The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #26
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Not really, there was very little reaction time to Loki's death in particular.
It wasn't after 30 seconds like you're saying though, that's why I said you exaggerated.

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #27
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I really don't want to talk about this here. But lets just say the first Thor film had plenty of comedy, but it also understood when to take itself seriously. Imagine the Thor/Loki confrontation, arguably the best scene in the MCU, with a more... humorous tone.

Movies like Iron Man, TFA, Thor and the Avengers for the most part understand the mood. When to crack a joke, when to play up the action, when to acknowledge the drama.

That is what I want from TWS.
Couldnt agree more with Darth on this, especially about Thor 1.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 02-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #28
Huddsy
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have said it before and I will say it again, why even hire the GoT guy if you arent going to let him do his thing?

Just doesnt make sense to me, and the movie was the poorer for it.
GoT is the very definition of a hiring hired guns. Benioff and Weiss run the show, and the directors show up, film some things and go home while the big guys are running from set to set to make sure everything is working.

Taylor isn't a vision guy. He's almost exclusively been one of HBO's puppets. Not that it's a bad thing because it's led to very good TV on GoT, Sopranos, Sex and City, etc. but I can understand why Marvel might have got involved.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #29
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
It wasn't after 30 seconds like you're saying though, that's why I said you exaggerated.
45 then maybe? After Loki actually dies Thor screams, then says 3 or 4 lines in the gave and then we get the comedy scene with Jane's phone call.

Its barely a minute at best.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 02-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #30
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
I really don't want to talk about this here. But lets just say the first Thor film had plenty of comedy, but it also understood when to take itself seriously. Imagine the Thor/Loki confrontation, arguably the best scene in the MCU, with a more... humorous tone.

Movies like Iron Man, TFA, Thor and the Avengers for the most part understand the mood. When to crack a joke, when to play up the action, when to acknowledge the drama.

That is what I want from TWS.
You're going to be happy, or at least I hope so.

Quote:
45 then maybe? After Loki actually dies Thor screams, then says 3 or 4 lines in the gave and then we get the comedy scene with Jane's phone call.

Its barely a minute at best.
Over a minute, I'm watching the scene as we speak.

1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 02-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #31
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I didn't say that they're never hands on. Please read what I'm posting. They're hands on when things aren't working. When things are going smoothly they let the filmmakers do their thing.

None of the dark elf stuff in Thor 2 works, so I'm not surprised that Marvel pushed Taylor to add more comedy. And brought in new editors, and added that Loki ending at the last minute
That would be because it was written paper thin, and what little meat there was, they removed from the film. As I have said before, you had the perfect reasoning for Thor to abdicate. You had the perfect arc for Thor. Play up what ruling does to man, what they become. You have the perfect examples in Bor, Malekith, Odin and Loki.

But nah, lets do a bit of crappy exposition at the end. Lets contradict the first film plenty. Lets not write any significant moments and scenes with Thor and his mother. Lets have Thor's big plan be all about saving Jane Foster and ignoring that to save the universe, he would have been best listening to his father.

But at least there is Loki.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #32
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Quote:

Over a minute, I'm watching the scene as we speak.

Can't get over how much of a missed oppurtunity TDW was Hopefully it will grow on me when I watch it again on blu-ray, they told me in Thor thread it does.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #33
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
That Taylor had disputes over what was and wasn't cut, the comedy and composer, I'd say they were hands on. That is the very definition of hands-on.

With TDW it isn't that they didn't find the right guy to direct. It is that we will never know, because Marvel wouldn't stop touching. The script situation is the biggest red flag you can have. It was the "Marvel" vision, not Taylor's.

Now I am not saying they don't have the right to do that, and in some cases such things help a production. But that isn't hands off.
Actually, Taylor was the one that retrofitted a lot of the scenes with humor. He thought they needed them to match the Marvel template. Not a good call, to say the least.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #34
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Everything I have read and seen indicates this is going to be the great film I have been waiting for from MS. I hope that turns out to be the case.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #35
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
That would be because it was written paper thin,
Yes, as I said it was a problem at the script level. No runtime will fix that. That was literally the point I was making

They "meddled" to try and make what they had palatable. But what they had wasn't quite strong enough.

For Thor 3 what they need is a filmmaker with a strong vision for the film, and a much better script. I think we both agree on that

Anyway, sorry for the thread derail. Back to Winter Soldier!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #36
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
That would be because it was written paper thin, and what little meat there was, they removed from the film. As I have said before, you had the perfect reasoning for Thor to abdicate. You had the perfect arc for Thor. Play up what ruling does to man, what they become. You have the perfect examples in Bor, Malekith, Odin and Loki.

