some war zone on the other side of the planet.

If he's reporting on crime, he's going to the scene after the fact. And if he's always going to a place where Superman saves the day... dots would be connected very quickly.
We never really saw Clark in high school or at university. Perhaps he always had an interest in journalism and even studied it after high school. Maybe the "ear to the ground" thing is just an after-the-fact rationalization, an extra reason for him to settle down in Metropolis rather than journeying the world while doing good as "Superman".

Quote:
Originally Posted by haephestus
It will be interesting since this version of Clark Kent doesn't have a journalism degree, doesn't have any experience in journalism and hasn't ever held down a "regular" job with regular working hours.
We missed out on fifteen years of Clark's life as a young adult. We don't know what he's done apart from working on a fishing boat for a time and working at a restaurant for a time.

Afrobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #43
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well the biggest spoiler is that Clark Kent
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
is really Superman!

I know, big news right!

The Amazing Spider-Man 2- April 16th
WarriorDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:50 AM   #44
D.P.
Banned User

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:09 AM   #45
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

^ I don't think Cavill wants to develop either scoliosis or a pinched nerve while portraying Reporter Clark.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:41 AM   #46
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Well then he's clearly not devoted enough!

Llama_Shepherd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #47
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Well then he's clearly not devoted enough!
Hey, he learned how to fly, lift over 200 million metric tons and move at speeds approaching mach 8. I think he showed as much hustle as Chris Reeve, who of course famously learned to catch a bullet in his teeth to get the part.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #48
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Lois looks like Robin Tunney here.
Robin Tunney would have been a good choice for Lois actually - she looks a lot like a young Margot Kidder! Also, her personality seems feisty and strong from what I've seen of her on film. I do like Amy Adams though.

Sorry to get off topic...so back to Clark...

BatFan1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #49
CountOrlok
Banned User

I always think of David Carradine's speech in Kill Bill when I think of Clark Kent.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #50
Bran The Man
Half-Shelled Hero

I like the Birthright idea. CK as foreign reporter/correspondent could work really well, I think. He would hardly ever be in the office for people to catch a glimpse of him.

Last edited by Bran The Man; 03-02-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Bran The Man is offline   Reply With Quote