The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #301
PokeJ
Side-Kick

Default Re: Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!! - Part

Think Scott Mendelson's review will be positive. Seems like he is overall positive. He hasn't had a counted review on RT in two years though.

PokeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #302
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!! - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Both films have excellent action, but in totally different ways. Man of Steel had fight scenes that were crazy huge in spectacle, while The Winter Soldier's combat is down-and-dirty. Though I will say that both had massive scale wanton destruction and implied collateral damage, and it'll be interesting to see if The Winter Soldier sparks similar outrage in that regard.
Will there be the same kind of outrage? Personally, I sincerely doubt it. I haven't seen one review yet that's brought up collateral damage in TWS.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #303
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Let's drop the MoS comparisons, especially the whining about double standards. Save it for the Supes threads please.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #304
PokeJ
Side-Kick

nm.

Last edited by PokeJ; 03-27-2014 at 11:51 AM.
PokeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #305
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Juuuuuust to keep things moving along, from journalist Marc Graser of Daily Variety.

Quote:
Marc Graser ‏@marcgraser 59m
Marvel scores big with the Russo brothers directing @CaptainAmerica: The Winter Soldier. It's a great action-packed character-driven ride.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #306
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Let's drop the MoS comparisons, especially the whining about double standards. Save it for the Supes threads please.
Woah there, jump-the-gun Joey. Someone asked a perfectly valid quesiton comparing the fight scenes of Man of Steel to the fight scenes in The Winter Soldier, and it got a few posts in response. Still suitably within the realm of the topic, since it's comparing this film to another one rather than discussing it in isolation.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #307
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

It's a tricky line to cross. Objective comparisons are one thing, and I'm perfectly fine with that… but then it sometimes crosses over into one-upmanship and then arguments and thread derailing LOL!

I'd love to contrast and compare (I do have a preference for the MCU, but I try to enjoy all CBMs that I see… unless I can't LOL!) but it can be difficult and tricky sometimes.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #308
Huddsy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
It's a tricky line to cross. Objective comparisons are one thing, and I'm perfectly fine with that… but then it sometimes crosses over into one-upmanship and then arguments and thread derailing LOL!

I'd love to contrast and compare (I do have a preference for the MCU, but I try to enjoy all CBMs that I see… unless I can't LOL!) but it can be difficult and tricky sometimes.
BOOOOO! They all suck except the MCU!!!

Jk. I own almost all the CBM movies out there since Spidey/X-Men....

Except Catwoman, Elektra, the Ghost Riders.... that's all I can think of at the moment.

He didn't retire in Iron Man 3, folks.
Huddsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #309
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddsy View Post

Except Catwoman, Elektra, the Ghost Riders.... that's all I can think of at the moment.
I'll just say it… no one should ever own Catwoman. I sort of liked Elektra. GR 1 was okay.

But Catwoman was so extremely, horrifically painful.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #310
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddsy View Post

You own Jonah Hex? I feel so sorry for you.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #311
eon001
Side-Kick

Loved it. Easily in the top 3 of Marvel studio movies they've produced so far.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #312
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

Glad to see this getting so many positive reviews! Really looking forward to it.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #313
Huddsy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
You own Jonah Hex? I feel so sorry for you.
Another one I don't. Just was reminded of that. I also never bought Green Lantern, Supe Returns, Ang Lee's Hulk, Punishers, or anything comic based but not really "superhero-y" like Scott Pilgrim/Dredd/etc.

Basically I have...

- All the MCU movies on Bluray to date (I have the Phase 1 Boxset in the Tesseract case thingy)
- Raimi's Spiderman Trilogy
- Webb's Amazing Spiderman
- Both Fantastic Four movies with Evans
- Daredevil Director's Cut
- Man of Steel
- Nolan's Trilogy
- X-Men 1-3
- X-Men First Class
- Watchmen
- Blade Trilogy
- Kick-Ass 1 and 2
-

He didn't retire in Iron Man 3, folks.
Huddsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #314
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

My buddy saw an advanced screening they did for the local Police and Firefighters and he said everybody absolutely loved it! Said there was all kind of whooting and hollering and cheering. He could not stop raving about how dope it was!

Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #315
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Patton Oswalt!!!

He was tweeting his dad's hilarious reactions to CATWS earlier

Quote:
patton oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 38s
(1 of 3) far as i'm concerned? Captain america: The winter soldier was terrific. Crazy-ass action and super-dark…

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 1m
(2 of 3) ...with a HUGE tease of a Marvel character we haven't seen mentioned yet (collective audience gasp)…

@pattonoswalt 31s
(3 of 3) ...and the LAST ACTOR YOU'D EVER EXPECT saying, "Hail Hydra."
Details
I think that middle tweet is a huge spoiler!

Last edited by Suzanne78; 03-27-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #316
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Here's Patton's other tweets:

Quote:
Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 17m
"That falcon suit woulda made Vietnam a lot easier for me." -- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER speaks to my dad
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 26m
"Oh, that was the PULP FICTION fella in the eyepatch!" -- my dad's continuing review of CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 39m
"They used to make movies out of the 'Blondie' comics. Those were fun." -- my dad, post-CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 44m
"That Scarlett Johnson sure was something." -- further insights from my dad re: CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 48m
"A lot of ammunition was expended." -- my dad's review of the CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER screening we just saw

Old 03-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #317
Loki882
Side-Kick

Well I cannot argue with Papa Oswalt on the Vietnam or Scarlett Johansson things. His logic is sound there.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #318
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Patton Oswalt!!!

He was tweeting his dad's hilarious reactions to CATWS earlier

I think that middle tweet is a huge spoiler!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I assume that he's talking about Doctor Strange.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #319
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

I'm out of of the posting reactions about this movie from Twitter; there are spoilers showing up rampantly over there, so no more checking the search terms for me.

If I see something pop up on my TL, I'll post

Old 03-28-2014, 01:29 AM   #320
MysticRain
Side-Kick

Haven't seen it yet so I'm treading these threads carefully. Glad to hear that no one drop the ball in term of acting. There are some very glowing reviews all around particularly for Evans, Stan, and Mackie.

MysticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #321
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

http://www.411mania.com/movies/film_reviews/318209

The only review that matters this week.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote