The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #26
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Is the mini marathon just Cap 1 and CA: TWS? Yeah, I wonder why they're not doing all three Cap movies.

Because I know a lot of people think it's too soon for the WS arc in the movies, but Cap's been unfrozen for two years as of TWS and, really, this is his third movie appearance, the second one to explore the Man Out of Time arc, as the Avengers did that, even peripherally. So if we're kind of looking at Cap's character in terms of trilogy development, TWS fits in nicely with the arc developed from TFA to The Avengers to this movie.

So yeah, it makes sense to include Avengers in a pre-TWS marathon. Strange they aren't doing it that way.
Yeah, it is just a double feature. I think it is stupid not to include Avengers as well. Maybe Thor's marathon didn't sell as many tickets as they wanted, so they're seeing if a double feature will sell better? I do think it is easier to understand TWS without Avengers than TDW would have been, mostly due to Loki being in chains and such. But, it is still essential!

I'll probably do my own TFA and Avengers double feature one day, and so the Cap double feature just gives me an excuse to watch TFA an extra time prior to TWS. Oh well

Old 03-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #27
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
New featurette about BW and her character in TWS:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Simply going by the trailers and spots and now this featurette, there seems to be ample opportunities to let ScarJo flex dramatic/action-heroine/comedic chops. Her delivery of some lines -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
"I'm multitasking!", "No, that's your mission," and "Everyone's trying to kill us"
really show off a lovely deadpan skill well suited to Scarlett's demeanor and what she's done with Widow.

I am really happy. A lot of people seem to get down on Scarlett in the role, but I think she's done a great job with all her appearances in further fleshing out Widow's character. To the point I really have a hard time picturing anyone else in the role.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #28
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Aww, opportunity missed. A scene where he learns how to use toilet paper would have been gold.

I just really wanted an entire movie of Steve watching Pixar movies and going into Apple Stores. "Nat, why is the 'i' lowercase, but the 'Phone' isn't? And what are these doohickeys iPads? They don't even look like paper! I don't get it! Everything looks like it's made of glass! That Macbook Air thingy's so skinny it's gonna break! I HATE THE FUTURE!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Yeah, it is just a double feature. I think it is stupid not to include Avengers as well. Maybe Thor's marathon didn't sell as many tickets as they wanted, so they're seeing if a double feature will sell better? I do think it is easier to understand TWS without Avengers than TDW would have been, mostly due to Loki being in chains and such. But, it is still essential!

I'll probably do my own TFA and Avengers double feature one day, and so the Cap double feature just gives me an excuse to watch TFA an extra time prior to TWS. Oh well
Yeah, I'm definitely watching TFA and Avengers before going. Say, wouldn't showing Avengers as part of a marathon add to the movie's box office gross?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #29
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just really wanted an entire movie of Steve watching Pixar movies and going into Apple Stores. "Nat, why is the 'i' lowercase, but the 'Phone' isn't? And what are these doohickeys iPads? They don't even look like paper! I don't get it! Everything looks like it's made of glass! That Macbook Air thingy's so skinny it's gonna break! I HATE THE FUTURE!!"
I always liked that bit from the Ultimates where Wasp mentions him having rummaged through records stores and garage sales for months trying to rebuild his old record collection (although it's kind of sad too ).

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #30
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely watching TFA and Avengers before going. Say, wouldn't showing Avengers as part of a marathon add to the movie's box office gross?
You would have thought so, LOL!!! But it's cool. TFA was my favorite of the phase 1 solos anyway. Now I get to watch it twice before seeing TWS

Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #31
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I always liked that bit from the Ultimates where Wasp mentions him having rummaged through records stores and garage sales for months trying to rebuild his old record collection (although it's kind of sad too ).
And then Steve finds ebay, but can't figure out how to buy anything

Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #32
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

That opening scene was more amazing than Thor/Thor 2 and Iron Man 2/3, there I said it.

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #33
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The sequence had some fighting beats and stunts that were snipped out from what was shown at D23. Hopefully it will be the full version on the big screen.

- CM Punk
Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #34
universeman
Side-Kick

Today I watched Thor and Captain America also when BBT was on they showed a CAWS trailer same stuff but really cool BBT mix with CAWS epic!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #35
Marvolo
Side-Kick

I just watched the four minute trailer. I can not believe how good this looks. I also cant believe the Russo brothers directed what seems to be the best stand alone film of phase 2 possibly the best stand alone film period.

I was expecting great things from Black and Taylor and was expecting **** from the Russo brothers. It turned out to be the complete opposite. These guys have done a great job from what I can tell.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #36
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

The one thing that I'm trying to figure out is whether they're prepping Captain America to "take over" what's left of SHIELD by the end of the film or if they're just paving the way for him to eventually leave it and be on his own or regroup with the Avengers at the end of it.

Personally, I enjoy any chance in seeing Captain America leading any group since it just comes off feeling right, which is really in credit to Evans' acting and portrayal of the character.

I think it's possible that Captain America may be the first hero to break the bad trend that Marvel Studios seems to have when it comes to delivering a sequel for a solo hero that is viewed by a majority as living up or surpassing both expectations and by what was established in the character's previous's film.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #37
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
The one thing that I'm trying to figure out is whether they're prepping Captain America to "take over" what's left of SHIELD by the end of the film or if they're just paving the way for him to eventually leave it and be on his own or regroup with the Avengers at the end of it.

Personally, I enjoy any chance in seeing Captain America leading any group since it just comes off feeling right, which is really in credit to Evans' acting and portrayal of the character.

I think it's possible that Captain America may be the first hero to break the bad trend that Marvel Studios seems to have when it comes to delivering a sequel for a solo hero that is viewed by a majority as living up or surpassing both expectations and by what was established in the character's previous's film.
Agreed, but I will say I think most people agree Iron Man 3 was better than Iron Man 2. Now, the first Iron Man is still the favorite by most, but Iron Man 3 DID beat Iron Man 2 for most. But, that is a topic for another forum!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #38
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Agreed, but I will say I think most people agree Iron Man 3 was better than Iron Man 2. Now, the first Iron Man is still the favorite by most, but Iron Man 3 DID beat Iron Man 2 for most. But, that is a topic for another forum!
lol; I actually meant regarding on how "Iron Man 2" was considered somewhat disappointing when compared to "Iron Man 1" only.

Man, I feel like Joss has some pretty high expectation to live up to now, more so than ever.

I mean when you consider the beautiful visuals of "TDW", the great final action sequence at Docks in "Iron Man 3", and with everything that's going on in this film as well, he'll need to up his ante with how he portrays the action in the next Avengers film.

Also, I keep feeling like THIS is what GI JOE should have been like on film.

Another thing, I'm guessing Captain America will no longer use a gun as much anymore.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #39
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
lol; I actually meant regarding on how "Iron Man 2" was considered somewhat disappointing when compared to "Iron Man 1" only.

Man, I feel like Joss has some pretty high expectation to live up to now, more so than ever.

I mean when you consider the beautiful visuals of "TDW", the great final action sequence at Docks in "Iron Man 3", and with everything that's going on in this film as well, he'll need to up his ante with how he portrays the action in the next Avengers film.

Also, I keep feeling like THIS is what GI JOE should have been like on film.

Another thing, I'm guessing Captain America will no longer use a gun as much anymore.
This film REALLY feels like the Cap that we know and love in the comics. In both TFA and Avengers, I loved Cap's portrayel. But, Cap was still finding himself both as a person and as a hero (in TFA, what did the name Captain America mean and what type of hero was he going to be was central to the story, and in Avengers he was measuring himself to other heroes and toward the end you see the confidence come). This really hits me in that ECU on Cap's face when he says that he can't let a lot of people die. THIS is today's Cap. THIS is the Cap that has strived to show people a better way all through his tenure in comics. THIS is the Cap that the Avengers (and everyone else) would fall on a sword for.

Beyond excited

Old 03-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #40
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
The sequence had some fighting beats and stunts that were snipped out from what was shown at D23. Hopefully it will be the full version on the big screen.
Yeah I'm thinking the full scene in the movie will be longer. Hopefully with a shot of him climbing up the boat. You can tell they snipped that out for the clip

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #41
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
This film REALLY feels like the Cap that we know and love in the comics. In both TFA and Avengers, I loved Cap's portrayel. But, Cap was still finding himself both as a person and as a hero (in TFA, what did the name Captain America mean and what type of hero was he going to be was central to the story, and in Avengers he was measuring himself to other heroes and toward the end you see the confidence come). This really hits me in that ECU on Cap's face when he says that he can't let a lot of people die. THIS is today's Cap. THIS is the Cap that has strived to show people a better way all through his tenure in comics. THIS is the Cap that the Avengers (and everyone else) would fall on a sword for.

Beyond excited
Agreed.

You know, I wonder if they intentionally held him back, in terms of how they portrayed his fighting abilities, in "The Avengers" due to the fact that he hadn't received any training regarding the modern day fighting styles and others that have developed since his time frozen away, hence why he's more of a better combative fighter in this film.

I think another good thing about this film is that they don't have to rush in getting Captain America to a certain spot by the end of the film like they did with TFA.

I'm very happy that they kept and even capitalized on Steve's innate goodness and didn't portray or turn him into his "Ultimate" counterpart from the comics after having entered into the modern world.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #42
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Peggy's speech to Cap just feels so sad. It really captures the longing for much simpler era, and the tired resignation of just having to make due in a world of grays

Old 03-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #43
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Agreed.

You know, I wonder if they intentionally held him back, in terms of how they portrayed his fighting abilities, in "The Avengers" due to the fact that he hadn't received any training regarding the modern day fighting styles and others that have developed since his time frozen away, hence why he's more of a better combative fighter in this film.

I think another good thing about this film is that they don't have to rush in getting Captain America to a certain spot by the end of the film like they did with TFA.

I'm very happy that they kept and even capitalized on Steve's innate goodness and didn't portray or turn him into his "Ultimate" counterpart from the comics after having entered into the modern world.
I don't think it was intentional. TFA had phenominal camera work and style. If there is one thing JJ and Whedon struggled with, it was making Cap's fighting style look unique. But, this project just had the right people come along at the right time, who had a vision. But, I too am glad that JJ, Whedon, and the Russos have made sure that if Cap meant and stood for one thing: it was hope. If there is a character that had excuses to quit, it is Cap. He is a man that stared death in the face himself, only to see death take everyone around him and find that the war he was bred for was over, and that the world may not have a place for him. Yet, he finds things to hope for and reasons to fight. His good nature keeps him finding new goals, but he stands for the same thing he always has: hope. So glad they retained this aspect of Cap, as opposed to that thing in the Ultimates called Captain America.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #44
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

A rather dope trailer. Best part of that scene was the fact that there were obviously missing chunks edited out so there's more to come and little has been spoiled! Though the missing foley was kind of weird.

I also like the bit of music at the title drop. Reminded me of a retro video game.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #45
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

It honestly reminded me of Metal Gear Solid. In a very, very good way.

(My husband played all the versions and I loved watching him kick much butt!)

Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #46
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Not sure if it's been posted already, but just in case here's another new TV spot:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Cap and Falcon are awesome

Old 03-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #47
xeno000
Raining hell from above

My Internet connection has been dodgy as hell these last few days so it took me forever to see the extended clip. It was more than worth the wait. This film looks like everything a Captain America film is meant to be. The action in the clip was brilliant, the humor understated and fitting, the performances confident. It's too early for me to say how it will compare to the other films in the MCU, but I expect that it will match The Avengers and Iron Man 1 & 3 in terms of quality.

The way Cap took charge of the mission and laid out every agent's tasks before going in was a reflection of the way he leads in both his own comic book and The Avengers. This is the strategic genius and born leader we all know Steve Rogers to be. Although he showed those abilities in TA and especially CATFS, it looks as if he has really come into his own now.

It was nice to see the playful side of Natasha for once. I love the way she has been portrayed thus far, but she has been grim and no-nonsense to the extreme. Giving her more facets to her personality not only makes her a more relatable character but also fleshes her out into a more "real" woman. When the Black Widow finally gets her solo film (fingers crossed) she'll need to be someone the audience likes and roots for. The way Natasha is shown in TWS will make her much more likable.

The Falcon is so exciting to watch in action. We've only gotten a small glimpse of him yet, but already he's a great addition to the MCU. The design for him is utter perfection, in my opinion. Some may prefer the red-and-white spandex version, but I think that Marvel has chosen the best way to present Sam Wilson on screen. It's not that I'm against the classic design; I collected every single issue of Captain America and The Falcon when I was a kid and always loved the character. The film universe is an entirely different medium with a different visual style, however.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #48
RickCoronel
Side-Kick

That's the spot that was on the Disney site.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #49
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
It honestly reminded me of Metal Gear Solid. In a very, very good way.

(My husband played all the versions and I loved watching him kick much butt!)
It's very much reminiscent of MGS. It's also much like the film I always envisioned back when I was suggesting John McTiernan to direct a Cap movie.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #50
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

A scene with Steve on a therapist couch or disaster confirmed.

Edit: seriously though I think natashas more lighthearted attitude can be attributed to both her making amends in TA and her close working relationship with Steve.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 03-07-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Closed Thread