The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #751
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 4

I personally had no problem with the colors, save for a couple of scenes, but I do hope they are ever so slightly more saturated in BvS. I am in no way a fan of the over saturated looks of TA and TASM2, but there's some middle ground to be had between those and MOS. And it is gorgeous on bluray Harley

Romans 8:38-39
Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #752
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Someone gets to explain VLC to me .
A DVD playback software with lots of codecs (including BluRay, I heard). You can download it here. http://www.videolan.org/index.html

Just click tools-effects and filters-Video Effects.

Then adjust the brightness/saturation/gamma until Supes looks like a normal Caucasian male in terms of skin tone

These are my settings.

And go from here..

To here.

The outdoor scenes are beautiful to watch, though the explosions are a little too bright and the flares are a bit more noticeable. Though seeing Superman's cape as bright red and his costume as dark blue is worth it

Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #753
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Yeah, if you simply adjust whatever you're using to watch the film, everything looks better. People don't look like they rarely see the sun or are sick.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #754
fake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
A DVD playback software with lots of codecs (including BluRay, I heard). You can download it here. http://www.videolan.org/index.html

Then adjust the brightness/saturation/gamma until Supes looks like a normal Caucasian male in terms of skin tone

These are my settings.

And go from here..

To here.

The outdoor scenes are beautiful to watch, though the explosions are a little too bright and the flares are a bit more noticeable. Though seeing Superman's cape as bright red and his costume as dark blue is worth it
Is your copy of the DVD bad or something?

This is what the same scene looks like on mine without any hue or saturation changes. Of course, the final screenshot you posted is brighter, but the original is not as dull as the one you posted

Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #755
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:

These are my settings.

And go from here..

To here.

You have now convinced me to use VLC to watch DVDs more often.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #756
batmanao23
In Affleck I hope

Ok this is getting ridiculous,

Jacob Sullivan ‏@sullivan2299 3h
If I hit 200 followers I will give some awesome info on the #BatmanvsSuperman film that I'm a crew member on and can say with no trouble4me

Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #757
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Amir did a great job and is legendary. There will be some of his influence present, plus some extra surprises!

Larry Fong is 50 percent troll and legit commentator. But this is one tweet I'm really excited about

Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #758
fake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanao23 View Post

If I hit 200 followers I will give some awesome info on the #BatmanvsSuperman film that I'm a crew member on and can say with no trouble4me
The guy is 100% legit, can't you tell judging by his pic taken with Denzel Washington?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #759
batmanao23
In Affleck I hope

They are all trolls, and they are all enjoying it.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #760
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I liked the naturalistic photography of MOS. Rewatching it, the way the camera moves in tighter like someone walking towards someone gives it a sense of immersion most CBM's cannot touch. Though he did go whipzoom crazy on Krypton

Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #761
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:

I really hope nobody is gullible enough to do this.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #762
batmanao23
In Affleck I hope

He's at 49 followers.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #763
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
I liked the naturalistic photography of MOS. Rewatching it, the way the camera moves in tighter like someone walking towards someone gives it a sense of immersion most CBM's cannot touch. Though he did go whipzoom crazy on Krypton
I agree. I even liked some of the zooms:

\S/T*
Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #764
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
Someone needs to explain why Snyder wanted those blah colors in MOS to me.
I don't know for sure what his reasons were. My educated guess is that he, along with others involved in the film's production, felt non-fans and once-in-a-while fans would only take Superman more seriously if the character was grounded in a very specific type of reality, one that is both dark and gloomy.

This endeavor sort of backfired, though. Like I was recently explaining to someone in another thread, it's part of the reason why MoS took a lot more criticism for showing stuff that other superhero films generally get away with. Now, I'm not suggesting Snyder should strive to make all of his comic-to-film adaptations more comedy-oriented (like Thor 2), but let's be honest: most people, I think, want to leave a film based on Superman (one of the most altruistic characters of all time) feeling uplifted, and creating a mood that's too dark takes away from that to some extent.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #765
batmanao23
In Affleck I hope

I'm going to stop posting tweets after this, because I don't want to stink up the forums with bull*****.

Jacob Sullivan ‏@sullivan2299 Apr 21
If I can get 200 followers I will post a pic with #HenryCavill @ZachSnyder and #BenAffleck all in the same shot n a shot of JesseEisenberg

Old 04-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #766
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
I'm going to stop posting tweets after this, because I don't want to stink up the forums with bull*****.

Jacob Sullivan ‏@sullivan2299 Apr 21
If I can get 200 followers I will post a pic with #HenryCavill @ZachSnyder and #BenAffleck all in the same shot n a shot of JesseEisenberg
Someone should tell him Eisenberg is in New Orleans filming a movie right now.

Dumbass.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #767
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
I don't know for sure what his reasons were. My educated guess is that he, along with others involved in the film's production, felt non-fans and once-in-a-while fans would only take Superman more seriously if the character was grounded in a very specific type of reality, one that is both dark and gloomy.

This endeavor sort of backfired, though. Like I was recently explaining to someone in another thread, it's part of the reason why MoS took a lot more criticism for showing stuff that other superhero films generally get away with. Now, I'm not suggesting Snyder should strive to make all of his comic-to-film adaptations more comedy-oriented (like Thor 2), but let's be honest: most people, I think, want to leave a film based on Superman (one of the most altruistic characters of all time) feeling uplifted, and creating a mood that's too dark takes away from that to some extent.
Funny enough, I think MOS should have started as an uplifting film, with sequels that gradually got darker (with higher stakes) as they went along.

Now I hope they have a more balanced tone, but I think the "not enough humor" complaint kind of stems from preconceptions of what the superhero genre SHOULD be. Yes, I think MOS could have benefited from a few more funny moments. But should a film be considered bad for not being funny enough outside of the comedy genre?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #768
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Funny enough, I think MOS should have started as an uplifting film, with sequels that gradually got darker (with higher stakes) as they went along.

Now I hope they have a more balanced tone, but I think the "not enough humor" complaint kind of stems from preconceptions of what the superhero genre SHOULD be. Yes, I think MOS could have benefited from a few more funny moments. But should a film be considered bad for not being funny enough outside of the comedy genre?
A little humor is fine, but I think it should be applied in moderation. Like you said, the key is to achieving a "more balanced" tone. If you're looking for your film to stand out based on the performance of one or more serious leading characters, I think it helps if you make use of other art forms (e.g., music, color, etc.) to lighten the mood a bit. When everything seems to point in one direction, though, it can feel a little overwhelming.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #769
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Someone needs to explain why Snyder wanted those blah colors in MOS to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Something something realistic first contact
1) Probably so it didn't look like yet another tv movie, but rather something distinct if not over done.

2) Cue the many scenes in which MOS didn't have the 'blah' colour palette.
The thing that bothers me about complaints of this nature with any film is that any movie worth it's salt tends to have a wide variety of colour palettes as the films rolls through, often times specific to mood or location. See begins, see blade see Xmen, see bay, see cameron....etc.

For example

Why he chose to pull a Begins and shoot his winter scenes in such a way...who knows, perhaps it's a visualist thing. Number one criticism with MOS criticism, 'generalization'.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #770
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post

You are correct. I think certain things about MOS, like the colors and the presence of Nolan as a producer, caused a gut reaction and/or over-reaction in some folks with these "They made Superman into batman" or "superman never smiled/moped the whole time" comments. Both are unfounded and yet people are utterly convinced. There are some other (more legit) factors that could be considered dark (harshness of superman's upbringing/his parents fears, etc.), but complaints about those are mixed in with the unfounded "superman never smiles" type complaints.

I prefer a more serious tone that only the last few DC films have provided, so I don't want any Thor 2 type humor. However, serious doesn't have to be grim. Something can be both serious and uplifting. I also hope for some non-cheesy humor in this film by way of Daily Planet and Clois scenes that I really hope they include.

\S/T*
Old 04-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #771
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I liked Mokri's cinematography in MOS, it was refreshing to see something different, something naturalistic, only issue i have is the over use of hand held shakey cam.

If Larry Fong can bring in some elements of Mokri's filming style (minus shaky cam) I will welcome it.

*\S/T*
Old 04-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #772
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree. I even liked some of the zooms:

This one worked great in context, but wow it looks hilarious in this gif.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:39 PM   #773
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
1) Probably so it didn't look like yet another tv movie, but rather something distinct if not over done.

2) Cue the many scenes in which MOS didn't have the 'blah' colour palette.
The thing that bothers me about complaints of this nature with any film is that any movie worth it's salt tends to have a wide variety of colour palettes as the films rolls through, often times specific to mood or location. See begins, see blade see Xmen, see bay, see cameron....etc.

For example

Why he chose to pull a Begins and shoot his winter scenes in such a way...who knows, perhaps it's a visualist thing. Number one criticism with MOS criticism, 'generalization'.
Many shots in MOS still looked beautiful, even with less than perfect saturation choices. This shot is a great example. It's awesome, but I still think the film could have looked better with more saturation overall. It's not that MOS looked bad; it's that it wasn't as great as something greater.

Check out the difference between these two (awesome) shots:

\S/T*
Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #774
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
I do think colors make a difference. Hopefully they'll keep hands off the saturation knob.

VLC is awesome
My Gawd…. Speechless… um Perfect?

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 AM   #775
Side-Kick

Quote:
Many shots in MOS still looked beautiful, even with less than perfect saturation choices. This shot is a great example. It's awesome, but I still think the film could have looked better with more saturation overall. It's not that MOS looked bad; it's that it wasn't as great as something greater.

Check out the difference between these two (awesome) shots:

That gif reminds me why Cavill was the perfect choice to embody Supes. Dude completely owns the role. And yep, I hope we see a bit more color in BvS than in MoS.

Best CBMs
1. Batman Begins 2. Man of Steel 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 4. The Dark Knight 5. Avengers
Closed Thread