The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #976
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

I can't be the first person to say this but I just watched Catching Fire and I thought Sam Claflin would be the perfect Aquaman. I thought it from the start, and when he picked up the trident it was just confirmed for me lol.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #977
Peyton Westlake
Side-Kick

in this new 52...if anyone has been reading it since issue #1......has his origin changed yet again?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #978
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton Westlake View Post
in this new 52...if anyone has been reading it since issue #1......has his origin changed yet again?
I haven't read all of it, but it started with Aquaman/Arthur and Mera living happily on land, by the ocean. Arthur is still half-Atlantean (on his mother's side) and he goes back and forth between ruling Atlantis and being a superhero, and working with the Justice League (and he is aware that he is the butt of jokes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
About a movie, what do you all think it should be like? I imagine it as a kind of Star Wars underwater, with Arthur growing up in the surfasse world and later discovering his origins, as well as his heritage.

...It would be then be an all out Atlantean invasion, but it wouldn't go too far thanks to Arthur, who would take the throne once again and kill or imprison Orm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I kind of envision an Aquaman movie as a mix of Star Wars and Game of Thrones, with a little bit of Avatar thrown in. Also, Mera playing a prominent role and being a badass is a must for me, I love her.
It could very much be like Star Wars. It could have the advanced Atlantean tech mixed with the mystical/mythological stuff. The Atlantean tech would be interesting to see since it could be mysterious, advanced and ancient at the same time (kind of like Krypton in Man of Steel, but tied to the ocean environment in design and function.)

So there could be great action scenes mixed with strange alien-like creatures, and all the politics/intrigue of Atlantis etc.

In terms of mystical stuff, "Sword of Atlantis" had great art and design and had a lot of "Game of Thrones" style of mythology, and strange creatures etc. Not that they should follow that storyline, but it had a great look.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #979
Peyton Westlake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
I haven't read all of it, but it started with Aquaman/Arthur and Mera living happily on land, by the ocean. Arthur is still half-Atlantean (on his mother's side) and he goes back and forth between ruling Atlantis and being a superhero, and working with the Justice League (and he is aware that he is the butt of jokes.)

I guess nothing major then. No one has come up with one ,even if it bothers the purists, of an origin for him befitting of a true king.

It could very much be like Star Wars. It could have the advanced Atlantean tech mixed with the mystical/mythological stuff. The Atlantean tech would be interesting to see since it could be mysterious, advanced and ancient at the same time (kind of like Krypton in Man of Steel, but tied to the ocean environment in design and function.)

So there could be great action scenes mixed with strange alien-like creatures, and all the politics/intrigue of Atlantis etc.

In terms of mystical stuff, "Sword of Atlantis" had great art and design and had a lot of "Game of Thrones" style of mythology, and strange creatures etc. Not that they should follow that storyline, but it had a great look.
It would be cool if some Atlantean technology was the start for something we use today or shown to have been used to build the pyramids.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:57 AM   #980
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I think that we should all probably be prepared to see an AQUAMAN film that deviates quite a bit from the comic book norm myself. For one, I think that for the Atlanteans to be a credible threat to the surface world on a story level, and to ease the SFX budget by a considerable amount as well as lessen the headaches the director will have, we'll most likely have a story where all Atlanteans can survive in dry environments for extended periods the way Aquaman has traditionally been shown to do. Something more like sunken bubble cities where the Atlanteans live away from the open Ocean. Of course they still can live without aid of oxygen suits or masks in the water, but they live in a dry, or at least, dry-ish environment inside their domed cities. Aquaman could actually be, because of his heritage, the only one of them that can stay for long periods on land. It would add to the division he feels internally. Because now he actually could turn his back on his mother's people and live out a peaceful life on the surface if you did it this way. Before, you just assume that's not a choice for him. This adds a level of tension to his story I think.

I think it might also help if you just went whole hog on Aquaman's telepathy. Sure, he still has control over most simple ocean life, but also have him be able to communicate with any one's mind, and give him limited empathic and mind reading power. I'm not saying he should be Prof.X, but giving him the power of the mind even in a limited way could open up some interesting story avenues.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

Last edited by KRYPTON INC.; 03-08-2014 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #981
Peyton Westlake
Side-Kick

I still think Aquaman has to undo the soft image he has undeservedly attached to him. Most people, if they know him at all , think he is a joke ,dressed in an Orange suit & simply talks to fish, We can thank that to the producers of the Superfriends animated TV show. Its a shame because I dug into some of his past and the King of Atlantis can trade punches with Superman and raise city blocks that crumbled into the sea by standing under them and lifting them out of the surf. If he was written as a total badass, using special effects and a medieval Atlantis vibe his story could be epic.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #982
Peyton Westlake
Side-Kick

Unless that was already stated. Wasn't going to read thru 900+ comments.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #983
Ryder
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I still think this need a reboot, probably the closest thing we will ever have to a live action aquaman,
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Ryder; 03-11-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #984
Lobo
skip skip skip

Glad to see this thread is still active

Old 03-24-2014, 04:08 AM   #985
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Bump... Cuz Arthur needs to float to the top!!

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #986
Rorschach2012
$

No to Sam caflin as aquaman or flash. Just no. He's more wrong for aquaman than flash.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #987
Powerman34
Side-Kick

Liam Hemsworth!

Old 03-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #988
Rorschach2012
$

Jason Momoa!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #989
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Mamoa is actually an idea I am warming too. I don't think he was well served by that CONAN film. If he can do a characterization that balances out some vunerability with a sense of cleared eyed toughness we'd expect feom Arthur, he'd be a great choice. He has enough of an interesting look to make me believe he is the heir to an ancient Kingdom.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:44 AM   #990
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

For Aquaman they definitely need someone who doesn't have an ounce of pretty-boy in them. I don't think Claflin passes this test.

Momoa fits the bill, especially if they go for an Aquaman who's been King for a while

I also like Joel Edgerton (Warrior, Animal Kingdom, Great Gatsby, etc), for a more sympathetic (but still manly) Arthur.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-25-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 AM   #991
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I see Edgerton more for the role of Curry Sr., the man that raises Aquaman, and hopefully his biological father as well, more than for Aquaman himself. But that's me.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #992
Powerman34
Side-Kick

Mamora is a cool idea. Depends on what he is playing inBvS

Old 03-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #993
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Queen Mera - Emily Blunt

I originally thought of Emily Blunt as Hawkgirl but I like her much better as Queen Mera. To play Mera I think, you need to be able to showcase that she's a tough warrior woman and also the softer sides of her character. Emily Blunt is a great actress who can access both sides and we know she was nearly cast as Black Widow, so she's not entirely against playing a superheroine.

Black Manta - Wood Harris

I got this idea from another website but it just clicked so well for me in my head. He's an extremely underrated actor. in my eyes, whoever plays Black Manta needs to be physically intimidating. They also need to be able to come off as completely evil and dangerous. Wood Harris is the perfect guy for that. He can sell a guy who just hates Aquaman with a passion and just wants him to burn.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #994
Loki882
Side-Kick

I was thinking Chiwetal Ejiofor for Black Manta. Watch his performance as The Operative in Serenity, he could play a fantastic Black Manta. That's assuming that Marvel doesn't scoop him up to play Black Panther (which he'd also be perfect for).

Old 03-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #995
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Chiwetel as Black Manta would also be awesome.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #996
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
For Aquaman they definitely need someone who doesn't have an ounce of pretty-boy in them. I don't think Claflin passes this test.

Momoa fits the bill, especially if they go for an Aquaman who's been King for a while
In a solo film, they need to tell his origin. That requires a younger actor.
If not a pretty boy, then find some decent looking actor. Maybe even an ugly one? As long as he can act and have dramatic depth to him, it will be good.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #997
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post

I also like Joel Edgerton (Warrior, Animal Kingdom, Great Gatsby, etc), for a more sympathetic (but still manly) Arthur.

I'm down with either of these guys

Old 03-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #998
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Edgerton would be great. Haven't seen much variation in Mamoa's roles but I do like that he's starting to branch out.

EDIT: I also like Joe Manganiello as Aquaman.

Last edited by Harry Dresden; 03-30-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #999
The Guard
Side-Kick

Why does everyone want Aquaman to be huge?

I know he's depicted that way, but wouldn't it make more sense for a swimming character to be a little lankier and leaner?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 03-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #1000
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Why does everyone want Aquaman to be huge?

I know he's depicted that way, but wouldn't it make more sense for a swimming character to be a little lankier and leaner?

That's why my friend

Closed Thread