The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 04-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
EssayM
Just A Guy

Default What story direction are they going in?

The age of the cast and Mark Millar's involvement suggest a UFF adaptation, but the recently leaked space origin has more to do with 616, and of course Jordan's casting suggests an original interpretation. With all that, what direction do you think they are going to go in with the story?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Default Re: What story direction are they going in?

The bad one.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
EssayM
Just A Guy

Oh, come on, at least try to be constructive.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

What recently leaked space origin?

I think the characters will be Ultimate sourced and they will use the N-Zone instead of space exploration to get their powers, other than that it'll be 616.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Brutalitops
Side-Kick

There has been several leaked plotlines so far for this movie such that the only definite direction we can conclude is that they're skewing young, which suggests that the characterizations of the Four will be heavily influenced by UFF. Also there has been quotes of the movie being grounded and gritty (whether you agree with that or not), which, in addition to their youth, suggests the negative zone origins as opposed to space. Other than that, I cannot get a bead on where they're going with this. I mean Fox hasn't released ANY press release regarding anything with this movie, so it's tough right now.

Brutalitops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
EssayM
Just A Guy

Apparently there was a recently leaked casting call that indicated that their origin would involve them going into space.

I personally would prefer that. While they don't have to cram in the dated Space Race subtext, I do think it's more dramatic than them just walking into a portal. Also, them being transported to various countries by the portal and having to be found kind of worked in the comics, but I think it would just waste time in a movie. Space is the way to go IMO.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I remember that casting call sheet now. I wouldn't mind Space or Negative Zone, though I'd probably prefer the latter as it hasn't been done before and reflects Reeds genius more, imo

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Brutalitops
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
I remember that casting call sheet now. I wouldn't mind Space or Negative Zone, though I'd probably prefer the latter as it hasn't been done before and reflects Reeds genius more, imo
The Negative Zone sounds more realistic judging by the youth of the team. A bunch of early 20 somethings going into space along just sounds absurd. It makes more sense for them to be empowered by the opening of the Negative Zone gone wrong, especially if they want to keep the budget down. The casting of Papa Storm suggests the existence of the Think Tank because in 616 I believe he was in jail since the Storm siblings were kids. Just sounds like the Negative Zone origins from UFF to me. It would also further it from the stench of Story's FF.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutalitops View Post
The Negative Zone sounds more realistic judging by the youth of the team. A bunch of early 20 somethings going into space along just sounds absurd. It makes more sense for them to be empowered by the opening of the Negative Zone gone wrong, especially if they want to keep the budget down. The casting of Papa Storm suggests the existence of the Think Tank because in 616 I believe he was in jail since the Storm siblings were kids. Just sounds like the Negative Zone origins from UFF to me. It would also further it from the stench of Story's FF.
Don't you mean LATE 20 somethings?

No one in this cast is as young as Alba and Evans were in the first one - in fact they are about four years older [5 when released]. And with this Sue being in her early 30's not really seeing the "going younger" angle that keeps being mentioned...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
Brutalitops
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
Don't you mean LATE 20 somethings?

No one in this cast is as young as Alba and Evans were in the first one - in fact they are about four years older [5 when released]. And with this Sue being in her early 30's not really seeing the "going younger" angle that keeps being mentioned...
You do realize that actors do play younger...

I hope they're going the Ultimate route, because the cast doesn't make sense if it's Classic.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #11
gugumugats
SKIDOOOOOSH!!

I'm trying to think of what is the "best" story direction they could try to incorporate with mutants and the X-Men (FF and X-Men really don't seem to mix well as a concept, but that's just me).

I like the idea of Baxter Building as a think tank (a super-science version of Harry Potter!!) in UFF, but the Fox-verse already has Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters which in a way is kind of like that.

I also realized that they might just hand-wave the FF into mutants (NOOOO!!!!!!). Well, I wouldn't mind too much if they at least keep the fantastic dynamic between the characters.

Dr. Walter Bishop: Oh - That's too bad. You'll have to shock her heart then.

-FRINGE
gugumugats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
EssayM
Just A Guy

I think an FF/X-Men crossover could be interesting. Imagine Reed Richards talking philosophy with Xavier, the Thing and Wolverine doing a Fastball Special, Johnny Storm goofing off with some of the younger members, even the potential awesomeness/hilarity of a Doom/Magneto team-up. It could provide a lot of room for character development, but also for some badass fight scenes.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #13
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

We'll see, I suppose. Traditionally, the FF have been "celebrity" superheroes, while the X-Men have been outlaws.

I hope for some intriguing science exploration. Get Neil Degrasse Tyson onboard as a consultant/idea man.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #14
MakeMinesMarvel
Side-Kick

Who cares about tradition. Fox needs to make their own movies
FF/Xmen in the savage land or against the shi-ar lets take it up a notch bring in the silver surfer xforce whoever. FF/X-Men can work beautifully its still MARVEL!

MakeMinesMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Eddie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMinesMarvel View Post
Who cares about tradition. Fox needs to make their own movies
FF/Xmen in the savage land or against the shi-ar lets take it up a notch bring in the silver surfer xforce whoever. FF/X-Men can work beautifully its still MARVEL!
Ignoring tradition and doing their own thing worked wonders for Dragonball Evolution.

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote