View Poll Results: Which film is better
Thor (2011) 86 38.57%
Thor: The Dark World (2013) 116 52.02%
Tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2014, 05:27 AM   #251
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Loki is basically Gloucester from William Shakespeare's King Lear. It was an interesting narrative choice on Marvel's side, to just copy and paste a Shakespeare character. It has worked out well for them.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:34 AM   #252
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Once again, how so?
Things like that are hard to explain, i don't know exactly how they could have improved it, but to me it felt forced and the way the character fell into villainy didn't seem to make much sence to me. For centuries he has been living the living in a kind of perfect world, then all of a sudden after discovering his heritage and his father telling him that he may get the throne yet, he betrays his brother and goes on a rampage to kill an entire race. All in 2 days by the way.

The execution, the writting, all that seemed very off to me when it comes to his villainy. I guess it's more of a clash in cultures when it comes to this opinion. In the Avengers all you critics seemed to love him and the movie, in my country most critics and people i know found him to be the weakest aspect in that film.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #253
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Things like that are hard to explain, i don't know exactly how they could have improved it, but to me it felt forced and the way the character fell into villainy didn't seem to make much sence to me. For centuries he has been living the living in a kind of perfect world, then all of a sudden after discovering his heritage and his father telling him that he may get the throne yet, he betrays his brother and goes on a rampage to kill an entire race. All in 2 days by the way.

The execution, the writting, all that seemed very off to me when it comes to his villainy. I guess it's more of a clash in cultures when it comes to this opinion. In the Avengers all you critics seemed to love him and the movie, in my country most critics and people i know found him to be the weakest aspect in that film.
The 2 days thing I agree could have been handled better. But, Loki's decent into evil didn't start there. He obviously had been going mad over time due to jealousy and anger toward Thor and Odin. While we don't see those seeds fully blossom until he discovers his true nature, we do see that he had anger and frustration toward them even before the trip to Jotunheim.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #254
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
The 2 days thing I agree could have been handled better. But, Loki's decent into evil didn't start there. He obviously had been going mad over time due to jealousy and anger toward Thor and Odin. While we don't see those seeds fully blossom until he discovers his true nature, we do see that he had anger and frustration toward them even before the trip to Jotunheim.
Which is why there SHOULD be a Tales of Asgard or Son of Asgard with younger Version of all the characters.
I mean Showing the Trials Thor had to go through to even begin to Pick Mjolnir up would be a cool film

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:29 PM   #255
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

This is gonna sounds like a BS random change of heart for no reason, as I've voiced my dislike for TDW on numerous occasions, but I saw it a third time on Blu a few days ago and I liked it a a good deal more on a third go round.

For one thing, the film looked SO much better on Blu then it did the two times I saw it in theaters. My theater definitely has a lighting problem. The visuals in the film were murky as hell in my first viewing which was 3D, and just as murky in 2D, leaving me to believe the film was just shot poorly. The Blu made the film much more visually appealing. I still stand by my statement that Asgard is more bland and muted and I prefer the look in the first film, but visually the Blu experience was an incredibly marked improvement.

I honestly think the murky quality of the theater took me out of the film more than I realized. The plot had better flow than I remember and the action (which was one of my biggest issues) fares better. I still think they haven't really given Thor the chance to shine like he needs to and a peeve I have is his over reliance on his hammer. It's like he can't do crap without it. I mean, Frigga can take out Malekith (would have if Kurse didn't show up) but Thor can barely take him on? And the Kurse fight is still a bitter disappointment, but overall the action isn't as formless and bland as I remembered either.

Malekith and the Dark Elves had a bit more presence than I recall as well. Loved their design. I still think Malekith needed a bit more screen time and little more detailed motives. But he is a serviceable villain.

I never had a problem with the humor and still don't. And lastly, Thor felt more central to the narrative this time. My first viewing he felt like the least important part of the whole film, a film named after him. I think my first viewing was so bad that I let the second one slip by without chance cementing my dislike of the film.

I still have some major issues, but many of them have been smoothed over, weren't as bad as I recalled, or went away.

I'm bumping up my 5/10 to a 7/10. A fun flick.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #256
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
This is gonna sounds like a BS random change of heart for no reason, as I've voiced my dislike for TDW on numerous occasions, but I saw it a third time on Blu a few days ago and I liked it a a good deal more on a third go round.

For one thing, the film looked SO much better on Blu then it did the two times I saw it in theaters. My theater definitely has a lighting problem. The visuals in the film were murky as hell in my first viewing which was 3D, and just as murky in 2D, leaving me to believe the film was just shot poorly. The Blu made the film much more visually appealing. I still stand by my statement that Asgard is more bland and muted and I prefer the look in the first film, but visually the Blu experience was an incredibly marked improvement.

I honestly think the murky quality of the theater took me out of the film more than I realized. The plot had better flow than I remember and the action (which was one of my biggest issues) fares better. I still think they haven't really given Thor the chance to shine like he needs to and a peeve I have is his over reliance on his hammer. It's like he can't do crap without it. I mean, Frigga can take out Malekith (would have if Kurse didn't show up) but Thor can barely take him on? And the Kurse fight is still a bitter disappointment, but overall the action isn't as formless and bland as I remembered either.

Malekith and the Dark Elves had a bit more presence than I recall as well. Loved their design. I still think Malekith needed a bit more screen time and little more detailed motives. But he is a serviceable villain.

I never had a problem with the humor and still don't. And lastly, Thor felt more central to the narrative this time. My first viewing he felt like the least important part of the whole film, a film named after him. I think my first viewing was so bad that I let the second one slip by without chance cementing my dislike of the film.

I still have some major issues, but many of them have been smoothed over, weren't as bad as I recalled, or went away.

I'm bumping up my 5/10 to a 7/10. A fun flick.
Kryptonian Warrior hadn't seen it in Theaters and Watched the Bluray on his screen at home and was amazed at the detail. I don't think it's BS at all GZ. lol glad you gave it another chance tho

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #257
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I still think they haven't really given Thor the chance to shine like he needs to and a peeve I have is his over reliance on his hammer. It's like he can't do crap without it. I mean, Frigga can take out Malekith (would have if Kurse didn't show up) but Thor can barely take him on?
I agree that they can certainly let Thor cut loose a bit more with power than they have this far. I kind of doubt Age of Ultron changes that but I would really like it to be the case. I don't quite understand what you mean with the Frigga and Thor vs Malekith comparison though. Frigga fights a normal dark elf while Thor fights someone that's wielding one of the infinity stones, so I don't think it's very easy to compare that. Thor's glancing blow with lightning scarred the normal Malekith badly and forced him into some form of rejuvenating/healing sleep.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #258
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I agree that they can certainly let Thor cut loose a bit more with power than they have this far. I kind of doubt Age of Ultron changes that but I would really like it to be the case. I don't quite understand what you mean with the Frigga and Thor vs Malekith comparison though. Frigga fights a normal dark elf while Thor fights someone that's wielding one of the infinity stones, so I don't think it's very easy to compare that. Thor's glancing blow with lightning scarred the normal Malekith badly and forced him into some form of rejuvenating/healing sleep.
Before Frigga bit the big one, she had the drop on Malekith big time. Only the intervention by Kurse saved him. During the final battle Thor got his butt kicked. He just seemed a tad too de-powered for my liking, with Loki saving his butt from Kurse and all. He just seemed way to reliant on Mjolnir.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 PM   #259
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Before Frigga bit the big one, she had the drop on Malekith big time. Only the intervention by Kurse saved him. During the final battle Thor got his butt kicked. He just seemed a tad too de-powered for my liking, with Loki saving his butt from Kurse and all. He just seemed way to reliant on Mjolnir.
Dude are you serious? Malekith absorbed the power of the AETHER which is an Infinity Stone before his fight with Thor, that's not comparable at all.

Malekith with Aether >>>>>>> Normal Malekith since you don't seem to grasp that concept.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:26 AM   #260
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Kurse beats Thor that hard in the comics too. If anything he showed impressive durability there. And Malekith was using a freaking infinity stone against him.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:39 AM   #261
Lord
All Mighty

Frigga went out like a true boss.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 04-01-2014, 02:40 AM   #262
The Endless
WE are Groot

Thor still hasn't bee done justice in terms of power and abilities though. Whilst fighting Kurse instead of going toe to toe he should have taken a more tactical approach. Create a tornado. Stay in the air etc.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:18 AM   #263
Cymbeline

I think Thor is better in TTDW and Hemswoth is more comfortable with the role. I liked Asgard more in TTDW, in the first movie it looked cheap. I liked Loki more in the first movie, cunning and always plotting. I liked the shakespearean vibe of Thor.

Cymbeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #264
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Dude are you serious? Malekith absorbed the power of the AETHER which is an Infinity Stone before his fight with Thor, that's not comparable at all.

Malekith with Aether >>>>>>> Normal Malekith since you don't seem to grasp that concept.
Good point, lol.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #265
Lord
All Mighty

They should just embrace the epicness and as done with AC/ DC for Iron Man, they should pick Manowar to do some soundtrack for a Thor film

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #266
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbeline View Post
I think Thor is better in TTDW and Hemswoth is more comfortable with the role. I liked Asgard more in TTDW, in the first movie it looked cheap. I liked Loki more in the first movie, cunning and always plotting. I liked the shakespearean vibe of Thor.
I think Hemsworth was a better fit for the arrogant, new to earth Thor from the first, personally.

GL: 4/10. SR: 6.5/10. BB: 8/10. TDK: 9/10. TDKR: 5/10. MOS: 6/10.

SM: 8/10. SM2: 7/10. SM3: 4/10. TASM: 6.5/10 TASM2: 6/10.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #267
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Thor is more tightly plotted and the humor's stronger on the whole. Brash Thor is also way more entertaining and interesting to watch for me personally. But I gotta say, TDW is overall more fun, if more sloppy. Loki's great in both, but him clowning Thor is an original approach for the progression of the character that I really like. I've also been more tempted to return to TDW than the first for sho; so despite the forced Earth (mainly Darcy of course) stuff, I'll give that the edge. The finale is also more visually fun and creative.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #268
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Also,I would like to point out that this is the most creative MCU movie for me so far.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #269
Cymbeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
I think Hemsworth was a better fit for the arrogant, new to earth Thor from the first, personally.
Yes, I see your point. I think it is something very subjective, I don't know why I did not like Thor so much in the first film , even if I'm a huge Thor fan and thought that Hemsworth was perfectly cast.

Cymbeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #270
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbeline View Post
Yes, I see your point. I think it is something very subjective, I don't know why I did not like Thor so much in the first film , even if I'm a huge Thor fan and thought that Hemsworth was perfectly cast.
I really like both Thor and Loki in all three movies they've been in and I find them one of the best duos in comic book films overall. Still I find that they get better and better at playing their roles so I do think they were better in TDW than in Thor.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #271
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Thor in TDW was boring, while still being really foolish and unfit to lead
versus Thor in Thor who was an adorably charming jackass

Loki has been perfect in all three movies, but Thor has gone downhill
and I agree with whoever said he was all Mjolnir in TDW
we didn't even get to see a whirlwind this time, so much for Hemworth's "we wanna show more of what he can do" stuff

the more I think about TDW, the more it kinda pisses me off
hopefully Thor 3 gets back to the fun, but not the forced kat dennings variety, the "Thor is f***in' s**t up" variety

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #272
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Thor in TDW was boring, while still being really foolish and unfit to lead
versus Thor in Thor who was an adorably charming jackass

Loki has been perfect in all three movies, but Thor has gone downhill
and I agree with whoever said he was all Mjolnir in TDW
we didn't even get to see a whirlwind this time, so much for Hemworth's "we wanna show more of what he can do" stuff

the more I think about TDW, the more it kinda pisses me off
hopefully Thor 3 gets back to the fun, but not the forced kat dennings variety, the "Thor is f***in' s**t up" variety
I am exactly the same, the movie frustrates me more and more when I think of what we got compared to what we could have had.

I loved The Winter Soldier, but even that made dislike TDW more because TWS was so good. I wish Marvel would have out half the effort they put into TWS into TDW so Thor 2 would have been a much better movie.

On the positive side though, I really hope TWS is a turning point for Marvel, they have surely seen all of the positive reactions to it and will hopefully put this much effort into their other solo movies going forward. Because TWS really is a great movie, one that may even be better than The Avengers.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:10 AM   #273
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I am exactly the same, the movie frustrates me more and more when I think of what we got compared to what we could have had.

I loved The Winter Soldier, but even that made dislike TDW more because TWS was so good. I wish Marvel would have out half the effort they put into TWS into TDW so Thor 2 would have been a much better movie.

On the positive side though, I really hope TWS is a turning point for Marvel, they have surely seen all of the positive reactions to it and will hopefully put this much effort into their other solo movies going forward. Because TWS really is a great movie, one that may even be better than The Avengers.
You know I don't think the different quality of these movies is all Marvel's fault,it is about the different creative teams behind them. I am 100% sure that people who worked on TWS were more passionate and,probably,talented than those who worked on TDW. I mean Don Payne(RIP) was the first writer on the project and all the different drafts were variations of his original script.The intergalactic phone call was his idea after all.

I really believe that the test screenings they held were not as strong as they hoped so they heavily reworked in the editing room(case in point the first two scenes were not in the movie)to give people a more accessible movie.I think the two biggest problems of this production were the weak script they had and Alan Taylor's inexperience/lack of passion for it.

That said I still love this movie probably more than most and with the Yost-Kyle duo I have high hopes for Thor 3 and yes,TWS is a freaking masterpiece of the genre.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #274
Malik
Side-Kick

Thor numero uno tbh.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #275
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post

Especially since Malekith is the only one who truly understands how to use the Aether.

1. The Dark Knight 2. Man of Steel 3. Guardians of the Galaxy 4. The Avengers 5. The Dark Knight Rises 6. Thor: The Dark World 7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 8. Batman Begins 9. Thor 10. Iron Man
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote