The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #451
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 16,906
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The circus isn't a dying attraction, they're just not the typical/classical version. Circus du Soleil is a crazy popular event that makes a TON of money annually.

Travesty is online now  
Old 03-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #452
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,495
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think Tim became extremely overrated as Robin, and conceptually, Dick is and always will be the best sidekick/partner Bruce ever had.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #453
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 11,756
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Overrated in what way?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #454
theShape
Creature of Darkness
 
theShape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Inside your mind.
Posts: 11,736
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbottom View Post
I watched it the other day again. I do love the film but for some reason that ending just doesn't sit well with me. I get why they did everything and Bruce got his some what happy ending but I've always hated the idea of someone else being Batman. I don't think the ending is wrong, I think its just that my mental image of Batman never lets go or retires until he is forced to so I don't blame Nolan or think he messed it up, it just doesn't really gel with my version of Batman.

I think the films really underrated though by the fandom these days.
Props to you for being able to admit this. You are a rare breed.

So many people will complain about TDKR's ending, but few will admit that the reason they didn't like it is because they simply feel the same way you do.

__________________
Past the point of no return...
theShape is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #455
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,395
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yeah exactly. So many act high and mighty, like it's a wrong ending. Or Nolan doesn't know Batman. "That's not how the character should be!". But it's just a different interpretation. The fact is, people should say "i dont like this ending". Plain and simple.

shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #456
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,921
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And even fewer will admit that the ending has problems even in the context of the trilogy itself and nothing else.

Shikamaru is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #457
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 16,906
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, that is a reason why some don't like the ending.

Good job at Nolan to try and pull multiple M Night twists, though. Pulled it off nicely.

Travesty is online now  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #458
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,395
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
And even fewer will admit that the ending has problems even in the context of the trilogy itself and nothing else.
Can't admit to something i dont see. I dont see how the ending is a problem.

shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #459
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,921
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Can't admit to something i dont see. I dont see how the ending is a problem.
That's irrelevant.

Regardless whether or not you agree with my point, it doesn't change the fact that it is my point. Thus your whole theory that my whole/main beef with the ending is simply due to my "comic book mind" (for lack of better term) not wanting to see Bruce retire is still wrong.


Last edited by Shikamaru; 03-09-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Shikamaru is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #460
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,395
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well it is. You've said it yourself that you dont see Batman as the type who retires that young, passing it off to a successor. And that it goes against the essence of the character to do so. Nothing was wrong. You're not a Batman writer, nor do you have ownership of the character even if you were. So it comes down to you not liking the ending, because you see Batman ending in a different way. Which is completely reasonable. But that's all it is.

shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #461
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,974
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The problem with TDKR's ending is it contradicts the previous two movies. Bruce never ever intended to retire and pass on the Batman mantle to someone else. Batman was supposed to inspire Gotham's people into rising up out of apathy. Fixing their own city after being inspired by Batman's example that their city doesn't belong to criminals.

TDKR just had him pass the buck to some rookie he hardly knows a day.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #462
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 11,756
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Welcome to the TDKR thread! In today's edition, shauner will maintain that shikamaru has a certain motivation behind his argument despite shika explicitly saying otherwise! Witness shauner's amazing mind-reading powers, better than the most scientific lie detector! Witness that vile shika's argument dismantled by this burst of brilliance! Its another edition of "Straw Man Beeeaaaatdoowwwwnnnn!"

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #463
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 16,906
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -




I think The Phantasm can feel it in his bones and stuff. Boom! Nailed it!!


Travesty is online now  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #464
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,395
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The problem with TDKR's ending is it contradicts the previous two movies. Bruce never ever intended to retire and pass on the Batman mantle to someone else. Batman was supposed to inspire Gotham's people into rising up out of apathy. Fixing their own city after being inspired by Batman's example that their city doesn't belong to criminals.

TDKR just had him pass the buck to some rookie he hardly knows a day.
So if im in my 20s and i come up with a way of doing something but i grow older, and next thing you know im 40 and have gone through all kinds of experiences. Growth happens. Mindsets change. So im 40 and i decide to live my life in a completely new way, maybe even a new set of beliefs for example. But of course im wrong for doing so?

That would be a ridiculous thing to tell me. That im contradicting myself, whether it's true or not, is irrelevant. People grow and learn, and things have to change if you're going to grow.

But Bruce DOES inspire people. Just like he wanted originally. The threat in the Nolanverse starts with organized crime, the corrupt cops. That's what he tries to change. He finally gets every cop in town on his side. They're citizens too. But there's a limit. Criminals will still roam, and not every citizen will stand up. It never will. So Batman has to keep going in some form. Even if it's not physical but as some spirit that watches over the city, reminding everyone of the Batman. But it probably WILL be physical because Blake is there incase.

Bruce realizes that his health, and his future is more important than going out himself until he's in his 50s. He can barely do it now as it is. So he sets up a successor. His future is the most important part though. Alfred reminds him of his humanity, so does Selina.

Bruce Wayne was naive in his 20s. He thought he could fix all of Gotham, and they would all stand up. But life doesn't work that way. It's not just black and white. He grows up and learns through life experiences that there will always be criminality. They will always need some kind of inspiration even when Batman isn't around. So saving Gotham and "dying" in the process is the best way to send that message. Blake is just the insurance policy, and we dont even know if he'll actually go out there. That's actually irrelevant in the grand scheme of everything.

So there is no problem. It comes down to people seeing a certain batman in their mind, agreeing or not agreeing with the end. Nothing more, nothing less.

There is no wrong way of doing it. It's an interpretation, like any interpretation from a comic, cartoon or other Batman movie.

shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #465
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,921
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Shauner, I definitely share some dislike for the ending due to being a Batman fan. However, my main issues with it come first and foremost with it as a sequel to BB/TDK. It just happens that a lot of those same reasons for why I don't think Nolan's Batman would quit are shared with comic book Batman. If there's anything I can highlight as the best thing about the Nolan films (at least the first two), it is the ideas and messages being told about Batman. Why he does what he does, what drives him, what he stands for and is a symbol of, why he doesn't kill or use guns, why he doesn't quit, what separates him from the police and other ordinary men despite having no powers himself, etc.

The very first things I took issues with based on the info released (prior to release) were all sequel-oriented. When I got out of theatres and started ranting, my first complaints were sequel-rooted.

Usually when I take issue with something in terms of taste, I don't spend too much time talking about it. Case in point: Burton's films. I never really cared for them much. I'm not fond of a lot of things he did. Heck, I probably dislike Batman Returns more than TDKR. However, you rarely ever see me bring up Burton's films or in their thread section. That's because most of my beefs with them are taste-oriented. They're just not my thing. I made that clear years ago and then moved on. I used to get in debates over them when I was younger, but later realized how stupid it was.

Another recent Batman example is BvS. I don't comment there anymore unless 1) major news come out or 2) the main speculation thread goes off-topic. I don't like what they're doing and it looks like they're being different just for the sake of being different. However, there's no point for me to be there if I'm just going to stir the pot. Another recent example is the Fantastic Four reboot. Don't really care for the direction, won't spend much time debating over it. I still comment in the FF section every now and then due to the topic being so fresh right now, but I'm nowhere near as involved as with things like TDKR.

One more thing. Regarding TDKR as solely a Batman film (meaning ignoring it as a sequel and stand-alone film), I don't think the ending is wrong. I don't think the interpretation as a whole is wrong. There really can't be a "wrong" interpretation. However, there are interpretations that are silly, poorly thought out, or less interesting and less complex than others. But that doesn't make them wrong at the end of the day.

Shikamaru is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #466
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,395
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To make it as simple as possible. It's not a contradiction. In some ways he succeeds with his plan that he had when he was in his 20s, in other ways he learns that his "goal" back then couldn't realistically be followed through. He grows and learns that he must come up with a different way. Or else the same cycle will be repeated over and over. If he wants to move on, his mindset would have to change from the one he had in his teens, 20s or 30s.

shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #467
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,395
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Shauner, I definitely share some dislike for the ending due to being a Batman fan. However, my main issues with it come first and foremost with it as a sequel to BB/TDK. It just happens that a lot of those same reasons for why I don't think Nolan's Batman would quit are shared with comic book Batman. If there's anything I can highlight as the best thing about the Nolan films (at least the first two), it is the ideas and messages being told about Batman. Why he does what he does, what drives him, what he stands for and is a symbol of, why he doesn't kill or use guns, why he doesn't quit, what separates him from the police and other ordinary men despite having no powers himself, etc.

The very first things I took issues with based on the info released (prior to release) were all sequel-oriented. When I got out of theatres and started ranting, my first complaints were sequel-rooted.

Usually when I take issue with something in terms of taste, I don't spend too much time talking about it. Case in point: Burton's films. I never really cared for them much. I'm not fond of a lot of things he did. Heck, I probably dislike Batman Returns more than TDKR. However, you rarely ever see me bring up Burton's films or in their thread section. That's because most of my beefs with them are taste-oriented. They're just not my thing. I made that clear years ago and then moved on. I used to get in debates over them when I was younger, but later realized how stupid it was.

Another recent Batman example is BvS. I don't comment there anymore unless 1) major news come out or 2) the main speculation thread goes off-topic. I don't like what they're doing and it looks like they're being different just for the sake of being different. However, there's no point for me to be there if I'm just going to stir the pot. Another recent example is the Fantastic Four reboot. Don't really care for the direction, won't spend much time debating over it. I still comment in the FF section every now and then due to the topic being so fresh right now, but I'm nowhere near as involved as with things like TDKR.

One more thing. Regarding TDKR as solely a Batman film (meaning ignoring it as a sequel and stand-alone film), I don't think the ending is wrong. I don't think the interpretation as a whole is wrong. There really can't be a "wrong" interpretation. However, there are interpretations that are silly, poorly thought out, or less interesting and less complex than others. But that doesn't make them wrong at the end of the day.
Thank you, that's all i wanted to hear. I dont mind if you dont like it. But you've said in the past that you thought the ending was wrong, and went against Batman completely. Now you're saying it's not wrong but you just thought it was poorly thought out or whatever. Whatever the case may be, mind changing or what, your beef is that it doesn't flow with the other 2 movies. Joker said the same thing. My previous two posts are my answer to that.

shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #468
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 16,906
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think the ending is wrong.

