The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

View Poll Results: Which was the better phase 2 solo film?
Iron Man 3 14 7.69%
Thor: The Dark World 5 2.75%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 163 89.56%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #76
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: Phase 2: Which Avenger had the best solo film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
Well the Russo's already said the next one is a continuation of TWS story. So we're going to see lots of Bucky and of course Crossbones will make his return. The tone for the most part will probably be the same. We just have to see what will be the angle as for as villains go. But I expect an action thriller no less.
Yeah itll def be another action thriller but with no SHIELD/HYDRA stuff, it will lose that cool conspiracy angle that made TWS so intriguing. Im sure by now they know how to continue the same kind of excitement and substitute something new for that. Plus itll take place in the aftermath of AOU, so theres sure to be more interesting story/plot going on anyway.

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #77
drod1985
Side-Kick

Cap 3 might could trade the conspiracy angle for some mystery. They'll be hunting Bucky down, after all. Might be cool to see Bucky on the run, with Cap chasing him down to restore him and Crossbones chasing him down to get The Winter Soldier back to business with Hydra...

drod1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #78
daddydivine
Side-Kick

Phase 1 Cap was the weakest link to me - After phase 2 Cap I see why Cap is the leader of the Avengers. That takes some great directing.

daddydivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #79
Destined
BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
Yeah itll def be another action thriller but with no SHIELD/HYDRA stuff, it will lose that cool conspiracy angle that made TWS so intriguing. Im sure by now they know how to continue the same kind of excitement and substitute something new for that. Plus itll take place in the aftermath of AOU, so theres sure to be more interesting story/plot going on anyway.
Yeah there is definitely the aftermath of AOU to consider. The great thing is the directors read the script already and they're satisfied where it leaves Cap. Ugh I'm so curious! I want to know lol. But we'll all be waiting to see where good ole Cap story leads no doubt.

Destined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #80
TheVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by drod1985 View Post
Cap 3 might could trade the conspiracy angle for some mystery. They'll be hunting Bucky down, after all. Might be cool to see Bucky on the run, with Cap chasing him down to restore him and Crossbones chasing him down to get The Winter Soldier back to business with Hydra...
An action-mystery thriller would be very cool. Like a race to get to Bucky between Cap who wants to save him and Crossbones/Strucker who want to use him to kill.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #81
Destined
BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drod1985 View Post
That's what I'm thinking too. It definitely will be more mystery involved just from what Widow telling Cap about not wanting to pull on that thread. I think things will definitely be revealed in AOU that could be connected what the things that happened to Bucky and this will give Cap an even more clear path for Cap 3.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #82
TheVision

What if.....Bucky shows up in AOU? People would love it.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #83
onyxrose81
Side-Kick

It's Cap 2 for me...the other don't even rate. There were parts of IM3 I enjoyed (and I didn't mind the Mandarin twist...I don't get why that's a problem for people) but ultimately, I just was not fulfilled. TDW was a complete and utter mess.

onyxrose81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #84
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
It blew my mind to find out the writers from Winter Soldier are the same writers from TDW. Not that TDW was BAD, but the different in quality of script and material in the two movies is colossal. How could they nail it so hard with Cap 2 and only just manage a decent flick in Thor?
Because they only wrote the last draft of it with Yost,they were not the original writers.Don Payne was the first writer on it.

Last edited by First Avenger; 04-10-2014 at 02:07 PM.
First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #85
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Cap by such a wide margin it is immeasurable.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #86
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

I'm curious why so many people liked Captain America more than Iron Man. They were, by my estimation, of equal quality, but while Captain America was a fairly traditional (albeit exceptionally well made and thoughtful) action film, Iron Man 3 was a very unique and fresh experience. It tried a lot of new things with the character and the genre and took a lot of creative risks that I felt were very successful. That's what pushes it over the edge for me. I'm not looking to start a fight or anything, everyone is of course entitled to their own preferences, I'm just curious about how others feel the two films stack up against each other.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #87
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I'm curious why so many people liked Captain America more than Iron Man. They were, by my estimation, of equal quality, but while Captain America was a fairly traditional (albeit exceptionally well made and thoughtful) action film, Iron Man 3 was a very unique and fresh experience. It tried a lot of new things with the character and the genre and took a lot of creative risks that I felt were very successful. That's what pushes it over the edge for me. I'm not looking to start a fight or anything, everyone is of course entitled to their own preferences, I'm just curious about how others feel the two films stack up against each other.
I think it's because some people feel as though IM3 wasn't executed so well whereas Cap 2 was. I wouldn't say they are of the same quality. I love IM3 and think the concept is very interesting but I don't think it was executed as well as Cap 2 was.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #88
TheVision

IM 3 felt like a wacky Shane Black/RDJ experiment to me, I enjoyed it but Cap 2 had a current events type story and also increased all the cool things about the character. It was much more satisfying.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #89
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

I really liked Killian's plan and Guy Pearce's performance. And I absolutely loved Kingsley's performance and of course RDJ. It had a really strong first act but the (imo) excessive humour and underwhelming third act kind of brought it down for me. It's still my 3rd favourite MCU solo movie.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #90
Hellion
He's Not Serious

Captain America: The Winter Soldier > Thor: The Dark World > Iron Man 3

For me…at least.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #91
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I feel the same way of Cap 2 as you feel about IM3. TWS feels more fresh for me in terms of scope, content, and execution. With IM3, I got exactly what I was expecting in terms of style when I heard Shane Black is directing - akin to Lethal Weapon (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

There are other reasons as well, but the main difference is I thought Cap 2 was much better written and had more depth, including much better social commentary. We're probably polar opposites on this, but I thought IM3's social commentary was extremely latched on. It didn't come off natural; heck, I'll go as far as to say that it felt like a political agenda to me. It's not so much the message itself (which I agree with), but the way it was presented/integrated in the movie. Whereas TWS made it feel more natural and with more heart.

Plus, TWS features the demolition of SHIELD (I dislike SHIELD in the comics).

Last edited by Shikamaru; 04-10-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #92
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

1. Thor: The Dark World
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Iron Man 3

I liked them all though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
CAP 2 EASILY. Tho I disagree with that it's "Avengers 1.5" it IS more of a SHIELD film than Avengers. SHIELD is more political spy than superhero

Cap2
TDW
IM3
Vartha, I'm shocked!

Last edited by The_Manhunter; 04-10-2014 at 07:26 PM.
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #93
batboy99
BTVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Manhunter View Post
1. Thor: The Dark World
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Iron Man 3

I liked them all though.

Vartha, I'm shocked!

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #94
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy99 View Post

1. The Dark Knight 2. Man of Steel 3. Guardians of the Galaxy 4. The Avengers 5. The Dark Knight Rises 6. Thor: The Dark World 7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 8. Batman Begins 9. Thor 10. Iron Man
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #95
Destined
BOSS

In agreement with pretty much what everyone has said. TWS was just the better film through cohesiveness. The Russo's balanced plot, grounded tone, developed characters, executed story, delivered top notch action without it being forced, gave us an accurate threatening villain and upgraded the hell out of Cap while maintaining the heart of who he is. Add an outstanding cast and this movie is just superior in every way. So much win.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #96
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Just curious, what changes would you all have made to IM3 and Thor TDW to bring them up to Cap's level?

As everyone says, they had so much potential. So if Marvel got redos on both, what would you change?

For me, I'd tone down the humor by A LOT for both movies. Honestly, the humor killed them for me. It wasn't as bad in IM3 (still really bad), but for TDW....Let's just say Thor's greatest enemy wasn't Malekeith or Kurse or Loki.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It was Darcy.

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #97
batboy99
BTVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Manhunter View Post

I liked TDW, but I feel it fell short to the first and definitely not on par with TWS.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #98
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Just curious, what changes would you all have made to IM3 and Thor TDW to bring them up to Cap's level?

As everyone says, they had so much potential. So if Marvel got redos on both, what would you change?

For me, I'd tone down the humor by A LOT for both movies. Honestly, the humor killed them for me. It wasn't as bad in IM3 (still really bad), but for TDW....Let's just say Thor's greatest enemy wasn't Malekeith or Kurse or Loki.

It was Darcy.
IM3:

-Cut out some of the comedy and have a more consistent tone.
-If this is supposed to be Tony facing his greatest test and being back in the proverbial "cave" like he was in IM, then take that seriously. You know what wasn't present in that cave in IM 1, a lot of comedy.
-Explain Extremis better.
-Give Maya Hansen more of a role. In the Extremis comic, she's hugely important. In the movie, she's kind of pointless.
-Have Sir Ben Kingsley actually be the Mandarin (no twist). Killian can be his ally/scientific adviser.
-Don't gloss over Pepper getting cured at the end or Tony getting his Arc Reactor taken out at the end in a quick scene. God was that lazy, especially for two things that had been built up to be really hard to fix.

Thor: TDW:

-Again, cut out some (not all) of the comedy and establish a more consistent tone.
-Either reduce the Earth characters screentime, or cut them out of the movie entirely. They served no real purpose other than to be annoying.
-Come up with a less contrived way to get Jane to Asgard and actually DEVELOP her romance with Thor if we're supposed to buy in as this great love story.
-Give Sif and the Warriors 3 more screentime and actually develop them as characters.
-Give Malekith more screentime and develop him as a character more. Or at least give him more motivation than "I'm an evil douche."
-Don't have the final battle take place on Earth.
-COME UP WITH BETTER STORY!! This one was paper-thin and just there to string along a bunch of action scenes. TWS proved that you could have lots of cool action scenes AND also a compelling story at the same time, so do it.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #99
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

This isn't even a conversation. Captain America: The Winter Soldier was by far the best solo-MCU film of phase 2 for an Avenger.

I would say for me, Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World are pretty close in quality. I flip flop on them all the time.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 04-10-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #100
Destined
BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post

It was Darcy.
For IM3:
-Tone down forced humor
-Actually use Rhodes as Iron Patriot more than what they did
-Have Tony as Iron Man more than what they did, especially in the end
-Actually have Kingsley as the true Mandarin in the movie
-Cut the kid scenes to minimally if not all of it.

For TDW:
-No Darcy or assistant
-Very little Jane
-Very little Midgard
-More Sif and the Warriors 3
-Better villain
-A better threat to Asgard
-No streaking or pantless Selvig
-Much more serious tone
-Better script in general
-And all those awesome scenes that were cut, would've been in the movie