The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

View Poll Results: How would you rate Ultimate Spider-Man? (pre-Miles Morales)
5/5 22 51.16%
4/5 15 34.88%
3/5 2 4.65%
2/5 3 6.98%
1/5 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #151
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

Default Re: Ultimate Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
If I remember correctly, that volume was good (I don't think it was anything spectacular, but its certainly one of the better story arcs of USM).

The first 39 issues of USM are just so solid… that was the best of not only USM, but Ultimate Marvel in general.
Cool. It's real short too so.
Yeah I haven't read much other Ultimate stuff but everyone knows the first issues of USM were magic.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #152
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Those early issues of USM could be directly adapted into a film.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #153
\S/
The Real Steel Deal

I understand that some folks didn't care for USM. To me, it hit at the absolute right time.

I'd given up on the 616 Spidey titles and was bummed by the direction they were taking at the time. Then Ultimate hit, and everything worked for me: Bagley's art, which I'd always loved, a new continuity, but most of all, teenaged Peter Parker written in a smart, snappy, and relatable style.

Bendis became one of my favorite writers, and I still think his best work is with teenaged characters. Never before had I laughed out loud so many times when reading a comic, while also being moved.

I'm also in the middle of re-reading the issues. The series works best overall in collected form. There's a great rhythm and pace at work that you miss with the monthlies, which I collected and always read first when new comics were released.

I'm sorry to see that Peter Parker is gone, as I personally think the 616 Spidey and his status/world is a disaster. I'd return to the book if Peter was brought back and Bagley returned, but since that's not likely to happen, I at least have the back issues.

Bendis and Bagley's USM was more faithful to the heart and soul of Peter Parker and his world than the 616 stories have been in a very long time.

\S/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #154
THUNDERSTRIKE
WHY SO SERIOUS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/ View Post
I understand that some folks didn't care for USM. To me, it hit at the absolute right time.

I'd given up on the 616 Spidey titles and was bummed by the direction they were taking at the time. Then Ultimate hit, and everything worked for me: Bagley's art, which I'd always loved, a new continuity, but most of all, teenaged Peter Parker written in a smart, snappy, and relatable style.

Bendis became one of my favorite writers, and I still think his best work is with teenaged characters. Never before had I laughed out loud so many times when reading a comic, while also being moved.

I'm also in the middle of re-reading the issues. The series works best overall in collected form. There's a great rhythm and pace at work that you miss with the monthlies, which I collected and always read first when new comics were released.

I'm sorry to see that Peter Parker is gone, as I personally think the 616 Spidey and his status/world is a disaster. I'd return to the book if Peter was brought back and Bagley returned, but since that's not likely to happen, I at least have the back issues.

Bendis and Bagley's USM was more faithful to the heart and soul of Peter Parker and his world than the 616 stories have been in a very long time.
well said on all of the above... I was a HUGE fan of the USM series from the start of Bagley and Bendis' run all the way to the end of their collaboration... once Stuart Immonen came on board, I stayed on for about a couple of more issues before I dropped the book completely... I guess I was too spoiled for Bagley's art and no one else's work could cut it for me... I remember when I first heard of USM about to be launched, I really had my doubts, but with the very first issue, I was hooked and enjoyed the entire run, despite whatever very few misfires may have cropped up every so often... I never cared for or gave a damn for yet ANOTHER pretender to the Spider-Man name in Miles Morales, much as I consider Otto Octavius over in the 616 universe as a pretender to what is not rightfully is, nor ever WILL be... as far as I'M concerned, Miles and Otto are mere shadows to the real deal, Pete Parker, the one true original Spider-Man, 696 AND Ultimate... despite Peter being killed off in the Ultimate universe, he still lives on in my memories and in my Ultimate hardcover collection...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
So falls Zenhnc Dee'Ya, the unstable B***hQueen, and
El-Yha, her kiss-ass and Sleez, her ancient and savage Over
Seer.
The B***h lies in the guise of her deceptive words and lies helpless in the ruin of her useless life, unable to save herself.
None are so blind to the obvious truth than the misled travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.

T-YA'LYZ
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #155
Picard Sisko

I feel like when a writer stays on a project for too long, he starts to lose his touch. Bendis did a fantastic job with USM, but after the relaunch, I feel like he didn't know what direction to go in. In turn, he killed off Peter Parker and gave us a new Spider-Man. I would have preferred if Bendis left and a new writer came in to continue the stores of Peter Parker, but what's done is done.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 02-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #156
Picard Sisko

One thing I give USM credit for is taking one of the worst story arcs in TASM, The Clone Saga, and turning it into a really good story for the Ultimate universe.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #157
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

Quote:
One thing I give USM credit for is taking one of the worst story arcs in TASM, The Clone Saga, and turning it into a really good story for the Ultimate universe.
True this. Haven't read the original Clone Saga but I could see where he implemented certain factors into the ultimate universe.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #158
THUNDERSTRIKE
WHY SO SERIOUS?

Quote:
agreed... I enjoyed the Ultimate version a whole lot better than the 616 convoluted mess...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
So falls Zenhnc Dee'Ya, the unstable B***hQueen, and
El-Yha, her kiss-ass and Sleez, her ancient and savage Over
Seer.
The B***h lies in the guise of her deceptive words and lies helpless in the ruin of her useless life, unable to save herself.
None are so blind to the obvious truth than the misled travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.

T-YA'LYZ
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #159
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko-Ray View Post
True this. Haven't read the original Clone Saga but I could see where he implemented certain factors into the ultimate universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post
agreed... I enjoyed the Ultimate version a whole lot better than the 616 convoluted mess...
It streamlined the clone saga into an easy 6 or 7 issues and made some good creative changes.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #160
Spooderman
Side-Kick

I read the first 13 issues. It was alright, but unnecessarily disgusting.

I don't really like how Norman and Peter know their secret identities from the get go. It won't create much tension later.

Also, I think they waster Fredrick Foswell, who had quite a story arc in the 616 universe. They should have just made him a different character.

Also, I voted 1/5 rashly thinking this was the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon thread. Can I undo that?

Spooderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #161
Picard Sisko

Unnecessarily disgusting? What? The fact that Norman knew Peter's identity created even MORE tension. But oh well, to each their own.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #162
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Unnecessarily disgusting? What?
Like when Peter puked after being bitten. Gross.

Quote:
The fact that Norman knew Peter's identity created even MORE tension. But oh well, to each their own.
I think learning about their identities, and having to hide it before that makes for a better story.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #163
Picard Sisko

People throw up, and it's a part of life. The spider bite and the oz serum entering Peter's system was probably a shock to his body. I don't think throwing up was "unnecessarily disgusting."

And Norman knowing Peter's identity made him an even greater threat from the start.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #164
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Quote:
People throw up, and it's a part of life. The spider bite and the oz serum entering Peter's system was probably a shock to his body. I don't think throwing up was "unnecessarily disgusting."
Considering he didn't puke in Amazing Fantasy #15, yeah it was.

Quote:
And Norman knowing Peter's identity made him an even greater threat from the start.
But that doesn't mean it's a better story. I'd rather have them try to find out who they are.

Also who's idea was it to make Norman a half-orc half-human torch? That was a terrible idea.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #165
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooderman View Post
Considering he didn't puke in Amazing Fantasy #15, yeah it was.

But that doesn't mean it's a better story. I'd rather have them try to find out who they are.

Also who's idea was it to make Norman a half-orc half-human torch? That was a terrible idea.
Ultimate wasn't written in the 60s and it shouldn't censor itself to feel like it was. It's very plausible someone would puke if they were bitten by a radioactive spider. So anything you personally find a little icky is "unnecessary?"

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #166
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
It's very plausible someone would puke if they were bitten by a radioactive spider.
It's plausible, but that doesn't mean they should have gone with it.

Quote:
So anything you personally find a little icky is "unnecessary?"
The only point of that scene was to be icky.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #167
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:

Or, to show how sick the bite was making Peter and how potentially dangerous his situation was.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #168
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Maybe you should re-read the comic again. I don't think Brian Michael Bendis just wanted to be "icky." lol

Old 03-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #169
Dan Ketch
Side-Kick

Quote:

What is GremlinZilla89 like 11 years old? Grow up...

Dan Ketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #170
Picard Sisko

Ultimate Spider-Man volume 1 on it's own feels like it could have been a movie.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #171
Lord
All Mighty

Didn't they take elements from Ultimate for the movies though?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #172
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Didn't they take elements from Ultimate for the movies though?
Yes, but what I mean is that Ultimate Spider-Man volume 1 feels like it could directly transfer to film without major changes. It feels like Brian Michael Bendis wrote a script for a Spider-Man film that was just turned straight into a graphic novel.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #173
KaineMorrison
ben_reilly_s_s

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ultimate
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Peter Parker
is
back
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #174
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineMorrison View Post
WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ultimate
Peter Parker
is
back
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait.. what?! HOW?!?! Link?!!?!

Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #175
KaineMorrison
ben_reilly_s_s

No link.
Read Ultimate Spider-Man "#200"

KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote