The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: I feel that the ACA is...
a positive thing for the country 8 12.12%
mostly positive 13 19.70%
I am indifferent/neutral to it. 3 4.55%
mostly negative 13 19.70%
terrible 23 34.85%
I need to wait and see. 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #976
dnno1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Survey: Uninsured rate drops; health law cited
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/surve...alth-law-cited

Old 03-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #977
dnno1
Side-Kick

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/18e...t-barack-obama

Old 03-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #978
SV Fan
Side-Kick

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2vfnpAVZd

Quote:
Dexter cancer patient who called health care 'unaffordable' will save more than $1K

A Dexter cancer patient featured in a conservative group’s TV ad campaign denouncing her new health care coverage as “unaffordable” willsave more than $1,000 this year.

Julie Boonstra, 49, starred last month in an emotional television ad sponsored by Americans for Prosperity that implied Democratic U.S. Rep. Gary Peters’ vote for the Affordable Care Act made her medication so “unaffordable” she could die. Peters of Bloomfield Township is running for an open U.S. Senate seat against Republican Terri Lynn Land.

The Detroit News and fact checkers last month cast doubt on the accuracy of the TV ad. On Monday, Boonstra acknowledged which health plan she chose, offering the first evidence of cost savings.

Boonstra said Monday her new plan she dislikes is the Blue Cross Premier Gold health care plan, which caps patient responsibility for out-of-pocket costs at $5,100 a year, lower than the federal law’s maximum of $6,350 a year. It means the new plan will save her at least $1,200 compared with her former insurance plan she preferred that was ended under Obamacare’s coverage requirements.
Why are all these Koch brothers ads so full of crap? (this is the 3rd Americans for Prosperity ad that has been proven false)

I believe you probably could find some legit ads of people paying more money for insurance but it seems they love finding these sad sack stories then when you look further it seems like Obamacare will benefit them(because older sick people might appeal to people who the ads are targeted at then having a 27-40 year old complaining he is paying more for healthcare to benefit older sick people)

Last edited by SV Fan; 03-12-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #979
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
That was pretty damn hilarious.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #980
Figs
Banned User

Old 03-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #981
dnno1
Side-Kick

Pretty entertaining. This is Dr. Danielle Martin, vice president at the Women's College Hospital in Toronto. She totally schooled Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) on health care this past Tuesday:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 03-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #982
dnno1
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 03-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #983
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Survey: Uninsured rate drops; health law cited
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/surve...alth-law-cited
What!? You are saying that the uninsured rate is dropping because of a law that was passed that said if you don't get insurance then you get fined? Who would have ever saw that coming?????????????????????????

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #984
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

It's almost like, if you don't give people a choice, then they'll do what you say.

Or if you make them an offer they can't refuse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #985
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
What!? You are saying that the uninsured rate is dropping because of a law that was passed that said if you don't get insurance then you get fined? Who would have ever saw that coming?????????????????????????
A lot of people on this thread (including you) were saying that you would just pay the fine since it was cheaper. I guess you were wrong.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #986
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm not sure people only getting insurance because they're being fined for not getting it is cause for celebration.

Sounds like a pretty hollow "victory" to me.

Also, the government has no right to do this.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #987
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
I'm not sure people only getting insurance because they're being fined for not getting it is cause for celebration.

Sounds like a pretty hollow "victory" to me.

Also, the government has no right to do this.
The truth of the matter is that people are not getting health insurance solely because they want to avoid a fine. The majority of them want and need health insurance and now they are signing up because the either can afford it now, or can not be denied because of their condition. Of course there are those who will op to pay the penalty, but that number is a lot smaller than some folks were predicting.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #988
summerteeth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
That graph seems rather unimpressive doesn't it? It shows that the uninsured rate returned to the level it was in 2012 plus or minus 1%. Their evidence for Obamacare helping reduce the rate of the uninsured was...

Quote:
Gallup said the drop coincides with the start of coverage under the health care law on Jan. 1. The major elements are now in effect.
Well in that case what was the spike in the uninsured rate between 2012 and 2013 all about? With that same logic I would say that it might have been caused by the onset of Obamacare. Granted it is too early to say either way if Obamacare has had an effect, but sometimes I wonder if people even look at the data or if they just read a headline and run with it. Keep in mind also that we will see a reduction in the uninsured rate because the economy is improving.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #989
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerteeth View Post
That graph seems rather unimpressive doesn't it? It shows that the uninsured rate returned to the level it was in 2012 plus or minus 1%. Their evidence for Obamacare helping reduce the rate of the uninsured was...

Well in that case what was the spike in the uninsured rate between 2012 and 2013 all about? With that same logic I would say that it might have been caused by the onset of Obamacare. Granted it is too early to say either way if Obamacare has had an effect, but sometimes I wonder if people even look at the data or if they just read a headline and run with it. Keep in mind also that we will see a reduction in the uninsured rate because the economy is improving.
There are a number of reasons why there was a spike from 2012-2013. The fact that some employers moved employee to part-time status and that there were people who lost their jobs over the time period that are a couple. The thing is that those gains in uninsured (which took close to a year to achieve) were eliminated over the course of 3 months. Why? because people knew that they had a deadline to meet to sign up for insurance.

Last edited by dnno1; 03-18-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #990
summerteeth
Side-Kick

Quote:
There are a number of reasons why there was a spike from 2012-2013. The fact that some employers moved employee to part-time status and that there were people who lost their jobs over the time period that are a couple.
Unemployment went down over that period so that shouldn't be seeing in increase in the uninsured. The part time workers is in large part due to obamacare. Basically what happened was Obamacare was a large contributor in the spike of uninsured between 2012-2013 and once it was fully implemented it people who lost their insurance (because of reduced hours) could now sign up for obamacare did. So really Obamacare had no effect so far on the uninsured rate.

Only 14% of those signing up were previously uninsured.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...red-enrollees/

Old 03-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #991
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerteeth View Post
Unemployment went down over that period so that shouldn't be seeing in increase in the uninsured. The part time workers is in large part due to obamacare. Basically what happened was Obamacare was a large contributor in the spike of uninsured between 2012-2013 and once it was fully implemented it people who lost their insurance (because of reduced hours) could now sign up for obamacare did. So really Obamacare had no effect so far on the uninsured rate.

Only 14% of those signing up were previously uninsured.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...red-enrollees/
You won't necessarily see in increase in insured because of an increase in employment, first of all no one was mandated to have health insurance during that time period (2012-2012 -- even a large number of employers got a waiver) and you also had that number countered by a decrease in government workers (whom we know had healthcare benefits). The difference between now and then is that we have a mandate and (as it turns out) people are willing to sign up (as opposed to what some people on this thread speculated wouldn't happen).

Old 03-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #992
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
A lot of people on this thread (including you) were saying that you would just pay the fine since it was cheaper. I guess you were wrong.
The administration is currently under what they have for a goal to reach to make it cost effective...so apparently I'm not.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #993
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:

I will pay a fine though. I only work 16 hours a week still, and can't find a second or new job. My interview at Walmart last tuesday...never got call back interview, so bombed it.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #994
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Pretty funny story here

http://wonkette.com/544657/scott-bro...oves-obamacare

Quote:
Scott Brown Gets His Mouth Shut For Him By Republican Who Loves Obamacare

Scott Brown just knows that you can’t go wrong slagging on Obamacare, because it’s unaffordable and doesn’t work. This is just a given. And so maybe Brown wasn’t quite ready for the reaction he got when he was visiting with New Hampshire state Rep. Herb Richardson, and Brown said that Obamacare was a “monstrosity” that nobody read before passing it, and also executive orders and tyranny and stuff. But instead of nodding and endorsing his (exploratory) Senate bid on the spot, Richardson and his wife Rita explained that the ACA had actually saved their bacon after he was injured on the job and living on Worker’s Comp. The Coos County Democrat reports,

Richardson was injured on the job and was forced to live on his workers’ comp payments for an extended period of time, which ultimately cost the couple their house on Williams Street. The couple had to pay $1,100 a month if they wanted to maintain their health insurance coverage under the federal COBRA law.

Richardson said he only received some $2,000 a month in workers’ comp. payments, however, leaving little for them to live on.

“Thank God for Obamacare!” his wife exclaimed.

Now, thanks to the subsidy for which they qualify, the Richardsons only pay $136 a month for health insurance that covers them both.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #995
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
I will pay a fine though. I only work 16 hours a week still, and can't find a second or new job. My interview at Walmart last tuesday...never got call back interview, so bombed it.
Shoulda told em you were on gov. assistance,they would have hired you on the spot

Old 03-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #996
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
I would not be surprised that you would be qualified for Medicaid. You should look into that.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #997
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
It's almost like, if you don't give people a choice, then they'll do what you say.

Or if you make them an offer they can't refuse...
You're right, that is a problem.

That's why they should have simply removed the "over 65" part of Medicare.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #998
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Whelp, problem #?????? I stopped counting.

Another glitch shows that the information being giving on the exemptions has been using the wrong year for its calculation and has been giving out screwed up choices to people on the website.

*shakes head*

Old 03-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #999
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Another glitch shows that the information being giving on the exemptions has been using the wrong year for its calculation and has been giving out screwed up choices to people on the website.
This is seriously just ridiculous.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #1000
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
I would not be surprised that you would be qualified for Medicaid. You should look into that.

It's fine.

Closed Thread