Travesty is online now  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #469
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,395
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I think the ending is wrong.

shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #470
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 16,906
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Travesty is online now  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #471
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,395
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


shauner111 is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #472
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 16,906
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's a gif off!


Travesty is online now  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #473
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,974
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
So if im in my 20s and i come up with a way of doing something but i grow older, and next thing you know im 40 and have gone through all kinds of experiences. Growth happens. Mindsets change. So im 40 and i decide to live my life in a completely new way, maybe even a new set of beliefs for example. But of course im wrong for doing so?

That would be a ridiculous thing to tell me. That im contradicting myself, whether it's true or not, is irrelevant. People grow and learn, and things have to change if you're going to grow.
Yes, in Bruce's case it's a contradiction because nothing in TDKR shows him have a change of mind about passing the mantle of Batman on, and retiring. Nothing. Unlike in TDK where you see Bruce view Harvey as a potential better symbol of hope than Batman can be, putting him to the test by getting him Lau and seeing if he can get the convictions, throwing him a fundraiser etc.

Where in TDKR do we see him have an attitude change about leaving Batman's mantle to someone else?

Quote:
But Bruce DOES inspire people. Just like he wanted originally. The threat in the Nolanverse starts with organized crime, the corrupt cops. That's what he tries to change. He finally gets every cop in town on his side. They're citizens too. But there's a limit. Criminals will still roam, and not every citizen will stand up. It never will. So Batman has to keep going in some form. Even if it's not physical but as some spirit that watches over the city, reminding everyone of the Batman. But it probably WILL be physical because Blake is there incase.
Gotham City was under siege and threat of nuclear destruction in TDKR, Shauner. The Cops are the only ones you see fight along side him, and that's because they're Cops. It's their job.

The citizens of Gotham are hiding in their houses like frightened sheep. There is no inspiration from Batman to them, other than Foley getting his ass out of his house to join in helping after he turned down Gordon earlier. And he doesn't count because he's a Cop, too.

Quote:
Bruce realizes that his health, and his future is more important than going out himself until he's in his 50s. He can barely do it now as it is. So he sets up a successor. His future is the most important part though. Alfred reminds him of his humanity, so does Selina.
Wrong. Bruce gets himself back into physical shape again in the pit, finds his fear again, and comes back in top fighting form.

Not once do you see him make the realization that he's passed it now as Batman.

Quote:
Bruce Wayne was naive in his 20s. He thought he could fix all of Gotham, and they would all stand up. But life doesn't work that way. It's not just black and white. He grows up and learns through life experiences that there will always be criminality. They will always need some kind of inspiration even when Batman isn't around. So saving Gotham and "dying" in the process is the best way to send that message. Blake is just the insurance policy, and we dont even know if he'll actually go out there. That's actually irrelevant in the grand scheme of everything.
The only naivety Bruce had in his mission was he didn't see the repercussions to his actions as Batman coming. Namely the escalation, the Joker etc.

Leaving his Batman mantle in the hands of a rookie Cop he barely knows from Adam is the most foolish naive thing he's ever done.

Quote:
So there is no problem. It comes down to people seeing a certain batman in their mind, agreeing or not agreeing with the end. Nothing more, nothing less.
It is a problem since it contradicts the mind set and philosophy of the character in the previous two movies.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #474
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,921
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well said, Joker . If there is anything I have to add to add to that, it's the following: There is a difference between a character changing his/her mind and the movie changing its mind. TDK as a film makes it perfectly clear why Bruce won't, can't, and shouldn't quit being Batman. Had Bruce still come to that realization with the film either being more ambiguous about Bruce's change of heart or putting more emphasis in the flaws behind his reasoning, maybe I would have bought it more.

And Shauner, those were separate statements I made. I said the ending was "wrong" because I didn't think it fit in the context of the franchise. And I said it goes against the essence completely because I think it's very poorly thought out. Yes, not everything has to be true to the comics. Heck, Batman as we know him wouldn't exist if deviations from the source were never encouraged. However, there is a difference between deviating for creative/intelligent reasons and being different just for the sake of being different. I think TDKR's ending dumbs down Batman's complex psychology and motivation to "He can just get over it" and robs him of one of his most interesting aspects, but that's something I already discussed. I'm not saying you can't do that, but just because you can change something without anyone stopping you doesn't mean it's a good idea in the first place. And again, that doesn't mean all changes are bad either.

Shikamaru is offline  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #475
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal
 
A Necessary Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,852
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like TDKR ending, but I see why others don't. IMO it doesn't contradict anything from BB/TDK, because he stated on the plane with Alfred that he wanted to be something elemental, a symbol for Gotham. Then in TDK he was willing to give up the mantle of Batman (though not literally) to Harvey's namesake for a happier life. So when he gave it up, I wasn't bothered.


However, it bothers me that Batman was only around for like...a year and a half in the Nolanverse.

__________________
This is my design.

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
A Necessary Evil is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.