View Poll Results: Which is better?
The Dark Knight 124 57.14%
The Avengers 93 42.86%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #551
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

TDK is a better film. Avengers is more fun. Alien/Blade Runner vs. Star Wars/Back to the Future if you want to compare iconic franchises in the same genre. I have a tendency to watch Avengers more because of the humor, chemistry, and vibrant colors/action sequences. TDK, being as bleak as it is, isn't a movie I pop in as often. Batman Begins is a bit more easy watching in that regard.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
ElMariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #552
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I find TDK to be a lot more rewatchable.

As soon as I hear that eerie Zimmer score and I see that opening establishing shot of the building, I'm hooked.

With The Avengers, although I loved it on first watch, I'm finding it harder and harder to get through.

FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #553
Thoix
Side-Kick

I recently re-watched both movies recently. I was able to sit through TDK with ease, where I got bored half way through TA and had to continue it the next day. The entire final act of TA is a chore to sit through and turns Loki in a punching bag. Most of the humor has also lost it's charm.

I have to agree with those who say it is getting harder to watch TA now in days. I had tremendous fun seeing it with a big crowd, but since then it has dawned on me TA could have been so much more than it is now. Hopefully the next movie is better, but IM3, T:TDW, and Agents of SHIELD have been very disappointing.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #554
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

For me it's the first two acts that are less engaging than the last act. The story is just not there, and the Whedon tone gets on my nerves.

This is why I'm confident that I'll like Cap2 the most out of any MCU movie. Even though the trailers haven't really appealed to me (cinematography, action, score, etc), apparently the story is just very engaging.

FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #555
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoix View Post
I recently re-watched both movies recently. I was able to sit through TDK with ease, where I got bored half way through TA and had to continue it the next day. The entire final act of TA is a chore to sit through and turns Loki in a punching bag. Most of the humor has also lost it's charm.

I have to agree with those who say it is getting harder to watch TA now in days. I had tremendous fun seeing it with a big crowd, but since then it has dawned on me TA could have been so much more than it is now. Hopefully the next movie is better, but IM3, T:TDW, and Agents of SHIELD have been very disappointing.

I've said this before but I honestly don't think there would have been any other way to have done Avengers. It really couldn't be anything other than a stripped down movie that celebrated the genre, otherwise there was the real risk of it collapsing under all the weight. Whedon himself had issues trying to get the story for this film right, I think he did as best he could with what he had and gave audience enough to have a good time with it.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #556
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I kinda agree with this to a degree, at least from a creative perspective. Whilst TDK is the better overall of the two it was made with the intention of being a film not specifically a superhero film. Avengers is a celebration of superhero films and there's a clear desire to give all the characters a time to shine and to fully embrace the fantastical nature of superheroes. TDK is a lot colder in relation to the genre, part of that is due to the story, part of that is due to Nolan stripping away as many of the fantastical elements as he could in order for the realistic setting to work, that's not to say there wasn't a desire to produce a good film, but the focus wasn't to embrace the traditions of the genre, if anything it was an attempt to redefine the genre which was done to great effect.

TDK had more 'cinema' heart. The Avengers had more 'Comic Book' heart. I'm taking 'cinema' heart eight days a week over 'comic book' heart because film was my first love, but whatever floats your boat. Neither is wrong. My point is, I find both have equal 'heart'. They are just passionate about two completely different things.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #557
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

I pick Avengers easily.

lancimouspitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #558
Steamteck
Side-Kick

I always finish TDK very angry. What I find its flaws and poor writing really make me quite mad. Until IM3, TDK was my most disliked major CBM that had a large following

When I finish Avengers, I really feel my favorite things about the classic superhero stories I love have been given life in a live action film.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #559
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancimouspitt View Post
I pick Avengers easily.
I concur.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #560
Victarion
Dolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
I always finish TDK very angry.
I find it quite uplifting. But yeah, weezerspider hit the nail on the head in terms of the films' "heart."

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #561
XavierStormag
Frustrated DC fan

Avengers easy, I regret not seeing it in cinema.
The worst thing a movie can do is bore me and the nolan trilogy do that and nolan movies in general plus I don't get nolan's batman at all. Same with superman in mos. He was not the btas one or comic one at all. Marvel do much better in capturing and translating their heroes from comic/animation to movie.

XavierStormag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #562
Dispatch Ninja
Side-Kick

TDK easily. Avengers is the worst directed movie out of the whole mcu. They need to fire whedon and give the job to the russos.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #563
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch Ninja View Post
TDK easily. Avengers is the worst directed movie out of the whole mcu. They need to fire whedon and give the job to the russos.
Here's hoping now that Cap has been 'fixed' for more people, we'll actually see him present in the avengers film going forward.
The one thing the Russo's could have got better was the civilian clothes cap chooses to wear. Whedon definitely wins that one.

Last edited by Marvin; 04-17-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #564
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

I actually disagree with that, I like what he wore in TWS.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.

Last edited by Ms. Marvel; 04-18-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #565
Lord
All Mighty

What he wore as Steve Rogers? Are you two arguing about which one looked better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #566
starkresilient
Side-Kick

Avengers for me without a doubt

starkresilient is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #567
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
What he wore as Steve Rogers? Are you two arguing about which one looked better?
No....

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #568
Hammer!
Side-Kick

TDK, but the Avengers will obviously go down as the most influential film in the genre, at least so far.

GL: 4/10. SR: 6.5/10. BB: 8/10. TDK: 9/10. TDKR: 5/10. MOS: 6/10.

SM: 8/10. SM2: 7/10. SM3: 4/10. TASM: 6.5/10 TASM2: 6/10.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #569
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYx6NE9Xy4I

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #570
EssayM
Just A Guy

The Dark Knight really has me going...until the last half hour or so, everything after Harvey-as-Two-Face is broken out of the hospital. I think its because the film was so serious about building up an epic tone, but they didn't really know how to tie all up, so that whole last act or so felt kind of anticlimactic to me.

The Avengers, as much as it was built up, is kind of laid back in terms of its epicness, so there's not a whole ton of buildup for it to collapse under.

It's kind of like one guy who's really serious about climbing Mt. Everest tripping and falling halfway up, while another guy is just content to skateboard up a really big half-pipe.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #571
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
It's kind of like one guy who's really serious about climbing Mt. Everest tripping and falling halfway up, while another guy is just content to skateboard up a really big half-pipe.
Do you even Mtn Dew, bro?

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #572
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Avengers will obviously go down as the most influential film in the genre, at least so far.
That is Superman: The Movie and will always be Superman: The Movie. Avengers wouldn't even exist without it.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #573
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
That is Superman: The Movie and will always be Superman: The Movie. Avengers wouldn't even exist without it.
I would peg it as the second most influential CBM, though. Superman the Movie wins out for starting the whole ball rolling, but no other movie has had as much influence on the shape of the rest of the industry as Avengers. Basically every movie since has defined itself either in how it copies or rebels against Avengers.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #574
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
this

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #575
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I would peg it as the second most influential CBM, though. Superman the Movie wins out for starting the whole ball rolling, but no other movie has had as much influence on the shape of the rest of the industry as Avengers. Basically every movie since has defined itself either in how it copies or rebels against Avengers.
I assume you mean every CBM since then. Which ones?

Quote: