The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #626
Masone
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
I do think its a little too convenient they didn't introduce that, as it would've solved 80% of the conflicts in the movie. (I finally watched it, by the way. Kinda boring, honestly.)

Between the oil rig, the school bus, numerous encounters with bullies he surely must have had (even if he didn't fight back, he no doubt noticed their moves), the briefing from Jor-El, and just the basic common sense it takes to dodge a punch and put out a fire (and had he not figured out how to fly around objects by then?), I have a hard time believing he was completely unprepared for a situation like that. And I really don't see any reason why his "morals" should have resulted in him getting knocked around that much.
How on Earth does one prepare themselves for a situation like what transpired in the movie? That's like saying because I've walked and ran all my life, I should be prepared for a building collapsing while I'm in it.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #627
EssayM
Just A Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masone View Post
How on Earth does one prepare themselves for a situation like what transpired in the movie? That's like saying because I've walked and ran all my life, I should be prepared for a building collapsing while I'm in it.
I'm not saying he should have been an expert at it or anything, but I don't think he needed to be quite so incompetent or easily defeated. Unless we want to open up the "Kevin Costner was a horrible father" can of worms, which I don't quite yet.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #628
Masone
Side-Kick

He acted as if he had never been in a situation like that before, which he wasn't. He was just inexperienced. That's more realistic. I found that to be a breath of fresh air.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #629
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
He acted as if he had never been in a situation like that before, which he wasn't. He was just inexperienced. That's more realistic. I found that to be a breath of fresh air.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #630
kguillou
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
There are legitimate criticisms to be made. The pacing is wonky in places (cutting immediately from Superman anguish to what is essentially a comedy scene for example). Some of the supporting cast was underused, etc. However, my problem is that a lot of criticism isn't accurate. They're either misrepresenting what happened in the movie, or just making crap up. Stuff like "Superman wrecked half of Metropolis." NO HE DIDN'T. First off all, half of Metropolis wasn't destroyed period, not even close. Second, Zod's WE/gravity beam combo did 99.9% of the damage before Superman even got there, and then during the final brawl, Zod STILL did the vast majority of the damage. When people make complaints like that, then I take issue with them, because they're not being accurate.
THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS. I am so sick of that argument which is just plain not true. What happened to Metropolis is NOT superman's fault and he was doing the best he could to stop Zod from destroying more of it.

It just baffles me that for the first time like ever in superhero cinema we finally get a truly epic looking superpowered battle and people do nothing but complain about it. Its entertainment, people. Sit back and enjoy it. Snyder did one heck of a job constructing a visually stunning brawl between two super powered beings. I would LOVE to see what he could do with a Superman vs Darkseid battle.

Last edited by kguillou; 04-20-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:43 PM   #631
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
There are legitimate criticisms to be made. The pacing is wonky in places (cutting immediately from Superman anguish to what is essentially a comedy scene for example). Some of the supporting cast was underused, etc. However, my problem is that a lot of criticism isn't accurate. They're either misrepresenting what happened in the movie, or just making crap up. Stuff like "Superman wrecked half of Metropolis." NO HE DIDN'T. First off all, half of Metropolis wasn't destroyed period, not even close. Second, Zod's WE/gravity beam combo did 99.9% of the damage before Superman even got there, and then during the final brawl, Zod STILL did the vast majority of the damage. When people make complaints like that, then I take issue with them, because they're not being accurate.
Oh...this.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 04-21-2014, 02:34 AM   #632
bluerayer
The Man From Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I would give it a 6, but keep in mind that i rarelly give a 10.
Like i said, i dont like grades but if i had to give a 10, then the only movie i can think of is Blade Runner.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 AM   #633
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's perfectly legitimate to discuss Snyder's artistic decisions in the Snyder thread.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #634
Spamtron
THE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
It's decent. Not bad, but not great either. The writing and the whole "critique of sexist ideas while pandering to those who have such ideas" is the issue. Zack tried to go deeper with this movie, but failed. It just comes off as hot chicks fighting robots in school girl outfits.
As I said, I was going off the last couple pages of posts, in which your only critique was stated above... going by this you did not get it. No ill will intended, I did not intend to pick on any one person, and if that was all you saw in the film then no wonder you didn't like it. If that's all I saw it to be, I would be stating the same thing.
If you meant to say something other than the above to reflect how you got Sucker Punch according to what Zack stated he was trying to do with the film, then I am sorry I missed wherever you typed such a thing.
This is not directed to you specifically, most of the non-likers posted similar quick dismissals of the movie for very superficial reasons, showing they did not get the film at all.
The best I can offer is how I saw the film, if that helps seeing the various points of view on the subject.

I saw Sucker Punch as the story of a girl who failed in an effort to protect her sister from a sexually abusive father figure that was thrust upon them by tragic circumstances. She was not only blamed and institutionalized by that abusive father figure, but also self-blamed for her sister's end. To cope with the horrible world within the institution of more abusive males in charge, and also to cope with what she has lived through so far, her mind creates quite fantastical layers of imagination that her and her new cohabitants exist within. Her fantastical imaginary world even within a slightly imaginary world, is displayed to us in an amazing visionary I see as a live action version of some pretty cool anime at that last layer of coping. One coping world is the implied sex club(just a tad step up from the institution, so level 1 of coping), which actually is not fully shown thankfully due to the interjection of the next coping world done in the anime style. The skimpy outfits, schoolgirl(which is befitting a very young looking little girl nicknamed BabyDoll) or otherwise, are very superficial to what each of those characters accomplish in that last layer imaginary world, where they can be at their most confident and powerful.
----interjection-----
As you I'm sure know women at their most confident and secure level in their own bodies will wear things much more revealing compared to when they are at a lower confidence. As much as some prefer to superficially focus on outfits in the movie, I do not view that as a problem...there was not one bit of actual nudity or sex even displayed in this movie. And frankly the outfits of the final heroine level were more tasteful than plenty of Wonder Woman outfits that have been penned. In the world of movies, tv, and media in general, EVERYONE prefers to look at aesthetically pleasing people. Man or woman, doesn't matter... and it is proven in studies that even women will gaze longer at an aesthetically attractive woman as long as any man would, if not longer.
-------------------
In the end the girl, coping in a horrible world with various levels of imagination, finally does sacrifice/redeem herself in saving one of her newly adopted sisters in situation. Her imaginary layers of worlds is ended by the lobotomy, but even in that state we still get to see a tidbit of retribution on another abusive male in the horrible "real" world, as well as a helping hand bus driver to the saved "sister" who just so happens to be a "real" world representation of her only good father figure deep in the most fantastical layer of coping imagination.

That's what I got out of it, and that is why I liked Sucker Punch.
I don't intend to force my view of it on anyone, I'd just prefer if someone asks if they should watch it, that they get more than a quick superficial retort as to why they shouldn't waste their time from only the people who didn't seem to get it the same way I did.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #635
Spamtron
THE MAN

Quote:
I do think its a little too convenient they didn't introduce that, as it would've solved 80% of the conflicts in the movie. (I finally watched it, by the way. Kinda boring, honestly.)

Between the oil rig, the school bus, numerous encounters with bullies he surely must have had (even if he didn't fight back, he no doubt noticed their moves), the briefing from Jor-El, and just the basic common sense it takes to dodge a punch and put out a fire (and had he not figured out how to fly around objects by then?), I have a hard time believing he was completely unprepared for a situation like that. And I really don't see any reason why his "morals" should have resulted in him getting knocked around that much.

I think Snyder did great at showing how badly an inexperienced fighter would do up against someone with honed skills approaching a similar power level.
By your theory, you should be able step into an MMA ring with a jiujitsu expert the same size as you, having never actually fought anyone in your entire life and end up winning by choking him out in two rounds because you happening to watch kung-fu theater as a kid on Sundays.
If you watched the movie without any prejudice you may have seen the rest of his life showing how much fighting he never did until the moment krypto-fu was laid upon him.

I agree with the folks here stating the movie showed Superman did the best he could against the foes in this one.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #636
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Just FYI Zod let Superman kill him.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #637
Spamtron
THE MAN

Yeah, I'd agree with that to a point... he probably could've reversal-ed that and kept going, but he had no purpose anymore anyway and still needed to go out on a glorious battle high note thanks to his breeding.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #638
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Just FYI Zod let Superman kill him.
This. It's amazing how people missed this subtle detail. He wanted the Kryptonian council to kill him, only to have him banished to a prison (meaning he witnessed the destruction of his planet and its people...which makes him purposeless to an extent). Kal-El denied his wish to have Krypton revived (meaning that Zod witnessed the destruction of his only hope of reviving Krypton and the death of his fellow members, making him fully useless...so much so that he'd rather die than live with no purpose).

Zod had a death wish that was denied twice until he forces Superman to kill him.

Last edited by InJustice; 04-21-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #639
Masone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamtron View Post
Yeah, I'd agree with that to a point... he probably could've reversal-ed that and kept going, but he had no purpose anymore anyway and still needed to go out on a glorious battle high note thanks to his breeding.
"I exist only to protect Krypton. That is the sole purpose for which I was born. And every action I take, no matter how violent or how cruel, is for the greater good of my people. And now... I have no people. My soul, that is what you have taken from me!"

"There is only one way this ends, Kal, either you die or I do."

He definitely wanted to die. Probably would have killed himself anyway if he managed to kill Superman. His sole purpose at that point was to destroy Superman, maybe he realized that making the boy scout kill was another way of destroying him.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #640
teagone
Countryside General

Quote:

He definitely wanted to die. Probably would have killed himself anyway if he managed to kill Superman. His sole purpose at that point was to destroy Superman, maybe he realized that making the boy scout kill was another way of destroying him.
If he managed to kill Clark, Zod would have killed everyone on the planet first. Then maybe himself.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #641
Spamtron
THE MAN

Quote:
"I exist only to protect Krypton. That is the sole purpose for which I was born. And every action I take, no matter how violent or how cruel, is for the greater good of my people. And now... I have no people. My soul, that is what you have taken from me!"

Was there something missing from the part where I agreed with DA's comment? Pretty sure those bolded statements were covered in my sentence right?

That would be a hilarious alternate ending... Zod reversals on Supes, beats him, wipes out everyone else, then snaps his own neck...the end. Nobody could argue their "tone" issues anymore at that point.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #642
Masone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamtron View Post
Was there something missing from the part where I agreed with DA's comment? Pretty sure those bolded statements were covered in my sentence right?

That would be a hilarious alternate ending... Zod reversals on Supes, beats him, wipes out everyone else, then snaps his own neck...the end. Nobody could argue their "tone" issues anymore at that point.
I didn't say you disagreed, I was backing up your post.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #643
Spamtron
THE MAN

Quote:
I didn't say you disagreed, I was backing up your post.
Got it... sorry I misread.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #644
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Default Zack snyder: Director of the justice league

Quote:
Warner Bros. Details Plans for ‘Justice League’ Movie (Exclusive)
By Ben Fritz
8:26 PM ET
April 27, 2014

First came “Man of Steel.” Next up is “Batman vs. Superman.” And then, “Justice League.”

Confirming the studio’s plans for a movie based on its iconic super-team for the first time, Warner Bros. president of worldwide production Greg Silverman said the studio has set plans to make a “Justice League” movie.

Like “Man of Steel” and its follow-up, which starts production next month, “Justice League” will be directed by Zack Snyder. Henry Cavill is expected to return as Superman, along with Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot, who play Batman and Wonder Woman, respectively, in 2016’s “Man of Steel” sequel tentatively titled “Batman vs. Superman."

“It will be a further expansion of this universe,” said Mr. Silverman. “’Superman vs Batman’ will lead into ‘Justice League.’”

A script is still in development and Warner has not set a release date, though the movie is unlikely to come out before 2018. Mr. Silverman would not comment on what other heroes might join Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman in the movie. However the studio has recently been casting the role of Cyborg, a half-robotic hero who is expected to have a cameo in “Batman vs. Superman” and then appear in “Justice League.” Other DC heroes who have been in Justice League comic books include Aquaman, Flash and Green Lantern.

The plans for three superhero movies in relatively quick succession show how intent Warner is on catching up with rival Walt Disney Co.’s Marvel Studios in building a cinematic superhero universe after years lagging behind.

Although the “Dark Knight” trilogy was a hit, Warner’s other efforts such as “Green Lantern” and “Jonah Hex” have flopped. A “Justice League” movie with a young cast that was to be directed by George Miller of “Mad Max” fame nearly went into production in 2008 but was killed at the last minute.

Warner Bros. has several other movies in development unconnected to the Justice League that are based on DC superheroes and fantasy and crime titles from its Vertigo line of genre comics, said Mr. Silverman and Toby Emmerich, president of Warner’s New Line Cinema label. They include “Shazam,” “Metal Men,” “100 Bullets,” and “Fables.”

And while there are no plans yet for a “Justice League” spinoff featuring Ms. Gadot’s “Wonder Woman,” Warner executives said they are warm to the idea.

“That is our hope,” said Sue Kroll, president of worldwide marketing. “With the right script, that could be viable. The world is ready for her.”
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/...vie-exclusive/

Last edited by John-An; 04-27-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #645
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Default Re: Zack snyder: Director of the justice league

There's already a thread on the topic.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #646
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

So this movie is leading directly into Justice League.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 04-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #647
BvS117
Side-Kick

Quote:
A script is currently being developed and but it’s unlikely that Justice League will be released before 2018.
Affleck turns 42 this year. I wonder how many Justice League sequels they're planning on making. Also how many solo Batman films? If any.

Maybe they'll go the Pirates of the Caribbean/The Hobbit route and shoot Justice League 1 and 2 back to back.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #648
InJustice
Side-Kick

With Affleck's age in mind, and Batman being such a central character to the Justice League. I can't see JL being a trilogy like the Avengers. Perhaps WB just wants to get the DCCU over with Man of Steel, BvS, and the Justice League (with origin movies). So, in other words, it would be equivalent to Marvel's Phase I.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #649
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

YES!! I will finally see the Justice league one day. lol

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 04-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #650
Chip Chipperson
Dr. Pavel I'm CIA

i really hope Affleck will direct a hero movie one day

BELIEVE IN THE FLECK.
Closed Thread