The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #976
anonomissx
Testy chick from Vegas

Th Cool Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread - Part 5

Love it when my tablet double posts (yes, blaming the tablet...)

Last edited by anonomissx; 03-21-2014 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Double posts are Fail.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #977
batboy99
BTVS

Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread - Part 5

Edit

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #978
batboy99
BTVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
No gold! Silver is much better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
I love the gold but I think the silver or "white" metal look is much more "otherworldly looking." I like both but would be happy to see the silver.
How so?

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #979
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

How about these shoulder straps? she looks good. But the question here? with what kind of material? And the shorts with "skirt" it's really interesting.

Change the colors and it will be interesting. However it's kind of much clothing?

On this you can notice the nice detail that is not straps but a different take on holding the top of Wondy and it's kind of good. For the silver fans. While I'm a more gold and silver bracelets fan I think this looks awesome. Also for the pants fans. while I'm also a skirt pro, I don't think pants will take out Wondys magic in a possible improvement from his first suit.

Last edited by John-An; 03-21-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #980
roach
I am the night

My last post in this thread:

I feel as if this thread gets into heated debates because the two sides aren't even debating the same thing. We have a side who wants WW to get an updated costume because they feel the comic costume is sexist. I get that. They way some artist draw it makes it look very sexist. Then there are the fans who want WW to look like WW. It's not that they are sexist or hate women...they just want comic book characters to look like the comic book characters. They would be arguing this if it was any other character male or female.

The name calling (from both sides) does not help the arguments (for or against). Non-Classics: A lot of wrong was done to women and continue to do so. However...not every guy that wants to see the classic costume a raging rape machine only intent on seeing T&A.
Classics: Costumes change when they come to screen. Deal with it.

Drops mic...

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #981
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ THIS!

Are there a lot of guys who secretly want WW to be sexualized? Yes. But does this mean that costume purists should not be given the benefit of a doubt?

I think it's more complicated than wanting swimwear bottoms to the costume. I think there are people who read into an element of characterization that doesn't necessarily have to be tied down to the costume, but at the same time, I don't want WW sporting a disco jumpsuit.

I want the costume to be a "soft reimagining" like the MOS suit. It still has the basic elements, cape/embelm/color and is similar enough in structure to have that Superman quality, but is more durable and alien. For WW, I'd want something similar, something that emphasizes the Themyscarian origins while feeling practical.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #982
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-An View Post

On this you can notice the nice detail that is not straps but a different take on holding the top of Wondy and it's kind of good. For the silver fans. While I'm a more gold and silver bracelets fan I think this looks awesome. Also for the pants fans. while I'm also a skirt pro, I don't think pants will take out Wondys magic in a possible improvement from his first suit.
There are things I like about it, but I don't like how the pants look somewhat rigid and armourized. It reminds me of the new52 supes suit and that's never a good thing.

\S/T*
Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #983
batboy99
BTVS

I think some people go a bit too sci fi with their redesigns.

Regarding the chest pieces extending over her arms, it looks really cool, but it's probably the most impractical thing, ever. If its a solid material like gold, silver, or some type of metal, she wouldn't be able to raise her arms past a certain point.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #984
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I think I prefer gold and bronze for the metal too. Looks richer than silver to me.

\S/T*
Old 03-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #985
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
There are things I like about it, but I don't like how the pants look somewhat rigid and armourized. It reminds me of the new52 supes suit and that's never a good thing.
What about the top of the above art and this belt and pants?
Also this is kinda good.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #986
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ That's a great costume. Maybe just a couple less loops in the straps.

\S/T*
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #987
batboy99
BTVS

Quote:
I think I prefer gold and bronze for the metal too. Looks richer than silver to me.
Agreed! Definitely looks richer. I dont mind the silver but it gives me a very 90's feel. Like, very flashy. Gold looks more ''classy'' and royal.
Quote:
What about the top of the above art and this pants?
Also this is kinda good.
Man how I wish they never included the jacket in that redesign. It would have been praised a lot more and probably have lasted longer. I actually loveeeeee the 3 straps.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #988
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I agree. That design looks great without the jacket. The gold and red is really striking.

\S/T*
Old 03-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #989
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonomissx View Post
Well, I did post a quick drawing of my concept. Wondy has white trimed leather shorts, and red shoulder armor attached to the chest piece:

I also slightly modified a design from a much better artist, to show a glamorous version with sexy, functional straps:

Edit: red boots with this toe shape but a bit lower heel woul be my preference. I'm a bit torn on what length. (and a proper link for the picture I found, grrr!)
I don't think high heels or even heels make sense if you want her to fight as an expert warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
If we have shoulder straps, I would prefer them to integrate properly with the rest of the design. Perhaps the wings of the chest eagle could extend to loop over the shoulders, with straps draping over the upper arms, mirroring the battle skirt.
Agreed. something like this? I'm only talking about the connection of the shoulder and the top.

Quote:
That sounds lovely. I wish there was an image of that to look at.

Like these? notice the original but if instead of shirt it would be complete clothing covering her middle section....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ THIS!

Are there a lot of guys who secretly want WW to be sexualized? Yes. But does this mean that costume purists should not be given the benefit of a doubt?

I think it's more complicated than wanting swimwear bottoms to the costume. I think there are people who read into an element of characterization that doesn't necessarily have to be tied down to the costume, but at the same time, I don't want WW sporting a disco jumpsuit.

I want the costume to be a "soft reimagining" like the MOS suit. It still has the basic elements, cape/embelm/color and is similar enough in structure to have that Superman quality, but is more durable and alien. For WW, I'd want something similar, something that emphasizes the Themyscarian origins while feeling practical.
THIS THIS AND THIS. This is exaclty what I want for Wondy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy99 View Post
I think some people go a bit too sci fi with their redesigns.

Regarding the chest pieces extending over her arms, it looks really cool, but it's probably the most impractical thing, ever. If its a solid material like gold, silver, or some type of metal, she wouldn't be able to raise her arms past a certain point.

In this case the shoulder pads could have kind of mobility. Also this whereas is not connected it's designed as a whole. (the top piece I'm refering to)

Quote:
Agreed! Definitely looks richer. I dont mind the silver but it gives me a very 90's feel. Like, very flashy. Gold looks more ''classy'' and royal.
Man how I wish they never included the jacket in that redesign. It would have been praised a lot more and probably have lasted longer. I actually loveeeeee the 3 straps.
I like the costume too!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #990
anonomissx
Testy chick from Vegas

Th Cool Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread - Part 5

Quote:
I don't think high heels or even heels make sense if you want her to fight as an expert warrior.
The heel is low to begin with, and I did say "a bit lower". So I am stating it would be a nice shape for the toe area but with a lower heel...think perhaps like a cowboy boot type heel. Sorry to confuse.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #991
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I am hoping Snyder gives us a WW that DOESN'T fight crime in high heels of any kind.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #992
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonomissx View Post
The heel is low to begin with, and I did say "a bit lower". So I am stating it would be a nice shape for the toe area but with a lower heel...think perhaps like a cowboy boot type heel. Sorry to confuse.
I get your point now. I think the designer may have this in mind.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:46 AM   #993
Anne Hathaway
Side-Kick

OR

Cover up the the one on the left a little bit and I really like it. I was in the 100% pants camp not long ago but Ive backed off that stance and Im open skirt/swimsuit.

BUT anything with high heels or unnecessary cleavage is still an instant no.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:53 AM   #994
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:

THIS THIS AND THIS. This is exaclty what I want for Wondy.

I agree with these points. Heels don't make sense. Please no heels.

That isn't exactly what I pictured with the eagle and straps, but it's an interesting design.

I think the shoulder armor could work, as long as it is flexible and lifts up with her arms for movement.

\S/T*
Old 03-22-2014, 12:58 AM   #995
anonomissx
Testy chick from Vegas

Hmm...

Old 03-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #996
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
There is a way to make WW's costume work. It doesn't involve putting her in a swimsuit and it doesn't involve removing all classic elements. It should have been done long ago. That's why people argue about WW, roach. It's because she's been left behind when other female characters get real costumes. Black Widow doesn't have debates because she has a decent costume already in Avengers. Marvel isn't sticking its characters in swim suits, so no one accuses them of anything. DC needs to catch up. Look at all the major CBMs. Then look at WW. People are moving away from costumes like that. And there's a reason for that. Did you know people wrote articles about MOS and how it was "a feminist action movie"? Did they write that about Watchmen or Sucker Punch? No. Snyder was accused of sexism in those days. It's time to move on and WW needs to catch up.

There. It's just that easy.
You say it should have been done long ago...but we've seen variations on the classic design before that are very similar to those. These aren't new concepts neccessarily, it's just that in comics, the preference is for traditional depictions more than anything else.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 03-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #997
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Quote:
How so?
Gold is constantly associated with royal so I can see why it would feel somewhat pedantic though I love the traditional palette. You even said yourself the silver was more "scifi" that is what I meant. I like both looks equally. Have no qualms with either just don't like when people dismiss the silver look because I do like it.

:o
Old 03-22-2014, 01:11 AM   #998
horrorwriter
Bad Moon Books

Awesome Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Hathaway View Post

OR

Cover up the the one on the left a little bit and I really like it. I was in the 100% pants camp not long ago but Ive backed off that stance and Im open skirt/swimsuit.

BUT anything with high heels or unnecessary cleavage is still an instant no.
There is no such thing as unecessary cleavage

Old 03-22-2014, 01:13 AM   #999
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
You say it should have been done long ago...but we've seen variations on the classic design before that are very similar to those. These aren't new concepts neccessarily, it's just that in comics, the preference is for traditional depictions more than anything else.
Artists have wanted to change her look before. Sometimes it has been changed, but DC is afraid of losing its target male audience. They said no to changes recently. They seem to assume a skimpy costume sells better, which may or may not be true. There are men who read ww for her character. Some have even complained about the costume. DC seems to think she won't sell without a tiny costume. The preference is for making money and they have decided this is how to do it. If they just said no more panties and gave her a new costume permanently (which is the right thing to do), people would come around and maybe others who stay away from comics because they aren't impressed with things done for the target group, would start buying them.

\S/T*
Old 03-22-2014, 01:13 AM   #1000
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
I agree with these points. Heels don't make sense. Please no heels.

That isn't exactly what I pictured with the eagle and straps, but it's an interesting design.

I think the shoulder armor could work, as long as it is flexible and lifts up with her arms for movement.
It's the best that I could find over that description. if I found one I'll let you know.
And yeah I think especially in that drawing armor shoulders looks that have some mobility.

Closed Thread