View Poll Results: Which film is better
Thor (2011) 86 38.57%
Thor: The Dark World (2013) 116 52.02%
Tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #226
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
as others have mentioned, I want a character arc for my hero
and no "being reluctant to take the throne, and then deciding by the end not to take it" is not a full character arc, it's a tiny part of an arc, just one beat
Except Thor wasn't reluctant at the start of the movie, he had accepted all responsibilities that are placed on him and was doing what Odin wanted him to, including not visiting Jane. He had chosen duty over his own feelings.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #227
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero

I'd say TDW for the simple fact that it was able to go a lot further & show a lot more both story wise & action wise. I love both films a great deal, though, but TDW wins this one for me.

Hulk-1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #228
one4smoke
Side-Kick

Thor started out great for me, and gets better each time I re-watch it.

Maybe with TDW starting out as good, it'll make it up to great after several views on the DVD.

one4smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #229
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero

I think both do a great job of capturing the essential aspects of the character. I've heard some say that thus far the series has had too much Earth based action, but I somewhat disagree since it was done so Thor could relate more to people who were new to the character.

With the first having established the character & TA/TDW expanding on him, I'd like to see a full movie with just Asgard & the nine realms. Both movies have shown us quite a bit, but there's still so much more out there that they have yet to explore.

Hulk-1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #230
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick

The Dark World was more interesting visually, it had better production design and some imaginative action sequences. But the original Thor was more focused on telling a story, developing a character, relating to the viewer. The Dark World barely has time for any of that as it's cramming in endless characters for their two-minutes in the spotlight.

The ultimate condemnation against The Dark World is that more time is spent on Darcy's silly comedy than on Malekith himself! Really quite ridiculous.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #231
Thoix
Side-Kick

After re-watching them both recently, Thor came off as the better movie. Neither movie is bad, but neither of them are great. Thor is good while TDW is a decent flick, but is overally silly at time and the villain is a bore to watch.

Thor - 7/10
Thor: The Dark World - 6/10

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #232
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I feel similarly

Thor - 7/10

Thor TDW - 5.5/10

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #233
Hammer!
Side-Kick

I can't believe how much thor 2 is leading this. Looking at these two films objectionable fashion, the first Thor is just a far superior film in almost every facet.

GL: 4/10. SR: 6.5/10. BB: 8/10. TDK: 9/10. TDKR: 5/10. MOS: 6/10.

SM: 8/10. SM2: 7/10. SM3: 4/10. TASM: 6.5/10 TASM2: 6/10.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #234
LordMortis315
Side-Kick

Hmm, after mulling it over a bit, I'm going with the first Thor. If they added in more Malekith/Dark Elf backstory and removed some of the unnecessary gags in the final battle, it would be a closer match between the two.

LordMortis315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #235
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
I can't believe how much thor 2 is leading this. Looking at these two films objectionable fashion, the first Thor is just a far superior film in almost every facet.
Wholeheartedly agree. TDW is Marvel's first misstep IMO.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #236
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Agree with you both, IM3 wasnt that good either, but TDW is a real disappointment to me, and it just gets worse the more I watch it, though I havent watched it since a 4th viewing about 2 weeks ago, I have simply not had the desire too. Yet the 1st movie is still great.

I think if this poll was done from the start again now the results would be vastly different. People normally vote for the new movie on the block and then later realise their feelings change. I am not having a go at people for this BTW because I have done it myself.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:30 PM   #237
Volcom
Banned User

Maybe the second one

Volcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #238
one4smoke
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:07 AM   #239
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Thor - 7/10
Thor: The Dark World - 5/10

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #240
First Avenger
Side-Kick

I enjoy both movies equally but for different reasons. I love how intimate the first Thor was,the small scale did not bother me because I expected it to be like that and it gave the opportunity to properly introduce the characters of Thor and loki.

With TDW I expected to be a no holds barred,big scale movie and I got that,but IMO it did not forget the most important elements of the first movie. To me TDW is the Marvel version of a pure adventure movie,a real journey into mistery.

The humor I do not see any difference between the two movies,Malekith and the elves had the same role Laufey and the frost giants had in the first because Loki still remains the main villain of this saga. So to me I can sit and enjoy both equally and am really glad to see these characters, so difficult and tricky to adapt,so well done on screen.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Last edited by First Avenger; 03-29-2014 at 07:59 AM.
First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #241
one4smoke
Side-Kick

To me:

Thor - 9/10
Thor: The Dark World - 7/10

Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #242
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I think you mean objective. That's of course still not the case, you just stated a very subjective opinion, so calling it objectionable might have been appropriate after all.

The Dark World has consistently been rated higher than Thor by audiences on various pages so I don't get how it can be surprising either. Whether it's hard to understand why has to do with the individual's capacity for thinking about things from different viewpoints.

Last edited by Mjölnir; 03-29-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:09 AM   #243
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

When a film is new, it normally gets all the votes. I think some votes would swing toward Thor now that TDW has been out for a while. But, I can see why TDW might be enjoyed more than Thor by many. For me, I think they're stronger than the other in different areas. I would lean toward Thor solely due to Loki's arc in the 1st film. That breaks what is otherwise a tie for me. TDW is more visually stunning and looks more professional, but Thor has stronger story arcs. TDW gives you a mid-credits scene that hints at a great possibility for the MCU moving forward. Thor did as well, but the Infinity Stones angle induced more of a fanboy reaction from me.

Different strokes for different folks. I can see both sides on this one.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:18 AM   #244
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

My thing is the more I think about TDW the less I like it and although I dislike a lot about Thor I watched it again and liked it a little more than I did in theaters. I literally added up the pros and cons of each picture and Thor just wins out for me. It's even more obvious to me six months from The Dark World's release. I don't think Thor is far and away better but it's better to me.

Thor:--6.5 or like 6.8 but I only score in .5's.
Thor: The Dark World--6/10

I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 AM   #245
Lord
All Mighty

I really disliked Loki in the first film, in TDW he was much more entertaining. The comedy in the first film annoyed me to no end, however, most of the one in the 2nd film was on-spot for me. I lean more towards Thor: The Dak World.

I guess some of the reasons why i enjoyed Thor less was also because i read the script before going to watch it, and was already tired of the soundtrack. In the end, i think both needed more time to improve their scripts.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:09 AM   #246
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I really disliked Loki in the first film, in TDW he was much more entertaining. The comedy in the first film annoyed me to no end, however, most of the one in the 2nd film was on-spot for me. I lean more towards Thor: The Dak World.

I guess some of the reasons why i enjoyed Thor less was also because i read the script before going to watch it, and was already tired of the soundtrack. In the end, i think both needed more time to improve their scripts.
I think the script for Thor was fine. The only issue they really could have used fixing on was the time frame. The movie took place in 2 days. That was probably the biggest issue conceptually. TDW seemed like it went into production before they could iron everything out. Thor was stronger conceptually. TDW you could tell didn't know what the primary focus of the film was. The pieces are there, they just don't let them grow the way the arcs for Thor and Loki were allowed to in the first film.

But, as I said earlier, TDW looked far more visually engaging than Thor did. Asgard in Thor was tiny. All of like 5 rooms. Asgard was bigger in TDW (felt like a realm), it had wider shots that showcased the landscape of the land (most of Thor was tight/claustrophobic shots). All around just looked better.

I couldn't disagree more on Loki in the first film. In the first film, Loki was a very complex character. He was in TDW as well, but his fall into darkness and his ultimate plan said a lot about his character. You can see what drove him to evil very easily. To this point, Loki in the first Thor probably stands as the best overall villain in an MCU film.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:43 AM   #247
Lord
All Mighty

I have to disagree about Loki, i didn't find his descent to darkness all that well done, the whole film his reasons were "daddy issues", sure, he then tried to destroy an entire race, but i didn't find those motivations all that well handled.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:12 AM   #248
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I have to disagree about Loki, i didn't find his descent to darkness all that well done, the whole film his reasons were "daddy issues", sure, he then tried to destroy an entire race, but i didn't find those motivations all that well handled.
Why? I felt his motivations were very well handled. He grew up thinking of them as monsters, only to discover he himself was a monster. So, it was part proving he is a worthy son to his father, and part rejecting his heritage/loathing himself.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 AM   #249
Lord
All Mighty

I'm sorry, but the idea may have been interesting, however i don't think it was very well handled at all.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:26 AM   #250
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Once again, how so?