The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #26
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Should there be a stand alone Mystique film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I'm not a hater. She's had plenty of screen time. I just want to see other villains get the spotlight for once. I mean we still have yet to see Daken, Omega Red, Sinister, Cameron Hodge, Apocalypse, Donald Pierce, Selene, Emplate, Stryfe and Shadow King. Those are a LOT of bad guys.
Agreed! Its time too introduce more bad-ass villains!

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #27
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

No i dont think a Mystique film would be good as her past is too random and you wouldnt be able to fixate on one particular story without breaching into anoter mutant origins.

However if you did a Nightcrawler movie, Mystique could play a very prominant role.

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
TheVelvetOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #28
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Mystique is Cool but I can't imagine a Solo Movie.

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #29
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

it doesn't seem like she spent enough time on her own in this movieverse to really have enough of a story to fill a solo movie

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #30
def28
Side-Kick

I don't think Lawrence would sign up. But Donner I guess is interested...
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/04/1...ifer-lawrence/
Quote:
“There was a regime [at the studio] that didn’t see the worth in [spin-offs], and the current people who run Fox understand, embrace it, and we’re going to do right by it,” says producer Lauren Shuler Donner, who’s produced all of the X-Men films. “I’d like to do Gambit. I’d like to do Deadpool. We’ll see. There’s a lot of really great characters.”

“I love what Jen Lawrence has done with her, and I feel like because she is in such a crowded ensemble, there’s so much more opportunity if you were to follow her solo.”
No surprise the top three on this poll. Nice to see Storm though.
Quote:
According to a recent poll on EW.com, readers most want a Deadpool flick (24%), then Gambit (21%), X-Force (19%), Storm (17%), Mystique (11%), and lastly Magneto (8%).
Looking forward to the day when she says "we are making..." instead of "We'll see...".

Last edited by def28; 04-10-2014 at 09:59 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #31
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Fox isn't stupid. They lucked out by getting JLaw before she became the huge mega-star she is now.

But a solo Mystique film? No. As far as I know, Mystique has never really carried her on comic. She works better in ensembles. Would I like to see a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants movie with Mystique as the lead character? Yes. That would actually work .

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #32
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
As far as I know, Mystique has never really carried her on comic. She works better in ensembles. Would I like to see a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants movie with Mystique as the lead character? Yes. That would actually work .
Mystique has carried her own solo comic very well. A solo could be cool, but I agree we don't need this and she works more then fine in ensemble. More of the same and Fox needs to switch it up, Mystique has had plenty of screen time. I don't think Fox will get Lawrence past her contract for one more X flick either. Unless they pay alot.

Last edited by def28; 04-10-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #33
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Mystique has carried her own solo comic very well. A solo could be cool, but I agree we don't need this. More of the same and Fox needs to switch it up, Mystique has had plenty of screen time. I don't think Fox will get Lawrence past her contract for one more X flick either. Unless they pay alot.
I heard that she had plans to take a break from acting once she was done with her Hunger Games contract too so yeah, it's unlikely.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #34
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah, I don't see her coming back to this. She's gonna pick a passion project if anything.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #35
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Inless she sits out apocalpyse and does solo film instead no there won't be a mystique solo
film.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #36
BoredGuy
Killing Time

yeah a big old NO THANK YOU on this one
who cares? mystique's been in 5 damn movies already, move on to someone else

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #37
Loki882
Side-Kick

Which makes her perfect for a solo movie, she's already got exposure. Not to mention the Oscar-winning actress who's currently playing her. Sorry, but they're not going to just introduce a lesser-known mutant and then give them their own solo movie at the same time. Not going to happen.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #38
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Which makes her perfect for a solo movie, she's already got exposure. Not to mention the Oscar-winning actress who's currently playing her. Sorry, but they're not going to just introduce a lesser-known mutant and then give them their own solo movie at the same time. Not going to happen.
They are only going to give spin-offs to those who have first been In team films.
Jennifer Lawrence's populaary is only reason a Mystique film Is even been
talked about. If Gambit shows up In APocalypse maye they will spin-off him off Into his own film. There Is enough mythology with Gambit with thieves and assassins guilds to sustain a solo film without other X-Men. With deadpool he has been able to sustain long running solo books but they may first want him
In good film to forget about origins version first. So eather showing up In X-Men film or third wolverine first or whenever X-Force Is made.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #39
MakeMinesMarvel
Side-Kick

Im glad you guys dont run a studio. Your as short sighted as Rothman. Who cares about comic stories. Create your own stories hire talented screen writers and make a blockbuster with a female lead. I smell $$$

MakeMinesMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #40
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

It would be a waste of money. Team films and solo films with characters worthy of carrying his/her own franchise should be the priority.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #41
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

its the producers job to look at the wider picture and possible other movies they can get out of it, obviously there is a big chance it won't get made like there is a chance gambit and deadpool wont get made even though they say they would like to do it

Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #42
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMinesMarvel View Post
Im glad you guys dont run a studio. Your as short sighted as Rothman. Who cares about comic stories. Create your own stories hire talented screen writers and make a blockbuster with a female lead. I smell $$$
Thank you! I'm glad the producers see the potential in the same way I did when I started this thread many moons ago. I knew there was too much vocal nay-saying by the haters here, and not enough vision for what a good film this could be with the right story and filmmaker. Bring it!!!

Dr. Remy Lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #43
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

- Is there enough source material to mine for this film? Decades of backstory available... Yes.

- Would it make for an interesting diversion in the genre? Villain/anti-hero story with a female lead... Yes.

- Would it feature a talented and bankable star? Lawrence is a great actress, a rising star with a seemingly ever-expanding fanbase... Yes.

I'm down for this. Somehow I doubt it'll be more than another pitch on the pile marked "maybe someday" though. Would be particularly cool if Rebecca Romijn shared screen-time on it imo.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #44
def28
Side-Kick

The most important thing Fox can do for their franchise as a whole is release new properties that will not only expand the universe, but also be able to deliver sequels/reboots for the unseeable future by grabbing a new audience on top of the one they have. They won't be doing themselves any long term favors by sticking with the same character focus over and over. That's not expanding.

A Mystique film will be a one shot. She has her place within the main actors of the series and is now the female lead getting plenty of development. Ahead of multiple A list X-Men. We know how she started and how she ends. The key here is branching out into the unknown. Not the actress cash grab, that will only help the studio for a short amount of time.

If Lawrence is not in Apocalypse, then I could see this being a solid idea for Fox's sake to hold her for one last film given her popularity. Otherwise this franchise is gonna risk even more over saturation with the characters it chooses only to focus on.

There's a strong demand for the focus to be on other returning/New characters. They need to take that into consideration the most to avoid franchise fatigue. Which they are currently doing their best to get out off. Mystique is a great villain, but sooner or later the actual X-Men or other X teams need to be the ones branching out and getting the screen time people want.

Last edited by def28; 04-10-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #45
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see her coming back to this. She's gonna pick a passion project if anything.
If "Jennifer Lawrence Passion Project" means "film directed by David O. Russell" then I could see it.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #46
def28
Side-Kick

Nothing wrong with that though. Great perfomances and films.

She is in such high demand that she can lock herself into any film she wants, can only imagine the offers she gets. She's probably gonna want to pick a project that's more personal or has a Director she wants to work with. Happens alot. Her run on Hunger Games and X-Men ending in the next few years. Would be very surprised if she signed on for more big budget franchises.

Last edited by def28; 04-11-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:13 AM   #47
Dasher10
Side-Kick

If there's a film centered around Mystique, I'd rather it be X-Factor. She led Freedom Force and the second X-Factor (of which she was a member) claimed her as a member.

The rest of the team can be Multiple Man, Rictor, Forge, Polaris, Gambit and Layla Miller and Mystique would be dealing with Valerie Cooper as her superior with Cooper being this military brass type who's frequently at odds with Mystique over how the team is run and has to report directly to the President.

Moreover, X-Factor would go for a tone similar to Peter David's first run on the title. By that I mean almost a full-on comedy. This story needs to be really, really funny with how the characters interact with one another.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:26 AM   #48
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
We know how she started and how she ends.
We won't know that anymore(theoretically). Not after DOFP.

As far as this Lawrence/Mytsique spinoff idea goes, I'd be fine with it as long as FOX pushes forward with these other(more deserving) spinoffs. Give me X-Force/Deadpool FIRST.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:45 AM   #49
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
We won't know that anymore(theoretically). Not after DOFP.
Possibly, that could very well be true. But we can still piece together her origin and where she ends up much better then other characters. Which I guess is more my point. After this new tril, I think it's time to move on with a new focus and female lead. Plenty of X girls out there in need of screen time, good and bad.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #50
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
After this new tril, I think it's time to move on with a new focus and female lead. Plenty of X girls out there in need of screen time, good and bad.
I agree. My gut feeling is that they are gonna use XMA to ease Jean Grey(back) into the focus.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote