The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
sethcohen
still beats hal...

Default Book suggestions for a fan of LOST and FRINGE

Hey! its been a few months since i read a book and id like to pick up a new one... Im looking for something in the sci-fi/paranormal category... id love to find something that has a feel like LOST or FRINGE... i like sci-fi that kinda takes place in the framework of the real world like those shows do... kinda where the outside world is oblivious to the fantastic things happening...
time travel & the supernatural are a plus! HELP!
OH! and dont suggest Bad Twin! ive heard of it, but im not too interested in it!

I'm the schmuck that brought back Jason Todd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern
My name is Green Lantern and I approve this message. Keep that **** outta MY thread.

Last edited by sethcohen; 02-24-2009 at 09:54 AM.
sethcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
ttotheusher
In the Palais

Default Re: Book suggestions for a fan of LOST and FRINGE

Slaughterhouse-Five. Its the basis for the Lost episode "The Constant". Its based in WW2 and is about a soldier who becomes "unstuck in time". Its a modern classic.

Last edited by ttotheusher; 05-11-2009 at 09:27 AM.
ttotheusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
elgaz
Side-Kick

I cant think of a specific one, but Michael Crichtons novels often touched on similar themes exploring science and paranormal.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Addendum
Banned User

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Addendum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
sethcohen
still beats hal...

im gonna check those out... anything else?

Quote:
My name is Green Lantern and I approve this message. Keep that **** outta MY thread.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Lord of the Flies

Old 02-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
sethcohen
still beats hal...

read it many years ago

Quote:
Old 02-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
ttotheusher
In the Palais

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - My personal favourite Philip K. Dick novel, also the basis for Blade Runner.

An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge - A short story that has a similar flashback framework to Lost.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
Brick
Tropical Caterpiller

The Third Policeman by Brian O'Nolan/Flann O'Brien
Ubik by Philip K. Dick
Time Out of Joint by Philip K. Dick

Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

The Stand by Stephen King. Many parts of Lost are inspired by this book, and Charlie Pace is even based on the character of Larry Underwood. It's a truely fantastic read.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

The Stand is one of the main inspirations for Lost, I recommend just googling the "Lost book club" which will bring you up all the books used/refrenced in the show, many of them are science-fiction themed.

FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE 'SLEEP DEPRIVED' FANS OF . .
__T_H_E__ D_A_R_K__ K_N_I_G_H_T__

Last edited by Yurka; 05-10-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Yurka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Gilpesh
Banned User

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Literary_works

Gilpesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
Maximus One
Oddball

lol Great idea for a thread Gilpesh you totally saved me the trouble. Accelerando by Charles Stross is an absolutely amazing read but it is really really out there for lack of a better term but what science fiction isnt. Slaughterhouse 5 is something Ive been meaning to read for a long long time and just never have. I have a feeling I would really enjoy Vonnegut (sp) or Lovecraft. Ive heard nothing but great things about At the Mountains of Madness.

I read a couple really good books lately one was called The Cobra Effect by Brian Preston (pretty sure) and its about this CDC agent dealing with a biologoical attack on some major city on the east coast (forgot) and even though technically not sci/fi it has alot of scientific talk especially about biological and chemical warfare plus the death scenes are absolutely gorgeously grotesque.

I recently Sphere by Michael Chrichton and as usual book was better than the movie. Seriously though if you liked the movie then read the book cuz its really really good.

One book though I havent seen mentioned here at all that if you like Fringe or Lost you WILL LOVE is From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz. Honestly I think it is by far his best book it is seriously amazing how beautiful a book it is. Seriously Gilpesh this is my number recommendation for you it is that good!

I dunno man theres alotta good sci/fi out there but an equal amount of crappy stuff pretty much anything by Kurt Vonnegut, Phillip K. Dick, H.P. Lovecraft, Robert Heinlen.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #14
Gabe99
Side-Kick

OLIVER MAKES WEIRD SCIENCE IN "FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY RENAUD
It's been nearly a decade since Simon Oliver launched "The Exterminators" for Vertigo Comics. And like the insect-infected world featured in his debut hit, illustrated and co-created by Tony Moore of "The Walking Dead" fame, the one he's building with artist Robbi Rodriquez in "FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics" is heading towards a mass extermination. Except in his latest creator-owned series for Vertigo, a far more powerful menace lurks in the shadows -- and that menace is physics.

"FBP" follows a team of investigators working for the Federal Bureau of Physics as the physical world begins to unravel thanks to quantum tornadoes, bubbleverses and a new brand of science that would have left the Beastie Boys needing to expand their horizons and parameters far beyond what they previously believed possible.

In seven issues to date, Oliver and Rodriguez have delivered a mystery literally spiraling out of control and one that is based, at least in part, on real science. Not bad for a kid that used to get reports card stating: "He does okay but he could do better."

With the series going on a one-month hiatus to coincide with the release of its first collected edition on February 19, CBR News connected with Oliver to discuss the real-life scenario that appears to mirror the events of "FBP," why knowing what wormholes and time dilation is may make the series even more enjoyable and how long the writer believes the series will run.
VERTIGO'S "COLLIDER" NOW TITLED "FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS"

Tuesday, February 26, 2013:
Word Balloon Podcast James Robinson On The New Batman Of Earth-2, Dan Jurgens Remebers The Death Of Superman, and Creator Owned Tips From Robbi Rodgriguez and Ryan Browne
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Siuntres
Then 2 creators give self publishuing tips. First, Robbi Rodgriguez talks about his Acid Western Frankie Get Your Gun, and the new ep soundtrack for the comic that's out today. He also previews his new Vertigo series Colider written by Simon Oliver.
Collider a.k.a. FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS to get the feature film treatment, courtesy of David Goyer!
Warner Bros Taps ‘Jungle Book’ Scribe Justin Marks To Adapt Vertigo Comics’ ‘Federal Bureau Of Physics’

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #15
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Ian Tregillis in conversation with Charlie Stross on The Laundry Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Gregson
This week sees the release of THE COLDEST WAR (UK | ANZ) , the second novel in Ian Tregillis’s landmark series, the Milkweed Triptych. The trilogy began with BITTER SEEDS (UK | ANZ) and concludes with the forthcoming NECESSARY EVIL (UK | ANZ).

These novels feature a secret history of Twentieth Century conflicts in which scientifically-enhanced superhumans and dark magic collide. The result is described by Fantasy Faction as ‘oh-so compelling, fascinating and frighteningly convincing’ and by Cory Doctorow as, ‘some of the best – and most exciting – alternate history I’ve read. Bravo.’

Ian:
One of the things I enjoy most about the Laundry books is the way they juxtapose spy drama, Lovecraftian horror, and the banality of office politics. They combine the profound and the mundane to great effect. Does it work because the narrowness of the corporate mindset can be laughable, or because matrix management is merely a different kind of unspeakable horror?

Charlie:
I’m not certain. However, I will note that both horror and humour are tints that we can apply to a narrative; the same plot structure and characters could in principle be written into a horror story or a farce, purely depending on how we colour the narrative.

Ian:
Fiction writers aren’t alone in thinking the occult makes an attractive dance partner for intelligence services. The CIA infamously speBitter Seeds - the first novel in the Milweed Triptych, a fantasy series featuring superhumand and dark magic, and earning comparisons with Charles Stross's Laundry Files novelsnt millions of dollars on its remote-viewing program, Project Stargate. It has also been alleged the Soviet navy attempted to investigate telepathy as a means of secure communications with submarines.

But the Laundry contends with extraordinarily dangerous powers, as do the intelligence operatives of the Milkweed books. How much stock would you put in the notion that a real-world three-letter agency *wouldn’t* jump at the chance to commune with ravenous extra-dimensional beings?

Charlie:
None whatsoever! Which is why at least one of the Laundry’s foreign counterparts, the Black Chamber, is pretty clearly run by the many-angled ones, and the Laundry itself is full of archives documenting highly questionable compromises. In fact, “the road to hell is paved with good intentions” could well serve as the overarching theme of the Laundry Files as a series (I have a long-term plot that is slowly unrolling) . . .

Back in 1997 when I began to explore this area, I started with a novelette titled “A Colder War”, which made it pretty explicit. ACW was set in the future of Lovecraft’s “At the Mountains of Madness” – a future in which Nazi Germany, the USSR, and the USA had all found their uses for the ancient alien technologies found by the Pabodie expedition to Antarctica. It all ends in tears (and a fate worse than global thermonuclear annihilation – the point of that story was to inject some horror back into Lovecraftiana by linking it implicitly to something truly horrifying, to anyone who grew up during the Cold War), but not before a Senator in a congressional hearing gets to utter the words, “Mister President, we cannot allow a Shoggoth Gap to emerge.”

Yes, if they got their hands on this stuff they’d use it. We have met the enemy, and we are doing our best to turn into them before they turn into us.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote