The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

View Poll Results: Which was the better phase 2 solo film?
Iron Man 3 14 7.69%
Thor: The Dark World 5 2.75%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 163 89.56%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #51
Destined
BOSS

Default Re: Phase 2: Which Avenger had the best solo film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
I'm surprised even one person picked Thor 2. Why though?
Ch...poor Thor. I really hope they turn it all the way up for his franchise for the third film. They haven't even tapped the bada**ness of Thor yet. He is so downplayed to me compared to the Comics and the show. And don't get me started on all that extra ish in his movies that does absolutely nothing for the film, I mean...just no. His movies have been decent and entertaining, but nothing memorable or outstanding, besides Loki, which is messed up. I pray they do him justice before his trilogy closes. He deserves that at least.

Destined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #52
The Endless
WE are Groot

Yea Thor is probably my favourite Avenger. It's a shame he himself hasn't truly been done justice. And i think Hemsworth is great in the role, he just hasn't had the material to work with yet.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #53
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I liked IM3, but CA:TWS takes the cake here. As I said, it may even be the best Marvel movie period (not just marvel studios).

This is good, because you want folks to build on what was established and raise the bar and CA:TWS did that, and then some.

TDW was a bit of a disappointment to me. I really felt like Antony Hopkins was not very invested in the film. It just felt to me like he was mailing it in. Hiddleston was great as always and the moments with him and Hemsworth were the best part of the film. I only wish the "betrayal" was a bigger part of the film and played out more. I realize Loki's ultimate betrayal was even larger than what was implied with his plans against Malekith.

IM3 was Lethal Weapon as a superhero movie, and I enjoyed it for that. It didn't have the emotional depth of TWS, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Cheadle did a great job and had a better part for him.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #54
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

After glancing at the poll options, I have to say "ouch" for the Hulk.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #55
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

1. Cap
2. Thor
3. Iron Man

and in that order.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #56
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

My Phase 2 tops so far:

1. Cap 2
2. IM 3
3. Thor 2

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #57
TTKano
TMNT!

C. America >>>>>IM3=Thor 2

TTKano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #58
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

CAP 2 EASILY. Tho I disagree with that it's "Avengers 1.5" it IS more of a SHIELD film than Avengers. SHIELD is more political spy than superhero

Cap2
TDW
IM3

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Last edited by Vartha; 04-09-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #59
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Of the three, I think I enjoyed Iron Man 3 the most. It was the most interesting film of the three. The Winter Solider was a great movie, but it was more of a standard action flick, albeit an exceptionally well made one. Iron Man 3 felt more fresh to me, while also being of equal quality. The Dark World was a mixed bag.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by The Question; 04-09-2014 at 09:13 PM.
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #60
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Cap 2 by a very large margin like others have said. One of the best CBMs ever. IM3 after that with Thor 2 lagging way behind both. First thing they need to do to fix Thor is find a fighting style for the dude. Really, no director has shown why he's vital to the Avengers yet. This needs to be shown in the 3rd film.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #61
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Cap - 8/10

IM3 - 6.5/10

Thor TDW - 5.5/10

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 04-10-2014 at 03:15 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #62
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Cap 2 by a very large margin like others have said. One of the best CBMs ever. IM3 after that with Thor 2 lagging way behind both. First thing they need to do to fix Thor is find a fighting style for the dude. Really, no director has shown why he's vital to the Avengers yet. This needs to be shown in the 3rd film.

Marvel hasn't even shown why Thor is vital to the Thor franchise, for cripes sake. Loki dominates those films and even Jane's freaking intern has her own story arc, while Thor himself and his supporting characters from the comic book are shoved to the side. The third film needs to correct that and put the focus of the entire story on Thor and his character arc or it will be another disappointment.

And let him fly, dammit. They need to stop nerfing Thor's powers because they can't think of a way to explain things. If the budget is the problem they can save a few million by cutting useless characters and put those salaries towards a better fight coordinator and flight animation.

xeno000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:29 AM   #63
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Agreed. The movies need a bit more of this:

Thor should be treated as the 'big gun'.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:36 AM   #64
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

Yeah the next Thor film needs to be focussed on Thor and the Asgardians. Let's see them working as a unit. The opening on the Chinese dude's homeworld was what I want to see more of.

That and more Sif and the Warriors Three. They were the soul of Thor 1, and got cast aside in TDW

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:40 AM   #65
Lord
All Mighty

They should do what AC/ DC did with Iron Man and just bring Manowar to this

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #66
TheVision

Now that SHIELD is gone, Cap 3 cant go the political conspiracy thriller route again, itll have to be a regular MCU film unless they come up with another subgenre to set it in (vampire film anyone? haha jk). Itll be interesting to see how the Russos adapt to that.

THOR: Loki has stole the show in those movies, so they def need to upgrade THOR like Cap in TWS.

Last edited by TheVision; 04-10-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #67
bannerrays

Cap, it was always the Phase 2 solo film I was most looking forward to and it definitely delivered.

bannerrays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #68
Loki882
Side-Kick

This isn't even close, it's Cap easily.

IM and 3 and TDW were both disappointing to me. Not "bad" per se, just underwhelming. The feeling of "wasted potential" hangs over those movies quite heavily. Cap's movie, on the other hand, was fantastic. It's so good that I actually have to think about if I prefer it or Avengers more, which is quite an accomplishment in an of itself.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
2. Iron Man 3.
3. Thor: The Dark World.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #69
piccolo
Doom is watching you

It blew my mind to find out the writers from Winter Soldier are the same writers from TDW. Not that TDW was BAD, but the different in quality of script and material in the two movies is colossal. How could they nail it so hard with Cap 2 and only just manage a decent flick in Thor?

piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #70
SilentWarriorZ
lemonidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Cap 2 one of the best Superhero made to date

Thor 2 was slightly above mediocre (It had so much potential and could have been so much better than it was)

IM3 was depressingly disappointing
Totally Agree with this .

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #71
TheVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
It blew my mind to find out the writers from Winter Soldier are the same writers from TDW. Not that TDW was BAD, but the different in quality of script and material in the two movies is colossal. How could they nail it so hard with Cap 2 and only just manage a decent flick in Thor?
I forgot all about that. I wish TDW had been as awesome as Cap 2. It was entertaining enough but didnt really do a lot for THOR as a character. Also Malekith was one of the most underwhelming/vacant villains so far. I dont even remember what he did in the movie.

I really loved Jon Favreaus films, and the fun tone/style they had. Ive watched Iron Man 1 and 2 now a ton and I still think Pt 2 is a really good film, even with its flaws. IM 3 I feel lost the cool Favreau tone but gained the wacky/offbeat Shane Black World ideas. So while I liked it, it also feels out of place too. I could make this analogy: youre going down the highway in your car (IM 1/2), then you take a detour down a side road (IM3) and while its an interesting diversion youd really like to get back on the highway.

Last edited by TheVision; 04-10-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #72
Destined
BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
Now that SHIELD is gone, Cap 3 cant go the political conspiracy thriller route again, itll have to be a regular MCU film unless they come up with another subgenre to set it in (vampire film anyone? haha jk). Itll be interesting to see how the Russos adapt to that.

THOR: Loki has stole the show in those movies, so they def need to upgrade THOR like Cap in TWS.
Well the Russo's already said the next one is a continuation of TWS story. So we're going to see lots of Bucky and of course Crossbones will make his return. The tone for the most part will probably be the same. We just have to see what will be the angle as for as villains go. But I expect an action thriller no less.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #73
Loki882
Side-Kick

TDW seemed to suffer from a lot of studio interference. I know that that's one of the complaints that has been lobbed at Marvel in general, but TDW is where I REALLY noticed it (IM 2 as well). Not just that two directors dropped out due to "creative differences" but the last-minute reshoots and the fact that when you watch the movie, it feels incomplete. I could tell immediately that the movie had been messed with in editing and pick out the places where ideas and character arcs were set up, but then dropped. Lady Sif's attraction to Thor being one of the most obvious of these plot-lines that were set up and then just abadoned. Also, I read interviews with the cast and crew and they seemed to hint at a lot of studio meddling as well. TWS didn't seem to have that problem (at least not nearly to the same degree), or IM 3 for that matter.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #74
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
Well the Russo's already said the next one is a continuation of TWS story. So we're going to see lots of Bucky and of course Crossbones will make his return. The tone for the most part will probably be the same. We just have to see what will be the angle as for as villains go. But I expect an action thriller no less.
They could also bring in Baron Zemo and maybe Sin (the Red Skull's daughter). Also, they can make Sharon the main female character in Cap 3.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #75
Destined
BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
They could also bring in Baron Zemo and maybe Sin (the Red Skull's daughter). Also, they can make Sharon the main female character in Cap 3.
Yeah that too. I honestly don't care for Sharon's character so whatever they do with her makes me none. But she will be more involved definitely for the next. Not sure about female lead because honestly I don't think she's appealing enough like Widow. Plus, Chris wants Widow back for 3 mentioning the movie benefited a lot from her being in it, which I agree. Scarlett was a huge draw for this film so we'll see what they decide to do, there will be many characters that's for sure.