The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America Sequels

Old 03-17-2014, 02:03 AM   #1
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default How can they keep Cap 3 fresh?

Cap 2 is going to be really good and a new way of doing a superhero movie, but how can they keep Cap 3 from feeling like a retread of Cap 2 in terms of tone? The cool thing about Cap 2 is that it's a conspiracy political thriller, i don't think they can go with that angle again in Cap 3 without it feeling like a retread.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

Default Re: How can they keep Cap 3 fresh?

I liked the suggestion of someone else who floated the idea of an adaptation of The Bloodstone Hunt, with it being a cross of Indiana Jones treasure-hunting and James Bond globetrotting with HYDRA playing spoiler in that chase.

That way you could use another traditional Cap villain like Zemo and potentially expand on Crossbones as adversaries who stand in his way. It's hard to say, but from all the positive buzz surrounding TWS, I have complete faith in the Russos to nail the third installment too.

H.U.S.T.L.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

double post, sorry

Last edited by H.U.S.T.L.E.; 03-18-2014 at 01:16 PM.
H.U.S.T.L.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Re: How can they keep Cap 3 fresh?

Keep him on ice?(It worked for 70 odd years)

Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
HoochRosevelt

I really liked the Ultimate Red Skull being his unknown child. The kid was groomed and trained by Shield but eventually went crazy and carved off his own face. It would be a cool twist if they Pulp Fiction the narrative and make it rated R. Just a thought.

HoochRosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:09 AM   #6
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Different country - say England or France. Introduction of Union Jack, kin of Falsworth from TFA. Romance subplot with Sharon. Mostly absent of SHIELD ties. New villains such as Crossbones, etc.

I'm not too worried about them not being able to keep the franchise fresh. Especially with the Winter Soldier character not fully developed yet.

GL: 4/10. SR: 6.5/10. BB: 8/10. TDK: 9/10. TDKR: 5/10. MOS: 6/10.

SM: 8/10. SM2: 7/10. SM3: 4/10. TASM: 6.5/10 TASM2: 6/10.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.U.S.T.L.E. View Post
I liked the suggestion of someone else who floated the idea of an adaptation of The Bloodstone Hunt, with it being a cross of Indiana Jones treasure-hunting and James Bond globetrotting with HYDRA playing spoiler in that chase.

That way you could use another traditional Cap villain like Zemo and potentially expand on Crossbones as adversaries who stand in his way. It's hard to say, but from all the positive buzz surrounding TWS, I have complete faith in the Russos to nail the third installment too.
I'll take this route.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
antonydelfini
Quiver

Red Menace and 21st century Blitz Brubaker adaptation would be good.

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:51 AM   #9
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

To keep it fresh, I guess he needs a new set of supporting characters but obviously, some familiar supporting characters should comeback. And how about Captain America works for himself like from the start of the movie like no taking orders from Shield or the U.S. government.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
The Englishman
Marching On Together

I want to see Cap and Falcon Team up with Union Jack and Spitfire in the next one...

The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

They should pair him up with his Australian counterpart, "Jarhead Down Under"

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Enriquespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #12
CinematicESP
Side-Kick

I definitely think it needs to have a different tone and "genre," to make each movie in the trilogy distinct. I like the idea of an Indiana Jones/Bond-like adventure. Perhaps they could push the techno-thriller elements of TWS even further, making it almost futuristic with even more advanced technology. So each film could sort of represent Past, Present and Future or something.

CinematicESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #13
venom892
Got Lucky

I'm hoping Falcon will come back, loved his bromance with Cap. I'd be ok with Widow not coming back. Crossbones being paired with Sin or Zemo would be awesome.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Maybe introduce a heroic supporting character who Steve might clash with on ideological grounds? Like Josiah X, for example. Have him join up with Steve and Sam and butt heads with them over their respective world views, with Josiah being super cynical about what America stands for, Steve being super optimistic, and Sam resting somewhere in between. Might make the cast a little cluttered, I don't know. I just mostly like the character and would love to see him in a movie.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
marcvader
Lurker #1

So after having read some comments made by the Russo's regarding the end of TWS it appears to me thst this was just an intro to Winter Soldier/Bucky and that Cap 3 will explore his situation further. While i thought they did an awesome job portraying him and found him interesting i kind of want to move on into other Cap lore and not make this TWS 2: The Search for Bucky.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #16
Loki882
Side-Kick

Well they also mentioned crazy 50's Cap in a recent interview, so I'm not sure that they've worked out the story 100% at this point. If the first movie was a throwback to 1940's serials and this one was a political thriller, then maybe to keep things fresh, they could make Cap 3 more sci-fi in nature. Sort of like how in the comics we went from Brubaker's political/espionage stuff to Remender's current more sci-fi tone.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:00 AM   #17
CinematicESP
Side-Kick

Am I the only one that thinks they mentioned psycho 50's Cap as a joke?

CinematicESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 AM   #18
fangz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinematicESP View Post
Am I the only one that thinks they mentioned psycho 50's Cap as a joke?
could've been a joke, or just a casual mention of one way they were thinking of taking it. but no reason to really think it was a joke either.

lots of ways they could tie some of that stuff into things. I took it more as a sign that they aren't afraid to go deep, and to get into some of the weirder aspects that have always existed in Cap comics.

I think Zemo is almost a must, and also Winter Soldier's return and evolution as a character, but under what circumstances, in what setting? there's really a ton of ways to go with Cap. his history is pretty bizarre and chock full of strange sci-fi, pulp, horror, psychedelic weirdness. and i think the last thing anyone would want... Marvel Studios or the writers and directors, would be another try at a straight political thriller.

i'm hoping the third one goes Into The Weirdness. keeping things serious, but feeling more like a more personal, psychological horror film rather than what worked so well in Cap 2. keep it smaller and isolated, i guess is part of what i mean.

i like the idea of Cap maybe starting the movie out, taking off the uniform, and jumping on his bike and going out into America to find himself again. But quickly finding that you can never "find" yourself, that yourself will always catch up with u, and have him plunged right back into the thick of it all.

fangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #19
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Keeping Cap fresh is easy.

Open up with Cap running after Crossbones/badass #5 and then getting ambushed and about to get swamped when 'BLAM BLAM BLAM!' sniper fire, it's Bucky, saving him yet again! Cap tries to give chase to Bucky, but he gets away, meanwhile the CIA are there, and they're upset with Cap because he just busted up a big sting on The Winter Soldier, Crossbones is sent back to jail (he escapes). They're looking for a Madame HYDRA or something. Cap is brought in as their Winter Soldier expert, and Agent 13 is assigned as his handler. Cap brings in Falcon as his air support, and together they find out... Black Widow already found Bucky, she's helping him get away, and she gets captured!? It turns out Bucky is trying to stop this fiasco, and along with Cap ends up facing off with William Burnside who is planning to send America to the stone age to bring back the good old days of the 1950s. Shades of Nuke as well as Grand Director.

So to keep it fresh - Twist: Bucky is hunting down bad guys on his own. Twist: Burnside was Captain America, even 'Steve Rogers' specifically. Twist: Madame HYDRA is just a teenage girl who does whatever Burnside says. Twist: Black Widow is working with Bucky. Twist: Black Widow is sleeping with Bucky. Twist: Steve has to go to Peggy's funeral, but Agent 13 is there, cuz that was her aunt! Twist: Burnside isn't working with a chemical weapon, he's working with a cosmic infinity stone! Twist: This 80 year old man can go toe to toe with Captain America (Stephen Lang, maybe?). Twist: Bucky takes up Captain America's mantle to cover for Steve who, as Steve, goes head to head with William for the title, for the soul of America, for the time gem, for everything. They might even battle through time, or something high concept like that.

Time Travel. Spy Twists. Out of Time.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #20
starwolf_oakley
Side-Kick

Keeping Cap fresh can be done with a few psychological terror elements, with Steve wondering if the Super Soldier Serum is finally driving him crazy. Dr. Faustus or Karla Sofen (Moonstone) as a foe could work in that regard.

What if Captain America became as angry as Batman, even for a little while? I would like to see Steve Rogers go near-berserk with rage towards an enemy.

starwolf_oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #21
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Different country - say England or France. Introduction of Union Jack, kin of Falsworth from TFA. Romance subplot with Sharon. Mostly absent of SHIELD ties. New villains such as Crossbones, etc.

I'm not too worried about them not being able to keep the franchise fresh. Especially with the Winter Soldier character not fully developed yet.
I love this idea. Definitely take Steve over to the uk for a bit. Even germany again but spend more time there to show Steve doesn't think all Germans are bad

I'm just going to trust the russos. I think they know how to keep it fresh

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #22
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

I like the idea of a spy-tech thriller like James Bond but more… advanced? I think they'll be able to incorporate the search for Bucky with whatever McGuffin (another Infinity Stone?), in fact, I expect Bucky to be on some sort of path of revenge against HYDRA, which will lead the CIA and Cap and Sam to intersect with him.

Crossbones will likely be working with whomever the big bad is, and maybe Sin. So thirsty for Sin to show up in this!

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #23
Silvermoth
Avenger

Yeah, sin is on a lot of peoples lips I think. It would be great to see a female super villain with an ideology beyond looking young or being jealous

Old 04-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #24
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

As someone kinda unfamiliar with the character, what does she want? To re-introduce the Red Skull/HYDRA/Nazism/whatever into the world?

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #25
Silvermoth
Avenger

She's an anarchist. She revels in destruction, particularly in maiming innocents. She's the only one of captain Americas rogues I can think of that's as cruel as the red skull