The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #101
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Default Re: batman vs Superman box office prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113 View Post
So apparently a Disney chairman has hinted at Cap 3 being the one to move from that May date. I didn't expect Marvel to be the one to crack first but it would probably make the most sense.

Cap 2 proved early April release date can work, so why not just put Cap 3 there too? That would give BvS the ability to kick off the summer movie season on its' own, which I think is huge.
Cap 3 will be the second movie of phase 3 ant man being the 1st
and Marvel can't afford for Cap to bomb leaving cap3 Un may of 2016 will be suicide
bvs will kill it's dom take and cut in to the o.s take and 2 weeks after you have XA and 2 weeks later tasm3 now I hear starwars ep7 in may as well and

Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #102
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I should wait for the trailer but I'll say 800-900 m.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #103
kguillou
Side-Kick

Cap has already made almost 600 mil and still going strong, this April slot is working very well for Marvel and they should just stick with it. Cap 3 will have April all to itself and Warner can sort of market BvS as the "main event" of the summer. I mean, man, the marketing for this movie is just going to get everybody and their mother PUMPED for this. I can just see the giant billboards now with Superman and Batman staring at each other intensely in battle stance with the "VS." In between them. People are going to eat this up. This will have a MASSIVE OW.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #104
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
Cap has already made almost 600 mil and still going strong, this April slot is working very well for Marvel and they should just stick with it. Cap 3 will have April all to itself and Warner can sort of market BvS as the "main event" of the summer. I mean, man, the marketing for this movie is just going to get everybody and their mother PUMPED for this. I can just see the giant billboards now with Superman and Batman staring at each other intensely in battle stance with the "VS." In between them. People are going to eat this up. This will have a MASSIVE OW.
I just don't understand why people think this will not have a massive o.w this will be in the records for sure

Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #105
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalonewolf View Post
I just don't understand why people think this will not have a massive o.w this will be in the records for sure
I think it will have a good opening. I'm guessing 80-100 million or so, but hoping for it to make close to 2 billion or break records is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

\S/T*
Old 04-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #106
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
I think it will have a good opening. I'm guessing 80-100 million or so, but hoping for it to make close to 2 billion or break records is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
MOS opening at 116mill plus the differential created by the thursday landing it in the 120s and you not only assume it's sequel will land that far lower but the debut of wondy along with the return of batman.....
You wouldn't know MOS itself, actually claimed the highest opening for a starter from spidey 1.

I honestly just don't get it. I blame the detractors.

Curious how many people think Cap 3 is going to open under 96mill.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #107
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
MOS opening at 116mill plus the differential created by the thursday landing it in the 120s and you not only assume it's sequel will land that far lower but the debut of wondy along with the return of batman.....
You wouldn't know MOS itself, actually claimed the highest opening for a starter from spidey 1.

I honestly just don't get it. I blame the detractors.

Curious how many people think Cap 3 is going to open under 96mill.
The reason I guessed that is in part because it's still slated to open with Cap 3. If one of them moves, I would increase my estimate. Also, the reality is that some people didn't like MOS. It was a controversial movie. Some folks might be turned off. Of course, if BvsS has good word of mouth and people think some of the issues they had with MOS have been corrected, that might help it grow some legs and have a strong second week.

\S/T*
Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 AM   #108
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalonewolf View Post
I don't get it either. Avengers made $200+ million opening weekend coming off of solo films that weren't huge box office smashes (successful, but not box office breaking).

We have, in this one film, three of the most recognizable characters in the world. One of which, Batman, is probably the single most popular fictional character on the planet. If this doesn't have a $200 - 250 million opening weekend I will be extremely shocked.

Best CBMs
1. Batman Begins 2. Man of Steel 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 4. The Dark Knight 5. Avengers
Old 04-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #109
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
The reason I guessed that is in part because it's still slated to open with Cap 3. If one of them moves, I would increase my estimate. Also, the reality is that some people didn't like MOS. It was a controversial movie. Some folks might be turned off. Of course, if BvsS has good word of mouth and people think some of the issues they had with MOS have been corrected, that might help it grow some legs and have a strong second week.
I see, I didn't know you were guessing that for a head to head weekend(something that won't happen imo).

Secondly, do you have any idea how many people were 'turned off' by Transformers? People that care enough to be vocal about how 'turned off' they are the type of people that care enough to show up regardless. This is very much the paradigm of TF imo. Then there is the issue of if they are right, I personally think the GA has spoken and is continuing to speak on the matter. How good the movie is in and of itself(without people deeming uplifting is some prerequisite of film) is rarely discussed imo.

This very clearly isn't the Superman Returns situation.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #110
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
I see, I didn't know you were guessing that for a head to head weekend(something that won't happen imo).

Secondly, do you have any idea how many people were 'turned off' by Transformers? People that care enough to be vocal about how 'turned off' they are the type of people that care enough to show up regardless. This is very much the paradigm of TF imo. Then there is the issue of if they are right, I personally think the GA has spoken and is continuing to speak on the matter. How good the movie is in and of itself(without people deeming uplifting is some prerequisite of film) is rarely discussed imo.

If this doesn't open with Cap 3 (which I hope it doesn't), I would estimate 115-120 million opening.

I sort of agree with you about the MOS/Transformers thing, but...I go back and forth. MOS is a bit of a different situation. With transformers, people know to expect nothing deep. They know it's just going to be hot chicks running bouncily and intense robot action. It's targeted at an audience that wants to see that and those people are happy to flock to the theater. MOS promised to be something deeper. People were expecting Dark Knight type goodness, not something dumb like Transformers. Some people think MOS didn't deliver and were royally pissed off. While I'm sure some of the more fanboyish of those folks will still see BvsS, I'm not sure about GA members that didn't get what they were expecting. I wouldn't put it past them to write off a sequel by Snyder. However, MOS did well on DVD, so evidently some people like it. I just find it hard to predict the response to this after MOS caused such an uproar. People have weird and intense attitudes towards it and still argue over it today.

\S/T*
Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 AM   #111
Masone
Side-Kick

Quote:

The negativity towards this film tends to be overstated. The negativity mostly came from the critics, and they mean absolutely nothing to the box office of a film like this. Check the cinema score, check the DVD sales, check how MOS was voted by the people as the best CBM of 2013. Even without Batman or Wonder Woman, this movie ends up with at least 850 worldwide. The international box office would see to that.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #112
Masone
Side-Kick

Quote:
If this doesn't open with Cap 3 (which I hope it doesn't), I would estimate 115-120 million opening.

I sort of agree with you about the MOS/Transformers thing, but...I go back and forth. MOS is a bit of a different situation. With transformers, people know to expect nothing deep. They know it's just going to be hot chicks running bouncily and intense robot action. It's targeted at an audience that wants to see that and those people are happy to flock to the theater. MOS promised to be something deeper. People were expecting Dark Knight type goodness, not something dumb like Transformers. Some people think MOS didn't deliver and were royally pissed off. While I'm sure some of the more fanboyish of those folks will still see BvsS, I'm not sure about GA members that didn't get what they were expecting. I wouldn't put it past them to write off a sequel by Snyder. However, MOS did well on DVD, so evidently some people like it. I just find it hard to predict the response to this after MOS caused such an uproar. People have weird and intense attitudes towards it and still argue over it today.
The negativity among the non-critics is being way overstated. The movie was a hit among the moviegoer crowd. You're obviously going to have negativity with any movie really, but I think some are letting the negative nancys convince them that there are more of them than there actually are.

Reminds me of this trope. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BackupBluff

Old 04-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #113
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Maybe the negative Nancies are influening my thoughts on this. I don't know.

\S/T*
Old 04-23-2014, 12:43 AM   #114
Masone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe the negative Nancies are influening my thoughts on this. I don't know.
They are on the constant attack, and are always the loudest ones. Consistently changing the course of threads, changing positives into negatives, attacking when everyone's guard is down, spread out on different boards and spreading their negativity in the most unrelated of threads. It can easily change your perception. When they're spreading that negative energy, it's easy to forget the actual perception from the people outside of their scope.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #115
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masone View Post
They are on the constant attack, and are always the loudest ones. Consistently changing the course of threads, changing positives into negatives, attacking when everyone's guard is down, spread out on different boards and spreading their negativity in the most unrelated of threads. It can easily change your perception. When they're spreading that negative energy, it's easy to forget the actual perception from the people outside of their scope.
Well said sir, well said.

Best CBMs
1. Batman Begins 2. Man of Steel 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 4. The Dark Knight 5. Avengers
Old 04-23-2014, 01:02 AM   #116
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masone View Post
You're probably right.

\S/T*
Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #117
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Since the stakes are now clearly higher for the Captain America brand, I think common sense will prevail. Captain America 3 will move to an early april slot, just like CATWS and will basically get an entire month to work its quadrants.
Now if Disney really wants to dwarf BvS box office numbers they should release Star Wars VII a week after WB's blockbuster. That would be good competition.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #118
Juha Bach
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
Since the stakes are now clearly higher for the Captain America brand, I think common sense will prevail. Captain America 3 will move to an early april slot, just like CATWS and will basically get an entire month to work its quadrants.
Now if Disney really wants to dwarf BvS box office numbers they should release Star Wars VII a week after WB's blockbuster. That would be good competition.
And warner brother would simply move the film back to the dec 2015 episode 7 slot. Problem solved.Heck i hope star wars 7 moves to may as there is a chance i get to see this film earlier.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #119
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
What Part of Cap 3 don't stand a chance with this movie don't you guys understand the only people that will be going to see cap 3 will be the Marvel fan base that day which that means cap 3 is looking as at a 50 mil o.w at best because bvs will take everything that weekend dom and o.s I don't see Cap3 making 400ww if it stays but 800ww of it moves up to April
BvS has no worries it will easily double mos opening weekend with bad wom and reach 300 mil o.w with good wom
this movie will make 1.2bil+ it will have a free 2 week run until Xmen -A and a 3 week run until TASM3

Old 04-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #120
kguillou
Side-Kick

Are we now expecting Episode VII to be delayed as well?

One other thing that ive been thinking about and this may be another thread entirely but...with BvS starting filming in May and wrapping up in the Fall....why do they need a whole year and a half of post production? Isn't that a little too much? Presumably by this time next year all the special effects and post prod work should be finished so why hold on to the film that long?

Last edited by kguillou; 04-23-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #121
supersupernico
New User - Level 0

Smile Re: batman vs Superman box office prediction

FIRST TRAILER !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9M1TV1e37Y

Old 04-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #122
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:

One other thing that ive been thinking about and this may be another thread entirely but...with BvS starting filming in May and wrapping up in the Fall....why do they need a whole year and a half of post production? Isn't that a little too much? Presumably by this time next year all the special effects and post prod work should be finished so why hold on to the film that long?
If principal photography indeed starts on may 19th that would be a tight schedule if they intended to release it anytime next summer depending on the amount of post-production work required.
Now they could've have taken a winter spot but WB doesn't like to release those films out of the summer season (Green Lantern was initially set for a winter release as well as Man Of Steel and both got delayed to the next summer season).

Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #123
kguillou
Side-Kick

True. But I think they really need to rethink their strategy. Skyfall, the Hobbit and Hunger Gamers have proved that you can make boat loads of money in the Fall/Winter. Granted, next Winter tentatively has the final Hunger Games, Bond 24 and Star Wars so maybe that isnt a viable option for them unless one of them moves.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #124
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:

I think it's because they are making more than one movie as I said before it makes perfect sense
they have no reason to push it back an entire year
The only one I can think of is their shooting more than one movie. Which I hope is wonder woman

Old 04-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #125
Lord
All Mighty

As much as i would prefer Wonder Woman to get her oun movie before, i think it makes more sence for the 2nd film to be Justice League, my guess is that WB isn't very good at the waiting game, which is a shame, since the waiting game could possibly give them more money in the end.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Closed Thread