The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #26
smallville fan
Hero

Default Re: Angry Superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
One of my all time favorite moments in all of Superman lore is "You hurt Lana?!" I want a moment like that, where Superman is just done and he's gonna beat the unholy living **** outta Darkseid or Brainiac.
We pretty much have the potential for that with Cavill's Superman as seen with this scene:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

But people will hate on it and say it isn't in Superman's character for that sort of thing and would cry and petition to everyone for more of this(even though the comics aren't even like that):

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #27
Kato
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
We pretty much have the potential for that with Cavill's Superman as seen with this scene:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

But people will hate on it and say it isn't in Superman's character for that sort of thing and would cry and petition to everyone for more of this(even though the comics aren't even like that):

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Thereīs no such thing as "this isnīt superman". The character changes over the years. Hating on that sort of thing is stupid.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #28
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Thereīs no such thing as "this isnīt superman". The character changes over the years. Hating on that sort of thing is stupid.
I know, but it exists.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #29
The Hill
Frat House Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujho View Post
Argh! The blanket dismissal of this idea is incredibly silly.

We're not talking about making superman constantly pissed off. "Angry" wouldn't a description of his entire personality. It's an emotion, and we all feel it if only momentarily.

Superman getting pissed off is very powerful precisely because he doesn't do it often. It doesn't make him "evil" or "dark" or "edgy" or Wolverine or Batman. It makes him normal. It's completely normal and IN CHARACTER. Happens all the time.

I'm not talking about a berserker rage either. More of a "now you're gonna get it" attitude... because you *know* that if somebody's done something to piss *Superman* off, then it's pretty bad. the Dan Turpin example is a good one. Also the "I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard" moment from Justice League Unlimited. And that allmighty roar of anguish in Superman 1 - how could that moment be any better?

Also, the idea that Darkseid or Doomsday would not "translate all that well onto the big screen" is uterly preposterous. Superman is fantasy, adventure, science fiction, action. People are obsessed with the notion of what will "fit in into Donner/Singer's universe" (insert "Nolan" when talking about Batman) or what would "work on screen", and it's just rubbish, eliminating key aspects of the character or his world because of some arbitrary idea that things can't get too big or outlandish or whatever. Narrowing the scope of what Superman can be. Making Supeman the only extraordinary thing in a mundane world and saying it can't/shouldn't be any other way.

It's just ****ing nonsense - you don't change Superman's world to fit in with Donner or Singer's vision. If anything you change Donner/Singer's world to fit the greater vision of the character, his world and history.

Make Superman a ****ing Space Opera. Make it an epic pulp sci-fi fantasy. Make it anything but saving people from Earthquakes over and over.

I swear some people must *want* Superman to be boring.

Sorry.... went on a tanget there. Back to angry Superman... or rather, Superman getting angry on occasion. When used judiciously (like, once per film/story) there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and would make for a great moment.

Part of the problem is that they never really let Superman fail at saving everyone, so what/who is there to get angry at?
I agree with all of this. In regards to the bold part, it's what justifies a lot of people's arguments of why Superman is OP or a boring boy scout. What's the point in having all that power if it's not tested against the biggest threats. as far as the anger, some people seem to forget Clark was raised as a human, meaning as people have said before, could demonstrate human-like reactions. So what if he gets pissed every once in a while. Wouldn't you in the same scenario? Even Clark has but so much self control.

"Shepard you're missing it! It's Goddamn GLORIOUS! I'm clawing out bodies out here!" Grunt Mass Effect 2
The Hill is offline   Reply With Quote