The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #551
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Default Re: Amy Adams IS Lois Lane - Part 3

Audrey thanks for that link to the website. i've just had a quick glance at it and it's a bit shocking seeing some of the results. Will read it when I get the time.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #552
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
I know. I believe calling Rachel a poorly written character is an exaggeration (I used "terribly" mostly for effect, didn't mean to misquote you or put words in your mouth).

Which isn't quite the same as being poorly written. It's also not true. She was (along with Alfred, but to an admittedly lesser extent) Bruce's confidant, best friend, and conscience. If she hadn't (literally) slapped some sense into him in BB, he might not have ever become Batman.
We'll just have to agree to disagree, I think. I thought she was pretty poorly written and bland overall, although more so in TDK than BB. I thought most characters in the trilogy were written decent to amazingly well though.

\S/T*
Old 02-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #553
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Most of our conversations end that way.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #554
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ Maybe we're both cantankerous individuals? Or we realize, unlike most, that we'd just go on debating forever if one doesn't realize we won't see eye to eye? Perhaps we have evolved...

\S/T*
Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #555
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Yes, we're quite amazing, the two of us.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #556
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

lol....Mrs.K and Scout need to get a room so they can be awesome....alone.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #557
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Fallen Angel just reminded me about the Lois Lane one shot that will be on sale tomorrow, Feb. 26. If you're a comic reader and a Lois Lane fan, you may want to check this out. I already pre-ordered my digital copy and I'll probably pick up a hard copy from the comic store on the weekend. It's part of the new 52, but it's Lois Lane-centric and that's all that matters to me.

It's Superman: Lois Lane #1 if you're interested.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #558
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Is it a "day in the life" type thing?

Old 02-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #559
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Is it a "day in the life" type thing?

Nah it connects to her storyline from a few months back in Superman Annual #2.

This is what the solit says:

Lois Lane is known for chasing down stories — but what happens when the story is her family? As her father gains more power in the government, Lois’s sister Lucy has become involved with a deadly drug scene! Meanwhile, Lois thought she was rid of the influence of Brainiac, but now she finds that the the computer tyrant of Colu is calling out to her again!

Preview panels if you're interested.

http://http://uk.ign.com/articles/20...lane-1-preview

Last edited by Fallen Angel; 02-25-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #560
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Hmm...sounds interesting.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #561
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I'm hoping folks check this out. DC needs to know Lois Lane has fans.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #562
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Audrey thanks for that link to the website. i've just had a quick glance at it and it's a bit shocking seeing some of the results. Will read it when I get the time.
You're welcome.

Shocking, yeah. And depressing.

But it's all right there.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 PM   #563
boo123
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
I don't think the person was implying that there aren't perfectly healthy relationships where a man is 23 years older than a woman. Heck, I know several couples where the man is 20 years older and they are extremely happy. That's not gross at all.

What's "gross" is that it is a statistical fact that as men age in Hollywood their love interests stay the same age contributing to this terrible cultural problem. The data has been compiled on this and it was featured on several websites last year.

You can read the data here: http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/leadi...ests-dont.html

It's not gross at all for two consenting adults who are 23 years apart to be in a relationship. But it is gross that this problem has become standard in Hollywood because it DOES have a severe impact on the way both men and women view age and gender.

Women like Amy Adams and Sandra Bullock are fighting this fight for us right now as they are sometimes being paired with age appropriate men or even younger actors. I actually saw someone talking about this openly on twitter last week---about how POSITIVE it is to have a mass franchise like SUPERMAN that is so huge in the media featuring an age appropriate actress with a slightly younger man. This is a HUGE deal and it's a huge first step. But it's just a crack in the glass. All we can do is hope that more and more franchises get called out on this stuff and start to correct this wrong.

But Amy cannot fight this fight alone. The culture absolutely has to change. And the only way we get to that change is if we can talk about this stuff and make people learn and understand that this is a serious problem and that is DOES impact our kids growing up to see this stuff.

I assume this is what the other poster meant and I assume you did know this. But I think this is where they were coming from?

thank you!!!!!

i'll also quote jessica chastain here:
Quote:
Everytime an actress is celebrated for her great work, I cheer. For the more brilliant their performance, the more the audience demands stories about women. With support and encouragement, we help to inspire this industry to create opportunities for women. And as we all know: a great year for women in film, is just a great year for film.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #564
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ Awesome quote by Chastain.

\S/T*
Old 02-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #565
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Why "gross"? That's part of the problem right there. Everyone's hung up on age in one way or another. I personally think that when they pair actors for romantic parts that they should be fairly close in age....but there is no reason to say gross when we are talking about adults.
I guess it's just... in the real world, if two people met and fell in love and there was that much of an age difference, fine. But in a movie, 9 times out of 10, when you have a much, MUCH older male lead it's just another example of needless Hollywood sexism. So, maybe "gross" is the wrong word for it, but regardless... unless it's actually part of the story that the woman is supposed to be so much younger than the man, there's no need for it.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 AM   #566
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

An important aspect of Amy Adams' age, previously mentioned, is that I can believe that she is a successful reporter. The cutoff there is quite simple, she needs to look 30 and over, approximately. In addition to the awards, the confidence and bullishness displayed by Lois Lane in MoS is something I wouldn't be able to believe in if she were 23. It's the type of confidence that can either emerge from an irrational arrogance or a track record of success, where the second is what they were going for.

A prerequisite for the second movie for me is to see more Daily Planet social dynamics between Clark and Lois.

Thanks for letting me know about the comic-one-stop, I'll be going to the comic book store in downtown canberra then.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #567
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Chastain
Everytime an actress is celebrated for her great work, I cheer. For the more brilliant their performance, the more the audience demands stories about women. With support and encouragement, we help to inspire this industry to create opportunities for women. And as we all know: a great year for women in film, is just a great year for film.
Chastain brings up a good point. A lot is made of the fact that Hollywood cannot write and direct women characters as well as they can male characters, and that's true I think. There are fewer female protagonists, which is possibly an artefact of fewer female writers and directors. With that said I think that the audience is part of the problem. We're collectively much harsher in our evaluation of female characters and female-led films. We see this in mad men fandom where everybody loves Don Draper and hates Betty Draper (whom I assume is named after Betty Friedan) even though they both tell an interesting story, both stories being complementary. Anna Gunn of Breaking Bad has written an op-ed about the irrational hate directed toward her character.

I think that the biggest determinant of whether or not the general audience considers a female character to be well-written is how attractive the actress playing her is, and secondly whether or not she's supportive. It's shallow and unfortunate, but if we're wondering why Hollywood doesn't yield better female characters, part of the blame has to lie in the collective mirror. It is much harder to write female characters than it is to write male characters, because the audience won't try to pidgon-hole male characters as being either whores or naggy *****es.

But as more female characters are well-written over time (e.g. Katniss Everdeen), and they trickle in, the public's mind is broadened.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 02-26-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #568
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I guess it's just... in the real world, if two people met and fell in love and there was that much of an age difference, fine. But in a movie, 9 times out of 10, when you have a much, MUCH older male lead it's just another example of needless Hollywood sexism. So, maybe "gross" is the wrong word for it, but regardless... unless it's actually part of the story that the woman is supposed to be so much younger than the man, there's no need for it.
I understand perfectly the position when talking about movie characters...but from your original post, that wasn't clear. I see posters repeatedly taking shots at "older" people on here (and other sites across the net) and was wondering if that was just more of the same. As someone who happens to be older than every other poster on here (I'm 56) and who also happens to be 13 years older than his wife...you may understand why I am wary of comments that say "gross" when talking of an older man being with a younger woman.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #569
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Understandable; sorry about that. Didn't mean to sound like I was just taking a shot at older people. Guess it would have helped to have been clearer in my original post.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #570
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
For all the criticism that Clooney gets for dating younger women, I was surprised to see his love interest on film have been mostly age appropriate by that article's standards.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #571
Hunter Rider
Ronin

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 02-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #572
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

^^

Old 02-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #573
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

She be lookin mighty fiiiiiiiiine.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #574
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I'll be interested to see Adam's fashion choice for the Oscars. It'll be kinda of cold and there's a possibility of rain. I expect to see some great capes and shawls.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 AM   #575
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I just read Lois Lane The New 52 #1.

It is ok. Has anybody else read it? I have low-comics literacy so I'm wondering how other people reacted to it. I also have trouble interpreting it as it takes place in the new 52, and I have no idea what's going on there.

The story, which is short, mostly focuses on Lois' relationship with her family and in particular, with Lucy Lane. Superman shows up in the story, but as a distant, bit player.

ETA: I wonder if one of the vigilante tattle tales on this forum will complain about me to the mods on the basis that discussing comic book lois lane is "off-topic" in the amy adams as lois lane forum.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 03-02-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Closed Thread