The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #326
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Default Re: "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

lol

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #327
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

I'm not understand why Doom has to look "evil" prior to becoming Dr. Doom. That shows a lack of imagination to me, and I don't think the comics really bear that out, either.

If they're smart, they'll cast Eddie Redmayne out of those four. He has incredible range and lots of talent.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:01 AM   #328
DrDoom
Dictator

Glad they're looking at Brits etc. for Doom but none of these guys are big names like they said they were looking for.

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #329
The Overlord
Side-Kick

So I guess they are going with Doom as the villain again?

Hmmm, that has a upside and a downside:

Upside:

Doom is by far their best villain and I would like to see him done well ASAP.

Downside:

They already failed to do Doom well twice. Using Doom as the villain again may be the wrong play, instead of building him up over the course of a couple of movies.

The problem is besides Doom and Galactus, most of the other FF villains are kinda of dull, just gimmicks rather then actual interesting characters. You want a villain who is interesting in his own right, not just some lame place holder, till Dr. Doom, the real villain, arrives later.

If Mole Man is the villain in the first FF movie, he should be interesting in his own right and not just because of his gimmick, but be compelling in his part, which the comic book writers often fail to do. Really the best Mole Man story I ever read was in Daredevil, it seems like the FF writers never want to give him any real depth and just recycle the same old Silver Age stories with him. He needs more then what the FF writers generally give him in the comics, in order to carry a movie. if Mole Man was interesting in his own right, then maybe he could carry a movie, while Doom is built up as a threat in the background.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:24 AM   #330
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
It makes sense they are casting a doom the same age as Miles Teller.
None of those four are the same age as Teller; they're all older.

Gleeson is 30, Kebbell is 31, Redmayne is 32, and Riley is 34.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:16 AM   #331
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Those actors are all wrong. None of them have boobs.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #332
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Clifton View Post
Hello everyone,

I dont post much but after seeing the casting possibilites for Dr. Doom, just wanted to say if it ends up as being Sam Riely, I think a lot of people will be surprised how well he performs in the role. He was amazing in the film Control, a biopic of Joy Division's front man Ian Curtis, truly amazing in the role. I truly believe he would knock this out of the park. But just my opinion!
I agree.

Sam Riley is a underrated actor. He has mostly done Indie films so far but he is in the new Disney Maleficent film that stars Angelina Jolie.

Riley was great in The Brighton Rock remake, psychological superhero film Franklyn, Joy Division film Control, Beat Poet classic On The Road and Seaside Vampire film Byzantium.

Sam Riley can definitely pull off megalomaniac European dictator

Old 03-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #333
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Clifton View Post
Hello everyone,

I dont post much but after seeing the casting possibilites for Dr. Doom, just wanted to say if it ends up as being Sam Riely, I think a lot of people will be surprised how well he performs in the role. He was amazing in the film Control, a biopic of Joy Division's front man Ian Curtis, truly amazing in the role. I truly believe he would knock this out of the park. But just my opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I agree.

Sam Riley is a underrated actor. He has mostly done Indie films so far but he is in the new Disney Maleficent film that stars Angelina Jolie.

Riley was great in The Brighton Rock remake, psychological superhero film Franklyn, Joy Division film Control, Beat Poet classic On The Road and Seaside Vampire film Byzantium.

Sam Riley can definitely pull off megalomaniac European dictator

I know next to nothing about any of these actors, so any info about them that people can post up is appreciated.

As for them being at least close to the same age, I like that detail because hopefully they will tie Reed and Doom together (my fear with a 'big name' was they'd go with an older actor who couldn't have an appropriate origin).

Unfortunately, goat-legged Victor Van Damme was about the same age as Reed in UFF, so we're not safe yet.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 03-12-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #334
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
They already failed to do Doom well twice.
My irrational optimism is trying to convince me that they screwed him up so badly through the first two films that they're running out of options other than to do him right.

Keep in mind, many pointed out that Doom's connection to the FF's accident and his organic powers in the first film were UFF influences, so if they want to avoid retreading old ground, they may be limited. But they certainly haven't come close to doing him right yet, so that could be the 'new' approach in this one.

Hey, I can hope, can't I?

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 03-12-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #335
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

Not that suprising that Fox & Trank are looking at up and coming actors for Doctor Doom as they did for the Fantastic Four. From the list, I would be excited to see either Kebbell or Gleeson get the role. Anyway, I'm happy that we get to know which actors they're eyeing for the villain role so now that die hard fans can slightly settle down as to a female Doctor Doom. Even though personally, I'd be open to that idea.

Sgt.Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #336
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ I wouldn't consider Redmayne 'up and coming', but to each their own.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #337
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

Well, they're all rising ,relatively, young actors. But okay, Redmayne is definitely the most "known" of the bunch but he isn't a household name yet.

Sgt.Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #338
JP
Smelly

I'm seeing so much hate for these 4 guys, but seeing comments about how someone like Benedict Cumberbatch would be amazing... What's the difference between he and these 4? They're all a bunch of 30-something British men with weird names and weird voices.

All of whom happen to be terrific actors.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #339
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
My irrational optimism is trying to convince me that they screwed him up so badly through the first two films that they're running out of options other than to do him right.

Keep in mind, many pointed out that Doom's connection to the FF's accident and his organic powers in the first film were UFF influences, so if they want to avoid retreading old ground, they may be limited. But they certainly haven't come close to doing him right yet, so that could be the 'new' approach in this one.

Hey, I can hope, can't I?
I do wonder if it would be a bit better to slowly introduce Doom over the course of a couple of movies, really build him up as a threat in the background and then introduce him.

However in the first movie, they would need a villain who is interesting in his own right, not just same place holder for Doom, if Mole Man where the villain, he would much stronger writing then he generally gets in the comics.

However going with Doom right away again, gives you fewer places to go, in terms of raising the stakes in a sequel, are they going to do Galactus in the second movie again? Starting with Mole Man and then going to Doom makes sense, going from Doom to Mole Man, seems like really lowering the stakes.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #340
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
I do wonder if it would be a bit better to slowly introduce Doom over the course of a couple of movies, really build him up as a threat in the background and then introduce him.

However in the first movie, they would need a villain who is interesting in his own right, not just same place holder for Doom, if Mole Man where the villain, he would much stronger writing then he generally gets in the comics.

However going with Doom right away again, gives you fewer places to go, in terms of raising the stakes in a sequel, are they going to do Galactus in the second movie again? Starting with Mole Man and then going to Doom makes sense, going from Doom to Mole Man, seems like really lowering the stakes.
I agree. A planned story arc of 3 or 4 films building to Doom and Galactus could be great, but I kind of doubt Fox is playing any kind of long-game.

I have a feeling they'll try to get the biggest bang for the buck out of this film (and that means using the most popular villain in the Marvel Universe rather than holding him for a sequel that may never come). I suspect they'll worry about where to go from there if/when the time comes.

Accountants seem to have as much, if not more say than artists at Fox.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #341
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I'm seeing so much hate for these 4 guys, but seeing comments about how someone like Benedict Cumberbatch would be amazing... What's the difference between he and these 4? They're all a bunch of 30-something British men with weird names and weird voices.

All of whom happen to be terrific actors.
Ha ha, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Old 03-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #342
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree. A planned story arc of 3 or 4 films building to Doom and Galactus could be great, but I kind of doubt Fox is playing any kind of long-game.

I have a feeling they'll try to get the biggest bang for the buck out of this film (and that means using the most popular villain in the Marvel Universe rather than holding him for a sequel that may never come). I suspect they'll worry about where to go from there if/when the time comes.

Accountants seem to have as much, if not more say than artists at Fox.
I understand what Fox is doing they are going with their strongest hand in their first play, after all if the movie doesn't get a sequel, all that build up will be for nothing. But that doesn't leave them many places to go after they use Doom and using Galactus again in the second film would really be retreading old ground.

The problem is, once you get past Dr. Doom, Galactus and Annihilus, the FF rogues gallery starts looking kinda weak. Red Ghost is a generic commie villain, Wizard is a Dr. Doom knock off with lamer tech and lamer motives, Mole Man's monsters are cooler then he is, so he comes across more as a gimmick then a character. I like Mad Thinker but he is rarely written well and let's not even get into Trapster.

You need a villain who is not some place holder for Doom, which means a lot of those FF rogues would need much stronger writing then they get in the comics.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #343
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
I understand what Fox is doing they are going with their strongest hand in their first play, after all if the movie doesn't get a sequel, all that build up will be for nothing. But that doesn't leave them many places to go after they use Doom and using Galactus again in the second film would really be retreading old ground.

The problem is, once you get past Dr. Doom, Galactus and Annihilus, the FF rogues gallery starts looking kinda weak. Red Ghost is a generic commie villain, Wizard is a Dr. Doom knock off with lamer tech and lamer motives, Mole Man's monsters are cooler then he is, so he comes across more as a gimmick then a character. I like Mad Thinker but he is rarely written well and let's not even get into Trapster.

You need a villain who is not some place holder for Doom, which means a lot of those FF rogues would need much stronger writing then they get in the comics.
Well I think one option that could work with a skilled enough writer (and that may be the key no matter what) could be:

1. Doom

2. Annihilus

3. Moleman and Doom return with lead in to

4. Galactus

But, again, that might provide a good story arc, but I can imagine Fox forcing Galactus by the second film for the same reason they're jumping to Doom now.

And they're kind of done after those 4 films, though I doubt anyone even sees it going that long.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #344
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Considering the general contempt they seem to feel toward FF fans, I can imagine them doing a big build up to a cliff-hanger . . .

. . . and then never doing the next film.

"Suck on that, ya lousy fanboys."

Old 03-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #345
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

I'm not familiar with any of these actors, so I'm pleased to hear how talented they are.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #346
Joe Rockhead
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well I think one option that could work with a skilled enough writer (and that may be the key no matter what) could be:

1. Doom

2. Annihilus

4. Galactus

But, again, that might provide a good story arc, but I can imagine Fox forcing Galactus by the second film for the same reason they're jumping to Doom now.

And they're kind of done after those 4 films, though I doubt anyone even sees it going that long.
Although he comes across as somewhat goofy... I think a reworked Molecule Man could be a credible threat on a national or even global scale

And I think that's what's missing with a lot of villains to face the FF, too many that are just bitter rivals looking to take out the FF only.

Joe Rockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #347
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rockhead View Post
Although he comes across as somewhat goofy... I think a reworked Molecule Man could be a credible threat on a national or even global scale

And I think that's what's missing with a lot of villains to face the FF, too many that are just bitter rivals looking to take out the FF only.
Yeah, that is an interesting one, and he was so goofy looking that I think that's part of the reason he never got very popular.

His power would certainly be amongst the most formidable of any Supervillains we've seen so far (except for probably Galactus and we didn't really see much of him).

Does he have too much power? He seemed to have almost limitless power in the early stories I read. Have they toned him back any? I would think some restrictions on his power and/or some very clever writing might be required.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #348
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:

1. Doom

2. Annihilus

4. Galactus

I think Mole Man works best as a starter villain though, rather then a villain introduced in the third movie.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #349
EssayM
Just A Guy

From the brief research I've done, I would say I'm torn between Riley and Kebbell. Gleeson is just too likable and fun, and Redmayne seems kind of bland and limp. Meanwhile, Riley has the perfect voice and persona for it, and Kebbell can do this:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I'm probably leaning more toward Riley, mainly because he has the stronger voice to carry through that faceplate.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #350
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
From the brief research I've done, I would say I'm torn between Riley and Kebbell. Gleeson is just too likable and fun, and Redmayne seems kind of bland and limp. Meanwhile, Riley has the perfect voice and persona for it, and Kebbell can do this:
I can assure you he's not.

Thanks for the Kebbell video.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote