The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 04-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #601
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Every great team needs a leader" The Mr Fantastic Thread

I don't get the talk of Reed not being a leader in ULTIMATE FF.

I'm on the third storyline, and he's pretty much exactly that. Calling the shots and both planning and leading the missions. The first two storylines had him develop into a leader.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #602
EssayM
Just A Guy

Come to think of it, is Teller still attached to this? Both this movie and the Divergent sequel are supposed to start shooting this month, so he would probably have a hard time doing both shoots simultaneously (unless maybe he has a smaller role in the second Divergent book? Can someone who's read it let me know about that?)

Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #603
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
And you just did the same....no where in Willie's post did he say what you just posted…
I don't know what you're referring to.

Quote:
He was simply giving you more explanation as to why he believes Reed is more of an Indiana Jones not only in advertures but in the fact that Jones is a professor as was Reed at one point.

I would say he is a combination of both Sagan (Intellect) and Indiana Jones (Adverturous spirit, and physical ability). But to say that he is more of a Sagan than Jones, POSSIBLY in the UFF because he is somewhat more of a geek in these, and Sue is actually more of the leader of the group, but from a 616 stand point, he has been physical in close to 100% of the comics having gone through the Essentials. As far as Marvel Knights, MK Fantastic Four 1234, was total mind game with Doom, but other than that he has been physical in all of those as well. As far as F4 Adventures, I don't believe there is an issue where he has not shown an enormous amount of physicality.

No doubt Reed could go toe to toe with Sagan, but he could also go toe to toe with Jones and win easily as far as a physical match. His physicality is not shown in the comics "sometimes" it is shown throughout the comics issue by issue maybe not in a fist fight, but in all other kinds of ways using his stretching ability as well as his inventions. There is no debate in either of those two things, it has been proven throughout any of the issues of this comic.

What Willie was saying that he was getting from you post is that you feel that Reed should be more of a Carl Sagan type character rather than Indiana Jones.
Okay, he's physical. But that doesn't have anything to do with my point. My entire point is that, in terms of his personality, he and Indiana Jones are nothing alike. They don't think the same way, they don't act the same way, they don't talk the same way, they don't carry themselves the same way, and their world views are completely different. The only thing they have in common is that they engage in some of the same activities. In terms of his personality, he's much more like Carl Sagan.

Quote:
This is the "text" so to speak of Reed Richard's in the comics, but as we know the comics are also as much if not more of a visual, and though he "wanted" to be as you say, in the end, he would have to use his strenth, physical abilities to win in the end. He is a "Ben/Thing" type character? of course not, but he is right next to Ben when the chips are down, he certainly is not in the background with his head in an experiment.
And I have never said that he should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post

Reed certainly has some elements of Sagan, but the idea of getting into the minutiae (such as Indiana Jones' 'womanizing' or Carl Sagan's three wives) will just lead us down a never-ending path of comparing and contrasting 3 distinct and different personalities.

Reed is absolutely a thoughtful person who would rather think his way out of a situation than fight - if possible - but like Indiana Jones, he isn't content to just stay in the lab. And like Indiana Jones, he doesn't go out fighting for the sake of fighting, but when you're out in the dangerous world/universe that the writers have created for both characters, fights are inevitable.
But that's where the similarity between those two characters ends. In all other respects, he's a completely different character. And even by that standard, they both handle it differently. I could never imagine Reed Richards doing something like this:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #604
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I could never imagine Reed Richards doing something like this:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Oh come on. That scene wasn't even in the script. They had a lengthy scene in which Indy pulls out his whip and engages in a lengthy battle, but after a lot of practicing and food poisoning, Harrison Ford was getting tired of the whole thing and improvised what you see there. It is a great, iconic moment in film history because it's completely unexpected but perfect in the context of the action flik.

We know who Indiana Jones is, and he's not a cold-blooded murderer just because they decided to leave that one fun, funny, improvised scene in the movie.

You're getting silly now.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #605
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Oh come on. That scene wasn't even in the script. They had a lengthy scene in which Indy pulls out his whip and engages in a lengthy battle, but after a lot of practicing and food poisoning, Harrison Ford was getting tired of the whole thing and improvised what you see there. It is a great, iconic moment in film history because it's completely unexpected but perfect in the context of the action flik.

We know who Indiana Jones is, and he's not a cold-blooded murderer just because they decided to leave that one fun, funny, improvised scene in the movie.

You're getting silly now.
What does it matter if it wasn't in the script? It was in the movie, and it informed the character.

Indiana Jones is absolutely a cold blooded murderer. He kills dudes without a moment's hesitation or remorse throughout all of the movies. It's a pretty consistent character trait. He throws a guy under tank treads, shoots down a plane, throws a guy out of an aircraft, shoves a spear through a guy's chest in a nightclub, intentionally sets off magic fire rocks so a guy will plunge into a river filled with crocodiles, throws a guy under a giant steamroller thing, he was totally willing to kill a bunch of people with a rocket launcher, including his love interest, and only hesitated because he didn't want to damage a priceless artifact, he list goes on. Indiana Jones straight up murders a lot of people.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by The Question; 04-06-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #606
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

@The Question...Your Socratic style of discussion is just tiring...and time consuming. I don't have the time...

Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #607
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't see how they can bring any of 616 in, unless it is just one of the story arcs. I guess they could pull the characterization and look of the 4 from UFF and use a story arc from 616.

But, IMO....that would be pretty stupid of the, they already have a large voice of the 616 fans yelling, if they did what I just proposed, that would piss them off even more.
But haven't they done something similar with the avengers film, where the film was a combination of the 616 Avengers and the Ultimates without being completely one or the other and that seemed to work out well.

Here is a good question, what elements from UFF would be okay for a film and which ones would be unacceptable? I assume everyone here would not want to see Dr. Doom with goat legs, but if they used say Ultimate Mole Man over 616 Mole Man, would that be okay?

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #608
Venomfan
Side-Kick

i feel like the point is, we don't want to see another Reed with no backbone. Aside from Tony Stark, almost every super genius in movies is shown as socially inept and cowardly. Iv just read the first two omnibus' and Reed is soooo not like that. Guy is super tough and doesn't take crap

Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #609
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomfan View Post
i feel like the point is, we don't want to see another Reed with no backbone. Aside from Tony Stark, almost every super genius in movies is shown as socially inept and cowardly. Iv just read the first two omnibus' and Reed is soooo not like that. Guy is super tough and doesn't take crap
I don't see a reason to think that Teller will give us a Reed with no backbone. That seems based entirely on his physical characteristics, which seems silly to me.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #610
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomfan View Post
You mean like Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, Norman Osborne, Ra's Al Ghul and Bruce Wayne are geniuses with no backbones.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)

Last edited by Paradox1; 04-07-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #611
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
But haven't they done something similar with the avengers film, where the film was a combination of the 616 Avengers and the Ultimates without being completely one or the other and that seemed to work out well.

Here is a good question, what elements from UFF would be okay for a film and which ones would be unacceptable? I assume everyone here would not want to see Dr. Doom with goat legs, but if they used say Ultimate Mole Man over 616 Mole Man, would that be okay?
I don't necessarily dislike the UFF...but for those that have been hoping for a 616 movie for decades, I can see how they would dislike pretty much anything about the UFF.

I have not read any other comics, so I couldn't comment on the differences say in Spider Man or USM, Avengers, or UA....I have no clue, but I do know that 616 FF and UFF are very different, except for perhaps Johnny, and Ben for the most part...but Sue and Reed, IMO are very different....and of course yes Doom is different as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #612
Venomfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
You mean like Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, Norman Osborne, Ra's Al Ghul and Bruce Wayne are geniuses with no backbones.
bruce banner is the only one of those guys close to being shown to be a super genius on film. Peter Parker in the sam raimi trilogy definitely had no back bone lol

Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #613
EssayM
Just A Guy

Teller at the Divergent premiere:

Old 04-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #614
kosh33
MCU Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Fox will be faced with another awkward moment in June 2015

good post Dark Raven!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #615
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Anyone else think this sounds a little creepy/inappropriate?
Well yeah, I'm describing a male role model from 1961.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #616
Sardaukar
Side-Kick

I was watching the new flick The Machine the other night and thought how fitting an actor like Toby Stephens would've been for Reed. He plays a really smart scientist in this one.

Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #617
Sardaukar
Side-Kick

Come to think of it, his co-star in that movie wouldn't have made a bad Sue!

Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #618
EssayM
Just A Guy

Throwing this out there: apparently Teller's next film, the Sundance-winning Whiplash, is set to have a theatrical release in October. The film has Teller as a perfectionist drum student being pushed to his breaking point by a borderline abusive music instructor (J.K. Simmons).

From what little I've heard about it (that synopsis and some promo pics), it sounds like this role could help Teller break away from the whole comedy doofus reputation he's gotten from movies like That Awkward Moment, and instead develop more of a serious reputation.

Or, if nothing else, at least you get to see J. Jonah Jameson dishing out some R. Lee Ermey-style verbal abuse to Miles Teller.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #619
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I guess we'll see a trailer by this Thanksgiving or Christmas. I wonder if Reed will have some very proactive strategies in dealing with the various challenges the team will face. I'd also like to see him use his skill at cobbling together gadgets and helpful technology.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #620
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Some images of Teller from the beginning of the month…

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:40 AM   #621
Smilodon
Side-Kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuImW1dWAk

Here's a clip from Whiplash. Early reviews indicate the film and Teller are great, so this could be another FC situation with its casting.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #622
JP
Smelly

Yesterday

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #623
Paradox1
Side-Kick

This Reed won't be confused for the previous films in no shape or form.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #624
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I hope they keep Reed a geek, and don't try to make him "cool" like they did to some extant in the Story FF films.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #625
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
I hope they keep Reed a geek, and don't try to make him "cool" like they did to some extant in the Story FF films.
They didn't make him cool. They made him too much of a geek. And now you want it even more.