But nah, lets do a bit of crappy exposition at the end. Lets contradict the first film plenty. Lets not write any significant moments and scenes with Thor and his mother. Lets have Thor's big plan be all about saving Jane Foster and ignoring that to save the universe, he would have been best listening to his father.

But at least there is Loki.
I'm watching the film now, Thor says to Odin he'll take Jane to TDW and have Malekith pull the aether from Jane and he'll destroy it. I'm pretty sure he just wasn't thinking about Jane all the time, otherwise we wouldn't have had that confrontation with Malekith at the end. But I agree with you, I would have liked to see more of Thor and Frigga, they actually cut out a scene where the two of them are conversing after she was talking to Loki in prison.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #37
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Actually, Taylor was the one that retrofitted a lot of the scenes with humor. He thought they needed them to match the Marvel template. Not a good call, to say the least.
I have a hard time believing that the Darcy stuff in the final act was his idea, and his idea alone. He has mentioned a tug-o-war on the subject of humor. Considering how he carried tone with his previous work, it makes no sense. I can see him and the crew improvising stuff like Thor not knowing where to put his hammer or the general tone of the opening battle, as it fits. The Darcy stuff is completely detached.

Quote:
I'm watching the film now, Thor says to Odin he'll take Jane to TDW and have Malekith pull the aether from Jane and he'll destroy it. I'm pretty sure he just wasn't thinking about Jane all the time, otherwise we wouldn't have had that confrontation with Malekith at the end. But I agree with you, I would have liked to see more of Thor and Frigga, they actually cut out a scene where the two of them are conversing after she was talking to Loki in prison.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Last bit of discussion on the topic. What is safer for the universe, to let the once in many thousand years event pass without putting the Aether in Malekith's hands, or taking the Aether to him right before he might need it?

You sit Jane in the throne room surrounded by Odin and Thor, who know the Dark Elves are coming, and they aren't getting the Aether. No fear of darkness.

Thor's brilliant play placed the universe in danger on two levels. He gave Malekith the Aether and he released Loki back into the wild. Fool.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 02-25-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #38
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Enough guys. Jebus. Just stop.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #39
Huddsy
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that the Darcy stuff in the final act was his idea, and his idea alone. He has mentioned a tug-o-war on the subject of humor. Considering how he carried tone with his previous work, it makes no sense. I can see him and the crew improvising stuff like Thor not knowing where to put his hammer or the general tone of the opening battle, as it fits. The Darcy stuff is completely detached.
That was made by Hemsworth. He completely did it out of the blue while on set and it stuck.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #40
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddsy View Post
That was made by Hemsworth. He completely did it out of the blue while on set and it stuck.
Nailed it. Damn I am good.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #41
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Everything I have read and seen indicates this is going to be the great film I have been waiting for from MS. I hope that turns out to be the case.
Imo it is, well at least what I saw. Given the recent run time, they cut out a few things. Let's see if it holds up to the version I saw anyways.

Quote:

Thor's brilliant play placed the universe in danger on two levels. He gave Malekith the Aether and he released Loki back into the wild. Fool.
Come on cut the guy a break. What you wrote had me rolling man. Fair enough.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #42
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Outside of LokiCap, that was the funniest thing in the movie, IMO.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #43
Huddsy
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'd love to see the most random nod to it in a future movie. Thor just walks into Stark...er... Avengers Tower and hands the hammer to the girl at the front desk.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #44
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
I'd love to see the most random nod to it in a future movie. Thor just walks into Stark...er... Avengers Tower and hands the hammer to the girl at the front desk.
Do you want the poor girl to die?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #45
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Her arm would probably just fall off.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #46
Huddsy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Do you want the poor girl to die?
DARK HUMOR.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #47
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Agreed... but let's get back to Cap shall we?

I read the article up above and....

Now I know how Cap lands... there's no freaking way. That's just so much noise.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #48
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

This is the worst start for a new thread I've ever seen...

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #49
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Her arm would probably just fall off.
Considering blood loss and shock, dead in seconds.

Quote:
DARK HUMOR.

That is Coen brothers dark.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #50
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post
Agreed... but let's get back to Cap shall we?

I read the article up above and....

Now I know how Cap lands... there's no freaking way. That's just so much noise.
Well considering it is Cap, he could land pretty far away and swim to the ship in no time. So I don't think that would be much of a problem.