The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

View Poll Results: Which Cast is Better?
Tim Story's Cast 86 75.44%
Josh Trank's Cast 28 24.56%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #151
Eddie
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,367
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Nick Fury may very well be the worst example one could use in defense of turning white characters black for the movie. Sam Jackson Fury goes back to The Ultimates and characters fairly regularly are drastically different in alternate universe comics. Ultimate Fury was extremely popular with the fans and was already making the transition into other media before Iron Man came out. Casting Sam Jackson was less "let's be diverse for the sake of diversity" and more "let's use the version modern fans actually care about".

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #152
bubbadoom
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,578
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
Wait, so how is switching Blade's race problematic? Nothing about his backstory requires him to be black, so what's the issue? Why can't we have a Chris Evans, Tom Hardy, or Christian Bale as Bane? Why is casting to his race suddenly important, moreso than with a character like Johnny Storm, who will still retain his white sister in this movie?

Apparently according to you it's okay to take a white character and turn them black, but taking a black character and turning them white? Oh yeah, that's off limits. Oh, the hypocrisy...

As for Nick Fury and Electro, Nick Fury and Electro aren't Johnny Storm. They're not a member of Marvel's first superhero team, and one of the biggest superhero teams in comics. Simply put, the Fantastic Four are more important. Changing around a C-List villain like Electro doesn't matter, because Electro as a character has never really mattered much to begin with. The Fantastic Four, however, are important, and more care should be taken to get them right.

That's not to say I wouldn't have preferred a Nick Fury and Electro closer to the comics, and I wouldn't have minded an adaptation of Electro's costume either, but again, the Fantastic Four are far more important than Nick Fury and Electro. So while it does bug me, it's nowhere near as much as the casting of Johnny Storm (That and I have no interest in The Amazing Spider-Man movie series. I didn't see the first and I won't be seeing this one either).

If people want more black characters in CBM's, then great, let's see Luke Cage, Black Panther, Bishop, War Machine, Photon, Crimson Avenger, Falcon, Blue Marvel, Icon, Static, Cyborg, John Stewart, Blade, Deathlok, etc. But I don't and won't support the mangling of my favorite characters just to meet some PC quota. The Fantastic Four's been around for 50 years for good reason. So how about making an actual Fantastic Four movie instead of whatever this movie's supposed to be?
Well put -

Looking at the three main black Marvel characters we have gotten on screen thus far - Storm, War Machine, and Falcon - from a story stand point there is NO reason for any of them to be black - their race has ZERO to do with their character as portrayed in the movie - but had they been changed to anything other than black in the films I am confident those of us objecting to this pointless change in Johnny Storm would be reacting the same way.

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #153
coreymb16
Side-Kick
 
coreymb16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: far far away.....
Posts: 637
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
Wait, so how is switching Blade's race problematic? Nothing about his backstory requires him to be black, so what's the issue? Why can't we have a Chris Evans, Tom Hardy, or Christian Bale as Bane? Why is casting to his race suddenly important, moreso than with a character like Johnny Storm, who will still retain his white sister in this movie?

Apparently according to you it's okay to take a white character and turn them black, but taking a black character and turning them white? Oh yeah, that's off limits. Oh, the hypocrisy...

As for Nick Fury and Electro, Nick Fury and Electro aren't Johnny Storm. They're not a member of Marvel's first superhero team, and one of the biggest superhero teams in comics. Simply put, the Fantastic Four are more important. Changing around a C-List villain like Electro doesn't matter, because Electro as a character has never really mattered much to begin with. The Fantastic Four, however, are important, and more care should be taken to get them right.

That's not to say I wouldn't have preferred a Nick Fury and Electro closer to the comics, and I wouldn't have minded an adaptation of Electro's costume either, but again, the Fantastic Four are far more important than Nick Fury and Electro. So while it does bug me, it's nowhere near as much as the casting of Johnny Storm (That and I have no interest in The Amazing Spider-Man movie series. I didn't see the first and I won't be seeing this one either).

If people want more black characters in CBM's, then great, let's see Luke Cage, Black Panther, Bishop, War Machine, Photon, Crimson Avenger, Falcon, Blue Marvel, Icon, Static, Cyborg, John Stewart, Blade, Deathlok, etc. But I don't and won't support the mangling of my favorite characters just to meet some PC quota. The Fantastic Four's been around for 50 years for good reason. So how about making an actual Fantastic Four movie instead of whatever this movie's supposed to be?
What is that supposed to mean? Why has it been around for 50 years? Because they were white? What? Your uses of the word IMPORTANT sound really questionable in your post. The more important the character is to you, the more the character HAS to be white? Fantastic Four movie is sure getting a lot of hate for a movie that has no story or trailer yet. It makes me question people's motives.

__________________
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.

-Mark Twain
coreymb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #154
Hurm...
Side-Kick
 
Hurm...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA, Canada, England
Posts: 4,099
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Trank's cast is better by a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long shot. And I think they'll have better material to work with too.

__________________

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM



Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #155
Mr_336
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Braxiatel Collection
Posts: 362
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurm... View Post
Trank's cast is better by a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long shot. And I think they'll have better material to work with too.
Ultimate FF is better material?

Mr_336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #156
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cheam, Surrey, UK
Posts: 718
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Both cast choices are dire in both films....

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:54 AM   #157
The.Brotherhood
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 261
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

If given the right script and minus alba, tim story's fantastic four has 'THE POTENTIAL' to be a good film, trank's version can't tell now but if they're going to put alot of twists and turns to the general source then they will always be the one that will be front and center of the IN NAME ONLY comic book movies.

The.Brotherhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #158
agentorange
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 271
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

I loved Tim Story's F4 films. I dont understand why they get so much flak. But maybe cause I've never read the comics so im looking at it from a film aspect instead of how the comicbook world looked at it.

agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #159
Donut
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,082
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Brotherhood View Post
If given the right script and minus alba, tim story's fantastic four has 'THE POTENTIAL' to be a good film, trank's version can't tell now but if they're going to put alot of twists and turns to the general source then they will always be the one that will be front and center of the IN NAME ONLY comic book movies.
The last time a Comic Book movie pulled a Josh Trank was Catwoman & look at how that turned out

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #160
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 26,126
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

...what?

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #161
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion and the Baxter Building
Posts: 19,413
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

I miss the original cast.

I wish Fox made a third movie with them!

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | JEAN GREY | PORTRAYED BY FAMKE JANNSEN
"All kind of things." - X1
"This is the only way" - X2
"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #162
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,986
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I miss the original cast.

I wish Fox made a third movie with them!
Seconded.

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.

We are T. H. E. M.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #163
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,933
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreymb16 View Post
What is that supposed to mean? Why has it been around for 50 years? Because they were white? What? Your uses of the word IMPORTANT sound really questionable in your post. The more important the character is to you, the more the character HAS to be white? Fantastic Four movie is sure getting a lot of hate for a movie that has no story or trailer yet. It makes me question people's motives.
They aren't saying that because they are white they are important. They are saying, the artwork (which is as much of importance to a comic book as the writing, probably more so to some) has been basically the same for over 50 years. THAT is why it is important for them to see that same "look" on the big screen. They feel you are adapting the artwork as much as you are the characterization and storylines.

Don't try to make it something that it isn't by "putting words in their mouth" to make an argument.

Don't go there....we have been there already, it was discussed to ad nauseam and we have moved on.

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #164
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,933
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I miss the original cast.

I wish Fox made a third movie with them!

I would have liked for them to have been given a chance with a solid director,writing team, and editing team.


OH, AND FIRE THE ENTIRE MAKE UP AND HAIR STAFF FROM THE 2ND MOVIE AS WELL.

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:00 AM   #165
Mr.T
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 301
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

I'm on the fence with the Human Torch change, only because I'm wondering why not just do it right and change Sue as well? Fox think the big screen can't handle an interracial relationship between a white Reed & black Sue? It screams of the typical white guys "Token Black". Do it right and change Sue and keep them real blood siblings.

Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #166
harryoscop
Get Spidey in the MCU!
 
harryoscop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Avengers/Justice League headquarters
Posts: 2,924
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Don't understand why you guys keep saying "could'v made her black since Johnny's black!" Haven't you guys ever heard of a multiraciel family??

harryoscop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #167
starscream22
Side-Kick
 
starscream22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 689
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoscop View Post
Don't understand why you guys keep saying "could'v made her black since Johnny's black!" Haven't you guys ever heard of a multiraciel family??
Yep, still don't care.

And won't care till Marvel gets this franchise back.

starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #168
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,853
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoscop View Post
Don't understand why you guys keep saying "could'v made her black since Johnny's black!" Haven't you guys ever heard of a multiraciel family??
Most mixed race families don't have one kid look 100% black, and the other 100% lilly white aryan.

Also, even if its possible, its still nauseating for the motivation: Fox isn't casting Sue as a white woman to progressively represent mixed race families. Fox cast Sue as a white woman because of course the hero has to have a lilly white blonde love interest. If they cast *Sue* as black and Johnny as white, *then* I'd be impressed.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #169
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,986
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

When people complain about Sue not being black,I always wonder why not go all the way and make Reed & Ben black?Kinda like the black Odd Couple back in the day.Same characters,all black cast.What's the difference at this point?And that might actually make the picture interesting.

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.

We are T. H. E. M.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #170
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,853
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

No reason, other than that Hollywood would never make it. Of course, there's no particular reason why they should change Ben or Reed, aside from whim. Whereas with Sue, there *is* a particular reason: "Because you've already decided her brother is black."

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #171
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 8,064
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

The racial issue is a sidenote at this point. There are so many freaking things wrong with this production that it's irrelevant to even talk about it. If that were the only issue with this movie, I could deal with it. I wouldn't like it, but I could deal with it.

The real issue now is that the film makers are taking a dump on the source material. They are going to make a movie that has nothing to do with the FF, but make some pseudo chronicle spin off because Josh Trank can't get a green light for a real Chronicle sequel.

__________________
"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #172
Mr.T
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 301
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Most mixed race families don't have one kid look 100% black, and the other 100% lilly white aryan.

Also, even if its possible, its still nauseating for the motivation: Fox isn't casting Sue as a white woman to progressively represent mixed race families. Fox cast Sue as a white woman because of course the hero has to have a lilly white blonde love interest. If they cast *Sue* as black and Johnny as white, *then* I'd be impressed.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #173
Nokio
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,227
Default Re: Which Cast is Better?

Story's cast was way better. Story was saddled with a bad script. Alba was the weak link, I love her but she was terriably miscast as Sue. The Thing should've been CGI with Chiklis doing motion capture.

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.